BHP Tinto

Invest in the right sectors

As mere mortals, we humans are really not allotted much time at all to build our fortunes. If the average investor finally starts getting serious at 30, and plans to retire at 65, he only has 35 years to multiply wealth. But if he is unfortunate or foolish enough to get trapped in a secular bear, he could lose nearly half of his entire investing lifespan and emerge with no nominal gains and big inflation-adjusted losses. The opportunity costs of letting capital languish without growing for 17 years are catastrophic.

Zeal

As mere mortals, we humans are really not allotted much time at all to build our fortunes. If the average investor finally starts getting serious at 30, and plans to retire at 65, he only has 35 years to multiply wealth. But if he is unfortunate or foolish enough to get trapped in a secular bear, he could lose nearly half of his entire investing lifespan and emerge with no nominal gains and big inflation-adjusted losses. The opportunity costs of letting capital languish without growing for 17 years are catastrophic.

Zeal

This is why I consider that all the money I've ever p!ssed up the wall in pubs is money well spent. All investments will be totally and utterly destroyed when the forthcoming big financial meltdown arrives (although obviously holding some physical gold can't hurt in the long run).

Zeal

Hmm... maybe the whole "paradigm" of investment is starting to be called into question.

Maybe wealth should come from a lifetime of honest labour and the sweat of our own brow. Or am I being a romanticist and on the wrong forum? :rolleyes:

I would think of building something controllable. The whole issue is that wealth is in the hands of someone else. Simply put, you have control over it.

My businesses are controllable and I know that there is something that I can do. Whether it is to shout or to use a fist to get the job done.

This is the same with my rentals where I might lose a bit of capital in terms of the value. However the rental generating capacity of it is huge. It was purchase during SARS and no one was buying then. Rents have gone up so much and the returns are high. As a business, I keep it just let the money come in.

Hmm... maybe the whole "paradigm" of investment is starting to be called into question.

Maybe wealth should come from a lifetime of honest labour and the sweat of our own brow. Or am I being a romanticist and on the wrong forum? :rolleyes:

yes

Maybe wealth should come from a lifetime of honest labour and the sweat of our own brow...

Wealth doesn't exist. You're born with nothing and you die with nothing. All that you acquire in between is merely spin, noise and market manipulation. :)

If you're morally bankrupt get into financial services and try and spot the next big fraud that's being concocted and ride the wave.