SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently I have bought several items on ebay which came with the original receipts dated 1978. The coins sold for much the same figures in 1978 as they cost me on ebay.

My parents house cost £11,000 in 1978 and today they would be asking more than £220,000 which is 20 x more.

I think silver has a long way to go yet. Based on the comparison above, a £15 ounce coin would be £300, a £500 kilo bar would be £10,000.

Ouch!

I think silver has a long way to go yet. Based on the comparison above, a £15 ounce coin would be £300, a £500 kilo bar would be £10,000.

Sounds about right, assuming money supply and/or CB balance sheets won't explode any further from here (which they will, of course).

Recently I have bought several items on ebay which came with the original receipts dated 1978. The coins sold for much the same figures in 1978 as they cost me on ebay.

My parents house cost £11,000 in 1978 and today they would be asking more than £220,000 which is 20 x more.

Ouch!

I have to admit I'd be pretty depressed if I was that seller. Of course depending how much they bought back in 1978. I mean if they had 11K they could now be sitting on your 220k parents house. It is easy to see how, in this case, silver has been trashed by property.

What would 11k buy you today in silver? Not even 1000 ounces. Equally though it wouldn't buy you much of a deposit, let alone a house. What is 11k if adjusted for inflation?

Silver SHOULD be GBP 300/oz and gold SHOULD be GBP 4,000 odd. Is what we have now not simply real deflation?

Ouch!

I look at the:

Lack of productive capacity

Natural resources in relation to the population

Demographics and massive debt

- and conclude that UK property (and currency) is massively overvalued internationally. The supernova of GBP purchasing power - fueled by debt is now fading fast.

1000 oz of silver to buy a house in a third world country (UK) in a few years does not seem too much of a stretch of the imagination.

Well I would be extremely happy about that. But lets look a bit closer.

Average house= say 100,000@1000 oz= 100quid/oz.

Average house= say 168,000@1000 oz= 168quid/oz.

Azazel parents house=220,000@1000oz=220quid/oz.

Today average house=13,543oz!!

Today silver/oz =12.46.

I'm bullish on silver long term. And I suppose the max was 48,607oz back in about 2002 (?) so anything is possible. I hope.

In fact I would recommend 1000 oz of silver to anyone just for the fun of it. What will it set you back, depending on how you buy it, 12-17k? Its a lot easier than swooping down on 100 oz of gold @ about 80-90k.

Well I would be extremely happy about that. But lets look a bit closer.

Average house= say 100,000@1000 oz= 100quid/oz.

Average house= say 168,000@1000 oz= 168quid/oz.

Azazel parents house=220,000@1000oz=220quid/oz.

Today average house=13,543oz!!

Today silver/oz =12.46.

I'm bullish on silver long term. And I suppose the max was 48,607oz back in about 2002 (?) so anything is possible. I hope.

In fact I would recommend 1000 oz of silver to anyone just for the fun of it. What will it set you back, depending on how you buy it, 12-17k? Its a lot easier than swooping down on 100 oz of gold @ about 80-90k.

Which one would happen 1st the 100 gold or 1000 silver ?

I think these are fantastic value.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...%3D1&_rdc=1

A historical coin made by the royal mint as a proof coin to a high standard, come boxed, in a capsule, including postage, all for less than spot on this occasion....

Why are they so cheap?

Unless there was also a proof in cupro-nickel, this is a steal...

1977 proof jubilee crown, £6.99 and free delivery. 9 available.

The first edit in the listing is from 2006, maybe the price never got updated. I'm too cautious to go for it.

Edit:

Yes, there was a cupro-nickel proof:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1977-PROOF-CROWN-QUE...b#ht_2569wt_754

"THIS 1977 CROWN HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM A ROYAL MINT PROOF SET AND IS IN GREAT PROOF CONDITION. SUPPLIED IN A NEW CAPSULE. THIS COIN IS THE CUPRO-NICKEL VERSION."

So you need to check whether Silver relates to the Jubilee or the fabric of the coin. The price could reflect people's unwillingness to check so many listing details to find the occasional treasure.

Which one would happen 1st the 100 gold or 1000 silver ?

What do you mean by "happen"? If you mean 100gold or1000 silver buying you the average house and presuming you were starting from zero today, then I would go for silver first. You "may" be able to turn 12-17k into whatever it takes to buy an average house. It's a lot less risk than forking out 80-90k on gold right now.

Am I missing something?

Unless there was also a proof in cupro-nickel, this is a steal...

1977 proof jubilee crown, £6.99 and free delivery. 9 available.

The first edit in the listing is from 2006, maybe the price never got updated. I'm too cautious to go for it.

Edit:

Yes, there was a cupro-nickel proof:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1977-PROOF-CROWN-QUE...b#ht_2569wt_754

"THIS 1977 CROWN HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM A ROYAL MINT PROOF SET AND IS IN GREAT PROOF CONDITION. SUPPLIED IN A NEW CAPSULE. THIS COIN IS THE CUPRO-NICKEL VERSION."

So you need to check whether Silver relates to the Jubilee or the fabric of the coin. The price could reflect people's unwillingness to check so many listing details to find the occasional treasure.

You have to watch out for that. The item in your link looks more like the CuNi version. Some people list these coins very misleadingly. Typically they call them "prooflike" and as they are a silver jubilee coin that doesnt nessarsarily mean they are silver. Best to ask the seller if there is any doubt before youu buy. A great test to check if a coin is silver or cupro-nickel is to lay a sheet of loo paper or tissue over it. The silver coin strangely gleams through the tissue and whereas the cupro-nickel one cant be seen.