Commander T's Diary

With the troubles of the Rouble, Russian companies appear to be cheaper as you can get much more for your £.

But perhaps there might be more troubles ahead, with capital controls?

====

Companies for future reference, listed in London:

Gazprom [gas] (GAZ)

Uralkali [potash] (UKRA)

Evraz [steel, mining] (EVR)

Novorossiysk [commercial sea port] (NCSP)

Norilsk Nickel [metals] (MNOD)

Petropavlovsk [gold] (POG)

Urals Energy [oil] (UEN)

Zoltav [oil and gas exploration] (ZOL)

Highland [gold] (HGM)

PhosAgro [potash] (PHOR)

Ferrexpo [iron] (FXPO) (In Ukraine)

United Company RUSAL [Euronext exchange RUSAL]

Market Vectors Russian ETF (RSX)

That's an interesting watchlist, the RSX ETF might be a good turnaround story once the bottom is in.

Of the others POG I've traded odd times, but it's long been suspected to have cash concerns, which aside from the Gold price have really led to its s.p demise; see the heavily discounted Rights Issue recently announced at 5p. Once out the way and an upturn in physical prices, given production costs of circa $900/Oz and falling. Take into account the Rouble and could be a big rerate coming, but I've watched people catching that falling knife a long time and it's still not yet stopped!

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russia raises rates in emergency move as rouble collapses

(Reuters) - Russia's central bank raised its key interest rate to 17 percent from 10.5 percent early Tuesday in an emergency move to halt a collapse in the rouble as oil prices decline and the country's sanctions-hit economy slides toward recession.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/12/16/uk-russia-cbank-rates-idUKKBN0JT2IF20141216

----

Crisis not over yet. Petropavlovsk [POG] - lots of pain on the LSE thread - people are thousands if not hundreds of thousands underwater. A lot of scorn for the directors - but they are sailing against strong headwinds.

Never lost anything life- changing like this

I think Chili is suffering, Treeshake lost out and British too ( among others)
These shares are worthless low.
Yes I am afraid I scorn the selfish- the truly selfish.They do what they do with full knowledge..
I do not believe PH and PM had no other choice. Far from it.They are fully aware.
Sadly I do meet this in all walks of life, but this was a corking deception.
I was caught in endowments, RBS, HBOs, NRock and others. I survived them, but not really this bad until now.At least I own my house, but savings gone.
I invested too much by averaging down and was then taken for a mug with no escape route as I didn't sell out early enough.
I feel it would be a good thing for PH to know the devastation he has brought about. Somehow. Clinically. No bombs Chili :)
He is rich but has ruined those who are not and in a decriptful way ( restoring investor value !!!!!!!!! AGM
Hey thanks for the kind post
A life well lived eh?

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChat.asp?ShareTicker=POG

Closing price on POG.L yesterday:

7.61arrow_dn_sm.gif -1.07 : -12.33%

Open: 8.79

High: 8.79

Low: 7.25

Volume: 3,398,213

Percent Change

52 Week Range:

7.25 to 98.25

I'm very glad I never bought any.

Never got round to doing the necessary research

POG looked cheap, and it got even cheaper. It is safer to watch from the sidelines.

I think we might see some conclusion to the Rouble, but this is likely to affect the wider market. We should see something soon at this rate progress in events.. Time to batten down the hatches, at least until after Christmas.

Closing price on POG.L yesterday:

7.61arrow_dn_sm.gif -1.07 : -12.33%

Open: [/size]8.79

High: [/size]8.79

Low: [/size]7.25

Volume: [/size]3,398,213

Percent Change[/size]

52 Week Range:[/size]

7.25 to 98.25

I'm very glad I never bought any.

Never got round to doing the necessary research

Hope you don't mind just bumped an old thread, this stock is more than just the collapse of the rouble or gold price woes, looks like ordinary investors have been fleeced to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Swiss franc surges after scrapping euro ceiling The Swiss central bank has abandoned its exchange rate control and cut interest rates to -0.75pc, sending the franc soaring against the single currency

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/currency/11347218/Swiss-franc-surges-after-scrapping-euro-peg.html

The next logical step for people with capital should be gold? Why put $100m in capital with an institution that looks to erode it's value day by day, when gold will remain a lump of gold each day gram for gram.

^ There have been casualties:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30846543

Alpari has shut its UK arm following the Swiss National Bank's decision to end its capping of the Swiss franc against the euro.

The foreign exchange broker said in a statement that the move had created "exceptional volatility and extreme lack of liquidity".

As a result, the majority of Alpari clients had "sustained losses".

The euro rose 1.2% on Friday to buy 0.9869 Swiss francs.

Thursday's euro-franc close was 0.9755, well above its lowest point of 0.85 following the sudden removal of the cap.

• 2 weeks later...
Well this is a surreal moment, to fight deflation. They don't want you to be in cash...

the negative rate mortgage is now a reality.

savers who pay the bank to hold their cash courtesy of negative deposit rates, are directly funding the negative interest rate paid to those who wish to take out debt. In fact, the more debt the greater the saver-subsidized windfall.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
London Trader, Navinder Singh Sarao - prosecutors allege he generated made $40m spoofing the markets; fighting extradition to the US.

The charges of wire fraud, commodities fraud, commodities manipulation and 'spoofing' levelled at Mr Sarao carry prison sentences of between 10 and 25 years per count, or a possible $1m fine. Spoofing is the practice of bidding or offering with the intent to cancel the bid or offer before execution.

More:

Flash crash trader Navinder Singh Sarao 'sat on £27m fortune while his mother worked two jobs'
Nav Sarao, the man accused of helping trigger the £500m flash crash in 2010, is a miser who refused to pay full price for a sandwich or a train fare, former colleagues say

• 2 weeks later...

I've had to close a long trade today, which is a shame. I have to stick to my stops. Perhaps this will be another sell in May? Or the market is a little jittery with the UK elections in 2 days. The US markets look more stable, and perhaps on the cusp of another up leg.

Bubble in Beards?

How about toothpicks in beards?:

I suppose this must be useful for this guy... somehow

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The markets look a bit wobbly right now. VIX at 19. SP500 looking weaker:

big.gif

VIX

Untitled.png

SP500

And below is a chart of the Shanghai Composite (there is news that people are losing a ton of money right now, and the government can't stop it), with a historic chart of the NASDAQ - some similarities? The moving average is the same, so you have a hitching post to compare like with like:

Untitled.png

I just wonder how long this rally from "deeply oversold" will last

Archived