Getting the "Crash Course" argument... in 3 easy steps

"The Next 20 years will be nothing like the last 20."

=====================================

45083041.png

My partner and I have been spreading the word.

She watched most of the Crash Course videos with me over the Chinese New Year holidays, and to put it clearly - the material has changed her perspective and given her a strong interest in helping people to foresee the important changes that are headed our way. She is encouraging me to pass the message on to others. We have been bringing it up with friends when we meet with them.

If you can spare a few hours (or only a few minutes) of your precious time, I strongly recommend you dip into this material. And if you find it useful, I suggest that you view all of it, and think about how the coming changes might impact on your life.

I am very happy to discuss reactions, and forward strategies on a thread on GEI (this one!):

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=9294

== == ==

THREE KEY VIDEO RESOURCES

1/ The Crash Course (203 minutes) : http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse (128,000+ views)

2/ The End of Suburbia (52 minutes) :

(194,000+ views)

3/ Rob Hopkins Interview (52 mins.) :

(20,000+ views)

THE CRASH COURSE is in 20-24 episodes, with each requiring 10 minutes or less.

And a short version of The Crash Course (38 mins.) is here:

THE THIRD PODCAST talks about the "Transition Towns" movement, a way to face the challenges of the future,

with optimism. You may be able to thrive while others are in shock and trying to restructure their lives in

as they suddenly confront a reality that hit them by surprise. (Note: even if you do not buy all the arguments

in these three Video resources, you will have a clearer idea of the risks.)

FOR A LOOK JUST AHEAD, my own article from this month's Financial Sense website, may help to give

you an idea of what problems we are facing in the immediate future of 2010-12:

The "Y-shaped" downturn - A Greater Depression?

A more severe crisis is already "Baked in the Cake"

LINK: http://financialsense.com/fsu/editorials/h.../2010/0210.html

...for those of you who are on/near London,

Here's an opportunity to hear the message directly from Dr. Martenson ...

LSE Complexity Seminar

Convergence: Can the economy as we know it survive resource depletion?

Wednesday, February 24th, 2:00PM - 5:30PM

Kings Chambers, Portugal Street, London School of Economics

picture-4.jpg

Chris will lead an afternoon seminar and discussion group for the Complexity Group at London School of Economics.

Following up on recent Complexity seminars on climate change and energy, Chris will link the economy and resources with energy as one of several peaking resources. The main point would be to illuminate how and why the economy requires perpetual compound growth and what might happen when this critical systemic feature encounters real-world limits.

The majority of our plans over the next twenty years make a critical assumption that the economy will be there, largely intact and functioning, to fund the technologies and structural shifts we know we need to enact to meet challenges of energy and the environment. There is every reason to suspect it may not.

Though this event will be populated primarily by members of the Compexity Group, there are a very few seats available to the public. To inquire regarding the remaining seats and RSVP, please contact Complexitygroup@lse.ac.uk. There is no cost to attend.

/see: http://www.ChrisMartenson.com

About The LSE Complexity Group

The Group has been working with AstraZeneca, BT, BAe Systems, Citibank (New York & London), GlaxoSmithKline, the Humberside TEC, Legal & General, Ministry of Defence, Mondragon Cooperative Corporation (Basque Country), the National Health Service, Norwich Union Life, Rolls-Royce (Aerospace & Marine), Shell (International, Finance & Shell Internet Works), the World Bank (Washington DC) and several companies in the aerospace industry, to address practical complex problems. In the process it has developed a theory of complex social systems and an integrated methodology using both qualitative and quantitative tools and methods.

The work of the LSE Complexity Group is at : http://www.psych.lse.ac.uk/complexity

...for those of you who live in/near Hong Kong ...

YHM is thinking about asking Dr. Martenson's permission to translate The Crash Course

into Cantonese (and possibly into Mandarin).

Does anyone think that there would be strong interest in such a video?

languages2008.png

1/ The Crash Course (203 minutes) : http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse (128,000+ views)

2/ The End of Suburbia (52 minutes) :

(194,000+ views)

3/ Rob Hopkins Interview (52 mins.) :

(20,000+ views)

Interesting.

I have been posting and visiting here less, because I have been thinking about exactly these issues.

It would be good to see more discussion and thinking about them on GEI.

After all, it is a "green energy" site.

I have no way of knowing if there would be an audience in Mandarin within China.

It may need some marketing there to get it across.

Anyone from GEI going to the London talk?

Interesting.

I have been posting and visiting here less, because I have been thinking about exactly these issues.

It would be good to see more discussion and thinking about them on GEI.

After all, it is a "green energy" site.

We are now coming into THE TIME to focus more on these ideas, I believe

Here's an excerpt from a powerful posting on the CM website

"The Transition Towns idea and process is one good place to start, however it has some serious "Gaps". There is no mention of :

+ the likelyhood and consequences of refugees from other surrounding towns and cities overwelming a transition town (Totness for example),

+ no mention of individuals storing food to increase community resilience (as that would send a discouraging message to those engaged in the transition process).

If a preparatory framework serves to lull participants into a false sense of emotional security it will do more damage than good. Hopkins seems to assume that the UK government will remain intact and be able to provide law enforcement, fire, medical and disaster services as though we are not actually preparing for major and permanent economic changes, with periods of discontinuities, more profound and uncertain than what happened in the Great Depression.

The Transition Towns process needs to include more comprehensive senario planning to actually increase small town resilience and security in the face of the full breadth of what may come. Right know we still have the luxury of the internet, access to antibiotics and relative security in our lives. Peak Oil means all routine assumptions such as these are off. Mistaken assumptions about life in the Peak Oil era will increase our risks in adapting our lives. Risk is the price you didn't know you would have to pay."

/more:

http://www.chrismartenson.com/forum/transi...nd-beyond/34897

Anyone from GEI going to the London talk?

Just trying to make arrangements now and hope I'm not too late to steal a seat or two. I have also been PM'd by another member here asking whether I was attending so perhaps may not be alone.

Have you attempted to reserve a seat and have you had any success?

I'll also be in attendance. Not to sure how much I'll be able to contribute and i'll probably be way out of my depth as per usual, but I'll most certainly be listening with great interest.

Thanks for posting the Link to this event DrB :)

As far as I am aware, there are still seats left.

Here’s the agenda................

Convergence: Can the economy as we know it survive resource depletion?

Dr Chris Martenson

Wednesday 24 February 2010

14.30-17.00 at the LSE, room S421 (St Clement’s Building)

Dr. Martenson’s main body of work is the Crash Course, a broad and nuanced explanation of the interdependence of the economy, energy and environment. A rigorously factual and data-based analysis, the Crash Course explores the limitations of an economy and geopolitical system dependent on infinite growth as it encounters the limits of a finite planet.

His talk will continue the discussion undertaken in two recent ESRC seminars on Energy & Climate Change (organized by the LSE Complexity Group, the OU and Cranfield) linking energy and climate. In his talk, Dr Martenson will link the economy and resources with energy as one of several peaking resources. The main point would be to illuminate how and why the economy requires perpetual compound growth and what might happen when this critical systemic feature encounters real-world limits.

The complex system to be explored and discussed is the modern fiat monetary system (which applies to every major country in the world). He will explain its fundamental design, present current data, and examine the implications of extrapolating current trends in resource depletion into the future against the operating mechanism of the monetary system.

The main thesis of the talk will be that the majority of our plans over the next twenty years make a critical assumption that the economy will be there, largely intact and functioning, to fund the technologies and structural shifts we know we need to enact to meet challenges of energy and the environment. There is every reason to suspect it may not.

The talk will cover the following topics:

Laying the foundation

• Money creation (modern fiat money)

• Peak oil (very briefly)

• Peak resources (copper, uranium)

Tying them together

• Our particular monetary system and its strict requirement for growth

• Energy and Economy

The Future

• What needs to be done

o Net energy is everything (and the deep deficiencies in our present information about net energy)

o Stewarding our remaining resources

o Getting serious about aligning human presence and consumption with the actual carrying capacity of the earth (and what is required to allow other species some breathing room)

• Convergence of trends: will the economy be able to satisfy our technological dreams?

Dr. Chris Martenson is an independent economist and author of a popular website, ChrisMartenson.com. Chris earned a PhD in neurotoxicology from Duke University, and an MBA from Cornell University. A fellow of the Post Carbon Institute, Chris’s work has appeared on PBS and been cited by the Washington Post. He is a contributor to SeekingAlpha.com and FinancialSense.com.

Chris has recently presented public talks at the Commonwealth Club of San Francisco and the United Nations. During his visit to the United Kingdom, he will be presenting before the All Parliamentary Party Group on Peak Oil and Gas, the Department for International Development, the Centre for the Study of Financial Innovation, and Essential Edinburgh business leaders.

ChrisMartenson.com offers ongoing commentary and analysis into financial and energy-related issues and events as they unfold. It is home to an active, engaged community discussing and confronting the challenges we face in the years ahead.

So...how was it?

Just got back from the Chris Martenson seminar at the LSE London. There were about 30 - 40 attendees, some from the LSE's Complexity Research Group, other academics in the energy field and a few interested privates like myself.

Chris gave an hour'ish powerpoint presentation of a crash course summary, followed by a question and answer session, tea break and another question and answer session.

Awesome, so glad I went, many thanks to Dr. Bubb for the advance info. I did the crash course a couple of years ago and have since done a lot of reading so I kinda knew the content, nethertheless it's definitely a different experience hearing it all 'live' from Chris Martenson.

The dialog sessions were also excellent given that many attendees are also experts in their fields , with many different ideas regarding problems and possible solutions.

I must admit the crash course 2 years ago left me feeling a bit depressed on these issues, so I went there today looking for some hope - and found it not only in Chris' general positivity but also from the energy, earnestness and positivity of the other attendees. It was uplifting to discover that I'm not the only one focused on resource and energy depletion issues. :)

Just got back from the Chris Martenson seminar at the LSE London. There were about 30 - 40 attendees, some from the LSE's Complexity Research Group, other academics in the energy field and a few interested privates like myself.

Yeah it was great. Well worth taking the afternoon off work for.

Chris did a condensed presentation of the Crash Course, before diving into a lengthy Q&A sesh. The other attendees were a mixed bunch of academics, public sector workers and students - It was probably for this reason the session was more about environmental catastrophe rather than how to protect your wealth.

I was there myself, and I know of at least 2 other GEI members that were in the room.

The event itself was good, but in fairness I didn't really come away with any answers, most of the content that he covered was already known to myself, although his comment about the copper in Afghanistan caught me by surprise.

Interesting mix of people in attendance, lots of consultants it seemed as everyone gave Chris a few words about themselves and why they where there. Even had a chat with a couple of folks afterwards who are also working on a local currency in their local area, and I now have in my possession 1 Stroud Pound

www.stroudpound.org.uk

But I did miss a golden opportunity en-route to the BOE museum before the "crash course" I was approached by a reporter who claimed he was from Bloomberg news just outside the royal exchange, why he approached me left me in a slight shock I’ll admit, as I was lets just say "dressed down" but he asked me what I thought of the city of London ...........and I was caught like a rabbit in the headlights - lol

ahhh............ l'esprit d'escalier

It was also nice to get to shake Chris' Hand and personally thank him for his work. I'll admit I was expecting to see him in an auditorium, but the class room environment was a pleasant surprise.

:)

Was at the meeting yesterday and though enjoyed the presentation found the majority of information was repeating information and ideas I've already read elsewhere. There were some interesting points made by some of the academics, especially when the discussion came round to how to influence the 10% of powerful people required to tackle energy depletion when the 10% have a vested interest in keeping the status quo.

There were a few occasions where I wished to speak out but chose not to. I did find it rather ironic sitting in a room discussing concern over energy depletion with everyone in shirts with the heating on .................. and all the windows open. I check a couple of other empty rooms on my way to the lavatory and yep ........... heating on and windows open. :-(

Was at the meeting yesterday and though enjoyed the presentation found the majority of information was repeating information and ideas I've already read elsewhere. There were some interesting points made by some of the academics, especially when the discussion came round to how to influence the 10% of powerful people required to tackle energy depletion when the 10% have a vested interest in keeping the status quo.

Chris has sent me an email about getting some "thought leaders" together for some sort of Summit, probably in the US.

Was there any talk about that idea?

Did you get any sense of whether Chris feels the Uk is ahead or behind the US in addressing these important issues?

BTW, it sounds like 2-3 of you had a chance to meet, was it for the first time?

Any suggestions about get togethers or efforts that GEI people might do?

I'm keen to at least have a beer, or better yet a brainstorming session next time I am in the UK.

DEAR OPRAH...

Some folks from the CM website think it is time "to take Chris to the mainstream",

and they want to do it by getting Dr. Martenson on the Oprah Winfrey show.

/more: http://www.chrismartenson.com/forum/chris-...him-there/36011

I hope they are successful, and apparently they feel the fact that He spoke at the Houses of Parliament in the UK

adds to his credibility - and why not !

I seem to be the only on so far that went to the House of Commons session.

Firstly the queue to get through security was a farce. The paperwork said get there 20mins early and I was there half an hour early and still got in to the presentation 10 mins late! The PPP he used was based on the first few shows of the course but focussed on expo function, with respect to growth and the principle of peak oil. My wife came along who knew nothing about the content of the presentation and she picked up some of the principles but overall I think the `story' as he calls it was a bit lost and confused in the abridged presentation. After about 40minutes, it was about an hour or so of Q/A. The questions were interesting in that everyone had an agenda in the question asked and it was amazing the variety of people that were there. He touched on money as debt, new energy sources, transition towns etc. He also was asked by the dignatories how best to spread the message which was a positive sign. I did ask him a question but I was dissatisfied with his answer.

I did not stay to discuss it more as the missus was getting bored and we were going to have a look around the HOC chambers themselves.

OFAH

Chris has sent me an email about getting some "thought leaders" together for some sort of Summit, probably in the US.

Did you get any sense of whether Chris feels the Uk is ahead or behind the US in addressing these important issues?

I'm keen to at least have a beer, or better yet a brainstorming session next time I am in the UK.

The whole talk it seemed to me was really just introducing the idea that how severe the whole concept of peak oil and the debt crises that are quickly approaching, and mainly covering the concept of "getting the word out" I didn't really get the impression that Chris had the "oh the UK (or the US) is so far behind" etc, if anything it felt like BOTH countries are lagging behind, but as yet there is no real front runner.

I have met up with Underling before the Crash course, but otherwise, yes it was the first time, and a very pleasant pint it was :)

As mentioned in a previous thread, I'll still be happy to arrange a BOE trip (still need 15 attendees to get the talk) but there wasn't any interest last time. If you ever want me to resurrect this...... just ask, I'll be happy to assist.

The whole talk it seemed to me was really just introducing the idea that how severe the whole concept of peak oil and the debt crises that are quickly approaching, and mainly covering the concept of "getting the word out" I didn't really get the impression that Chris had the "oh the UK (or the US) is so far behind" etc, if anything it felt like BOTH countries are lagging behind, but as yet there is no real front runner.

I have met up with Underling before the Crash course, but otherwise, yes it was the first time, and a very pleasant pint it was :)

As mentioned in a previous thread, I'll still be happy to arrange a BOE trip (still need 15 attendees to get the talk) but there wasn't any interest last time. If you ever want me to resurrect this...... just ask, I'll be happy to assist.

He seemed positive about the fact that the UK has made progress with transition towns (I think he had visited some whilst here) and the fact that he had been asked to deliver at the HOC

OFAH

Maybe we can do that when I am next in the UK, probably in July, if the world isnt falling apart by then

He seemed positive about the fact that the UK has made progress with transition towns (I think he had visited some whilst here) and the fact that he had been asked to deliver at the HOC

OFAH

Thanks for that.

He's been talking to Rob Hopkins

I highly recommend this interview, if you have not seen it:

Rob Hopkins Interview (52 mins.) :

(20,000+ views)

DEAR OPRAH...

Some folks from the CM website think it is time "to take Chris to the mainstream",

and they want to do it by getting Dr. Martenson on the Oprah Winfrey show.

/more: http://www.chrismartenson.com/forum/chris-...him-there/36011

I hope they are successful, and apparently they feel the fact that He spoke at the Houses of Parliament in the UK

adds to his credibility - and why not !

HOUSEWIVES - that's the key audience of the Oprah show - afterall, she got Obama elected !

Here's how the CM site guys see this working...

Oprah has a good target audience for this information: housewives. Its been my experience that nothing ever gets done until the lady of the house is on the job. Can you imagine the conversation at the proverbial dinner table:

Wife: Honey, I saw this guy on Oprah this afternoon and he presenting a rather disturbing picture for the future of our country.

Hubby: Thats good dear. Did you burn this pork chop?

Wife: Are you listening to me? His name is Chris Martenson and I went to his website this afternoon and watched part of his Crash Course. It was very interesting and I think you should watch it with me.

Hubby: Whatever Dear.

Wife: Don't dismiss this, its very important information. What if the economy shut down, what would we do?

Teenage Child: Yeah Dad, I listen to Chris Martenson's podcast all the time and its really cool (hint, hint). And in the forums, they talk about cool stuff like how 9/11 was an inside job and how all the financial markets are fixed by the big banks. Dad, your a real sucker to have your 401K in stocks. (hint, hint)

Hubby/Father: Honey, you shouldn't waste your time on that stupid conspiracy crap. I can't believe that Oprah had this guy on her show.

Wife: He is not like that, really. I don't know what your talking about with this conspiracy stuff, because I didn't see any of that stuff in the Crash Course. Your going to watch it with me and thats final!

Hubby: Yes dear, whatever you want. Can I eat my dinner now?

Of course traditionally, with out a book to promote and a large publishing house behind him, Dr. M has little chance to get on the show IMO. That is a sad situation in the age of new media.

UNQUOTE

Anyone live near Bath?

There's a Crash Course screening coming up there...

Bath, UK showing of CC

Hi everyone,

We have got confirmation of the projector and the venue for the showing of CC Parts 2 and 3.

Both to be shown at the Minerva Centre, 8 Combe Park, Bath, doors at 7:15 for 7:30 start. Entry Free, refreshements available for a donation. I will also hope to be selling the CC DVDs copied from the original for £5.

Part 2: 9th March

Part 3: 16th March

Please come along if you can. Watching the CC is one thing, getting together with people to talk about it takes it to a whole new level.

best wishes, Brendan

UNQUOTE / see: http://www.chrismartenson.com/forum/bath-u...0#comment-68420

== ==

Silent Reader has a Transition Towns thread going, with an initial focus on East Sussex:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=9266

keeping it going...

ECOBUILD,Earls court,London

Seminars > Urban planning & the public realm > Tuesday 02 March

16.00Sustaining Transition Town initiatives

With grass roots, the Transition Towns Initiative is now several years old, and this seminar considers the lessons learned so far, how to build and sustain public awareness and adoption, and its critics’ views.

chair: Liz Cox, Head of Connected Economies, New Economics Foundation

14.30 – 14.50 Transition Towns today and in the future

Rob Hopkins, Co-founder Transition Network and Co-founder Transition Towns Totnes, Transition Network and Transition Towns Totnes

14.50 – 15.20 Transition – the role for local economies and communities

Liz Cox, Head of Connected Economies, New Economics Foundation

15.20 – 15.40 Lessons from a Transition Town

Mark Brown, Chairman, Transition Town High Wycombe

15.40 – 16.00 Population growth, economic expansion, increased energy use: are they really a problem?

Alastair Donald, Urban Designer, mantownhuman

I do have a response to this and a few additional thoughts I'd like to air but having trouble currently gaining access to internet during private time. I'm hoping the thread doesn't move on too far by which time my post seems misplaced. Apologies in advance.

Archived