Im want to be lifestyle entrepeneur when I grow up

This article is pretty good, It defines the different types of lifestyle entrepeneur then gives some examples.

Like most of these articles the examples are doing much better than me, so I'm tinged by envy and inspired that its possible. Anyway there follows a guide on how to emulate them. IMO: More people are going to be trying to organise their lives this way. It' s not Generation Y thing, we just have more opportuntities. If Kes was being filmed today he might be starting a kestrel business funded by the Princes trust.

http://www.anywired.com/become-a-lifestyle...0-resources/97/

The 3 types of lifestyle entrepreneur

Time minimalists.

This method is all about taking much of the time commitments out of owning a business and earning an income. This is usually achieved through elimination, outsourcing, the 80/20 principle, simplicity and automation, or through focusing on ’set it and forget it’ products, like eBooks or drop-shipped products.

Example: Doug Price, who created ProSoundEffects.com. His PPC advertised site sells audio libraries at several hundred dollars a pop and earns over $10,000 a month with under two-hours of maintenance work each week. The business allows Doug to spend plenty of time pursuing his two primary passions: music and travel.

Nomadic entrepreneurs.

While the nomadic lifestyle entrepreneur isn’t necessarily working less than anyone else, the nomad’s number 1 aim is freedom of location: an anywhere work style. Work should enable travel, not confine it to one weekend each year.

Example: Lea and Jonathan Woodward run an online branding and marketing business from a variety of international locations, creating an easy mix of travel and work. The business is optimized to be manageable from anywhere in the world.

Doing it for love.

For this kind of lifestyle entrepreneur, business revolves around a passionate hobby: something they’d still be doing, even if it didn’t earn a cent. The goal is not to work as little as possible. For this kind of entrepreneur, work is a passion, and maintaining and operating her/his business is woven into a lifestyle, not separate from it.

Example: eBay user richietman (”Richard”) began selling personally restored violins on eBay after a dire health issue forced him to quit his career as an attorney. What was once a passionate hobby became a (no-less passionate) $100,000 per year business.

Personally I'm working as a software developer, software tester and English teacher. I'd like to learn carpentry and degree level maths. I've quit a job with a final salary pension and a contract until I reach 65 and never been happier, I'm moving towards the lives described. What they don't show though are the failed businesses, and the pitfalls. I would like to know what they are?

Many of these look like internet entrepreneur's which can be highly successful if you get it right. I suspect the failure rate is probably quite high though. There is a lot of good information in that article.

A number of these ideas seemed to be based on the creation of one or more passive income streams. If you can do that then you have the system licked.

10 Reasons You Should Never Get a Job — Steve Pavlina

“It’s funny that when people reach a certain age, such as after graduating college, they assume it’s time to go out and get a job. But like many things the masses do, just because everyone does it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. In fact, if you’re reasonably intelligent, getting a job is one of the worst things you can do to support yourself. There are far better ways to make a living than selling yourself into indentured servitude.”

Audio can be found here.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/audio/

How about being a life coach

Then you get to tell people what they should be doing with their lives, mostly stuff they know already and just give them the motivation/confidence to do it

Should be a big call for that in the forthcoming downturn, as people re-assess things when they get laid off

How about being a life coach

Then you get to tell people what they should be doing with their lives, mostly stuff they know already and just give them the motivation/confidence to do it

Should be a big call for that in the forthcoming downturn, as people re-assess things when they get laid off

I'd feel a bit of a fraud doing that. Don't the people who pay for this sort of thing have friends or family?

• 3 weeks later...
I'd feel a bit of a fraud doing that. Don't the people who pay for this sort of thing have friends or family?

There are quite a few individuals who make a living at this.

Maybe some people dont want to discuss private matters with f&f, maybe some people just need motivating and are willing to pay for it?

Archived