SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When do we get position limits??

3:25 "Limits WILL be imposed"

The CFTC have 180 days from the date the bill was signed to decide on the level of position limits and implement them.

180 days from 15/07/10 is 11/01/11, maybe why JS is so sure of his $1650 by 14/01/11.

I do hope silver holds the 17.50 level. If is doesn't there may or may not be a large drop.

Certainly if gold falls below 1100 as Bubb suggests, silver will drop substantially.

However, since I do not claim to know the future, my strategy is to gradually buy back the silver I sold

at moderately lower levels. Every 40c drop another 500 ounches. Last purchase on 17.45 level and have already

bought most of it back (another 1500 ounches to go). The reason I started buying back 'early' is the COT report for gold/silver, indicating commercials were covering their gold shorts at tremendous pace even with gold at 1190 level. I recently came across an article stating that technicals are more important than the COT report, but again I am no expert.

I just feel that with the increased central bank interest in gold and the large number of contracts still to be covered ,

the drop in gold may not be as large as expected.

• 2 weeks later...
Check these babies out.

£78 looks like a bargain for that. For anyone who missed that auction, the London Coin Company has a set

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1977-ROYAL-MINT-SILV...2#ht_4380wt_934

They obviously don't compete on price!

I've got more than 10% below spot including delivery within the last few months (for pre-47 British coins) but the last few days it seems everything is going for above spot (even excluding postage) and there's not as much on offer as there used to be. They mentioned on FSN that the premium for silver coins has been rising. Has anyone else noticed this?

As an example, check out this feedback page.

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...eedbackAsSeller

6 times since May they sold £5 face value of "mostly better than scrap" with £3 postage and they usually had each coin in a plastic envelope. On 20th June, with silver at about £12.96 (going by charts at Bullionvault) someone paid £102.87 for delivery of about £114.30 of silver (I'm allowing for a little wear on the coins). Their current auction stands at £105 for about £102.30 of silver (and no plastic envelopes this time!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pre-1947-silver-coin...British_RL#shId

£78 looks like a bargain for that. For anyone who missed that auction, the London Coin Company has a set

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1977-ROYAL-MINT-SILV...2#ht_4380wt_934

They obviously don't compete on price!

I've got more than 10% below spot including delivery within the last few months (for pre-47 British coins) but the last few days it seems everything is going for above spot (even excluding postage) and there's not as much on offer as there used to be. They mentioned on FSN that the premium for silver coins has been rising. Has anyone else noticed this?

As an example, check out this feedback page.

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...eedbackAsSeller

6 times since May they sold £5 face value of "mostly better than scrap" with £3 postage and they usually had each coin in a plastic envelope. On 20th June, with silver at about £12.96 (going by charts at Bullionvault) someone paid £102.87 for delivery of about £114.30 of silver (I'm allowing for a little wear on the coins). Their current auction stands at £105 for about £102.30 of silver (and no plastic envelopes this time!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pre-1947-silver-coin...British_RL#shId

The sellers are definately drying up which may be a fair representation of the big markets. I think that prices will have to move alot higher to bring the next round of sellers out. I bid on all pre 1920 british coins just over spot including postage and a bit more if spot is low, else you dont win anything! I've not bothered with pre 1947 yet as I dont like the look of the tarnish on them. I rarely get crowns as they always sell way above spot. The larger the quantity, the closer they sell to spot, so when I sell, I will sell in small lots. I also buy silver proof crowns and occasionally £2 proofs but only up to about £13.00 and even thats too high. I dont bother with bullion coins or bars anymore as they are too expensive.

goldsilver-1.gif

save.gif

yen-3.gif

Looking at the above, the one to trade on a spike would be gold/ pound. The pound depreciates against gold; sell for pounds. When the pound bounces back and appreciates buy back gold. O'Brien should have sold for a major currency rather than a reserve currency. A reserve currency is best to hold in reserve in case we get the big dip.

I went out metal detecting with my son and he found a very nice silver sixpence. We found lots of old pennys, 1/2 pennys and old coins, as well as modern ones, about 70 in total. not bad for a days detecting?

nice one! - silver AND copper on the first try...

now, just some gold....

ps - my back is a lot better. Now returned to pushing back the frontiers of human knowledge!

Very interesting research from Hinde Capital here.

http://tinyurl.com/22roz7m

Primarily concerning silver (bullish) and suppression. Also, exchange traded commodities are cheap relative to other industrial commodities, EM reserve growth bullish for EM stockmarkets (supported by possible silver rise). They've got some interesting ratios I've not seen before.

nice one! - silver AND copper on the first try...

now, just some gold....

ps - my back is a lot better. Now returned to pushing back the frontiers of human knowledge!

Its amazing how modern coins rust, old 1900 pennys and 1/2 pennys are this lovely green colour and the .925 1909 edwardian sixpence came out clean and bright. A great lesson for the children on the difference of real money and fake. Im rather addicted to metal detecting now!

Its amazing how modern coins rust, old 1900 pennys and 1/2 pennys are this lovely green colour and the .925 1909 edwardian sixpence came out clean and bright. A great lesson for the children on the difference of real money and fake. Im rather addicted to metal detecting now!

where were you searching? just a random field or beach?

where were you searching? just a random field or beach?

Just down the park. Im going to have to ask some farmers to search their land. I know of a few so hopefully they will say yes.

The council park inspecter came and asked me if had got permission to do it. I said no and he said "it is private property and I should ask the owner, the council". I said I thought that the park was a public recreational area and that the park belonged to the people and that the council belongs to the people. I pay over £2000 a year in council tax FFS! Its even called "the peoples park" He was alright in the end and said he dident mind me doing it as I was not causing any damage from what he could see. So I rang up and asked permission when I got home and the parks manager said no, as it might open the floodgates for others to do it. The usual BS if every one did that....Thats why its not worth asking permission as the answer is always no as they cant go wrong with that answer.

Some oldish woman said to me today, "excuse me, this is a public park. Do you think you ought to be doing that?" I said "I am the public" She said "if every one did that the park would be a right mess" I said "Everyone isn't doing it so whats your problem?". This country has really gone facist. Im doing no more harm than a footballer with studs on his boots. I told her to get a life and go away. Really pi$$es me off.

To be fair, a number of people came up to me and asked if I had found anything and were really interested in what I had found, which restores my faith in humanity a bit!

All the same, I found loads of coins, over a hundred now, a silver ring, a silver picture frame about 7 grams, and about £20 in modern money, lots of very old pennies and 1/2 pennies and best of all so far, two silver shillings and a sixpence. Its been good practise and Im really familliar with the dector now and can narrow down the item to about 3 inch location, and I have this probe that locates the coin in the small hole. I can find a coin in about 1 min. After a few months (if the wife does not divorce me) I will make a utube video of all my finds and post a link. Perhaps I will try to film any confrontations I have as that will add to the entertainment value and wind up the buggers even more! :)

You're inspiring me to unpack mine again. What setting(s) did you have it on?

Just down the park. Im going to have to ask some farmers to search their land. I know of a few so hopefully they will say yes.

The council park inspecter came and asked me if had got permission to do it. I said no and he said "it is private property and I should ask the owner, the council". I said I thought that the park was a public recreational area and that the park belonged to the people and that the council belongs to the people. I pay over £2000 a year in council tax FFS! Its even called "the peoples park" He was alright in the end and said he dident mind me doing it as I was not causing any damage from what he could see. So I rang up and asked permission when I got home and the parks manager said no, as it might open the floodgates for others to do it. The usual BS if every one did that....Thats why its not worth asking permission as the answer is always no as they cant go wrong with that answer.

Some oldish woman said to me today, "excuse me, this is a public park. Do you think you ought to be doing that?" I said "I am the public" She said "if every one did that the park would be a right mess" I said "Everyone isn't doing it so whats your problem?". This country has really gone facist. Im doing no more harm than a footballer with studs on his boots. I told her to get a life and go away. Really pi$es me off.

To be fair, a number of people came up to me and asked if I had found anything and were really interested in what I had found, which restores my faith in humanity a bit!

All the same, I found loads of coins, over a hundred now, a silver ring, a silver picture frame about 7 grams, and about £20 in modern money, lots of very old pennies and 1/2 pennies and best of all so far, two silver shillings and a sixpence. Its been good practise and Im really familliar with the dector now and can narrow down the item to about 3 inch location, and I have this probe that locates the coin in the small hole. I can find a coin in about 1 min. After a few months (if the wife does not divorce me) I will make a utube video of all my finds and post a link. Perhaps I will try to film any confrontations I have as that will add to the entertainment value and wind up the buggers even more! :)

Some oldish woman said to me today, "excuse me, this is a public park. Do you think you ought to be doing that?" I said "I am the public" She said "if every one did that the park would be a right mess" I said "Everyone isn't doing it so whats your problem?". This country has really gone facist. Im doing no more harm than a footballer with studs on his boots. I told her to get a life and go away. Really pi$$es me off.

If I see a dude with a metal detector in Exeter area, I know it will be you.

Very interesting research from Hinde Capital here.

http://tinyurl.com/22roz7m

Primarily concerning silver (bullish) and suppression. Also, exchange traded commodities are cheap relative to other industrial commodities, EM reserve growth bullish for EM stockmarkets (supported by possible silver rise). They've got some interesting ratios I've not seen before.

Thanks for that nicejim. I always enjoy Hinde's articles. Silver is still remarkably cheap for what it is. It is perhaps more beautiful than gold (does that count for anything?) and will come into its own with a usefulness clear and distinct from gold. The tax in the UK is a bit of a bugger though. I see it as a penalty for ridding oneself of fiat. 15 quid well spent and affordable to many, unlike gold. This alone spells potential if awareness picks up.

My first silver was a big fat Australian 1kg coin. It was a sight. Think it cost 245 pounds. When I bought that the seller said 'its not really a good investment, of course'. Of course! What are they now? 500+ odd? I do prefer the simple 1 oz coins though and old US 'junk'. They jingle and jangle in your pocket and remind me of an old Tom Waits track, which is always nice.