SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has there ever been any UK coins that have been gold / silver in the UK ?

Er, most of them until fairly recently.

I was very tempted by a nice golden guinea at a local auction recently, but it went for more than I could justify paying.

Er, most of them until fairly recently.

I was very tempted by a nice golden guinea at a local auction recently, but it went for more than I could justify paying.

A golden guinea must have quite a bit of numistic value and it's probably much more valuable than it's intrinsic scrap gold, I am not sure what happens to the numistic value of gold coins in a gold boom. does anyone?

The British museum has a brilliant collection of ancient coins far better than the BOE museum if you are interested in that stuff (electium, silver pennies, roman, coppernose etc.) it is very stuffy not at all suitable for kids but its the best museum in the UK if you are very interested in the subject IMO.

:lol: yeah thanx for that!

iron running out in 2087. well I never.

reminds me of that picture of the huge copper nugget Chris Martenson uses in his crash course to demonstrate resource depletion.

The Iron page was wot came up in google - the search was a chunk of text from the original post.

Too many people --> too much demand and running out of things seems to be the the gist of this thread - I fear Maltheus could be right in the end.

:lol: yeah thanx for that!

iron running out in 2087. well I never.

reminds me of that picture of the huge copper nugget Chris Martenson uses in his crash course to demonstrate resource depletion.

Thanks to notanewmember for providing that link. It serves to remind us that silver actually is precious - and many other important metals will be in short supply within a couple of decades.

I googled "copper nugget Chris Martenson" and found text where he talks about it. Does anyone have a link to a picture of this nugget?

A golden guinea must have quite a bit of numistic value and it's probably much more valuable than it's intrinsic scrap gold, I am not sure what happens to the numistic value of gold coins in a gold boom. does anyone?

A few of the lower value, poor quality ones get scrapped, the remaining hardly increase because they are already way above the value of the gold content.

yes, it's black and white though, so you'll have to take their word that it's not just a big lump of grey sh1t! :lol:

Thanks that's pretty impressive.

USD falling badly against the euro. So the euro Ag and Au prices are up less than in USD.

Thanks that's pretty impressive.

USD falling badly against the euro. So the euro Ag and Au prices are up less than in USD.

What will happen IMO is that at a later stage EUR and GBP will fall massively against USD, but XAU and XAG will stay up in USD terms, i.e. massive appreciation in EUR and GBP terms.

What will happen IMO is that at a later stage EUR and GBP will fall massively against USD, but XAU and XAG will stay up in USD terms, i.e. massive appreciation in EUR and GBP terms.

If this happens, as I think it will, the US dollar price of gold is also likely to take a hit though will not be taken down nearly as much as other currencies. This is why it makes sense for someone to hold dry powder in US dollars if they are expecting future dollar strength which would most probably come with another round of deleveraging. I agree that those waiting in commodity currencies or the pound for a possible correction in gold could be waiting in vain as those currencies are likely to weaken more than gold.

Yes, I have been thinking the same. Owing to all the uncertainty though, my plan now is to use up my remaining (euro) cash by slowly averaging in over the whole summer.

Silver now at €11.0037.

I agree with this Auric - but the timeframe for the next round of deleveraging keeps eluding reason. My basic strategy is to wait until the next down leg has actually, clearly started and buy dollars on the way down - as the plunge could go all the way back to the 1.3s with a combination of return to risk aversion globally + next UK GDP and unemployment showing a real downward trend to a UK depression - oh and some 4 June election destabilisation thrown in..........

That said - after the next down leg I will get out of dollars and into.................. who knows.

That said - after the next down leg I will get out of dollars and into.................. who knows.

Good luck with Dollars! :blink::rolleyes:

I just don't get all this nickel picking in front of steam rollers that is going on on this forum. :unsure:

Thanks to notanewmember for providing that link. It serves to remind us that silver actually is precious - and many other important metals will be in short supply within a couple of decades.

I googled "copper nugget Chris Martenson" and found text where he talks about it. Does anyone have a link to a picture of this nugget?

Here's a decent size copper nugget...

medium_boulder.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2008...nal_park_b.html

I know this isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but when I bought a 1000 oz of silver in Goldmoney, one could still take delivery of a sngle bar. That was in November. I also checked by email with them that this was the case in December as I have only a small holding. Now, I see on the website:

Can I take delivery of 1,000oz silver bars as well?

Yes, provided you have at least 30,000 ounces of silver, which is roughly one pallet of 30 1,000oz bars.

Now, I know certain members on this forum have said this was the case before, but each time someone here said it, i checked the GM site and it definitely said one could take delivery of a single 1000 oz bar.

This may seem a small point, but I think it's important- on of our only routes to physically take delivery of economical 1000 oz bars just disappeared!!!!!!! :( - why would you want delivery of a 1000 oz bar? - well ,why did you sign up to GM in the first place? - for me it was precisely because the hurdles for takng delivery were quite small.

I am going to email GM with their original dated email to me stating that one could take delivery of single bars, to see why they changed it, and if they can reinstate it. Anyone else interested in the result?

I know this isn't the most exciting thing in the world, but when I bought a 1000 oz of silver in Goldmoney, one could still take delivery of a sngle bar. That was in November. I also checked by email with them that this was the case in December as I have only a small holding. Now, I see on the website:

Now, I know certain members on this forum have said this was the case before, but each time someone here said it, i checked the GM site and it definitely said one could take delivery of a single 1000 oz bar.

This may seem a small point, but I think it's important- on of our only routes to physically take delivery of economical 1000 oz bars just disappeared!!!!!!! :( - why would you want delivery of a 1000 oz bar? - well ,why did you sign up to GM in the first place? - for me it was precisely because the hurdles for takng delivery were quite small.

I am going to email GM with their original dated email to me stating that one could take delivery of single bars, to see why they changed it, and if they can reinstate it. Anyone else interested in the result?

Yes, keep us posted. I would be interested to hear the rationale for why you would need to own 30,000 ounces of silver in order to take possession of 1,000 ounces. :blink:

Yes, keep us posted. I would be interested to hear the rationale for why you would need to own 30,000 ounces of silver in order to take possession of 1,000 ounces. :blink:

I got them to figure this stuff out. 30 bars of silver = 1 pallet. That's all VIAMAT will shift about - guess they can't be arsed with the admin and faffing for the odd few bars. Goldmoney said that they could get a rep to pick up bars for you in London - for a fee (making it not that good a deal unless you were maybe going to get a lot). Things may have changed a bit since when all this got sussed (last Autumn?) though. My old posts have got more details I think. From what I remember, it never said anything about collection of silver on the website - that's why I got onto them - only said about collection of gold bars. You got an email saying you could collect single bars of silver with no fees?

Maybe send an email to Mr Turk directly (mention this website - he's aware of it) and show this email, state people are unsure of the facts (with reference to what's stated/not stated on the website) and ask what the score is.

I got them to figure this stuff out. 30 bars of silver = 1 pallet. That's all VIAMAT will shift about - guess they can't be arsed with the admin and faffing for the odd few bars. Goldmoney said that they could get a rep to pick up bars for you in London - for a fee (making it not that good a deal unless you were maybe going to get a lot). Things may have changed a bit since when all this got sussed (last Autumn?) though. My old posts have got more details I think. From what I remember, it never said anything about collection of silver on the website - that's why I got onto them - only said about collection of gold bars. You got an email saying you could collect single bars of silver with no fees?

Maybe send an email to Mr Turk directly (mention this website - he's aware of it) and show this email, state people are unsure of the facts (with reference to what's stated/not stated on the website) and ask what the score is.

Hi,

I sent a comment via their website and if it doesn't come back with a satisfactory answer I will email James T himself, I think that is a great suggestion.

The original email from GM is here for posterity; there are some fees, but in the event of a comex default or something of that scale, I wouldn't really give a flying monkey about the extra grand or so.

=========================================

A GoldMoney Administrator wrote on 2008-Dec-08 13:38:46

GMT:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your message.

GoldMoney customers can physically receive possession of

their metal but we only deal in bar form only. Therefore, a

customer must own at least 12,500 goldgrams or 1,000 oz of

silver in their Holding to take possession of a bar, as

this is the weight of the bars that comprise the gold and

silver held for customers in GoldMoney.

There is a GBP135.00 upfront fee for GoldMoney to draft up

a quote as the quote takes into account the location,

shipping, insurance and handling costs involved to deliver

a bar to whichever part of the world you wish to receive

the physical bullion. The GBP135.00 will be deducted off

the final quote.

For your information, it may cost approximately GBP675.00

to deliver a silver bar. If 2 or more bars are sent, the

delivery price of the additional bars is reduced

dramatically. For example, the cost difference of

delivering several bars is likely no more than 50% of the

cost for delivering a single bar.

Also, you can not take delivery of the bars at your home

address. You must pick them up at a designated delivery

location, which is generally the offices of a secure

transport company. Depending on where you live, the

distance to the nearest delivery location may vary.

If you can confirm your interest in having silver bars

delivered to you at these rates, we will obtain an exact

sterling quote for the transfer and then deduct that amount

in metal from the remaining funds in your Holding before the

metal was shipped to you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

xxxx xxxx

GoldMoney Support Team

Hi,

I sent a comment via their website and if it doesn't come back with a satisfactory answer I will email James T himself, I think that is a great suggestion.

The original email from GM is here for posterity; there are some fees, but in the event of a comex default or something of that scale, I wouldn't really give a flying monkey about the extra grand or so.

Yep, that's (the letter) what they figure for me. That does apply (unless they've changed their minds) - so you can get single bars - just with a fee. No fee on gold bars or if you can collect 30 bars of silver.

nice.

here's a silver one:

http://home.att.net/~desert-gold-diggers/gold/finds.htm

ss-nug2.jpg

Doug proudly shows his 290.8 troy ounce (about 20 pounds) silver nugget at the DGD Annual Picnic. It assayed at 82.95% pure Silver and was found on one of the DGD claims. Congratulations Doug.