SILVER

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So where do you guys buy your silver from? Bullion/Coins, and what coins?

I'm thinking of swapping some stocks for gold/silver.

I've been looking around, coininvestdirect seems like it's the best price even with VAT.. companies like sarnia silver offer vat free coins but the price is hiked up to negate that.

So where do you guys buy your silver from? Bullion/Coins, and what coins?

I'm thinking of swapping some stocks for gold/silver.

I've been looking around, coininvestdirect seems like it's the best price even with VAT.. companies like sarnia silver offer vat free coins but the price is hiked up to negate that.

they were great for me, I got the recommendation from GEI posters asking a similar question like yours.....

ensure you qualify exactly what you want via email.......do you want your bars stamped/serial numbers on them etc......

Surely, it has to come down to what your percentages are. If you are sitting on mostly silver, then it makes sense to swap some of that for gold. I think even the most fervent silver bulls have something like near half their bullion in gold.... not sure about goldfinger though. :lol:

65% Silver 35% Gold ;)

they were great for me, I got the recommendation from GEI posters asking a similar question like yours.....

ensure you qualify exactly what you want via email.......do you want your bars stamped/serial numbers on them etc......

So people just bend over and pay the tax?

Seems a bit odd, to need 17.5% increase in value before you even break even.

Also - what's with ebay prices? They seem all over the place but people still bid?

How are people's experiences with storage?

I've been quoted ~£3-4 a year per ounce for insurance on gold stored in my house, presumably the cost would be acceptable for silver too. Worth investing in a small vault for my house?

Also - what's with ebay prices? They seem all over the place but people still bid?

I've been quoted ~£3-4 a year per ounce for insurance on gold stored in my house, presumably the cost would be acceptable for silver too. Worth investing in a small vault for my house?

You wanna tell an insurance company you have some at home?? :D

GL.

Channel Islands silver purchases below £18 are vat free. - Sarnia Silver and others do it.

If you think that silver is massively under- valued, the VAT issue would not put you off.

Gold IS insurance. The idea of betting that it will be stolen with an 'insurance' company (and letting people at that company know that you have it) is one of the most foolish things I have read on this site for some time.

There is no chapter on VAT worries in my silver book. ;)

http://gold.approximity.com/since1999/Silver_GBP.html

Silver_GBP.png

That's a 401% return from Min to Max. Not that anyone could time this perfectly, but the silver bull is only getting started. $100 minimum, as James Dines likes to say.

Worth investing in a small vault for my house?

No! Is that not backwards?

17.5% is the premium you pay to expunge your fake sterling for real sterling.

My feeling is mixed. If the tax is so high to buy silver they must be trying to convince you it is a bad deal. Therefore buy. Plus I don't mind paying a little tax to help mother england.

Still it is cheaper on the Continent. ;) And tax free if you don't mind a hundred packages bunging up your letter box.

I am quite fond of the noise all the Sarnia / CI silver packages make as the front door brushes them across the hallway floor, quite a nice way to be welcomed home after a day at work.

No! Is that not backwards?

17.5% is the premium you pay to expunge your fake sterling for real sterling.

My feeling is mixed. If the tax is so high to buy silver they must be trying to convince you it is a bad deal. Therefore buy. Plus I don't mind paying a little tax to help mother england.

Still it is cheaper on the Continent. ;) And tax free if you don't mind a hundred packages bunging up your letter box.

here's a little experiment if anyone can be 'rsed:

Login to ebay and find the price of the last 5 x bullion uk seller silver eagles using the completed listings feature.

Take the avg. cost and compare with cid's uk price with the vat

Also lest not forget pre 1920 / 1947 bundles for a way to say non to the taxman

Crazy prices I have seen similar and more for the older Australian and lunar coins upto £40 an ounce! On a brighter note I picked up 5.96 oz silver in pre 1947 coins for £11.90 an ounce.

You wanna tell an insurance company you have some at home?? :D

GL.

Indeed. Why tell a complete stranger what you have a where you have it, what sort of security locks you have, even where its stored in the house!

Also, I dont get why some people get all worked up about the VAT on silver.

Pre 1947 silver sells at about spot including postage on feebay

pre 1920 silver sells just over spot including postage on feebay

Bullion coins sell on ebay for much the same price as bullion dealers sell them for (CID, ATS, Sarnia)

So what difference does it make, unless you plan to sell back to a dealer?

Theres a 2.5 % increase in bullion prices when VAT goes up.

What do you guys think? Silver is less than half its all time highs of 1980. Do you think it will slowly climb up with gold at a slightly higher rate as the ratio improves in silvers favour or will it spike up and establish a new level? Gold is on a record high of $1282 at this moment and silver is on a 2 1/2 year high of $21, but to be comparable, it needs to be about $60 to be as impressive as gold right now.

What do you guys think? Silver is less than half its all time highs of 1980. Do you think it will slowly climb up with gold at a slightly higher rate as the ratio improves in silvers favour or will it spike up and establish a new level? Gold is on a record high of $1282 at this moment and silver is on a 2 1/2 year high of $21, but to be comparable, it needs to be about $60 to be as impressive as gold right now.

I think all agree that silver is more speculative than gold. I think near all first have a core position in gold, and then a position in silver [not sure about gf though :lol: ].

The particular weighting you chose, would then just come down to individual preferences.... I'm more overweight gold because I lean more to the "deflationary" risk averse side of things.

I think all agree that silver is more speculative than gold. I think near all first have a core position in gold, and then a position in silver [not sure about gf though :lol: ].

The particular weighting you chose, would then just come down to individual preferences.... I'm more overweight gold because I lean more to the "deflationary" risk averse side of things.

I have a core position in physical silver, 60%ish & 40% physical gold.

agreed that silver is more speculative than gold RH, historically speaking.....but who knows going forward ??

Crazy prices I have seen similar and more for the older Australian and lunar coins upto £40 an ounce! On a brighter note I picked up 5.96 oz silver in pre 1947 coins for £11.90 an ounce.

yep - i agree with what you're saying but interestingly the older lunars have become very collectable, esp. the 2000 dragon which rarely sells under £50. Also the silver - gold embossed lunars are quite collectable.

I regularly trawl through the scrap silver jewellery / antique mixed lots now to hunt for bargains, it's getting harder though!

I used to be able to pick up pre 1955 silver Mexican pesos for next to nothing on ebay a couple of years ago, now they appear to be selling for not bargain prices. There has definately been an increase in awareness albeit a tiny increase in the grand scheme of things.

yep - i agree with what you're saying but interestingly the older lunars have become very collectable, esp. the 2000 dragon which rarely sells under £50. Also the silver - gold embossed lunars are quite collectable.

I regularly trawl through the scrap silver jewellery / antique mixed lots now to hunt for bargains, it's getting harder though!

I am quite fond of the noise all the Sarnia / CI silver packages make as the front door brushes them across the hallway floor, quite a nice way to be welcomed home after a day at work.

Felt the same until a nosey postman asked me what was in all the packages :o Told him computer chips, but decided enough is enough from that supply route.

Incidentally don't know whether others have had this experience but one dealer rang on the latest spike to try and say the price had gone up in 24 hours despite me fixing the purchase price and having it confirmed in an email. Will not name and shame, but poor show on their part.