2. 2. If you gamble, what is your main activity

• Betting on Sporting Events
    • Poker
    • Other games of chance: blackjack, roulette, etc
    • Financially Oriented Bets: stocks & indices
    • Financially Oriented Bets: Commodities & other
    • Hedging/betting on House Prices
    • Other: or I dont gamble
  3. 3. Would you invest in Online Gaming/Gambling stocks?

• Yes- I do sometimes already
    • Yes- I am open to it, but haven't do so yet
    • No- I am unlikely to do so, not an area I favor
    • No- Gambling is not my cup of tea at all

riggerbeautz said:
Probably because it caused so much pain to some with the online gambling co's :( Remember riding up on PRTY long time back, but wince as the profits disappeared. Tried to trade leaky stories the U.S was about to relent some time back, in the end i just stayed out in the belief it was a bit dicey.

Seem to remember one exec got nailed in the states travelling back to the U.k via America on holiday, that said to me they were serious. Never really looked at the sector since, but just noticing it's back in vogue in the mags.

From memory, it wasn't just the U.S that had issues wasn't there some threat to BWIN in Austria, Turkey was a bit dodgy too?

Maybe worth a look again, or maybe not.

No idea re BWIN. However mining companies in the past have been known to tell fibs, Mark Twain said a mine is a hole in the ground with a liar standing beside it!

The fact that the 888 & Party Pokers have survived their crisis, despite loosing their biggest market in the US might tell us something about the profitability /cash flow of their businesses.

Ironically Gaming VC never went near the US but its shares got hit along with the sector when the US thing kicked off - thats a lesson in not trying to be smarter than the market ! Now its got potentially a similar problem looming with the Germans, although apparently EU law should stop the Germans from acting - hmm? Good job we are not talking about the French they have a strictly one sided interpretation of all things EU

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think that the traditional UK bookies could be a good long term bet if they learn the lessons of the last 12 months. For example, William Hill was encouraged by so called banking and city experts to take on a massive amount of debt to buy the Stanley Leisure bookmakers a few years back, because it was the only way to expand and create value for the company. Of course, when everything hit the fan in the last year their share price collapsed because according to those same city experts, they now had too much debt. The short sellers had a field day considering that it fell from around 675 to below 150 in a year, this at a time when it was still making decent money off the punters. The same is true today, with the exception of a few good spells that the punters have here and there, WH and Ladbrokes continue to make good money and will most likely survive the recession/depression because people will continue to gamble. This is the average man in the street's stock market!

WH just had a rights issue to help put their debt house in order, I doubt whether they will be keen go down that route again in the future.

Thanks, I will maybe have a look again at WH. I remember its rights issue was successful and I guess it would be a long term play. But I also vaguely remember that even after the rights issue it still had a fair amount of debt - although I assume this is now comfortably by cash fow and has new banking facilities in place

No real new news on WH since the rights issue time, other than its exit from a Spanish experiment

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090514-703599.html

Thanks, I will maybe have a look again at WH. I remember its rights issue was successful and I guess it would be a long term play. But I also vaguely remember that even after the rights issue it still had a fair amount of debt - although I assume this is now comfortably by cash fow and has new banking facilities in place

No real new news on WH since the rights issue time, other than its exit from a Spanish experiment

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090514-703599.html

They do have quite a lot of debt, but I expect they will try to run that down from here and they will be reluctant to take on any more. It may take a few years, but this is a recovery play IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Spread betters fall into the general financial field but should they be considered more like online gamblers. SB certainly seems to be a rising trend and one that can benefit from high volatility, city lay offs and rising or declining stock markets. Whether its good value is a different question, despite UBS's view i I dont know, haven't looked at in depth, but its an idea

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...8g&refer=uk

June 9 (Bloomberg) -- IG Group Holdings Plc, owner of the IG Index financial-market betting brand, forecast full-year sales rising 40 percent, helped by the acquisition of its Japanese currency trading unit.

Revenue for the year ended May 31 should advance to 257 million pounds ($415 million), from 184 million pounds a year earlier, the London-based company said today in a Regulatory News Service statement. Sales on a comparable basis increased 18 percent in the fourth quarter, compared with 12 percent in the third. IG Group rose the most since January in London trading.

The drop in third-quarter sales “was largely a result of the impact on clients of extreme market volatility in October, including the resultant credit risk management changes and not a permanent shift in client appetite,” said UBS AG analysts including Isabel Green in an e-mailed note. UBS advises buying the stock.

Adjusted pretax profit was 125 million pounds, IG Group said. While market volatility declined during the fourth quarter, the rally in stock markets from their lows in early March encouraged greater trading in equities, the company said.

IG Group climbed 11 percent to 242 pence. The stock has declined 5.6 percent this year, giving the company a market value of 870.1 million pounds.

Sales at FX Online Japan KK stabilized after a sudden decline in revenue during February, IG Group added.

The charge for bad debts will probably decline to below 3 percent of revenue, from 12 percent, after the company altered its management of credit risk.

The spread betting companies are effectively bookmakers, those are the rules for taxation that they operate under. IG are doing pretty well, you could probably make more out of buying their shares than spread betting with them.

• 4 weeks later...

For my part, most of the speculation I do is through part-time sports betting and trading. Even though I could probably go full-time, I simply don't think that I could deal with the stress of having my entire means coming from gambling! I only ever bet on sports that I can watch live and usually keep it down to tennis, soccer and Gaelic games. My tactic for betting is based on the completely unscientific method of gut-instinct and hunches! I know it sounds ridiculous, but I can often look at an odds market and know instinctively that it's just completely wrong.

My primary tennis tactic is finding a highly talented youngster, following him relentlessly and trading on the in-play volatility. Andy Murray was a goldmine for me in 2007 and 2008. Three times I was able to back him at prices of around 100/1 when he then went on to win his match. Of course, I was wrong more often than not with Andy, but when you're dealing with odds of 100/1, you only have to be right 1 time in 100 and you're set. Juan Martin del Potro was doing a great job for me this year until he came back he came back from 100/1 to defeat Nadal in one tournament (guess who got on that trade :) Now that del Potro has kind of established himself, I'm currently looking for a new up and comer!

Don't get me wrong here though. I'm not just blowing smoke up my own ass and trying to claim that gambling is easy. Even on a highly liquid betting exchange with a small operator cut, over 95% of punters will make losses. The obvious key to winning is to make more money than you lose. However, even if you have some sort of edge that ekks out a profit, you need cast-iron discipline. That means that you work with a bank of X and you commit to a maximum bet of YY% of that. Personally, I restrict my self to betting on one event a day (although if I spot a bet I simply can't resist and I'm in profit for a day, I'll allow myself an extra event of trading). I keep detailed spreadsheets of all my trades and have Excel spreadsheets done up so I can gauge my performance and to adjust tact.

I sometimes read the betfair forums, but it's almost impossible to pick out the few crumbs of wisdom from the rubbish. Would definitely be interested in getting in touch with other sports bettors/traders who know what they're doing.

For my part, most of the speculation I do is through part-time sports betting and trading. Even though I could probably go full-time, I simply don't think that I could deal with the stress of having my entire means coming from gambling! I only ever bet on sports that I can watch live and usually keep it down to tennis, soccer and Gaelic games. My tactic for betting is based on the completely unscientific method of gut-instinct and hunches! I know it sounds ridiculous, but I can often look at an odds market and know instinctively that it's just completely wrong.

My primary tennis tactic is finding a highly talented youngster, following him relentlessly and trading on the in-play volatility. Andy Murray was a goldmine for me in 2007 and 2008. Three times I was able to back him at prices of around 100/1 when he then went on to win his match. Of course, I was wrong more often than not with Andy, but when you're dealing with odds of 100/1, you only have to be right 1 time in 100 and you're set. Juan Martin del Potro was doing a great job for me this year until he came back he came back from 100/1 to defeat Nadal in one tournament (guess who got on that trade :) Now that del Potro has kind of established himself, I'm currently looking for a new up and comer!

Don't get me wrong here though. I'm not just blowing smoke up my own ass and trying to claim that gambling is easy. Even on a highly liquid betting exchange with a small operator cut, over 95% of punters will make losses. The obvious key to winning is to make more money than you lose. However, even if you have some sort of edge that ekks out a profit, you need cast-iron discipline. That means that you work with a bank of X and you commit to a maximum bet of YY% of that. Personally, I restrict my self to betting on one event a day (although if I spot a bet I simply can't resist and I'm in profit for a day, I'll allow myself an extra event of trading). I keep detailed spreadsheets of all my trades and have Excel spreadsheets done up so I can gauge my performance and to adjust tact.

I sometimes read the betfair forums, but it's almost impossible to pick out the few crumbs of wisdom from the rubbish. Would definitely be interested in getting in touch with other sports bettors/traders who know what they're doing.

I'm not into sports betting/trading, but would be interested to follow as there are similarities with trading the markets. Maybe you would consider setting up a thread where you can post your ideas? Not sure how many sports bettors there are around here.

Welcome Ireland and interesting post

I have the occasional flutter on sports betting but nothing serious, mostly restricted to F1 (poor poor record) and Footy (OK ish record).

Am interested to know

- do you restrict yourself to betfair or do you use the traditional bookies also?

- do you follow any tipsters - the metro fella keeps singing his own praises but I havent done any serious work to know if he is profitable or not

- golf always struck me as one market where tipsters can be right

http://search.metro.co.uk/search?q=tipster...mp;x=7&y=13

Maybe we should start a separate thread for interest if nothing else?

Might be interesting to put a thread up, degenerate gamblers might be able to share some ideas :P

As for me, I use betfair/betdaq for 98% of my trades. On the very rare occasion, I'll spot a bet in a bricks and mortar establishment that isn't available online. I never follow tipsters. Although there are a few people on the betfair forum who usually have interesting things to say, I'd sooner follow them than what I read in a newspaper. Golf is definitely a sport where there are punters who are turning over a profit. Having said that, if I turned my hand to it, I wouldn't have the foggiest.

Might be interesting to put a thread up, degenerate gamblers might be able to share some ideas :P

As for me, I use betfair/betdaq for 98% of my trades. On the very rare occasion, I'll spot a bet in a bricks and mortar establishment that isn't available online. I never follow tipsters. Although there are a few people on the betfair forum who usually have interesting things to say, I'd sooner follow them than what I read in a newspaper. Golf is definitely a sport where there are punters who are turning over a profit. Having said that, if I turned my hand to it, I wouldn't have the foggiest.

I will follow with interest and contribute when I can should you decide to start a thread. Hopefully, others will to.

• 2 weeks later...
July 20 (Bloomberg) -- Tom Watson and Tiger Woods not only lost golf’s British Open, they cost gamblers millions of pounds.

Woods was the pre-tournament favorite at 2-1 with U.K. bookmaker William Hill, while Watson, who was 1,000-1 at Ladbrokes at the outset of the event, closed to 7-1 going into the final round at Turnberry in Scotland.

William Hill said it took almost 2 million pounds ($3.2 million) in bets before the Open, 50 percent more than a year ago, and kept most of it after Stewart Cink, a 150-1 shot at the start of the four-day tournament, beat Watson in a playoff yesterday to win his first major title.

Bookmakers said betting support had grown for Watson, who at 59 was seeking to become the oldest winner of a major, after Woods failed to qualify for the final two rounds for only the second time in a major since turning professional.

It’s a “great night,” Hill spokesman Rupert Adams said in an e-mailed statement. “We won over a million on Cink.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=apkZ9Lrgy4qY

Ladbrokes to repay £351m bond and boost share price

Gaming group Ladbrokes is set to confound its critics later this month by repaying a £351m bond which could be a boost to its bombed-out share price.

Doom-mongers had suggested the bookmaker was struggling under its near £1bn debt burden,

It was not helped last month when credit ratings agency Fitch downgraded the company in the wake of a gloomy trading statement in May, since which time the share price has slumped 26pc.

But repaying the bond will be seen as a sign of Ladbrokes' cash-generating strength in a sector hit by a dramatic fall off in consumer spending that has forced private equity owners to write off their stakes in rival Gala Coral.

Ladbrokes, which has a total of 2,700 betting shops in the UK and overseas and takes £14bn in stakes each year, has net debt of £900m, already down by £87m from a December 2008 repayment.

The bonds will be paid on July 17 by drawing down cash from a new £500m bank facility. The bookie also has an additional loan of £350m that must be re-paid in 2011 and £250m bond with a hefty 7.1pc interest charge due in 2012.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...hare-price.html

This is old news, but what with the money made from the open above, the bookies seem to have had a few big wins recently. Wonder if they will surprise on the upside when they next announce results? Shares for WHill and Ladb have seriously underperformed even in the market recovery.

Susan Boyle Defeat Makes Bookmakers Rich

Scottish singer Susan Boyle's unexpected defeat in the finals of "Britain's Got Talent" reality show Saturday has helped U.K. bookmakers make a fortune, British TV channel Sky News reported Sunday. Bookmakers have avoided huge payouts with Boyle's surprise defeat.

"We are in shock and have made a six figure sum in what has been the biggest surprise in reality TV history. Susan was a certainty," Sky News quoted William Hill's spokesman Rupert Adams as saying.

According to William Hill's estimate, a sum of over 3 million British pounds ($4.86 million) was bet on the show in the final hour.

http://www.huliq.com/1/81606/susan-boyle-d...bookmakers-rich

IG Index seem to be doing well.

The financial markets bookmaker IG Group (LSE: IGG) announced its full annual results today for its year ended 31 May 2009, following the update issued a few weeks ago which I reviewed here. I hold shares in the company which makes it of more than passing interest in my case.

The figures are not bad at all. Revenue increased by 40% with a large increase in new customer accounts including the acquisition I mention below, but organic growth even without that rose by a very attractive 25%.

Diluted earnings per share were up 10% to 22.31p on 2008, although the company for some strange reason prefers to emphasise its diluted "adjusted" eps of 24.74p, which is up 22% on the previous year. The difference between the two is that the adjusted figure is based on earnings before amortisation and impairment of intangibles arising on consolidation, and the strange reason is that the directors consider it the most appropriate measure because it "better reflects the business's underlying cash earnings." Accountancy can be useful sometimes.

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing/compa...fwflwlnk0000001

• 2 weeks later...
William Hill set to lead field offshore

In a blow for the Treasury, the move is likely to prompt rivals Ladbrokes and Coral to follow suit, as they attempt to prevent William Hill gaining a competitive advantage from lower tax bills on offer for businesses based in the territory.

Bookmaker William Hill will reveal this week that its online sportsbook business will be moved to Gibraltar, but its telephone operations will remain in the UK.

• 2 months later...

I do wonder if this is an example of insider trading, the attack on the Ladbrokes share price. Look at the coincidences here.

Ladbrokes has become the target of short-sellers, including hedge funds run by BlackRock and Marshall Wace, which took a combined 9% position in the UK betting company following the announcement of its rights issue.

============================

On Friday, six hedge fund managers released statements to the London Stock Market detailing short positions they had taken on the company the day before, when the rights issue was announced.

Hedge fund managers take short positions by borrowing stock from other investors, which they sell in the hope of buying it back at a lower price and pocketing the difference as profit on the return of the shares.

They may also take short positions as a hedge when they buy a stake in a company.

According to data from Bloomberg, none of the hedge funds had held either long or short positions in Ladbrokes before, or for at least 12 months.

Ladbrokes declined to comment.

Ladbrokes' share price had tumbled to 144p per share at the close of play on Friday. It closed lower yesterday, at 141p.

http://www.efinancialnews.com/assetmanagem...tent/1055418967

• 2 weeks later...

UK bookmakers looking to expand into India. Could be big news if they get a license.

Betfair and William Hill target India

Foreign operators bid for licence in Indian state to grab share of $60bn market

Britain's biggest betting companies are bidding for the first online gambling licence in India to gain a slice of the country's $60bn (£37bn) betting market. The high-street bookie William Hill, along with internet players Betfair and Bwin, are bidding for the internet licence in the Himalayan state of Sikkim in early September. A decision is expected in the next two weeks.

Some 13 betting companies, including local Indian operators, are battling it out for at least three licences in Sikkim. Sources said they want their betting services live from April 2010 – in time for the football World Cup in South Africa. The bookie Ladbrokes and the online specialist 888 are also considering bidding for a licence in Sikkim.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business...ia-1810025.html

• 2 months later...

Surprisingly upbeat brokers note on William Hill yesterday. Surprising because this is a sector brokers have been talking down for about two years.

Daniel Stewart expects a strong performance in the fourth quarter from betting firm William Hill (WMH). First, the broker sees "continued and positive retail volumes", with solid over-the-counter wagering and ongoing machine income growth, assisted by the roll-out in the period of new 'Storm' terminals. Second, William Hill is expected to see an increase in margins over a weak third quarter, which had been characterised by negligible soccer draws and a number of favourites winning in horse racing, as soccer results improve thanks to higher numbers of draws and horse margins return to more normalised levels. Finally, the completion of the Playtech integration will improve the online games. The broker forecasts net revenue growth in FY2009 of 4% to 998 million pounds. It expects margins to have remained "robust", though the recent poor weather will have had an impact on sporting events; this will have been offset in part by ongoing growth in machine income. The broker maintained its 'buy' stance with a target price of 235p. William Hill shares climbed by 6.2p to 191p on the note.

UK Analyst Market report

Well, William Hill did report some pretty good numbers today, so maybe this sector is coming back into fashion with the market? Shares are up about 5.5% today while the main market is down. Interesting to see how the bookmakers respond to any tightening in spending this year.

ADVFN Market report.

Charles Scott, chairman of William Hill since 2004, is to stand down as the bookmaker reported healthy trading in the final three months of 2009. Gross win margins for the full year returned to the normal 17-18% range. Group net revenue rose 6% in Q4 and is expected to be up 4% for the full-year. EBIT should be £250m, it says.

ScreenShot048.gif

• 3 years later...

BUMP - in his various later threads No6 has mentioned William Hill - which has proved a very profitable LOW RISK bet for some.

http://data.sharecrazy.com/sharecrazy/share2607share/share.php?&disp=share&sc=1&epic=WMH

Unfortunately I didnt copy No6's homework re WMH but my own bet GVC is making up for certain other mishaps in my portfolio.

• 6 years later...

US company, DHI Group (DHX), an online recruiter - I like the chart, and now have some (modest) exposure

DHX ... update : 1yr: 10d // Key Stats : DHI Group website : presentation :

2fyHdGD.gif

DHX - 3yr

aChPffv.png

DHX Presentation: Cash flow stabilized, Debt coming down

sHcWend.png

Investment Thesis / NYSE: DHX

Market for Online Recruitment Tools is Growing

Tech Market Niche is Attractive and Plays to our IP in Collecting and Mapping Tech Skills

New Management Drives Functional Strength and Focus

Demonstrated Success of Product Innovation with ClearanceJobs

Set for Operating Leverage Expansion and Shareholder Value Creation

Opportunity to Invest at Inflection Point (?)

>pg.18> https://s24.q4cdn.com/133441296/files/doc_financials/quarterly/2019/q3/DHI-Q3-2019-Investor-Presentation-FINAL_.pdf

PODCAST - 3rd Q. Conference Call. (34:06 Minutes)
NOTES
3rd Q summary: Progress in returning to growth
+ Not yet turned the corner (on growth),  but better positioned
+ Major product innovations, esp. at Dice (job search, alerts)
+ Targeting inhouse Tech
+ Hired new sr. sales staff - expecting 12% overall mkt growth
+ Candidate registration is increasing
+ Ebitda margins expected to continue at 22-23%
+ Modest increase in capital expenditures
+ Total debt is only $8M, with Cash of $4.5M
+ Buying back shares.  BOT 367k sh @ aver.: $3.40 continuing
+ Summary: $10M more CF, reducing debt, buying back stock
( Note: Book Value: $3.09 per share vs. Cl.: $2.91. 54M sh.)

> https://78449.choruscall.com/dataconf/productusers/dhx/mediaframe/33055/indexr.html

Play "New Super Cycle" for Video Games With 3 ETFs & Stocks
  • New Super Cycle Awaits. ...
  • FOUR Gaming ETFs: ESPO, BJK, NERD, HERO
  • ETFMG Video Game Tech ETF GAMR. ...
  • VanEck Vectors Video Gaming and eSports ETF ESPO) ...
  • Global X Video Games & Esports ETF HERO. ...
  • Activision Blizzard Inc ATVI. ...
  • NetEase Inc. ...

======

FOUR Gaming ETFs: ESPO, BJK, NERD, HERO ... : 6mo/ xx

(see Chart, below)

• drbubb unpinned this topic

FOUR Gaming ETFs: ESPO, BJK, NERD, HERO

ESPO-etc. 5yr: 2yr: 1yr: 6mo: 10d / from Jan.2015/ ESPO: $39.68, BJK: $39.98 @ 1.28.2020

VCDzozG.gif

: 6mo: 10d / from Jan.2015/ ESPO: $39.68, BJK: $39.98 @ 1.28.2020

sMjbOXh.gif

Symb. ETF name— : $-Last : PER : Yield- : vol.   / BkVal.: MktCap: xB.V.
ESPO: VG&Esports : $39.68: 27.2: 0.21%: 27.3k/ $38.97: $51.0M:  r4.34 :
BJK - : Gaming etf- : $39.96: -n/a-: 3.08%: 9.61k/
NERD: Digital Enter.: $15.98: -n/a-: 0.31%: 5.23k/
HERO: Gl.X Vid.Gm.: $17.11: -n/a-: 0.32%: 4.80k/
=====

====

ESPO/ Top 10 Holdings (60.61% of Total Assets)

Get Quotes for Top Holdings
Name Symbol % Assets
Tencent Holdings Ltd 00700 8.47%
NVIDIA Corp NVDA 8.29%
Advanced Micro Devices Inc AMD 7.79%
Activision Blizzard Inc ATVI 6.04%
Nintendo Co Ltd 7974 5.89%
Electronic Arts Inc EA 5.48%
CD Projekt SA CDR 4.80%
NetEase Inc ADR NTES 4.73%
Sea Ltd ADR SE.TW 4.71%
NCsoft Corp 036570.KS 4.41%