SILVER

Yes, I plan to fill my boots.

Itchy fingers anyone? :rolleyes:

Tempted to buy a little in the $14 range.

The ratio looks to be going the right way and I think there might be a but of life yet in the inflation trade which should be good for silver.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

We are precious metal dealers based in the Birmingham jewellery quarter and have recently launched a new website - www.bullionbypost.co.uk and are offering the lowest margins on brand new 1kg and 5kg bars in the UK with next day delivery only £8 (or collect for free ;-) )

1kg silver bar currently £347 +vat = £400 (margin over spot =15%)

5kg silver bar currently £1621 +vat = £1865 (margin over silver spot = 7.5%)

Any questions give us a shout.

Cheers

Rob

www.bullionbypost.co.uk

0800 612 6527

Silver is done for now, unless you think gold is going to a new high soon

I consider it to be a buy, especially while it is on sale. Gold will be going to a new high soon and silver along with it.

One or two down days and all the deflationists come out of the wood work.

SLW taking a beating today. Mistimed my trade on this one getting out at $8 and missing out on a cool 30% move. If we see $8 again (which is looking quite possible) im buying back in. Just got try and remain disciplined enough to wait for the price to come to me than jump in too early.

Hoping we get to below £8/oz on physical. Though averaging in from here over the next 2 months is highly tempting.

SLW taking a beating today. Mistimed my trade on this one getting out at $8 and missing out on a cool 30% move. If we see $8 again (which is looking quite possible) im buying back in. Just got try and remain disciplined enough to wait for the price to come to me than jump in too early.

Hoping we get to below £8/oz on physical. Though averaging in from here over the next 2 months is highly tempting.

ag @ £8/oz would be a gift - possible but unlikely imho.

$13ish/oz is more of a possibility

I'm sure alive and kicking will be along in minute to tell us that it's going a lot lower just like ker used to

in your dreams - do i feel a 'grudge-bet' coming on here perchance? proceeds to charity of course (winners choice)

what say you sir? and what timeframe?

Betting is not normally my thing. I see the recent low was 8.47 on October 26th? 9.0 could be missable but 9.99 not. 8.47 must have really hurt after 21 so 9.99 could be safe either way inside 5 years and give a loser time to come to terms with their loss humilation and depression while providing widespread entertainment and amusement in a difficult time in history.

Betting is not normally my thing. I see the recent low was 8.47 on October 26th? 9.0 could be missable but 9.99 not. 8.47 must have really hurt after 21 so 9.99 could be safe either way inside 5 years and give a loser time to come to terms with their loss humilation and depression while providing widespread entertainment and amusement in a difficult time in history.

so - take the bet if you're so sure

I will give you the 9.99 if you're losing your nerve

As I said I'm hoping for a serious correction in silver.

USD 11.50 seems quite possible but why do people think below 10 dollars is likely?

On a technical basis or because of reduced industrial demand, or what?

I reckon if it gets to USD 10 again there could be problems getting hold of coins and small bars as happened late last year.

Over at kitco forums there seem to be more than a few who only started buying silver in the first half of last year so the poor so-and-so's have been nastily under water for months and I think some are just waiting to break even and get out. But there are plenty of long term "stackers" who just keep on stacking enjoying the lower prices.

As I said I'm hoping for a serious correction in silver.

USD 11.50 seems quite possible but why do people think below 10 dollars is likely?

On a technical basis or because of reduced industrial demand, or what?

I reckon if it gets to USD 10 again there could be problems getting hold of coins and small bars as happened late last year.

My 9.99 was just because if it can fall from 21 to 8.47 in such a very short period then volatility is probably going to be there in the future too and it was only at 8.47 a few months ago when deflation was a higher priority than now, but as the market correction wears off, if it does, then deflation will be back again on the radar for more people and probably a little more entrenched into peoples minds.

But i cant really see why silver should be today a precious metal since other metals now rank along with gold as precious i would have thought. Silver today seems like an industrial metal to me. And its use in photography is going to be history soon?

My 9.99 was just because if it can fall from 21 to 8.47 in such a very short period then volatility is probably going to be there in the future too and it was only at 8.47 a few months ago when deflation was a higher priority than now, but as the market correction wears off, if it does, then deflation will be back again on the radar for more people and probably a little more entrenched into peoples minds.

But i cant really see why silver should be today a precious metal since other metals now rank along with gold as precious i would have thought. Silver today seems like an industrial metal to me. And its use in photography is going to be history soon?

For those holding GBP there might not be too much downside risk starting to average in here even if we were to go to (IMHO) such insanely cheap prices as 10USD. My thinking is that a fall in the price of silver would be coincident with a rise in the strength of the USD.

This could see GBP dropping back down to 1.37USD.

Which would mean silver would be 10/1.37 = 7.30GBP/oz

So the downside risk from current levels (8.59GBP/oz) is only around 16%... in such volatile times and given what i believe to be the strong fundamentals for silver over the medium to long term this is not too bad.

soon?

so take the bet then!

http://seekingalpha.com/article/135266-inc...es?source=yahoo

A combination of “traditional” uses plus many new applications makes silver a metal which is “precious” in every meaning of the word. To illustrate this point, new patents for silver applications exceed those for any other metal – with many of these new uses related to silver's unquestioned superiority for its anti-bacterial qualities.

Silver is certainly very much an industrial metal, but for investment also which might become more significant.

Remember that "at present rates of consumption" all known silver would be mined in about 11 years time (which of course won't actually happen either because of much increased price or rate of mining limitations).

IMO silver is very much a precious metal and its longer term fundamentals are great.

Although photographic demand is declining it has been claimed on this site that 70% of photographic silver is recycled which would tend to temper the drop in demand from that quarter.

Also new applications in medicine and hygiene are increasing in addition to the electronics etc. demand.

How much silver goes into a digital camera? Anybody know? Solar panels?

How much silver goes into a digital camera? Anybody know? Solar panels?

http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/view/minewe...4&sn=Detail

The Fortis/VM Group's latest Silver Book says silver demand from the solar panel sector was only 432t in 2007 based on the assumptions of maximum silver loadings per installed wattage of 0.12g/W, 4GW production (2007) and a 10% market share of non-silver containing thin film PV units.

However, future projects appeared very promising for silver demand in solar energy and therefore silver demand in the solar sector was forecast to increase to almost 1,270tby 2012 at 22GW of production. This forecast was based on the assumption of an annual 5% decrease in silver loadings per watt as efficiencies improve and market share of thin film technology rising to 25%.

The Silver Book said its conservative estimate for photovoltaic (PV) growth to 2012 was 13GW, which brought its estimate of silver demand for that year down to 1,111t. But the most aggressive industry forecast was 52GW, which would imply 4,446t of silver.

Due to silver being the first element to face extinction, IMO we will see a startling price discovery in the not too distant future.

It’s the third one. Terbium and hafnium are first and second

terbium and hafnium - not the easiest metals to purchase.

http://terresacree.org/argentanglais.htm - follow the link - each element is explained.

Also see thread on the subject

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....ic=6744&hl=

Here’s couple of good posts from Icarus that are worth re-reading. It’s a shame he doesn’t post more often. Icarus is like the MSE cgnao from 2004 (I mean that as a compliment if you’re reading)

from http://news.silverseek.com/SilverSeek/1210917480.php

'THE FACTS

The following is a list of facts and reasons to switch all your Gold investments into Physical Silver:

1) The Gold Banking Cabal is heavily involved in the suppression of the price of Silver and would be mortally wounded when Silver breaks the bonds of manipulation. Due to the tiny size of the market and the lack of physical Silver available to the manipulators, the Silver battle is much easier to win than Gold.

2) Central banks have NO physical Silver to assist in the manipulation of the Silver market but they still have a lot of physical Gold (although much less than they claim).

3) The majority of Silver mined every year is consumed as an industrial metal in very small amounts and will never return to the market whereas the amount of above ground Gold grows year after year.

4) Silver has developed, due to its low price and superior physical properties, into a vital and necessary industrial commodity that makes it mandatory for modern life. If we woke up tomorrow and gold vanished from the face of the earth, life would continue pretty much as it was the day before. Without silver, modern life would change.

5) Due to the relative very low price of silver and very high price of gold, the man in the street, around the world, is in a position to buy silver in much greater quantities than gold.

6) In various forms there is an estimated 5B oz of above ground Gold and 5B oz of above ground Silver but Gold trades at $880/oz and Silver trades for only $17/oz. Both metal prices are obviously manipulated but Silver appears to be manipulated more. As for Silver bullion that is “in play” for the manipulators, I estimate that less than 300M oz remain (COMEX Inventories + SLV Inventories) with a current market value less than $5B.

7) Silver has been in a supply deficit for over 50 years! Governments held approximately 10B oz of silver in 1950 and have been supplying that physical stock steadily into the market. Today there is no more of that surplus silver left to sell.

8) At current Silver consumption rates there are only 18 years of known Silver reserves remaining in the world. AFTER THAT SILVER WILL BE GONE FOREVER! Think about it.

9) Demand for Silver is “inelastic” in its industrial applications because it is used in such small quantities per application. An increase in price does not translate into a decrease in consumption.

10) The COMEX Silver short position is the largest concentrated short position of any commodity, on any exchange in the history of financial markets.

11) Throughout human monetary history the Silver to Gold ratio hovered in the 10-1 range until the invention of futures and options trading in metals. Since that time the ratio has risen to where it now stands at over 50-1.

12) The US Dollar as defined in the Coinage Act of 1792 is Silver, not Gold, and contains “three hundred and seventy-one grains and four sixteenth parts of a grain of pure, or four hundred and sixteen grains of standard silver.”

13) Silver is massively under reported in the media vs. Gold. Even Jim Rogers, the commodity guru, purposefully ignores Silver entirely in his best selling book “Hot Commodities” even though Silver exceeds all other commodities using his metrics on what makes a strong commodity.

14) Very few investors have physical Silver in their possession. Reasoning: because they claim it is “too hard to store”. Does that mean when Silver trades at over $1,000 oz people will be more willing to buy and store physical Silver? It is difficult to make up a more bullish reason to take delivery and store physical Silver TODAY…when the Cabal price rigging scam finally fails you can always buy your own Fort Knox to store all that pesky Silver you bought!

15) Gold’s strong fundamentals are only exceeded by Silver’s so when the gold manipulation stops and the Gold price takes off investors will be looking for the next under-priced investment with similar characteristics.

16) 470M oz of Silver owned by the US Treasury and used in the Manhattan Project for the construction of the atom bomb have all been melted down and sold into the physical market to support the “Strong Dollar Policy” http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/silvermystery.html

17) Silver mineral deposits, as opposed to Gold, are usually very shallow in the earth’s crust due to the nature of the geology so most of the large deposits of Silver have probably already been found and/or already mined limiting future discoveries.

18) There is a significant problem with counterfeit Gold bullion because of its high price. Silver bullion has not, to date, had as much of a counterfeiting issue because its price did not justify the effort. (although there is a problem with counterfeit Silver jewelry which may significantly suppress Silver scrap recovery in the future…oddly bullish by-product of counterfeiting Silver!)

19) The total dollar value of the Silver market is a fraction of the total dollar value of the Gold market.

20) Most flat screen televisions use Silver in their internal electronics/screens and the US transfer from analog to digital signals in February 17, 2009 should temporarily increase the demand for new TV’s when the switch is made. http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html#faq3

21) Retail physical shortages of Silver are already beginning to appear around the world.

22) Hedge funds are bleeding from the credit crunch and they are looking for ways to save themselves. A single hedge fund can scoop up the remaining physical Silver and blow the price sky high.

23) In the US, Gold confiscation laws are still on the books but there are currently no silver confiscation laws.

24) In March 2008 the Gold price breached $1,000 or 120% of its historical high. Silver, on the other hand, only approached $21 or 40% of it’s historical high suggesting that Silver has a long way still to go.

25) Un-backed paper Silver programs such as silver certificates and unallocated pooled accounts are the “industry standard” these days and will be scrambling for metal when redemptions are called in by the investors.'

Some facts about silver -

'# Silver has superior bactericidal qualities. Small concentrations of silver or silver salts kill bacteria by chemically affecting the cell membranes, causing them to break down. Bacteria do not develop resistance to silver, as they do to many antibiotics.

# Silver is the best conductor of heat of all elements. Its uses in solar panels and automobile rear window defoggers take advantage of this quality.

# Silver is the best conductor of electricity of all elements. In fact, silver defines conductivity - all other metals are compared against it. On a scale of 0 to 100, silver ranks 100, with copper at 97 and gold at 76. Silver is commonly used in electrical circuits and contacts. Silver is also utilized in batteries where dependability is mandatory and weight restrictions apply, such as those for portable surgical tools, hearing aids, pacemakers and space travel.

# Silver has the highest degree of optical reflectivity of all elements. A silver mirror can reflect about 95% of the visible light spectrum. (most mirrors are silver). Besides vanity uses, mirrors are important components in telescopes, microscopes and solar panels.

# Silver is more ductile than any element except gold. One ounce of silver can be drawn into 8,000 feet of thin wire.

# Silver is more malleability than any element except gold. One grain of silver can be made into a sheet one hundred and fifty times thinner than a piece of paper.'

From http://www.silverusersassociation.org/silver/facts.shtml