SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo!

A mind boggling number of newsletter writers took silver short positions last week and were encouraging their subscribers to go short too to "hedge" their gold positions and "manage risk" :blink: . Good grief! Those guys are toast!

Fortunately I didn't follow their advice but yes I will be canceling a few subscriptions this evening.

Who were suggesting that?

Stewart Thomson:

When this Gold bull market ends, everything except Gold and the dollar will crash. Send me an email to freereports4@gracelandupdates.com if you want to learn more about to how handle yourself now, on the Silver grid. I’ll send you a free detailed plan of action. The bottom line is: Gold will be locked to debt/dollars. Not Silver. Silver is poised to end the bull market with a worse crash than 1980. Why? Answer: Because the level of interest rates required to halt the food price rises that will threaten and begin to create revolution worldwide, is probably about the same as it was in the last bull market. In fact, it may require higher rates now, because of the fundamental weakness of the dollar that exists now. This is a far worse situation than 1929, let alone 1979. America’s economic foundation was still relatively strong in 1979.
http://news.silverseek.com/SilverSeek/1298393515.php

Stewart Thomson is ignoring the supply deficit situation in silver that Dominic pointed out this morning.

Just what I was thinking, proving that I do have my moments.....or moment more like :rolleyes:

Seriously, It's quite unnerving when someone you follow comes out with something you feel is plain wrong.

I wonder if anyone has told him?

Heads up! - CFTC once again taking comments on concentrated short positions...

Ted Butler (SilverSeek);

The Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) concerning the issue of position limits in COMEX silver. Now the CFTC has solicited your opinion again for what will be the last time. The current open comment period, through March 28, is the culmination of all the public hearings and commentary over the past two years. Your comments on silver position limits make a difference. Private legal counsel and even sources within the Commission have assured me that there can be serious consequences for the CFTC should they ignore the will of the public, when that public opinion is reasonable.

So, make your voice heard!

http://comments.cftc.gov/PublicComments/Co...orm.aspx?id=965

[All that is required is your first and last name and email address (repeated) and to use the validation code before submitting your comment. Your email address will not be published]

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/02/21/u...E71K2P020110221

(Reuters) - The Heraeus Photovolataic Business Unit is building a new facility in Singapore to produce silver metallization paste used in crystalline solar cell applications, the company said on Monday.

The company, a unit of German precious metals house Heraeus, said the plant will include research and development, manufacturing, sales and technical services, and is expected to being operations in the second half of 2011.

The new facility will be Heraeus' fourth manufacturing site of its kind. The company already produces paste for the photovoltaic industry in the United States, Germany and China.

Silver use in the fabrication of photovoltaic cells has grown rapidly in recent years and is set for further expansion, metals consultancy GFMS said in its latest industry report on the metal for the Silver Institute.

Silver prices have rallied sharply in recent years, reaching a 31-year high at $33.50 an ounce on Monday. Analysts say rising industrial demand for the metal is set to be a key support to the market this year.

Silver bricks worth over Rs 90 cr found in Puri mutt

link

Five hundred and twenty-two pieces of silver bricks, weighing about 18.17 tonnes and estimated to be worth over Rs. 90 crore at the current market rates, were found at a 300-year-old mutt in Puri on Saturday.

The silver bricks were found in a windowless and doorless room of the Emar Mutt, in front of the 12th century Sri Jagannath Temple here. The mutt is governed by the Orissa Religious Hindu Endowment Act and is under the Jagannath temple administration.

Puri SP Sanjay Kumar said the bricks, reported to be 99.92 per cent pure silver, were recovered after a person was arrested in Dhenkanal while selling a few such bricks. “The person said he found the bricks in a room of the mutt while doing some repair work there a few months ago,” said Kumar. “We found several such bricks in that room. While some bore the mark of the Bank of Shanghai, others had the Bank of Canada mark.”

Turk on GoldSeek Radio this weekend.

1h19m in. Comments on Silver backwardation.

My thoughts: Can we join the dots between Lease rates going up and Backwardation? It's logical that arbitrageurs would sell silver on the spot market, then buy (cheaper) futures and use the $$ in the interim. Selling spot now may require leasing in of the metal, so lease rates have risen to make the arbitrage less profitable. The speed with which lease rates rise therefore may indicate the tightness of physical supply; i.e. selling spot via leasing in silver very quickly emptied that potential source.

lease.jpg

EDIT:

Derived Lease Rate = LIBOR - SIFO

DLR is what is shown on Kitco.

DLR posiive and large means it is not economical to lease silver into the spot market.

Another great day for all those still in Great Panther Silver (GPR) with another 11.5% gain today. :D

Who says buy and hold doesn't work, now up 1150% in just over two years.

20110228-canhgcwgtpdb98s1r7xyf4kq4p.jpg

From the KWN blog:

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN..._the_Cards.html

When asked about silver specifically Davies remarked, “A few notable commentators such as James Turk have talked extensively about the commercial signal failure in silver. As King World News readers know, we have been a proponent of this thought process as well. Positive silver lease rates at this point are more a function of credit risks, i.e. counter-party concerns, than they are about egregious metals shortages although metals shortages clearly exist.

Right now it would appear that as the March/May spread is not moving wider, it is unlikely that we will experience commercial signal failure. Certainly open interest on the March contract is reduced to 4,000 contracts. Having said that, it only takes a few short contract holders failing to deliver to set off a short squeeze in the market.”

So Ben thinks that the DLR going up is more about counterparty risk than metal shortage. Could be.

Its still not too late!

I'd be buying gold miners now if I were still buying but I bought a while back like Pixel so am sitting tight now for the duration.

GPR just keeps getting better yesterday ended up 15.5% up and today is already 11.7%. I think this must be to do with the fact that GPR just got a NYSE listing and now has silver in it's name. :D

GPR just keeps getting better yesterday ended up 15.5% up and today is already 11.7%. I think this must be to do with the fact that GPR just got a NYSE listing and now has silver in it's name. :D

Hi Pixel,

I got into GPR a bit later (my average was $2.30). I watched in for a long time so glad I finally took the plunge. The AMEX listing has definitely helped but GPR is a real cash cow right now with cash costs of $7/oz (forecast to fall to $5) and 50% production growth forecast for 2012. I met the CEO (Robert Archer) at the London Silver Summit last November and was very impressed. Am intending to hold for a few years yet as I think this has much further to go over the next 3-5 years.

Jim