SILVER

My intention is to hold PMs for another 3-5 years but at some point I'm going to lighten up on the silver.

All the same I'm not going to panic and maybe it's a mistake but I ain't selling weakness.

Talk about heaven and hell - what was it Kipling said about Triumph and Disaster!

That's where I'm at. Crap.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's where I'm at. Crap.

Look at it this way, at least you guys have had the balls to make an investment decision. I've been iffing & butting all year after making a New Year's resolution to dive in and act on my instinctive (and Financial Sense encouraged) feeling that gold & silver have to respond (eventually!) well to the unavoidable financial disaster still brewing thanks to central banks throwing more and more tea bags into the financial teapot. And I'm even more bullish about the price of oil now that it's dipped back to 'normal'. If I had any courage whatsoever I'd be emptying all my accounts into something tracking the price of oil, then walking away and forgetting about investments of any kind for five years.

I remain, however, invested only in depreciating cash.

There was a time, not so long ago, when I thought I was doing very well (compared to my offline peers) if I managed to save my Cash ISA allowance every year. Then I started visiting places like this and had my eyes opened. Sometimes I think ignorance is indeed bliss! :-)

Good luck with your decisions everyone. I came close to buying a few kg of silver recently... then the VAT put me off. Besides, I don't have any silver polish to keep it shiny. :-)

Andrew McP

Silver got another kicking today then - G:S ratio dropped a bit more. Arse.

Another day. Another 5% off silver. Ho hum.

Gold definitely has a "safe haven" image, which silver does not seem to share in the eyes of the market. It is still just tracking commodities, as far as I can see. But folk here are bullish on commodities, so I guess that's just fine.

Gold definitely has a "safe haven" image, which silver does not seem to share in the eyes of the market. It is still just tracking commodities, as far as I can see. But folk here are bullish on commodities, so I guess that's just fine.

It does but the Daily View for yesterday was surprised at how small the move was...

http://www.ft.com/cms/8787ae00-2a26-11dc-9...mp;fromSearch=n

Look at it this way, at least you guys have had the balls to make an investment decision...There was a time, not so long ago, when I thought I was doing very well (compared to my offline peers) if I managed to save my Cash ISA allowance every year....

I developed silver cahunas in January. I'll gladly swap my "gains" on silver for what you made on your cash ISA ;-)

I do not think that gold is really seen as money by most in the 21st century. This has to change if we are to see big, sustained gains, IMHO.

I would add that anyone holding gold is no worse off than they were last Friday. In fact they are slightly better off, depending on their currency. Compared to holders of commodities and stocks, they are much better off, but bonds seem to have done very well. So gold has been a "safe haven", whereas bonds have been profitable. However, silver seems to have little remaining "monetary" status, just going by the price movement. Gold looks to me like it is trying to find a bottom here, at least, if not rise a bit. But silver charts still just look plain nasty to me.

I think the reaction to the US IR decision may illustrate the point I am trying to make (gold sort of like cash, but not as good as bonds, silver not really money - all in the eyes of the market of course, my view is irrelevent, of course)

Leading up to the decision, Au rose, I'm guessing on speculation of a cut, then dropped back down on the hold.

Silver just caried on sideways as it had all aftenoon.

silver weak trading activity today indicates we are going lower, breaking 10.00 support. (just when i bought physical, damn)

FWIW - I see a potential double bottom at 9.5 (bottom of correction in 06).

It is crazy (to me anyway) to think that anybody that bought Silver in the last 2 years (and has not sold) is now sitting on a loss!!

From CoinInvestDirect.com

This item is not available for shipment to the selected Ship To country Great Britain until next calendar year. For 2008 we have reached the limit of VAT liable goods as per Article 34 of EC directive 2006/112/EC, VAT directive. Please chose a different Ship To country.

What a bloody pain in the ass, I was going to look at buying up a few thousand pounds worth of 1KG bars...

wonder If there is anyone I can get them sent to in euro land :mellow:

FWIW - I see a potential double bottom at 9.5 (bottom of correction in 06).

It is crazy (to me anyway) to think that anybody that bought Silver in the last 2 years (and has not sold) is now sitting on a loss!!

gold has a triangle with possible strong uptrend, silver survived 10.40, so, bear count on hold. watching ...

there is still a posibility of 12.50 , all depends on eur & oil

Come on silver - giddy up!

Your supposed to be the temperamental race horse - not the old nag at the back!

Hmmm. I took a very small (£500) leveraged position in LSIL at just under $18 on the basis that even if it fell a lot it would never go down to $9, purely to spice up my silver holdings, to have a bit of fun. :lol:

I can afford to lose it, but by christ I never imagined it would go anywhere near $9.

Silver is acting like a crippled pig.

Except for today, but I'm not counting chickens yet given the state of this market.

So, lots of talk of sub-$10 silver recently. Gold has made its way back up to levels of a couple of months ago. Silver having a little rally. But what next?

I'm still a little sceptical on Silver in the short-term. Which probably means $20/oz is just around the corner. ;)