SILVER

On the other hand, if they're legal tender, you generally don't really own the metal - the government owns it, and you are not allowed to melt them down. In other words, the government still has a say in it.

If you are that concerned about breaking the law then take your countries coins to another country and swap them, bring back the foreign coins and melt them. If you are not worried about breaking the law then just melt them.

The reality is that if the coin contains precious metal then the government does not own it, you do, that's one of the reasons that they wanted them out of circulation. If the government collapses then you still have precious metal unlike the remaining steel coins which would be currently valued at about £200 per tonne.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't used them (yet) and they're presently out of stock of buffalos, but Sarnia Silver in in the Channel Islands will send you one of these for £14.50 including delivery to the UK. Not a bad deal when you'd be hard pressed to get a silver britannia from ebay for less than £20 delivered. They do lots of other coins and bars too.

The main disadvantage compared to the silver britannia is that the buffalo potentially has CGT payable upon sale (assuming you've used up your annual CGT limit, etc). All foreign silver coins have this disadvantage, of course.

There was a thread that mentioned Sarnia on here recently. Apparently the way they work is by sailing under the £18 VAT threshold per item coming from the Channel Islands. This means that if you order 10 coins, you'll get 10 envelopes.

As long as they can profitably send an ounce of silver plus postage for less than £18, they'll have a great business. Depending on who you believe, you may need to hurry ;)

cheers

sjiff

Weighton Coin have an offer on 20 x Britannias 2010 at the moment. £360 inc. VAT.

http://www.weightoncoin.co.uk/coins/index....roducts_id=1757

VB

That's a good deal. With postage at £7.20, you effectively pay £18.36 per Britannia.

I'm thinking about sending myself some from coininvestdirect.com when I'm in France early next year. French VAT on silver coins is only 7%, which makes a decent difference if you're ordering a few.

Doing it this way the current price for 2008 brits is £16.77. Delivery is a bit more expensive but if you're ordering more than about 5 coins, the total is lower.

cheers

sjiff

They were in stock yesterday, I think. Must have just run out.

The other interesting thing is that Australian kilogram coins still only incur 7% VAT in France (and probably other EU countries too). That makes them cheaper than kilo bars if you can get them delivered to you while you're on holidays, say. Current brutto price is £426.93 for a 2009 kookaburra.

sjiff

The other interesting thing is that Australian kilogram coins still only incur 7% VAT in France (and probably other EU countries too). That makes them cheaper than kilo bars if you can get them delivered to you while you're on holidays, say.

Or, say, you have someone in Europe you can send them to.

A bit off topic, mods please move if required. This video shows how Stanford Researchers are using Nano silver and paper to make batteries

Dip an ordinary piece of paper into ink infused with carbon nanotubes and silver nanowires, and it turns into a battery or supercapacitor. Crumple the piece of paper, and it still works. Stanford researcher Yi Cui sees many uses for this new way of storing electricity.

Safety of Nano silver???

Tiny particles of silver designed to kill germs are being put into socks to control odor. But as this ScienCentral News video explains, what happens to that nanosilver later is concerning some scientists.

Does anyone want to buy some silver? My mate has eagles, maples, mexican libertads, (all new from CID in tubes) a few kilo argor bars (nicest bars imo), an old 20 ounce coin and other bits and bobs if I remember correctly. He has 300 ounces total. I would buy it all but Im busy with a building project at the moment so spending more than im saving.

Is the cheapest way to invest in silver not by buying 90% silver bags?

I am under the impression that they are vat free

as opposed to coins and bars

I think 90% AG bags are an American concept. I've never seen those bags in the UK (not that I've looked, to be honest).

There is, however, a decent turnover of bulk 50% Ag 1920-1946 British coins on ebay. You can often get them at a reasonable discount (even with postage) to the spot price of the silver they contain if you're patient.

The main issues are:

- CGT still applies

- If you buy and ultimately sell via ebay, the spread is quite wide.

There was a discussion about this two or three months ago, maybe over at HPC in the precious metals forum.

sjiff

I think 90% AG bags are an American concept. I've never seen those bags in the UK (not that I've looked, to be honest).

There is, however, a decent turnover of bulk 50% Ag 1920-1946 British coins on ebay. You can often get them at a reasonable discount (even with postage) to the spot price of the silver they contain if you're patient.

The main issues are:

- CGT still applies

- If you buy and ultimately sell via ebay, the spread is quite wide.

There was a discussion about this two or three months ago, maybe over at HPC in the precious metals forum.

sjiff

thanks for that ,I wasnt aware of the cgt issue

have just been on coininvest to check prices and am appalled that

every single country charges 7% vat except the UK which charges 17.5%

for a 1oz Philarmonic the difference is £14.04 as against £15.42

Fortunately I dont live in the UK , but for those who do its just another ripoff

for anyone buying 100 coins its £138 extra

Silver looks due a large breakout to me, I think us patient silver holders are going to be rewarded very soon.

Maybe as high as $30 based on the three previous spikes which have occurred around every two years.

Silver_USD_LOG.jpg

Silver looks due a large breakout to me, I think us patient silver holders are going to be rewarded very soon.

Maybe as high as $30 based on the three previous spikes which have occurred around every two years.

We seem to be on track:

http://gold.approximity.com/gold-silver_watch.html

Gold-Silver-Ratio_GUESS.png

Gold-Silver-Ratio_GUESS.png

Gold-Silver_Scatter_LOG_GUESS.png

Silver looks due a large breakout to me,

It seems only days ago that the talk was all (well nearly all) about a big dip.

Have the conditions for that now vanished?? :blink:

It seems only days ago that the talk was all (well nearly all) about a big dip.

Have the conditions for that now vanished?? :blink:

And be careful of the error of "presentism". :)

I expect a big dip in silver sometime soon. I also thought silver could rise a bit in the interim, so recently bought [treating this as a trade]. I'll look to sell this on a possible spike and then rebuy on the dip.

goldsilverlong.gif