BP

frizzers

This is an interesting one. The chart pattern is clearly down, but a number of indicators are suggesting that this is oversold. One I like, the money flow index looks to be in an upward trend (albeit a shaky one), which may indicate this is about to turn.

Sitting at a year low, I would need to have a look at the fundamentals to see if there is any particular reason why it is sinking, but this is one to keep an eye on if your outlook is more long term.

• 2 years later...
I'm tempted to start a position in BP. However, 450p seems like an important support level on the chart. If it breaks 450p I could see it dropping below 420p.

Any chartists out there with an opinion on this stock?

Just started off the nippers CTF with an investment in BP at 455. Looks to me like the volume is quite low so should hold 450 this time round however on a LT weekly chart the recent rebound from 350 to 550 looks suspiscioulsy like a retracement of a "once trod path", not one for the buy and hold maybe.

Just started off the nippers CTF with an investment in BP at 455. Looks to me like the volume is quite low so should hold 450 this time round however on a LT weekly chart the recent rebound from 350 to 550 looks suspiscioulsy like a retracement of a "once trod path", not one for the buy and hold maybe.

Famous last words. Broken 450 today. I think the indices could make their final low this week, so potentially could see BP pushed towards the bottom of the trading range.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This thread seems a bit out of date.

Anyone got opinions on the future direction of BP.

I don't have ANY shares and thought I would like to make my FIRST trade in something related to oil hence BP.

I am not in the position to trade daily so am looking for buy and hold options.

All opinions and links appreciated in the interests of doing my own research.

This thread seems a bit out of date.

Anyone got opinions on the future direction of BP.

I don't have ANY shares and thought I would like to make my FIRST trade in something related to oil hence BP.

I am not in the position to trade daily so am looking for buy and hold options.

All opinions and links appreciated in the interests of doing my own research.

I have also been thinking about buying shares in oil, mining and the chinese stock market. But not just yet.

I could be completely wrong about this but I feel we could see another big leg down in all stock markets in perhaps a good few months time. I imagine this will be a good time to buy very cheaply.

That is my optimistic view. My pessimistic one is that we will see continued wealth destruction for a decade.

My one year old has decided to hold his for the next month or so/'til this intermediate rally tops and then chuck them out.

Target 550.....

That's impressive. He/she should be running a bank, couldn't do any worse.

I personally think that referring to a stock or derivative as cheap has little meaning <for me personally>.

I don't believe BP is cheap, since this stock spent from '88 to '95 ranging around $20, so that's where the long term support lies...........

I prefer to wait for a change in trend, and March has demonstrated this, with some volume.

Along with that, we need to look at the fundamentals and though demand is clearly down; even if oil gets cheaper, a long term position on BP will return some value since oil will start to move up.... the question is 'when' and to what levels.

So, I'm long BP but don't have an emotional attachment :rolleyes:

MunsterK

• 2 weeks later...
I personally think that referring to a stock or derivative as cheap has little meaning <for me personally>.

I don't believe BP is cheap, since this stock spent from '88 to '95 ranging around $20, so that's where the long term support lies...........

I prefer to wait for a change in trend, and March has demonstrated this, with some volume.

Along with that, we need to look at the fundamentals and though demand is clearly down; even if oil gets cheaper, a long term position on BP will return some value since oil will start to move up.... the question is 'when' and to what levels.

So, I'm long BP but don't have an emotional attachment :rolleyes:

MunsterK

Well someone I know says that a cheap stock can always get cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Im recently new in the stock market, and have decided to invest in Atkins(WS) and BP.

My reasoning behind BP, was the fact that until Oil runs out in the world or the mass production of Renewable transport, everyone in the world will need oil.

This should mean that oil prices go up, however at this current time Oil prices are going down. I was wondering whether or not anybody thinks that Oil price can go up enough to make my investment worth while, and maybe when I should let go of my shares in BP (Currently at 451p- bought at 445).

BP, borrowing to make the dividend payment?

At the current price, the shares are yielding just under 8pc, which is very impressive. The company is borrowing to make the payment, with gearing rising to 23pc from 19pc at the same stage last year.

Of course if oil prices fall further the company could breach the top of its target gearing range of 30pc next year to make the payment. However, Questor believes that the group's business will be sufficiently cash generative to deal with any further borrowing if this happens. In 2009, BP expects cash inflows and outflows would be in balance at an oil price of $60 a barrel.

=====================

BP's major attraction is its dividend and, for this great yield, shares in BP are a buy, despite the subdued oil price.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets...t--yet-....html

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering about BP at the moment. The share price looks attractive, but it would appear that the oil stocks have fallen perhaps as a warning that the price of oil itself is pulling back, the shares could go lower? It's in a bit of a downtrend and I'm now looking for around 450p - maybe?

11 June 2009

"Oh, you want an oil price prediction? We don't do predictions," was BP chief economist Christof Ruehl's response to one question at the launch of BP's annual Statistical Review of World Energy yesterday - but then he near-enough made one anyway. As oil broke through $70 the same day, Mr Ruehl warned that people expecting prices to remain solid at current levels had 'reason to be worried'.

http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/Market...re-too-high.jsp

Archived