SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - that's twice now ker has called it very well in as many weeks (provided it doesn't go lower!)

can someone tell me where I can buy physical silver in small units at $11-12oz ?!

the 1000oz bars are just a bit too big for me!

well it went to 10.80! sorry! i guess i missed it because i was thinking in terms of covering my shorts, but as for buying i think you better wait what happens tomorrow. right now there is no indication on the charts on it, like it could go below 10 from here, or like it could go above 12 , no clue yet ....

well it went to 10.80! sorry! i guess i missed it because i was thinking in terms of covering my shorts, but as for buying i think you better wait what happens tomorrow. right now there is no indication on the charts on it, like it could go below 10 from here, or like it could go above 12 , no clue yet ....

Yep it could go a lot lower... Remember that day of August 14 when silver went from 15 to 12 with 1 dollar drop during the day and 2 dollars during the night?

I get the same bad feeling here... I shall be watching the open of Globex with interest...

Nobody seems to be able to give a feasible explanation as to why silver is tanking so much.

Yes it's a paper problem, but there's lots of paper gold too and gold han't fallen like silver has.

Yes silver is traditionally volatile, but not this volatile, and in the current climate you'd have thought it would be held up by small investors buying as a protection against systemic collapse (cue all the stories about how to buy gold in the mainstream media).

The only explanation that sums it up for me is that silver is not behaving like a monetary metal at all at the moment. It sees to be being traded as a commodity much like rhodium and platinum are (and they've tanked as well).

All of my PM investments have been in silver up til July, when I went for gold instead. I'm seriously thinking of getting out of silver for a while until things are clearer - this deflationary scare may well put it below $10, as some here have said.

All of my PM investments have been in silver up til July, when I went for gold instead. I'm seriously thinking of getting out of silver for a while until things are clearer - this deflationary scare may well put it below $10, as some here have said.

If it's physical and you want to sell it at up to 25%+ spot please pm me :D

Yep it could go a lot lower... Remember that day of August 14 when silver went from 15 to 12 with 1 dollar drop during the day and 2 dollars during the night?

I get the same bad feeling here... I shall be watching the open of Globex with interest...

yes yes, i would be very comfortable to go long at 9 than at 10.80. lets see what happens monday we should have a low in gold for a retest of 820 and it could paint a picture for the week.

do you know Jason Homel?

well, he has some plans to bankrupt Comex, maybe you could follow his ideas , buy at spot price and save this 25%, I didn't read the article, but i think it will help you:

http://silverstockreport.com/2008/premiums.html

I dont know why but I get bad vibes from Jason Hommel. It makes me think of a lunatic!

I think his plan his rubbish and his analysis stupid... ;)

I believe it is just the plain old law of supply and demand applied to 100oz silver bars.

Most retail investors do not have the funds and account to take delivery of a futures contract at COMEX or LBMA (which Hommel does not mention at all although I believe this is a very large trading place for Silver). Therefore they are mostly stuck with buying 100oz bars (or under).

Because of the Credit crunch and resulting financial crisis, people (ie retail "investors") are panicking and taking their money out of banks and some are putting them into PM, including silver. Because this is done on a large scale, this creates a huge demand for this form of silver to which the supply side, being inelastic, can not reply, creating a shortage of 100oz bars. As for any supply/demand imbalance, price goes up. This translates in a much higher premium to spot because the spot market has a MUCH larger volume which makes it able to absorb increased demand in an easier way and its participants trade all year round (ie no tidal wave of new participants like I anticipate there is in the retail market). This means that the real Silver market (Spot) does not suffer from the same imbalance.

Actually I think his plan is not so rubbish. He has just spotted a supply/demand imbalance and will set up a venture to address and profit from it. However how long is this extremely increased demand going to last? One can assume long enough with the USD crisis. But by "flooding" the market the imbalance will be reduced and the premium (and hence potential profit) would be reduced.

Assuming there are large naked short positions in the futures market (and that is definitely not sure - see post http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....st&p=64492) and that the retail demand represents a large enough proportion of the physical silver market this could create a short squeeze driving the price up. But then again there are limits on amounts of physical delivery you can take from COMEX (implemented post Hunter Bros cornering attempt)

not yet, but likely in a few weeks this will be over:

Cheers, Ker - lets hope so.

Thought, sod it, a few hours back and bought a good few maples anyway! Come on silver, trot on!

EDIT: Tell you what, seems the UK and Asian markets like their silver some - but not America - from how things seem to trade. Ohhh well, we'll see.

Thanks for that chart. So maybe we've still got a couple of weeks to buy cheap silver. :)

yeah, i loaded on physical when it pulled back for the first time. i personally think silver at 10 will be the best buy of the year, Doug Casey bought tons of silver at 5 bucks , now you will be buying just about twice at what he have got it, and a bit cheaper than Jim Puplava, not bad. like a guy who made "some" money on the market said: "be greedy when people is fearful, be fearful when people is greedy" , so i think it is time to be greedy, specially on physical silver , mho

do you know Jason Homel?

well, he has some plans to bankrupt Comex, maybe you could follow his ideas , buy at spot price and save this 25%, I didn't read the article, but i think it will help you:

http://silverstockreport.com/2008/premiums.html

Jason Hommel is a bible-thumping lunatic who contradicts himself every other sentence.

Click [HERE] to read the (very civil) exchange between Hommel and Antal Fekete. Hommel makes a right pillock out of himself...

...and [HERE] to see the debate continue. Hommel looks dafter and dafter with every turd that drops from the misplaced rectum he talks out of, particularly whilst attempting to refute this article.

My current theory on gold is that it's being sold by banks and governments to raise cash, however the only people who can buy large bars are the mints, who can only process a certain amount as they only have one machine which slowly goes thunk, psssssht, thunk, psssssssht (see youtube).

As a result, the price of gold is not going to the moon, as the mints are limited in the quantity they can process, and hence the lowish gold price, despite the huge retail demand. It's all down to a bottleneck at the mints.

Now apply this to silver. Are the mints going to bother using their one machine or finite members of staff to process silver, when gold is in such demand? If not, then who is going to buy large bars?

Result - you have to wait ages, but at least it's cheap.