SILVER

How about option 3 a rocket up to $50 over the next 6 months. Which is always a strong possibility considering the manipulation ending, CFTC position limits, the massively short JPM having to start clearing in a rising market while having multiple (25 and counting) legal cases against them.

TA is now pointless, log chart or otherwise. :P

Yes, also possible, which is why I've always kept a good core position. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a good correction before heading to that $50 at a later date.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Pix, you are quite obviously used to seeing a clear picture of things. Roman, don't bub about silver, I would think when the next crisis comes along margin calls may well cut silver back to a better entry point, $18 may be unrealistic though........

Silver did retrace from 20 to 10, so a retracement from 30 to 15 is possible..... but I wouldn't bet the house on it, and haven't.

My silver trade is to increase my dollar "hedge". the aim is to not risk dollars here [strange as that may sound]. If silver pulled back to only say 22 or so, I'd still consider buying [say AGQ], sitting on and selling when silver gets to around 50 where I'd sell... could involve sittng a couple of years.

I don't blub [did you mean blub?] about silver because I put 10% of my worth into it near 3 years ago... this was a core investment [kilo bars] and is non-tradable.

The strategy outlined above involves seeing the dollar as the next strongest form of liquidity next to gold/ silver [i'm not a hyper-inflationist]. Because I think silver will be massively volatile, with the deleveraging undercurrent affecting it more than gold, I have a duplicitious approach to it; it's both a core investment and a trade against dollars.

This helps to balance out a "portfoilio" that would otherwise soon become massively overweight in bullion [without having to sell core bullion]. :o

I was in Amsterdam last weekend and bought as a birthday present to myself a 1929 2 1/2 guilder coin from a dealer for 14 euros. He told me it was 945/1000 silver and it weighs 25g, but when I got home the internet tells me it's only 720/1000. He got the weight right though.

Don't trust coin dealers on Nieuwezijds Vorburgwal

UNPINNED

Goldfinger has unpinned this thread

I would unpin all threads. If a thread is popular, it will swim up anyway (free market approach). As for the literature threads etc., maybe there is a more suitable (less populated) subforum for them.

/source: http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index....showtopic=12377

If people want it move to another section, so it is easier to find, please suggest on the above thread, where you would like it moved.

Or...

If you feel it MUST be pinned, please register that comment too

I was in Amsterdam last weekend and bought as a birthday present to myself a 1929 2 1/2 guilder coin from a dealer for 14 euros. He told me it was 945/1000 silver and it weighs 25g, but when I got home the internet tells me it's only 720/1000. He got the weight right though.

Don't trust coin dealers on Nieuwezijds Vorburgwal

Don't trust those scantily-clad lonely ladies that sit in their front room with the light on and invite you in for a cup of tea either - they have other things in mind <_<

Edit: Some are not even proper ladies :unsure:

JP Morgan buying up all the copper.

Traders said JP Morgan's name had been circulating the market all day as the most likely buyer, especially since it is about to launch a physically-backed "exchange-traded fund" (ETF) in copper imminently.

One metals broker dealing on the LME said: "The story is that they're positioning themselves in front of the ETF. There's been a lot of speculation it's them."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...per-on-LME.html

An ETF with real stuff backing up the paper? Shurely not :lol:

silver-6.gif

The chart's suggesting two options for silver here: sideways for a bit as in leg 1, or a correction as in leg 2.

The move up in 2 was from 12 to 20, which would equate with the recent move up from 18 towards 30 odd.

2008 was an extraordinary year, i don think we will see capitulation like that again for a while, that was overkill in all markets - extreme fear, people are wise to that now.

If ever that happens again though, i'm buying call options all over the place.

some of my stocks have rise 6, 10 and even 20 fold since then.

Silver did retrace from 20 to 10, so a retracement from 30 to 15 is possible..... but I wouldn't bet the house on it, and haven't.

My silver trade is to increase my dollar "hedge". the aim is to not risk dollars here [strange as that may sound]. If silver pulled back to only say 22 or so, I'd still consider buying [say AGQ], sitting on and selling when silver gets to around 50 where I'd sell... could involve sittng a couple of years.

I don't blub [did you mean blub?] about silver because I put 10% of my worth into it near 3 years ago... this was a core investment [kilo bars] and is non-tradable.

The strategy outlined above involves seeing the dollar as the next strongest form of liquidity next to gold/ silver [i'm not a hyper-inflationist]. Because I think silver will be massively volatile, with the deleveraging undercurrent affecting it more than gold, I have a duplicitious approach to it; it's both a core investment and a trade against dollars.

This helps to balance out a "portfoilio" that would otherwise soon become massively overweight in bullion [without having to sell core bullion]. :o

Seeing as you are so keen on log charts here's one for the last 8 years in silver. Expecting a pullback from $30 to $15 doesn't look very likely to me especially with all the JPM covering to come.

If your lucky you may get a pullback between $40 and $50 but I think physical will be much harder to actually buy then. I still don't get the thinking behind having a hedge in dollars when we are facing a fiat currency crisis. I have bought gold, silver and miners as my hedge, Is it a hedge against your hedge? If so that seems like a way of like a way to cancel out your gain to me.

20101204-ewp6c93jycs9ska69cyymjxsui.jpg

I still don't get the thinking behind having a hedge in dollars ............, Is it a hedge against your hedge? If so that seems like a way of like a way to cancel out your gain to me.

No. It's a hedge against a core bullion position. Core bullion is not itself a hedge against TSHF scenario or hyper-inflation.... it's a prime currency to be liquid in.

Now, seeing as I'm not a hyper-inflationist [though the dollar will depreciate against gold], I can trade say half my dollar hedge for silver, which I think will be volatile. That way, even as the core bullion increases in dollar value, I will have a good chance of the dollar hedge keeping up with the value of the bullion. It means also that I don't have to be 100% "invested" in gold..... and will just have to be content with the measly 50% I already have [and 10 in silver]. B)

Posted on the Gold thread but seeing as they do Silver as well...

---------------

I see Baird & Co. have just introduced a 'GoldSavers account'.

http://www.goldline.co.uk/goldsavers.page

GoldSavers from Baird & Co. is the ideal way for investors to affordably accumulate gold and silver.

An internet hosted gold and silver savings platform with online access to your account, backed by Baird & Co Bullion Merchants and Refiners. Save what you like, when you like, and when you're ready sell some or all of it back to us.

With the option to convert your GoldSavers online holdings into Baird & Co gold and silver .9999 bars, starting with our smallest 2.5g gold bar, delivered securely to you.

No. It's a hedge against a core bullion position. Core bullion is not itself a hedge against TSHF scenario or hyper-inflation.... it's a prime currency to be liquid in.

Now, seeing as I'm not a hyper-inflationist [though the dollar will depreciate against gold], I can trade say half my dollar hedge for silver, which I think will be volatile. That way, even as the core bullion increases in dollar value, I will have a good chance of the dollar hedge keeping up with the value of the bullion. It means also that I don't have to be 100% "invested" in gold..... and will just have to be content with the measly 50% I already have [and 10 in silver]. B)

You will notice if you re-read my post above that I mentioned neither TSHF or hyper-inflation as the reason that I consider PM's a hedge. I consider them to be a hedge against the fiat currency crisis which I believe us to be in the middle of. I know that you like to categorise me as a hyper-inflationist, but I am not really determined that is the way this fiat currency crisis will end.

So you maybe now you understand that what I view as happening is fiat currency crisis, which means the last thing that I think worth holding is any fiat currency. Please now stop categorising me as a hyper-inflationist, if you need to categorise me as anything be it a fiat currency crisis believer.

Won't the JP Morgan be supported by the Feral Reserve - with whatever it takes?

Yes. That means the JPMoron can buy their doodoo naked silver shorts back at ANY paper price.

Personally, ATM, I would be more than happy to sell them mine at $140/oz (only to buy gold bullion from the proceeds, of course).

Yes. That means the JPMoron can buy it's doodoo naked silver shorts back at ANY paper price.

Personally, ATM, I would be more than happy to sell them mine at $140/oz (only to buy gold bullion from the proceeds, of course).

An ounce of silver has to be worth at least £100 based on todays value of the pound. Im not selling until at least £100, assuming prices remain similar to where they are now.

An ounce of silver has to be worth at least £100 based on todays value of the pound. Im not selling until at least £100, assuming prices remain similar to where they are now.

Short term I might trade some. What I suggested was g:s = 10:1 - more than a good reason to trade some silver for gold, even if the nominal price was somewhat disappointingly at $140/oz. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6B53K220101206

SEC to toughen custody rules for broker-dealers

(Reuters) - The top U.S. securities regulator said on Monday that she plans to hold broker-dealers more accountable for their customers' assets after Bernard Madoff duped his clients out of billions of dollars.

"We are considering enhancing oversight of broker-dealer custody by providing new information and tools to regulatory examiners," U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Mary Schapiro said at an accounting conference.

Months after Madoff was arrested in late 2008 for operating his epic Ponzi scheme, the SEC beefed up its oversight of investment advisers.

Madoff's investment advisory business was registered with the SEC. He was also registered as a broker-dealer and supervised by the SEC and industry-funded watchdog the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority .

The SEC's rule subjects some 1,600 investment advisers who physically hold their customers' assets to a surprise audit to ensure that the assets are really there.

Now the SEC is mulling ways to improve auditors' oversight of broker-dealers.

Look out JPMChase, Morgan Stanley et al...not like there's a track record for this kinda thing...

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1228014520070612

Morgan Stanley to settle class-action lawsuit

The suit, filed in August 2005, alleged that Morgan Stanley told clients it was selling them precious metals that they would own in full and that the company would store.

But Morgan Stanley either made no investment specifically on behalf of those clients, or it made entirely different investments of lesser value and security, according to the complaint.