sylvester

Great Quotes

My favorite:

Mark Twain:

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain.

And one offered by headmelter who put the thread idea into my head...

To borrow a phrase from Yeats:

"All has changed, changed utterly,

A terrible beauty is born. "

Oh and the Oppenheimer quote from the other day:

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds"

"Oh no, not again" - the whale

:D

:lol::lol:

Crude but funny:

[to one of the prostitutes at Cleveland's house]: "So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?" - Stewie from Family Guy

"Oh no, not again" - the whale

Wasn't that the bowl of petunias?

And, as to a quote, something that reminds me of myself trying to read tons of material on finance and economy:

"I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia." --Woody Allen.

Wasn't that the bowl of petunias?

And, as to a quote, something that reminds me of myself trying to read tons of material on finance and economy:

"I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia." --Woody Allen.

Ologhai's right you know (I thought it was the whale too but...)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this record of its thoughts from the moment of its "birth" to the moment of its death:

Ah! What's happening? it thought.

Er, excuse me, who am I?

Hello?

Why am I here? What's my purpose in life?

What do I mean by who am I?

Calm down, get a grip now . . . oh! this is an interesting sensation, what is it? It's sort of . . . yawning, tingling sensation in my . . . my . . . well, I suppose I'd better start finding names for things if I want to make headway in what for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall call the world, so let's call it my stomach.

Good. Ooooh, it's getting quite strong. And hey, what about that whistling roaring sound going past what I'm suddenly going to call my head? Perhaps I can call that . . . wind! Is that a good name? It'll do . . . perhaps I can find a better name for it later when I've found out what it's for. It must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of it. Hey! What's this thing? This . . . let's call it a tail - yeah, tail. Hey! I can really thrash it about pretty good, can't I? Wow! Wow! That feels great! Doesn't seem to achieve very much but I'll probably find out what it's for later on. Now, have I built up any coherent picture of things yet?

No.

Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much to look forward to, I'm quite dizzy with anticipation . . .

Or is it the wind?

There really is a lot of that now, isn't there?

And wow! Hey! What's this thing suddenly coming toward me very fast? Very, very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide-sounding name like . . . ow . . . ound . . . round . . . ground! That's it! That's a good name - ground!

I wonder if it will be friends with me?

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

Harold Wilson

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, of course !

It's been a while. You can't expect me to remember something accurately from 2 decades ago :lol:

Now you're going to tell me it was last week :unsure:

Yes, of course !

It's been a while. You can't expect me to remember something accurately from 2 decades ago :lol:

No, that would be improbable

Yes, of course !

Nah, but all psychology bull prints it, though i can hear those dulcit tones delivering it :lol:

"It is in the nature of things that you can never escape one setback without running into another."

Machiavelli

One for HankyPanky Paulson to ponder on

Might as well put this here:

The W. $200 bill. Takes the place of the old $100. Says $200 on the bill, but only buys $100 worth of stuff.

http://www.talkdelaware.com/f67/man-succes...-bill-8405.html

Man Successfully Used a $200 bill

Posted: Jun. 1, 2007 10:55 a.m.

Updated: Aug. 6, 2007 2:26 a.m.

HALIFAX COUNTY: North Carolina cops are searching for a guy who successfully passed a $200 bill bearing George W. Bush's portrait and a drawing of the White House complete with lawn signs reading "We like ice cream" and "USA deserves a tax cut." The phony Bush bill was presented to a cashier at a Food Lion in Roanoke Rapids on September 6 by an unidentified male who was seeking to pay for $150 in groceries. Remarkably, the cashier accepted the counterfeit note and gave the man $50 change. In a separate incident involving a different perp, Roanoke Rapids cops Tuesday arrested Michael Harris, 24, for attempting last month to pass an identical $200 Bush bill at a convenience store.

One day, they will have sold us so much that we will not have any money left.

And then they will own us.

Dunno who said that..dunno why I remember it..

Thomas Jefferson.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing

armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their

currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow

up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up

homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

"Ye cannae polish a turd." - Trad. Arr. Radge.

(Coproliths excepted). ;)

Edit to add:

"Ye cannae polish a Turdling" - Trad. Arr. Goldfinger!

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

I will take a guess here and suggest Ayrian Brotherhood

Always keep tubes of Preparation H and Deep-Heat-Fiery-Jack-Industrial-Strength-Muscle-Rub very well separated in your bathroom cabinet.

:lol:

and don't forget to wash your hands between applications.

"We must become the change we want to see"

Mahatma Ghandi [1869 – 1948]

"... our whole monetary system is dishonest, as it is debt-based... We did not vote for it. It grew upon us gradually but markedly since 1971 when the commodity-based system was abandoned." - The Earl of Caithness, in a speech to the House of Lords, 1997.

He that is overcautious will accomplish little.

--Friedrich von Schiller