SILVER

Kinda reminds me of a poster who went by the moniker of 'Twowave' (anyone remember him/her?), who for months was amazinngly accurate with his TA over on the Kitco forum and would post all sorts of wonderful charts for the week ahead, etc.

Then when the big move came i.e. up to +$20/oz, he got all his little followers to go short by posting downbeat charts every week until everyone cottoned on to the fact that they had been had by the time the price breached $15/oz. Needless to say, I enjoyed selling all the silver back them to them at +$20/oz...

Now, I'm not accusing Ker of the same tricks or of being wrong, but just reminding everyone why they shouldn't cling on to every word posted by anonymous entities over the net, especially not mine, else you'll only have yourself to blame should things turn against you.

Maybe a "Damper"? It sure does seem strange that he spends so much time enlightening the world on multiple boards.

http://www.meden.demon.co.uk/Articles/bestiary.html

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

platinum and gold price getting closer, I buckled a while ago and bought some plat. eagles, question is, if we do get parity between au & pt, where can you buy pt now, because kitco are not selling any at the mo?

I also haven't bought any Pt or, in particular, Pd yet. I hear there ETFs for this stuff? I'd prefer coins.

any thoughts on platinum? It seems to have taken a beating fairly recently. Back down to 2003 prices. I presume that's mainly due to it's industrial use?

Not to mention Rhodium...

I really think we're seeing some value here in Pt and Pd, maybe even more so in Pd. The car crisis is discounted for, it seems. These are still strategic metals.

I'd say there is great value in Pd and Pt if XPT < XAU and 4*XPD < XPT.

Pd might really be my next purchase here, rather than silver or gold. Although I haven't decided yet and am sort of winterly lethargic.

Pd might really be my next purchase here, rather than silver or gold. Although I haven't decided yet and am sort of winterly lethargic.

I was looking at these charts and thinking the same about Pt and Pd, although I've never even seen any before (!!).

I'm presuming you would buy and hold in physical bullion. In what form would you buy and why, and how would you spot fakes?

Hi all,

I'm holding onto some very badly timed purchases of silver ETFand Silver Wheaton. My ratio in value between the two is currently 10:1, although when I bought it was nearer 3:1 i.e. SW has done even worse than Silver. Assuming I still believe in the case for Silver, the courageous part of me is thinking now might be the time to flog my silver ETF and put the amount into the Silver Wheaton. Views?

Wanderer

Hi all,

I'm holding onto some very badly timed purchases of silver ETFand Silver Wheaton. My ratio in value between the two is currently 10:1, although when I bought it was nearer 3:1 i.e. SW has done even worse than Silver. Assuming I still believe in the case for Silver, the courageous part of me is thinking now might be the time to flog my silver ETF and put the amount into the Silver Wheaton. Views?

Wanderer

IIRC Petrov says that etfs follow the stock market. It's on one the gold investment analysis videos -

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6841701169481269722

'Remember, if you're one of the ones holding paper in the end, you will have given away your products and services for nothing.'

Robert Ringer

I was looking at these charts and thinking the same about Pt and Pd, although I've never even seen any before (!!).

I'm presuming you would buy and hold in physical bullion. In what form would you buy and why, and how would you spot fakes?

I'd buy bars or bullion coins from a reputable dealer.

I had the impression that where Gold went then Silver was not far behind.

How come silver has not moved up as much as gold?

Don't get me wrong - my gold is worth more...but I feel sorry for my silver...

True that silver tends to behave like leveraged gold, but not necessarily on the day or even the week.

ZealIntelligence has just posted an essay on the "Silver Crisis" which focuses on this aspect in the longer term:

http://www.zealllc.com/2008/silvcris.htm

(Longish and I only skipped through it.)

Patience, Grasshopper. ;)

Hi all,

Wanderer

Any thoughts on this?

Everyone, let's all buy massively on Tuesday. Obviously it will be a good day to do so if Ker indeed knows the future.

;)

I truly hope so... I have a few more Ks of turdling in-flight in the banking system on their way to Goldmoney. Hopefully the funds will clear during Tuesday so I can buy some cut price silver.

If Brown and Darling could just avoid talking down the pound this weekend so it has a mini rally on Tues that'd be even better. I don't hold out much hope though. :rolleyes:

China suffered hyperinflation after banning the ownership of silver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_yuan

In 1935, the Kuomintang Government enacted currency reforms to limit currency issuance to four major government controlled banks............The circulation of silver yuan coins was prohibited and private ownership of silver was banned.

......In the aftermath of the Second World War and during the civil war which followed, Nationalist China suffered from hyperinflation, leading to the introduction of a new currency in 1948, the gold yuan.

Second (Gold) yuan, 1948-1949

Banknotes of the first yuan suffered from hyperinflation following the Second World War and were replaced in August 1948 by notes denominated in gold yuan, worth 3 million old yuan. There was no link between the gold yuan and gold metal or coins and this yuan also suffered from hyperinflation.

Renminbi yuan, 1955-

A new yuan was introduced in 1955 at a rate of 10,000 old yuan = 1 new yuan. It is known as the renminbi yuan.

And it continues, newer currencies replace the old one at alarming exchanges. Worth a read.