Jim Sinclair thread (News & Views)

I don't see better opportunities elsewhere. You also need to understand that gold is not acting inverse to the dollar anymore, look at Fridays action the USDX went up 0.28 and gold went up $6.30.

You are completely ignoring the driving force in the gold markets currently, namely central banks and large hedge funds. These are not the small speculators that you are referring too. The leveraged speculators are mainly the bullion banks (JP Morgan, Goldman, HSBC, etc,) on the short side, they are currently being squeezed which is the reason there is a commercial signal failure in progress.

Large hedge funds now getting involved on the long side, Einhorn, Tudor Jones & Paulson. Paulson has just announced that he is starting a new gold fund and personally putting 250 million into it in January.

Central bank selling which has been going on for decades now is reaching and end and will turn positive this quarter.

These are not buyers using leverage as you suggest. You need to remember how small the gold and especially silver markets actually are.

Why are you long term bullish on gold and how long have you held that belief? Also how long have you not had a position, is it a temporary situation as you believe there will be a deflationary pullback, a la RH?

I think you will keep finding reasons to not buy gold, that is your choice but you are missing an established bull run of 10 years. You also will be missing the mania stage of this bull run when the best gains will be made. Maybe it would help if you started to realise that people are protecting their wealth rather than thinking of buyers as small speculators. Gold through out history has acted as a stabilising force, we are currently in very unstable times and gold will rise to take up it time honoured purpose once again.

I see at least $1350 by April 2010, which is probably too cautious. What is your price projection and where will you buy?

You don't see opportunities elsewhere because perhaps your focus is trained on PMs, which makes sense if you have capital at risk in those markets.

I had noticed the dollar action recently and that not only gold but SPX and many others have deviated from the inverse relationship over recent days, it will be interesting to see how that develops.

Einhorn, Tudor Jones & Paulson are huge names but they are hedge funds, I would be very surprised if they don't have some very clever hedges on such that if it doesn't go to plan they don't take a hit. Of course they are going to publicise these positions because they know retail buyers and traders will follow in driving the market higher. Do you think they have naked positions in gold? I do not. I am also quite sure that they would be very happy to explain to the whole world that side of the trade, but not the other, whatever that may be. Paulson has to put money into his own fund otherwise no-one would take him seriously. 250 million to him will be a fraction of his worth, it makes a great headline though doesn't it to sell his new fund?

It could be interesting to look at historical central bank purchases and sales and gold. You would then be able to see how good they are at timing the market.

It makes total sense long term to believe that the trend will continue, I got out at $950 and made some nice profits (also in silver which I actually like more but that's another discussion).

My point about leverage is that the gold price as far as I'm aware is based on the Comex price (derived from the leveraged futures market). If I have something wrong regarding this point then let me know because I would want to know, but that is my understanding.

I think that there could be a deflationary pullback, it would make a lot of sense, trying to time it would be a very difficult excercise though.

I spotted the mania in housing and sold my property in September 2007 (exchanged contracts). It makes sense that you want others to buy gold to validate your own position but I almost feel slightly awkward having to explain to someone why I don't currently own gold, it's similar to the feeling of deciding not to buy a house and having to explain to your peers why you haven't bought, and for me that's quite interesting. If I got back into gold frankly it would be tricky getting out at the mania stage because everyone else would be trying to do the same thing.

It's interesting debating this Pix, I've seen your technical analysis charts and they look pretty interesting

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't see opportunities elsewhere because perhaps your focus is trained on PMs, which makes sense if you have capital at risk in those markets.

Agreed i am not looking so I am not seeing better opportunities. I have never felt comfortable going short have always preferred being on the long side, so maybe that is something to do with it.

I had noticed the dollar action recently and that not only gold but SPX and many others have deviated from the inverse relationship over recent days, it will be interesting to see how that develops.

I understand the reasoning behind a stock market crash, but would not feel comfortable placing a short on it with the amount of monetization of debt currently happening. I see that the FED has gone down the route of monetization and QE and feel that the stock market will go up, not in a straight line and not as much as PMs.

Einhorn, Tudor Jones & Paulson are huge names but they are hedge funds, I would be very surprised if they don't have some very clever hedges on such that if it doesn't go to plan they don't take a hit. Of course they are going to publicise these positions because they know retail buyers and traders will follow in driving the market higher. Do you think they have naked positions in gold? I do not. I am also quite sure that they would be very happy to explain to the whole world that side of the trade, but not the other, whatever that may be. Paulson has to put money into his own fund otherwise no-one would take him seriously. 250 million to him will be a fraction of his worth, it makes a great headline though doesn't it to sell his new fund?

Sure I am positive they are hedged but also realise they are clever operators who tend to see action. Mind you they really should have seen this earlier, like many others did.

It could be interesting to look at historical central bank purchases and sales and gold. You would then be able to see how good they are at timing the market.

Central banks have been shorting gold for years as part of the gold suppression scheme, in the hope of ridding the world of the barbarous relic which it was termed. That has been controlling the price and making up for the short fall in supply. Now that they have turned net buyers who is going to be making up the shortfall in supply in your opinion?

It makes total sense long term to believe that the trend will continue, I got out at $950 and made some nice profits (also in silver which I actually like more but that's another discussion).

My point about leverage is that the gold price as far as I'm aware is based on the Comex price (derived from the leveraged futures market). If I have something wrong regarding this point then let me know because I would want to know, but that is my understanding.

That has been true for years but is about to change IMO. I think the gold market and price will come to be derivered from who can actually supply physical not paper soon.

I think that there could be a deflationary pullback, it would make a lot of sense, trying to time it would be a very difficult excercise though.

I spotted the mania in housing and sold my property in September 2007 (exchanged contracts). It makes sense that you want others to buy gold to validate your own position but I almost feel slightly awkward having to explain to someone why I don't currently own gold, it's similar to the feeling of deciding not to buy a house and having to explain to your peers why you haven't bought, and for me that's quite interesting. If I got back into gold frankly it would be tricky getting out at the mania stage because everyone else would be trying to do the same thing.

It's interesting debating this Pix, I've seen your technical analysis charts and they look pretty interesting

You could be right there could be another deflationary pullback, but then again the could just be the continued march to hyperinflation. Gold tends to do well in both scenarios IMO.

I too spotted the mania in house prices, slightly earlier in 2006, due to having to move anyway. I don't want to promote my feeling on gold to validate my position, I feel quiet comfortable in my own way on it. I am using this board to help spread the knowledge and news that I am gaining to other like minded individuals. I will be leaving my capital in PMs till I see this currency crisis starting to end and the House:Gold or Dow:Gold ratio starting to turn back up.

I feel that this gold bull has a lot further to go yet and would not be comfortable selling my insurance just yet. I have been running a very successful advertising photography studio for 20 years and am kind of using PMs to counteract the drop off in business caused by this crisis. When I see my work starting to pick up again I think that will be around the time I want to step away from PMs and concentrate back on production. I don't really see PMs as an investment, more a way of preserving my lifestyle against government stupidity. I actually have my biggest investment in my company premises and equipment which this government is currently punishing me for having made. I see gold as a way of me putting the pain back on them, which is rather a simple way of looking at things I know. :)

Central banks have been shorting gold for years as part of the gold suppression scheme, in the hope of ridding the world of the barbarous relic which it was termed. That has been controlling the price and making up for the short fall in supply. Now that they have turned net buyers who is going to be making up the shortfall in supply in your opinion?

I would have to look at that aspect more because I simply do not know enough about it. I think when you have a thread where most views are aligned it can be useful to have some differing views thrown into the mix, as per some of the points I've put across, because when you have capital invested in something it's often easy to deviate from an objective viewpoint. Don't take that the wrong way, I am not accusing you of not being objective per se, I am just pointing out that if lots of posters reinforce each other's views it doesn't necessarily promote a balanced debate.

I am a trader at heart you see, it's much more interesting for me personally to spot opportunities and exploit them over a shorter time frame than to put a large quantity into PMs and wait and watch.

That said, you have made me reconsider my position in the sense that just because I aspire to be a professional trader and work towards that goal it doesn't mean I can't mix investing with trading. I think perhaps I have been too focussed on learning to trade recently without thinking about the longer term picture. I've kind of blindsided myself as previously I was only interested in the long term and over the last few months have made a cross over right to the other side of the aisle.

Interesting, thanks

I would have to look at that aspect more because I simply do not know enough about it. I think when you have a thread where most views are aligned it can be useful to have some differing views thrown into the mix, as per some of the points I've put across, because when you have capital invested in something it's often easy to deviate from an objective viewpoint. Don't take that the wrong way, I am not accusing you of not being objective per se, I am just pointing out that if lots of posters reinforce each other's views it doesn't necessarily promote a balanced debate.

I am a trader at heart you see, it's much more interesting for me personally to spot opportunities and exploit them over a shorter time frame than to put a large quantity into PMs and wait and watch.

That said, you have made me reconsider my position in the sense that just because I aspire to be a professional trader and work towards that goal it doesn't mean I can't mix investing with trading. I think perhaps I have been too focussed on learning to trade recently without thinking about the longer term picture. I've kind of blindsided myself as previously I was only interested in the long term and over the last few months have made a cross over right to the other side of the aisle.

Interesting, thanks

The websites www.gata.org and www.lemetropolecafe.com would help you a lot with gaining knowledge on the gold suppression scheme and the central bank selling. Lemetropolecafe is a subscription site, but they have a free 2 week trial that I would recommend to anyone wanting to understand the situation better.

Trading must be very difficult at the moment, due to the fact that you can never be quiet sure what trick the CB's are going pull next. Glad I am not trading at the moment, although I have in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Pied Piper's Party over yet?

Is the March to higher Gold prices still on?

gold2m.gif

"The magnet underlying gold is at $1156 and below that at $1089" - PP

Maybe Bubb has a repeating pattern of getting out too early? He got out of UK property in 2001, 3 years before the property peak in gold and 6 years before the nominal peak. If he does the same with gold, he might lose out on another 500% gain or so.

The attitude shown towards Sinclair here and elsewhere is inappropriate IMO.

Sinclair is one of the few people who really stick their neck out - and he has done so for a long time. All this time, gold has gone up and hit one after the other of his targets. The judgement on Sinclair's calls still stands out ($1,650), and also on his further predictions which he announces more quietly. His formula is unbeaten in explaining very concisely what's unfolding. Thta he gets things wrong every now and then is human.

Sinclair is one of the few people who really stick their neck out - and he has done so for a long time. All this time, gold has gone up and hit one after the other of his targets. The judgement on Sinclair's calls still stands out ($1,650), and also on his further predictions which he announces more quietly. His formula is unbeaten in explaining very concisely what's unfolding. Thta he gets things wrong every now and then is human.

yep

he seems to have made some good calls along the way and in the 70's also

i dont quite understand why he is doing it - maybe he just wants to warn people and for them to protect some of their wealth from the madness

i posted the pied piper which was a tongue in cheek dig at those calling the top - Bubb turned it around to be Sinclair but i think it is more relevant to Prechter and certain Elliot Wavers

thinking of Elliot Waves - does anyone have an opinion on alf fields forecasts

link

I mentioned previously that the early corrections were 4%, 8% and 16% at increasing orders of magnitude. If one were to be pedantic, one would say that the next level of correction should be 32%. Looking at the chart below, the correction from $1015 to $699 is 31%! It sticks out like a sore thumb. Surely this is exactly the 32% correction that we should have been anticipating for Major TWO?

Assuming that the $699 low on 23 October 2008 turns out to be the actual low point of the correction, and that remains to be proven, then we can conclude that we have seen the low point for Major TWO. That will allow us to update my original “back of the envelope” template to much higher levels, as follows:

Major ONE up from $256 to $1,015 (actually 4 times the $255 low);

Major TWO down from $1015 to $699, say $700 (a decline of 31%);

Major THREE up from $700 to $3,500 (a Fibonacci 5 times the $500 low);

Major FOUR down from $3,500 to $2,500 (a 29% decline);

Major FIVE up from $2,500 to $10,000 (also a 4 fold increase, same as ONE)

Once again, you can pick your number for the gain in FIVE and multiply it by $2,500. The numbers become astronomical and can really only be possible in a runaway inflationary environment, something which many thinking people are suggesting has become a possibility as a result of the actions taken during the current crisis.

Concentrating on the $3,500 target for Major THREE, which is a five fold increase from the low point of about $700, there is a case advanced in “Crisis Cogitations” for a five fold increase in money and prices in order to arrive at a “Less Hard” economic landing. In the USA, total debt recently exceeded $50 trillion and this is unsustainable given an economy with a GDP of only $14 trillion. The suggestion is that the debt level will reduce through bankruptcies to say $35 trillion while the new money created to save the situation will push up the nominal GDP to $70 trillion. A $35 trillion debt level is manageable with a GDP of $70 trillion.

It requires a five fold increase in prices to achieve the above result. Gold has retained its purchasing power over the centuries and will no doubt continue to do so in the current environment. Consequently gold will almost certainly increase five fold (or more) if the level of prices in the USA increases five fold.

[/quote/]

Agreed - we are all pygmies given the 50 years of hands on experience Sinclair has in precious metals trading. Dr Bubb would be advised to bear that in mind.

yep

he seems to have made some good calls along the way and in the 70's also

i dont quite understand why he is doing it - maybe he just wants to warn people and for them to protect some of their wealth from the madness

i posted the pied piper which was a tongue in cheek dig at those calling the top - Bubb turned it around to be Sinclair but i think it is more relevant to Prechter and certain Elliot Wavers

link

I think people would do well to look at alf fields forecasts. It is a shame he has stopped his forecasts (as he didn't want people trading on them) but his work is most excellent IMO.

They are all archieved in Kitco or 321 Gold (I think) and make mature reading.

Basically he had to disagree with Prechter on gold though being a big EW believer. He has been right since Prechter has been wrong.

Prechter now calling for falls into a low around 2012. Presently he forecasts violent falls to 680-700ish and silver equally violent to 8-9 dollars/oz.

It is interesting to watch other respectable forecasters call for 10,000 dollars/oz etc like Porter Stansberry for 2012.

I would be interested to hear what the inflationists (GF) think of the work of Ian Gordon who goes for deflation AND a record gold price. (a sovereign will buy the DOW, gold will be the only safe haven etc end of fiat currencies).

Also interested in Cliff Droke's 120 year grand supercycle forecasts which are excellent too.

Only Prechter is standing alone in calling for deflation dragging gold and silver DOWN big time for the bottom. I must say he makes his case forcibly and believable - only he has been wrong on gold for so long now it is getting worrying. I guess we will know more IF we have the next leg down in stocks...apparently around the next corner.

With so great minds pulling left and right it makes it difficult to see through the fog and take some action. Perhaps our best hope is to allocate monthly and buy more/less when the price falls/rises. Good discipline for the undecided anyway. And an element of safety can be attained by slowly squirrelling away.

I'm glad of the different opinions all nicely reflected here. At least it forces us to learn and think.

• 2 weeks later...

The tumbleweed is blowing through here since all "gold bugs" and followers of the "Pied Piper" have disappeared into 2Knew's direction. Anyhoo, what has Sinclair to say?

http://jsmineset.com/2009/12/16/the-answer...llar-questions/

The Answers To Today’s Dollar Questions

My Dear Friends,

To answer the many calls and emails I am receiving, please understand that it is my opinion that the dollar market is the most fundamental of all markets.

I will never deny that the dollar can experience contra-trend positive experiences, but I foresee no bull dollar market, nor even firmness for months.

My view is based on the fundamental disaster that the dollar is, especially with the deceleration of foreign demand for the ever increasing size of Treasury auctions.

Supply from the desire for diversification and from the ever-growing size of Treasury auctions is dollar supply that will not be offset by increasing demand, except for the brief moments of Management of Perspective Economics.

When rates rise, which they will, it will be a product of a disdain for dollar instruments and not positive for the US dollar outside of a few days.

This business recovery is MOPE, smoke and mirrors, and is therefore totally brittle, locking the Fed into near zero rates and unlimited QE.

The Fed comments, even though carefully structured, confirmed that today.

Hyperinflation is a currency event, not an economic event. When it occurs it will be super bullish on general equities in the currency of the entity whose mismanagement caused it in the first place.

Respectfully,

Jim

I would be interested to hear what the inflationists (GF) think of the work of Ian Gordon who goes for deflation AND a record gold price. (a sovereign will buy the DOW, gold will be the only safe haven etc end of fiat currencies).

Ian Gordon sounds about right to me - I don't see gold getting dragged down again by a multi month change of direction in the dollar. As I see it, last year was an exception as the financial crisis centred on the the US which has the reserve currency and the panic crash meant everything got liquidated and went into buying dollars and T-bills making the dollar stronger.

These panic crashes seem to be happening on a 36 year cycle in the west - 1937, 1973/74 and 2008/09 but I don't think it was the liquidation of physical gold that pushed it lower but paper gold. So in extreme fear (and VIX reached record levels that only older traders had last seen in 1987) everything was sold off at any price - people just wanted out of the market.

I think the coming crash is going to have lower volatility at the bottom and will happen over a longer timeframe - it's going to be more like the 2000 to 2003 bear market. But the other thing to remember is that the dollar up/gold down isn't a hard and fast rule and that a rising dollar might just act as a headwind to gold rather than a tailwind whilst it's rising. So I think Prechter wil be wrong yet again in believing a rising dollar will cause the same affect.

The last gold bull market lasted roughly 14 years (if you take the theoretical low as being around 1966 where the US stockmarkets made their p/e peaks, the same as 1929 and 2000) and we are currently 9.5 years into the current bull market. From the work that I have done, I don't think this gold bull market will last beyond the bottom of the next equity markets low which I forecast to be in early 2013.

That still gives 3 years in which the parabolic blow-off phase can happen and I'm now trying to work out how that will happen, what is achievable and when to get out!. I'm not an Elliot Wave fan but I do recognise the general 5-wave pattern and have looked at Frank Barbera's charts to give me an idea - the main problem with users of Elliot Wave is that they don't know when the peak is going to come so they have to keep re-doing their counts...... boring.

What I try and do is work out rational projections based on time, not price along with fractal patterns and say this is likely to be where a top or bottom could occur. I also know that if in January 2013 house prices and stocks are approaching a bottom and gold is getting very expensive relative to everything else then there's better value to be found elsewhere.... eg. BP shares might be trading with a yield of 11% or house prices are at 3X earnings.

For the price of gold to keep going up, more and more people must come into the market and/or existing buyers must buy more - I think another stocks bear market (number 3 since the 2000 peak) will cause the general public to throw in the towel over the next 3 years and buy gold. The general public I think will be a far greater force to push gold higher than a strenthening dollar to push it lower again and then of course there's India and China.....

Maybe Bubb has a repeating pattern of getting out too early? He got out of UK property in 2001, 3 years before the property peak in gold and 6 years before the nominal peak. If he does the same with gold, he might lose out on another 500% gain or so.

LOL.

Hey, Goldie, don't forget:

I SOLD property in 2001, to buy Gold and Gold shares on the 2001 lows.

You could have done worse than following me - though I do not own a flute.

I think people would do well to look at alf fields forecasts. It is a shame he has stopped his forecasts (as he didn't want people trading on them) but his work is most excellent IMO.

They are all archieved in Kitco or 321 Gold (I think) and make mature reading.

Basically he had to disagree with Prechter on gold though being a big EW believer. He has been right since Prechter has been wrong.

Prechter now calling for falls into a low around 2012. Presently he forecasts violent falls to 680-700ish and silver equally violent to 8-9 dollars/oz.

It is interesting to watch other respectable forecasters call for 10,000 dollars/oz etc like Porter Stansberry for 2012.

Have you a link or a chart from Alf Field?

I want to include one on the thread with GF's long term gold charts

Have you a link or a chart from Alf Field?

I want to include one on the thread with GF's long term gold charts

The following is Alf Field’s Gold price predictions:

We are presently in Major Up Move Three.

http://jsmineset.com/2009/05/10/alf-field’...ce-predictions/

The following is Alf Field’s Gold price predictions:

We are presently in Major Up Move Three.

$10,000 looks very optimistic.

Ian Gordon sounds about right to me - I don't see gold getting dragged down again by a multi month change of direction in the dollar. As I see it, last year was an exception as the financial crisis centred on the the US which has the reserve currency and the panic crash meant everything got liquidated and went into buying dollars and T-bills making the dollar stronger.

Does Gordon see a coming "blow off" phase in gold that many are talking about, or does he view gold as a currency? From what I have read, I like Gordon also.

I think the coming crash is going to have lower volatility at the bottom and will happen over a longer timeframe - it's going to be more like the 2000 to 2003 bear market. But the other thing to remember is that the dollar up/gold down isn't a hard and fast rule and that a rising dollar might just act as a headwind to gold rather than a tailwind whilst it's rising. So I think Prechter wil be wrong yet again in believing a rising dollar will cause the same affect.

That still gives 3 years in which the parabolic blow-off phase can happen and I'm now trying to work out how that will happen, what is achievable and when to get out!. I'm not an Elliot Wave fan but I do recognise the general 5-wave pattern and have looked at Frank Barbera's charts to give me an idea - the main problem with users of Elliot Wave is that they don't know when the peak is going to come so they have to keep re-doing their counts...... boring.

For the price of gold to keep going up, more and more people must come into the market and/or existing buyers must buy more - I think another stocks bear market (number 3 since the 2000 peak) will cause the general public to throw in the towel over the next 3 years and buy gold. The general public I think will be a far greater force to push gold higher than a strenthening dollar to push it lower again and then of course there's India and China.....

Interesting views C. I agree that gold does not have to always move inversely to the dollar. Look at the dollar and Yen, they often strengthen together while other currencies weaken. Why couldn't gold, the dollar and Yen all strengthen together at some point. If they did, this would reflect money moving from weaker currencies to stronger more central ones.

It makes sense to talk of the price of the dollar [uSDX, or priced against other currencies] just as we price gold. So if the dollar went from say 72 to 92 on the index this would represent something like a near 30% increase. If gold increased in price and went from 1100 to 1400, how is this essentially different to what could happen in the dollar? And then rather than expecting a "blow off phase", couldn't this move also just be interpreted as a strengthening of a currency... when priced in another currency.

The tumbleweed is blowing through here since all "gold bugs" and followers of the "Pied Piper" have disappeared into 2Knew's direction. Anyhoo, what has Sinclair to say?

http://jsmineset.com/2009/12/16/the-answer...llar-questions/

Thank gawd.

We shall probably move towards making parts of this site private,

since I got sick and tired of the mob rule, the FOPPs tried to force onto this website.

In hindsight, I should have banned several of them much sooner

The CIGAs are still here. :lol:

Have a cigar, to celebrate.

big_cuban_cigar.jpg

If you do a Google search on "Fop Cigar", this is one of the images you get:

1106dandyy.jpg

This guy might be a good candidate to buy gold on every dip. / Haha

In between buying the dips, he can amuse himself with one of these:

nixoncigars.jpg

Archived