SILVER

The Silver stocks that I am going to be adding to is Silver Wheaton (SLW) & Silvercrest Mining (SVL), SLW have just instated their inaugural dividend, which I think bodes well for future share price action and I like their setup as I think inflation is the outcome and they have major inflation protection built into their production. I sold some Silvercrest recently as they where in a dealing account & I am going to re-buy them my ISA. I have recentlly switched my ISA from selftrade to TDW and have found out that some Toronto Venture exchange stocks can be held in an ISA with them, but couldn't be with selftrade.

I also already hold Great Panther Silver (GPR), Silvercorp Metals (SVM) & Hochschild (HOC) but don't think I will be adding to any of those as I already have big enough positions. I have made some major gains on these already since I bought most of them in Jan '09, but I don't think I will be tempted to take any profits as I believe in the long term price escalation of their product.

In gold I am also thinking of adding to New Dawn Mining (ND), Gammon Gold (GAM) & starting a new position in Gold Wheaton. The other gold stocks that I hold are Endeavour Mining (EDV), China Gold Int. Res. (CGG) & Alamos Gold (AGI).

I tend to start a position in a new stock small and build it over time as I find out more about the company, buying more on pullbacks.

Thanks Pixel.

There is a good interview with the CEO of SLW on financialsense.com - the point about the dividend is interesting.

http://www.financialsense.com/financial-se...0-dollar-silver

I am looking at a number of silver stocks including Avino, Alexco, Fortuna, Impact Silver and Silver Bear Resources. All are small and mid cap. In gold, have you come across Medusa Mining (MML)? They are producing 100k oz pa at cash costs of under $190. MML is a high grade narrow vein miner and are currently building up to expand their existing mine to over 200k oz pa in 2013. They have a potential open pit mine, which will add another 200k oz pa by 2015. There are also several other potential gold and copper targets and all development is being financed by internal cash generation. MML also pays a six monthly dividend - i've yet to find another gold stock that is such a cash machine. Here is the latest presentation:

http://www.medusamining.com.au/newsroom/as...resentation.pdf

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Pixel.

There is a good interview with the CEO of SLW on financialsense.com - the point about the dividend is interesting.

http://www.financialsense.com/financial-se...0-dollar-silver

I am looking at a number of silver stocks including Avino, Alexco, Fortuna, Impact Silver and Silver Bear Resources. All are small and mid cap. In gold, have you come across Medusa Mining (MML)? They are producing 100k oz pa at cash costs of under $190. MML is a high grade narrow vein miner and are currently building up to expand their existing mine to over 200k oz pa in 2013. They have a potential open pit mine, which will add another 200k oz pa by 2015. There are also several other potential gold and copper targets and all development is being financed by internal cash generation. MML also pays a six monthly dividend - i've yet to find another gold stock that is such a cash machine. Here is the latest presentation:

No I wasn't aware of Medusa after a quick read it seems very interesting, I will need to look more into this thanks. :)

I have been adding to SLW over the last 2 years whenever I have had any spare cash, they seem to be a no-brainer to me.

There's plenty out there, agree completely with Pixel on SLW, that divi will put an excellent floor under the price. However it's had a very good run so it's probably worth waiting for a pullback before entering.

Royal Gold (RGLD) has a similar model in gold royalties, that hasn't moved as far as SLW but has the potential to do so.

For silver miners consider ECU Silver Mining, Bear Creek Mining, Aurcana Corp, Great Panther and First Majestic as well as the ones you mentioned above.

For gold check out Atna Resources, Brigus Gold, Gold Bullion Dev Corp, Agnico Eagle, Osisko and Gold One. My current favorite is Atna - huge potential there.

I think the key is diversification, usually 10-20% of mining stocks will be absolute dogs or even 'widowmakers' in performance terms. Putting all you eggs in one basket in this sector is absolutely suicidal, so I like to stay in over 20 different companies at all times.

Another one worth a look is Jim Sinclair's Tanzania Royalty Exploration (TRE) - looks like a run of the mill explorer at the moment but they plan to pay future divis in gold! As with most miners it has has huge short position against it and takes some brutal hits from time to time. One of these hits has just started, so a good buying opportunity may be coming up.

There's plenty out there, agree completely with Pixel on SLW, that divi will put an excellent floor under the price. However it's had a very good run so it's probably worth waiting for a pullback before entering.

I get the feeling SLW will be on a run this week after the interview on FSN and with the div announcement. I think I may add some more early on Monday. I get the feeling that now they have a dividend that they will be opened up to a few more funds getting involved which could see the price surge for a bit longer. I also feel we haven't seen the top in silver yet in this run, which will help the price.

Thanks for the others that you are interested in. :)

I believe it might.

For those who have lived through the torrid experience of seeing silver crash year after year, until 2009,

even this rally is seen with a lot of skepticism. Silver is currently 51% above its 200 DMA and is bound

to return some day. This could be the 28$ level. There is a lot of inexperienced money flowing into silver at this moment, and there is bound to be a big profit taking opportunity some time this spring.

Having invested heavily in 2006, silver is currently making me a paper profit more than gold, which I

would find hard to believe a few months ago. I should add, that I expect silver to have a very high chance to move

for a brief period into the 40's and tiny chance to reach even the 50's, should gold break through its previous high (1440).

I believe it might.

For those who have lived through the torrid experience of seeing silver crash year after year, until 2009,

even this rally is seen with a lot of skepticism. Silver is currently 51% above its 200 DMA and is bound

to return some day. This could be the 28$ level. There is a lot of inexperienced money flowing into silver at this moment, and there is bound to be a big profit taking opportunity some time this spring.

I believe it might too. But in the meantime the G:S Ratio is at 39.5 to 1. How low can it go before it bounces back? Listening to the FSN roundtable on silver last week almost everyone is long term bullish but short term almost bearish on silver.

I must admit that these charts are very good. My general feeling about using charts to make investments is that the process falls somewhere between hepatoscopy and tea leaf reading. However, your success here does leave me quite impressed.

In fact several people on this forum have seemed to successfully use charts to make predictions over the years . Some that go way beyond extrapolation and are actually quite extraordinary. Perhaps there is something to these lines joining seemingly random highs and lows. Yet I remain sceptical.

Sure charts are good for identifying general trends. You can visually get a sense of rates of change and such. But I personally would be reluctant to make an investment based on a chart alone. When it comes to money there is no place for superstition.

Nice to see the gold:silver ratio breaking 40 this morning, currently at 39.57.

I think this GSR chart shows a lot of the patterns currently in play. Sorry haven't updated it for a while, but the target looks like it could be below 30 to me.

20101209-jti8unqt5mj9wbpcfx9x24b4fn.jpg

rinse ancd repeat

how much paper metal have these feckers got at their disposal ??

If the trillions of OTC derivatives is anything to go by many times more than the smallish, by comparison, physical metals markets.

Nice to see the gold:silver ratio breaking 40 this morning, currently at 39.57.

I think this GSR chart shows a lot of the patterns currently in play. Sorry haven't updated it for a while, but the target looks like it could be below 30 to me.

20101209-jti8unqt5mj9wbpcfx9x24b4fn.jpg

So we have crashed through that green line and headed to the red one below? Brain is saying 'time to swap S for G, time to swap S for G' yet it keeps going...Actually its one of my 'better' worries right now. ;)

So we have crashed through that green line and headed to the red one below? Brain is saying 'time to swap S for G, time to swap S for G' yet it keeps going...Actually its one of my 'better' worries right now. ;)

Yes I think we could well see the GSR drop below 30 over the next few months. It all depends I think on what happens when QE2 starts to run out in June, I think they could either allow another wave of deleveraging or could preempt it by announcing an extension or QE3 before. As long as the QE carries on I think silver will carry on improving over gold.

Many commentators are talking about swapping currently, but I think they are too early.

They never said it would run out in June. They only announced what they would do up until June.

It looks like they might need to announce extra before June judging by this;

...Known as quantitative easing or “QE2,” the policy has entailed the Fed buying up U.S. bonds, including cash reinvested from maturing mortgage-related holdings, in a bid to curb upward pressures on interest rates and thus foster the economic recovery. Through Tuesday, the Fed had bought back about $458 billion under the $600 billion program, according to the latest tally compiled by Morgan Stanley...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/paul-othe...anke-2011-03-02

It looks like they might need to announce extra before June judging by this;

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/paul-othe...anke-2011-03-02

Like this?

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Summers/mar012011.html

1. There will be no QE 3.

2. Bernanke will be dumped as Fed Chairman.

3. Kansas Fed President Tom Hoenig will be the next Fed Chairman