SILVER

+1, personally I'm buying as much as I can.

The fundamentals are excellent, some say the best of any metal in living memory.

The instability must mean there will be times to exit in the not too far distant future with great profit.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fundamentals are excellent, some say the best of any metal in living memory.

The instability must mean there will be times to exit in the not too far distant future with great profit.

What concerns me about silver is that the instability may trump the rational fundamentals. When deleveraging takes over, investor behaviour can be very "irrational".... fundamentals go out the window. Silver was always more speculative than gold. In this environment, it has to be doubly so.

Through GoldMoney?

Maybe Jersey has different rules regarding retail bullion as well?

GF,

Thanks. I meant little bits of silver you could hold in your hand. Jersey is a possibility. I wonder how much you can import legally if you were to go there and buy, say, UK silver coins?

What about the USA or Canada?

W

You could buy through Sarnia Silver. They send coins individually, from Guernsey, if it is under £18 inclusive of postage and effectively VAT free. However, the stocks are running low when I last checked.

Here's Don Harold's response

...to the Dead- heads who mocked him for selling a portion of his Silver at $20.50

Reply to Alexiscom1 and Others About Silver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlfNJvJSIoM

Well, "Don got lucky again." And I know how he feels.

He says:

"What some do not understand, is that price can get manipulated UP and DOWN !"

Here's Don Harold's response

...to the Dead- heads who mocked him for selling a portion of his Silver at $20.50

Reply to Alexiscom1 and Others About Silver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlfNJvJSIoM

Well, "Don got lucky again." And I know how he feels.

He says:

"What some do not understand, is that price can get manipulated UP and DOWN !"

The problem I found with trying to trade a smaller percentage of silver around a core position in silver was that it seemed to involve being both bullish and bearish on silver at the same time... and though you can distinguish between long term and short term in your mind, it still becomes muddied with your core view on silver overshadowing your trading decisions on a part of that silver.

To remedy this, I decided to only buy and hold gold, while only trading silver. That way the two approaches are completely demarcated between the metals. I also think the fundamentals might lend themselves to this as the price of gold has shown itself to be a lot "stickier" [but more fundamentally, it suits my own psychology]. This approach also allows me to be not so bullish towards silver and accordingly bullish on dollar.... as a hedge for being so bullish on gold.

I'm more comfortable sitting on the sidelines in regard to silver, given that my core postion in gold picks up gains in bullion prices.

GF,

Thanks. I meant little bits of silver you could hold in your hand. Jersey is a possibility. I wonder how much you can import legally if you were to go there and buy, say, UK silver coins?

What about the USA or Canada?

W

You can import as much as you like Wanderer but you may have to pay import duties if it is from outside the Eurozone and those roughly equate to the cost of paying for the VAT in the UK plus you still have to deal with shipping costs etc. The only advantage is in personal importation by beating the VAT difference by going to Germany for example, buying silver there and bringing it back.

You can import as much as you like Wanderer but you may have to pay import duties if it is from outside the Eurozone and those roughly equate to the cost of paying for the VAT in the UK plus you still have to deal with shipping costs etc. The only advantage is in personal importation by beating the VAT difference by going to Germany for example, buying silver there and bringing it back.

Yes, that's what I'm wondering about. Could I, for instance, go to (lets say) Canada, buy British Silver Coins VAT free and come back with them through customs legally, thus saving the VAT? Not worth a special trip, but if you travel a lot with work it is worth taking the effort to do this if you were going to buy silver anyway. Only if it were legal of course.

To remedy this, I decided to only buy and hold gold, while only trading silver. That way the two approaches are completely demarcated between the metals. I also think the fundamentals might lend themselves to this as the price of gold has shown itself to be a lot "stickier"

I'm more comfortable sitting on the sidelines in regard to silver, given that my core postion in gold picks up gains in bullion prices.

I'm with you on this RH and came to the same conclusion independantly. What I would add is the seasonal benefits of each - I have a theory that silver is best for any takeoff at the September(ish) seasonal gain in bullion prices as it provides greater % gains, Gold is best 'defensively' during the summer doldrums we are now approaching for its stickinesss when gains need defending.

I'm with you on this RH and came to the same conclusion independantly. What I would add is the seasonal benefits of each - I have a theory that silver is best for any takeoff at the September(ish) seasonal gain in bullion prices as it provides greater % gains, Gold is best 'defensively' during the summer doldrums we are now approaching for its stickinesss when gains need defending.

Yep, I'd much rather be sitting in gold than silver when the holocaust strikes... but will still look to buy silver with my dollar holding once it does. Maybe this thread should be re-titled, "Watch out for silver". :lol:

http://news.goldseek.com/CliveMaund/1275325200.php

6.gif

Yep, I'd much rather be sitting in gold than silver when the holocaust strikes... but will still look to buy silver with my dollar holding once it does. Maybe this thread should be re-titled, "Watch out for silver". :lol:

silver has to reach price levels where it is economical to recycle.

It is currently NOWHERE near that price.

Buy and Hold.

silver has to reach price levels where it is economical to recycle.

It is currently NOWHERE near that price.

Buy and Hold.

I agree that silver could be a very good buy and hold. Different strokes for different folks. Silver bugs, who have most of their bullion in silver, no doubt will weather a storm pretty well if it comes because they will focus on those fundamentals.

For myself, I just see gold as safer/ less volatile. I still have some silver kilo bars back home.

6.gif

i respect clive's work, but i think there is also an argument to be made for a 2-year cup and handle vs. a double top

weeklydollarag.gif

i respect clive's work, but i think there is also an argument to be made for a 2-year cup and handle vs. a double top

In the current markets, all longterm TA in the precious metals reminds me of reading tea leaves. Even astrology might produce better results.

The fundamental strength of these markets is clear, and deterioration in the financial markets and central bank responses to it make these markets grow stronger by the day.

The fundamental strength of these markets is clear, and deterioration in the financial markets and central bank responses to it make these markets grow stronger by the day.

Maybe so... but the market is not always rational. If the market deteriorates badly enough, we could see a rout taking everything down. This is where gold should be demarcated from silver... gold should hold up a lot better. The two should behave differently.... and that's without tea-leaves. :)

Check out the late reversal in silver that was not reflected in gold. Is this little hiccup signalling a decoupling of silver from gold where gold becomes bought solely for safety? It's an interesting stage of the game here... and no doubt the relative behaviour of gold, dollar and silver will change as events develop. I'm targeting the $15 dollar area.

dec.gif

How low can silver go?

Past COT reports suggest big commercial short covering when silver goes to the low-middle 17's.

Silver is at the 200DMA right now and seems to be a better buy (in the long term) than gold.

Yesterday I started buying back some of the silver I recently sold. I will continue doing so

during this price correction.

Romans Holiday. Note that silver priced in Euros is still at very high level and there is increased interest

by German buyers. This may NOT be a repeat of October 2008.