SILVER

Possibly, or maybe the retailers have bought above market aka UK householders, and don't like the lower prices and are holding on!

Are they paying way above spot to buy from you or below spot with wider spreads! Somethings is only worth what somebody else will pay?

Regards

ML

Some of the spreads at my local dealer are pretty wide, around 15 percent which when sales taxes are added on makes a very large difference indeed. I guess that the retailers have seen this kind of thing happen before and are not overly keen on letting too much of their stock go at low prices when they expect much higher prices in the future.

A few hours later and suddenly silver looks very bullish indeed. I want to see a break above the previous trend line at around 28.2 and then a retest and then I will be confident in calling the bottom. The fundamentals for silver are in my opinion very bullish indeed, but the past couple of weeks should serve as a reminder not to ignore the stupidities of the market and the power of the central banks.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This next chart is from www.sentimentrader.com

image002-1.gif

According to this chart (updated yesterday) sentiment hasn't been lower in the last 5 years however as the reading is a % it's worth noting the scale is only currently showing 30% - 90%.

I like that sentiment indicator. Corroborates with my own indicators for buying: time; a similiar period of time has elapsed since the other correction, and price; silver is now near half the price of the spike, once again reflecting the last correction.

Is then the bottom in?

I was thinking philharmonics or maples. It was silver maples for me and unless this "correction" goes further, I may have nailed the bottom at £549 a kg. We will see.

Is that £549 a kg plus VAT?

I think the next 7-14 days will show if it is a Bottom!

To be fair it has had a real pounding, and with all the gloomy news about, it is usually a sign of a very good time to buy!

Regards

ML

Is that £549 a kg plus VAT?

I think the next 7-14 days will show if it is a Bottom!

To be fair it has had a real pounding, and with all the gloomy news about, it is usually a sign of a very good time to buy!

Regards

ML

That was the spot price. The coins turned out at £22.88 each with VAT which is 20%.

Silver falls 9.5 pct in 2011, first loss in 3 years

31 Dec, 2011, 01.52AM IST,

NEW YORK: Silver logged its first annual loss in three years on Friday, backtracking from a near-doubling in price during 2010, as worries about the global economy and a recent slide in gold hurt demand.

US March silver futures on the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange settled up 2.2 percent from the previous day at $27.915, ending the year on a positive note as the metal followed gold's rally.

But the silver price was down 9.5 percent from the end of 2010, when it closed at $30.86 an ounce.

Silver prices plummeted shortly after they rallied to a record high of near $50 an ounce in early May, sparking the so-called commodities flash crash.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/commodities/silver-falls-9-5-pct-in-2011-first-loss-in-3-years/articleshow/11309902.cms

Silver falls 9.5 pct in 2011, first loss in 3 years

31 Dec, 2011, 01.52AM IST,

NEW YORK: Silver logged its first annual loss in three years on Friday, backtracking from a near-doubling in price during 2010, as worries about the global economy and a recent slide in gold hurt demand.

US March silver futures on the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange settled up 2.2 percent from the previous day at $27.915, ending the year on a positive note as the metal followed gold's rally.

But the silver price was down 9.5 percent from the end of 2010, when it closed at $30.86 an ounce.

Silver prices plummeted shortly after they rallied to a record high of near $50 an ounce in early May, sparking the so-called commodities flash crash.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/commodities/silver-falls-9-5-pct-in-2011-first-loss-in-3-years/articleshow/11309902.cms

mate! this is buy buy signal, underwater investments are the trend now! ;)

Stephen Leeb on silver. Any sources on the Chinese silver export stop?

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN_DailyWeb/Entries/2011/12/30_Stephen_Leeb__Expect_$5_Gas,_$60_Silver_%26_$3,000_Gold_in_2012.html

Segueing into silver, silver is even better here. The Chinese have started to stockpile silver, sort of hidden in an announcement they made the other day. They are not going to export any silver. China is not going to export, according to their latest announcement, not even one ounce of silver.

So, if I were to target silver for the end of 2012, I’m going to be very, very conservative and say silver will finish 2012 at $60. It’s going to make new all-time highs.”

Or you could of sold calls at $48, or bought puts ?Hedging a long position this is just a reasonable pull back in a long term bull market , there is nothing un healthy about it?

Regards

ML

Right.

For those who "don't want to give up physical Silver", then buying some long dated Puts,

perhaps by financing them by selling some Calls would have made good sense.

Sure it's hindsight - but it is worth remembering too.

Good find.

The Chinese holding onto their silver fits in with the notion of a currency reboot

I haven't seen this Silver chart anywhere else yet

ag2011.png

This week's low at $26.15 could be important.

We have seen Lows at almost the exact same level twice before

How much Silver? Could it be this low? :

Lowest ratio to demand "since the 1300's" (?!)

Silver is now back above the long term trend line and is now looking super bullish, at least to my eyes. My favoured route would be a move up to the 25 day moving average at 31, a succesful retest of the trendline and then a continued bull move, up to around 35 by the end of March and a high of 43 to 45 this year. The apparent top of the US dollar would add more evidence of a big bullish move in the next few months.

Wow, silver through the 27 barrier. My heavy buy order [AGQ at 40] was hit overnight. Will consider freeing up a little more bullion to buy a little more of this instrument in the next few weeks. 25 looks on the cards now, which is a 50% retracement, which would reflect the 2008 retracement from 20 to 10.

An excellent trade, congratulations.

Thanx. Silver up to 29.60. Would like to see it around the mid 30s before breathing a little easier. Probably then a sloooow climb towards 50 over the next year or so... then hopefully another explosive move to 100. My target for selling.

Well, the double-leverage ETF will make any retracement a bit more exciting for you, but so far so good. In fact, you may have demonstrated excellent timing with your ballsy move.

I think 50 by the end of the year is perfectly possible, but I'm not sure if we'll see 100 for a very long time. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but feel if we see it in the next few years, it will be after some extreme volatility, by which time things will be too hot for me and I'll be in gold or even cash. My target for selling is 65 within 2 years, I'd also start swapping to gold if the g:s ratio looks favourable again (around 40).

Thanx. Silver up to 29.60. Would like to see it around the mid 30s before breathing a little easier. Probably then a sloooow climb towards 50 over the next year or so... then hopefully another explosive move to 100. My target for selling.

Dream on it will not happen.........nations require resources not speculated silver spoons

Could be some astute timing there, I think with those levered ETFs it really needs to be.

Are there not issues with holding 2X levered ETFs like this over time? (in terms of rebalancing required, lag, futures rollover etc)

Found this, you may want to check it out (if you are not already aware of these issues)

The Case Against Leveraged ETFs

The Dangers Of Leveraged ETFs

For every dip, you need a greater rise to break even. The disparity is amplified by leveraging. If you work out the math, for 3X leverage, the rise has to be just greater than d/(1-3*d). So for a 10% dip in the non-leveraged ETF, it needs to recover by 14.28% in order for the leveraged ETF to break even!

http://seekingalpha.com/article/309261-the-dangers-of-leveraged-etfs

Leveraged Silver ETF Plunges Nearly 40% from Peak

http://www.etftrends.com/2011/05/leveraged-silver-etf-plunges-nearly-40-from-peak/

I only buy from large dealers/mints, at least you know what you're getting. We could probably do with a [high quality scan + measurements/weights of mainstream coin thread] on GEI as a reference. I think I'll start one.

The higher the price, the greater the incentive to fake anything and everything...!

That's whay I usually buy the newest coins from dealers and when you buy them in the right quantities you get them in the original mint tubes.

I only buy from large dealers/mints, at least you know what you're getting. We could probably do with a [high quality scan + measurements/weights of mainstream coin thread] on GEI as a reference. I think I'll start one.

The higher the price, the greater the incentive to fake anything and everything...!

id5's advice may help http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=3782&hl=

Of course over time the odd fake also helps in the game of spot the difference, can usually find a few on such as fleabay.

Totally agree with your comment and might as well go for at least bundles 25 as gf suggests.