SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone been buying the Coin invest direct Heraeus bars ?

They work out be the cheapest Kilo bars around, but im now thinking I should buy some more popular (Umicore etc) bars that have serial No's / certificates ? as they'd be recognised / easier to sell. Any opinions ?

If you know someone in mainland Europe to get delivered to, the big 1kg Koalas etc. are cheaper than the ugly bars IIRC. After a little recount yesterday, I've decided I also will get more silver coins (1 oz) as SHTF money on Monday. I have quite a bit, but seeing how the sovereign debt crisis is playing out textbook-like, HI will come in afew years time. Most people who predicted this crisis have predicted HI too, while people like Bernanke have proven to be absolutely clueless.

They work out be the cheapest Kilo bars around, but im now thinking I should buy some more popular (Umicore etc) bars that have serial No's / certificates ? as they'd be recognised / easier to sell. Any opinions ?

I have both of those bars. The heraeus bars are nicer than the Unicore bars. Neither came with certificates and both have numbers on. They are equal IMO as they are both recognised kilo bars.

Anyone see this in the telegraph BTW?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...s.html?image=12

Umicore (1KG + 5KG) and Metalor (1KG) bars are by far the nicest modern bars I've seen and out of personal preference I would chose these over the Heraeus bars, as they have a poorly finished back to them. However I wouldn't pay any more for them than the Haraeus bars, I don't think it's worth it, silver is silver. Some times CID advertise Heraeus and then supply Umicore bars, but this is unusual.

EDIT: I have some old Engelhard bars which are my favourite, they are old, serial numbered, a bit dinged and almost blue in places due to handling/tarnish. They must have been refined 60+ years ago, they have that authentic I've been sitting in a vault for ever look. When you see them you can't help but pick them up and start building something out of them. It's like adult lego! :)

Having said all of that, if you don't mind the additional premium and you are concerned about being able to resell them, no one would question the authenticity of the 1KG coins as GF suggests. The level of detail/precision in some of them is quite impressive.

Interesting... Why do you prefer Heraeus over Umicore? Is it the shape/size?

I have both of those bars. The heraeus bars are nicer than the Unicore bars. Neither came with certificates and both have numbers on. They are equal IMO as they are both recognised kilo bars.

Edit:

You must be talking about a Gold Heraeus bar.

Some times CID advertise Heraeus and then supply Umicore bars, but this is unusual.

Having said all of that, if you don't mind the additional premium and you are concerned about being able to resell them, no one would question the authenticity of the 1KG coins as GF suggests. The level of detail/precision in some of them is quite impressive.

Yes that happened to me, received a Umicore bar from them.

May diversify a bit then & purchase a 1KG coin, saw some pics of them on GEI & was impressed.

I guess my main concern was that without serial No's / certificates will people be more cautious?

Just out of curiosity what is the serial NO on bullion actually used for ?

Can dealers search a database for authenticity, is it used for tracking ?

I honestly wouldn't worry about the lack of a serial number. If you'd gone to the trouble of faking a 1kg silver bar, adding some random numbers to the face of it and including a small card with the same number is fairly trivial IMO.

The numbers are for traceability, so if the integrity of that bar is ever questioned, they can see which employee(s) refined it and when. As far as I know these numbers are not available to the outside world.

I guess my main concern was that without serial No's / certificates will people be more cautious?

Just out of curiosity what is the serial NO on bullion actually used for ?

Can dealers search a database for authenticity, is it used for tracking ?

If you know someone in mainland Europe to get delivered to, the big 1kg Koalas etc. are cheaper than the ugly bars IIRC. After a little recount yesterday, I've decided I also will get more silver coins (1 oz) as SHTF money on Monday. I have quite a bit, but seeing how the sovereign debt crisis is playing out textbook-like, HI will come in afew years time. Most people who predicted this crisis have predicted HI too, while people like Bernanke have proven to be absolutely clueless.

Can you take delivery in mainland europe and then bring into the Uk without paying import duty?

Interesting... Why do you prefer Heraeus over Umicore? Is it the shape/size?

The Heraeus bars are thiner, wider and longer, nicely finished on the tops. The Umicore bars are as well finished on the tops but as the tops are smaller due to the bars being thicker, the sides and base have folds and casting features. Also, I think Im right in saying that the Umicore bars are made from recycled silver. Im not too fussed but I prefer the Heraeus bars.

I went to the MoneyShow on Saturday, which had been preceded by a convenient fall in the price of silver.

I was comparing the price of CID who I knew were going to be there with their 100kg gold mapleleaf - the size of a pizza.

There was another company I'd not heard of before, bullionbars.eu. aka Atkinsons the Jewellers. He was not as competitively priced, as he was selling Umicore 100g bars of silver. He talked about his margins, and I said what a shame it was I couldn't buy second-hand stuff, because of the VAT only being levied on his profit margin, rather than on the full value.

He thus presented me with a 10oz Johnson Matthey bar for which I paid £174. Beat that!

He said it was worth getting in touch if I wanted to buy more, so I will. I'm sharing this news with you guys as my needs are modest.

Too right, silver's silver in my book. I understand what you mean by casting marks, but oddly my Heaeus bars have more than my Umicore bars, I guess it's luck of the draw to some degree.

If anyone is looking for a cast free bar, the Metalor bars are perfect.

The Heraeus bars are thiner, wider and longer, nicely finished on the tops. The Umicore bars are as well finished on the tops but as the tops are smaller due to the bars being thicker, the sides and base have folds and casting features. Also, I think Im right in saying that the Umicore bars are made from recycled silver. Im not too fussed but I prefer the Heraeus bars.

I always order (albeit infrequently) from CID and get delivered to mainland Europe where I pick up at a later date.

I am again about to order a qty of 1oz SHTF (or indeed my bairn's inheritance) coins and I find myself wondering whether in a SHTF situation one sovereignty's coins would fare better than another's? For eg, I've been buying phillies as they are the cheapest but would maples, libertads or eagles be more 'tradable' than that of a somewhat xenophobic nation's coinage?

Perhaps we should all be buying Pandas?

I went to the MoneyShow on Saturday, which had been preceded by a convenient fall in the price of silver.

I was comparing the price of CID who I knew were going to be there with their 100kg gold mapleleaf - the size of a pizza.

There was another company I'd not heard of before, bullionbars.eu. aka Atkinsons the Jewellers. He was not as competitively priced, as he was selling Umicore 100g bars of silver. He talked about his margins, and I said what a shame it was I couldn't buy second-hand stuff, because of the VAT only being levied on his profit margin, rather than on the full value.

He thus presented me with a 10oz Johnson Matthey bar for which I paid £174. Beat that!

He said it was worth getting in touch if I wanted to buy more, so I will. I'm sharing this news with you guys as my needs are modest.

I would be interested in one or some. What are you suggesting? Thanks for the tip.

I am again about to order a qty of 1oz SHTF (or indeed my bairn's inheritance) coins and I find myself wondering whether in a SHTF situation one sovereignty's coins would fare better than another's? For eg, I've been buying phillies as they are the cheapest but would maples, libertads or eagles be more 'tradable' than that of a somewhat xenophobic nation's coinage?

That's why I have a mix of Philharmonikers, Maples and Eagles.

I always order (albeit infrequently) from CID and get delivered to mainland Europe where I pick up at a later date.

I wouldn't worry about the design on the face of your 1oz silver coins. If you get a shtf scenario 'design fashion' won't apply. Buy the cheapest. If you fancy getting something numismatic build a small collection of non bullion coins.

I would be interested in one or some. What are you suggesting? Thanks for the tip.

I'm merely passing on a tip - get in touch with them if you're interested. I guess there'd be P&P charges if you don't want to go to the shop in Birmingham. The point is he doesn't bother advertising them because he thinks there's no market, so you need to ask.

Do you have to declare ths and pay duty when you bring it back to the uk?

Do you have to declare ths and pay duty when you bring it back to the uk?

Hi Learner

As far as I am aware goods brought in from within the EU which already have the VAT paid are exempt from additional payment.

Whether this is an accurate assumption or not, quite frankly I don't care.......

.........got to go, that's a knock at the door :huh: