Gold Bulls - "Clawing the Sky" as prices fall

drbubb

I am thinking of getting one of these tee shirts for someone I know, what do you think?

Piss-off. GOM

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply
come on have a sense of humour

its not his fault gold is rising

Gold is following the Euro up.

I expect the slide to resume rather soon, if the Euro stalls near $1.50

maybe but thats an educated guess

Of course, it is a guess... from chart gazing.

zzzzrt.gif

If gold and stocks are going to make a big slide, they needed to fill some territory first.

They are doing that now, and may stop rising here, and resume the slide .... Or not.

I wonder if we will find out over the weekend that India's order with the IMF has been filled.

One of the key things to bear in mind here is that the IMF does not have an infinate amount of gold to sell.

What happens when India take delivery and the dollar tanks still further?

How can an international monetary fund operate when it's gold reserves are severely depleated and it's primary currency $ is being hammered?

We have much going on at present:

• Dollar weakness
  • Dubai debt crisis
  • Massive sovereign gold buying
  • In the UK more reports of bankruptcies (Threshers and Borders being the latest)
  • More layoffs in the UK (Vauxhaul and BAE the latest)
  • Lloyds bank forced into a shares issue

Growth in many countries is still a lot slower than expected. The UK is not out of recession and the US only did it by fiddling the books and promoting massive deficit spending to fund things like cash for clunkers.

Central banks have one hand tied behind their backs as they cannot afford to raise interest rates and screw over the minimal growth that is occurring - they cannot strenghten their currencies or they risk an immediate pullback into a worse recession... but this is happening all over... as a result gold has been steaming to new highs.

We are still staring into the Abyss for the western economies - it's just some people have turned to look in the other direction and forgotten the pit behind them.

- Pye

Of course, it is a guess... from chart gazing.

If gold and stocks are going to make a big slide, they needed to fill some territory first.

They are doing that now, and may stop rising here, and resume the slide .... Or not.

Well I'm glad you cleared that up. Maybe it's you that is bipolar?

Not everyone subscribes to the stocks up, gold up, dollar down mantra btw.

Stock market is a potemkin market and will be used to manipulate the serfs whichever way the 'elite' feel like it.

Well I'm glad you cleared that up. Maybe it's you that is bipolar?

Not everyone subscribes to the stocks up, gold up, dollar down mantra btw.

Stock market is a potemkin market and will be used to manipulate the serfs whichever way the 'elite' feel like it.

Some never learn.

They lived through it last year, and may soon again.

It's "All about the Dollar", it seems to me... (for those who arent paying attention to podcasts. Haha)

Probably, when they do "learn" it will be time to bet the other way

Some never learn.

They lived through it last year, and may soon again.

It's "All about the Dollar", it seems to me... (for those who arent paying attention to podcasts. Haha)

Probably, when they do "learn" it will be time to bet the other way

Yet for the last couple of weeks gold has been going up or ending up level on dollar up days!

The barely-concealed glee of CNBC's anchors at gold's $50 fall today has been rather swiftly replaced by surprise at the mere $10 drop at time of writing this post. The much-heralded flight to the perceived safety of the dollar has petered out with the DXY at 75.10 and the euro back up to $1.50.

This Dubai issue's been overdone. There's minimal Western exposure (except RBS, HSBC and Barclays) to the bubble there but that may not be the case in some Asian markets given the magnitude of their sell off early today. Still, I believe there is merit in Dr. Bubb's warnings; this run up in gold - much as it gives me pleasure when looking at my GM account - is due a pullback. I don't believe that the duration or severity of that pullback makes it worth my while to try selling my holdings in the hope of buying them back more cheaply later on so I won't bother.

I will, however, consider some serious puts on the S&P because I'm 85% sure that the Black Friday sales figures will re-introduce a dose of reality to investors next week. I expect the dollar will benefit from the ripple but not as much at the expense of gold as some think. There's a new (or is that old) safe-haven in town.

Sorry this is all a bit non-TA but sometimes it helps to think like a fund manager terrified of losing his job.

The barely-concealed glee of CNBC's anchors at gold's $50 fall today has been rather swiftly replaced by surprise at the mere $10 drop at time of writing this post. The much-heralded flight to the perceived safety of the dollar has petered out with the DXY at 75.10 and the euro back up to $1.50.

This Dubai issue's been overdone. There's minimal Western exposure (except RBS, HSBC and Barclays) to the bubble there but that may not be the case in some Asian markets given the magnitude of their sell off early today. Still, I believe there is merit in Dr. Bubb's warnings; this run up in gold - much as it gives me pleasure when looking at my GM account - is due a pullback. I don't believe that the duration or severity of that pullback makes it worth my while to try selling my holdings in the hope of buying them back more cheaply later on so I won't bother.

I will, however, consider some serious puts on the S&P because I'm 85% sure that the Black Friday sales figures will re-introduce a dose of reality to investors next week. I expect the dollar will benefit from the ripple but not as much at the expense of gold as some think. There's a new (or is that old) safe-haven in town.

Sorry this is all a bit non-TA but sometimes it helps to think like a fund manager terrified of losing his job.

Today the fools had their stops cleaned out by the thieves on Wall Street. This happened while gold sales of coins were suspended and volume traded low. Of course those who have real gold bullion in their possession have nothing to worry about.

Out of interest my ISA portfolio which is made up of junior miners was down £1750 when the US opened, it is now up £170. So not a bad day after all :)

Think mine looks a lot more professional, the pied piper of EWI :lol:

pied-piper-of-EWI.jpg

Thanks for this. I tried to create something similar, but it looked cr@p because I'm not the Pixel8r. :P

The picture is the "Rattenfänger von Hameln", by the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pied_Piper_of_Hamelin

Central Banks are hardly known for their timely buying.

I was buying Gold and Gold shares when they were truly cheap.

Remember, I am a few million ahead of most here, in my Gold buying

What would be fascinating to see would be a long term gold chart with Central Bank sales and purchases plotted against it.

Archived