SILVER

I find it odd that they offer `incentive` cash settlements as an alternative to delivery, because the COMEX is perfectly entitled to settle in cash rather than bullion, it's virtually an admission of guilt.

I keep hearing lots of people are waiting for a pullback to get in to the silver market, I'm starting to think any correction will be short lived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr5Kt1c8wQ8

I get your thinking but doubt they would get the market much lower because the physical market is so tight hence the backwardation. The chinese public are snapping up as much physical as they can get their hands on currently, the trouble is that they can't get the amount of physical that could be sold.

It is why the market is getting away from the paper manipulators IMO, that they can't control the physical demand. They can try to play their paper games, but then they are getting asked to deliver and are having to offer 20% - 80% incentives for cash settlement ,so they can't be doing that for long.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Collapse in price (of silver or gold) will just mean more and more people buying physical at cheaper prices.

I keep thinking about this idea of the weak hands being shaken out to provide cheap metal for the rest of us.

Just how many gold forums do you see with posters waiting for the correction, ready to back up the truck as soon as there's a dip?.

With so many buyers eagerly waiting is there much opportunity for a bargain now unless there's a large investor selling off (or manipulation)?.

(I'm talking about real metal here, not paper btw).

I keep thinking about this idea of the weak hands being shaken out to provide cheap metal for the rest of us.

Just how many gold forums do you see with posters waiting for the correction, ready to back up the truck as soon as there's a dip?.

With so many buyers eagerly waiting is there much opportunity for a bargain now unless there's a large investor selling off (or manipulation)?.

Dont wait. Just buy when ever, whatever you can afford. You wont go wrong. Well thats what I do anyway.

A very astute observation IMO. wink.gif

The are many waiting for any kind of pullback, plus the russians, chinese and indians looking to buy whenever possible without send the price too high. Any pullback will be bought heavily.

Physical bullion is not in weak hands now, the weakings were shaken out in the '08 massacre.

Interestingly Silver Wheaton has completely stopped responding to the hot metal itself, in fact quite the reverse....

http://www.google.co...nance?q=TSE:SLW

ps. maybe the market just doesn't like Randy Smallwood

It's not just SLW most of the PM stocks have been going down for the last week or so while the metals have been strengthening. There did seem to be a change yesterday though so we may have shaken out the week hands.

SLW/SLV ratio

SLW outperforming SLV ended in early December, almost a textbook head and shoulders (I have SLW puts as a hedge against a silver correction right now)

f502d846.jpg

I lifted my hedge a few days ago as it was about to go underwater.

Interestingly Silver Wheaton has completely stopped responding to the hot metal itself, in fact quite the reverse....

http://www.google.co...nance?q=TSE:SLW

ps. maybe the market just doesn't like Randy Smallwood

SLW/SILVER ratio today

Screenshot2011-04-21at201706.png

When priced in silver, SLW topped around 6th December and has been falling ever since. It looks a bit suspect to me, why wouldn't people be loading up on SLW at the same time???

To my mind the move in silver appears to be changing from a steady rise in a bull market to a parabolic blow off top. There needs to be a correction at some point.

I'm not an expert but this looks like a parabolic blow off top in the making...if it is SLW will get crushed. A final blast up to $49 or $50 for silver?

Screenshot2011-04-21at202658.png

The only way I can see this move continue is if there is a transition into a real dollar panic.

I put the option hedge back on, it's a very cheap way to protect against a serious correction.

DrBubb, whatever happened to Tom O'Brien's silver surplus he was talking about last year just before the price took off into the stratosphere, has he mentioned anything about it since or is he just hoping we all forget like his gold top call? Honest question not just sarcasm.

Long term silver is going to $100s an ounce. A correction here would be nice though.

I agree, Errol. But it's looking a bit buoyant over the last few weeks! - In my experience these kind of spikes ALWAYS correct, so I think I'm calling a preliminary top somewhere between here and $50. I'll be continuing to swap silver to gold if the ratio continues to move in a favourable direction. Also building dry powder.

silv20.jpg

I was just listening to the James Turk interview on KingWorldNews.com, a very respectable guy but I was a bit concerned by his repeated use of the word expect. I expect this will happen, I expect that will happen etc etc. He seems fairly certain we are on the precipice of a watershed event for the dollar. I find it disconcerting when people talk in such definite terms.

I expect one day next week there will be a large up move in silver with huge volume but the price will collapse on itself and begin to correct.

Because I expect this, I expect I am probably wrong, probably the market will just consolidate.

It's not just SLW most of the PM stocks have been going down for the last week or so while the metals have been strengthening. There did seem to be a change yesterday though so we may have shaken out the week hands.

SLW's biz model is dead.

No new suckers willing to give them silver for four bucks an oz.

I put the option hedge back on, it's a very cheap way to protect against a serious correction.

If only one didn't have resistance to learning new tricks; & a new language!

What are we all told? 'If you don't understand it, don't do it', but I have a lot of silver (not enough, but a lot :D ), hence the dilemma.

So may I ask how can I learn fast & safely, just for PMs?

& sorry to be not adding anything to the discussion, (no change there as usual)

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/slv-now-hard-borrow-goldman

And now for the latest news in the silver meltup: SLV just moved to Hard To Borrow status at Goldman Sachs. This pertains to institutionals who are Goldman Prime Broker clients. Soon coming to every prime broker near you. Comex margin hike imminent now that it is impossible to short the largest silver ETF in the world.

If I was capable of intelligent comment I might attempt one. Over to you guys :)

Jim Turk gave a really good explaination of backwardation here.

When silver can't be borrowed traders cant fill contracts with borrowed silver and repay with cheaper future contracts. It's very bullish for silver.