Jim Sinclair thread (News & Views)

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More numbers...

Jim Sinclair’s Commentary

Giving you gold price objectives has not proved in the past to be in your best interest as we are read by both sides of the gold market spectrum.

However, one time ONLY, here they are:

- $1000. Three tries and success. This is the third try.

- $1024

- $1089

- $1156

- $1225

- $1296

- $1369

- $1444

- $1521

- $1600

- $1681

Then on to Alf’s numbers.

Alf refuses to give his levels as he is too concerned that those who know them will attempt to trade them, resulting in their being out of position as an upward explosion takes place.

"If you are going to hype about dollar implosions, please hype with dignity. Give us our hype's worth."

Mish put it well.

The hype is unimpressive, if it is to vague.

A countdown to what? Based on what source?

Too much hype, ego and play to take some of the comments/numbers/dates seriously over there, IMO. Still worth a regular scan though for news, Dan's charts, opinions, etc. though...

EDIT: Read some comments by Stewart Thomson yesterday - seems to think Jim is quite the playa.

I would agree that his site is worth a check on, you need to look past the ego though.

Do you have a link to the comments you are talking about?

I would agree that his site is worth a check on, you need to look past the ego though.

Do you have a link to the comments you are talking about?

It's in his Daily Update subscription for the 3rd - if it gets posted on 321gold, gold-eagle, wherever. Not that big a deal - just made me raise my eyebrows a little.

Trader Dan Discusses Technical Points In Gold - http://jsmineset.com/2009/09/09/trader-dan...points-in-gold/

Here are some points of interest from a technical perspective in the gold chart…

Note that this is a weekly chart.

1. All of the major moving averages are moving upward – the long term trend is solidly higher.

2. The broad based triangular consolidation pattern that has been in effect since early this year has been decidedly broken to the upside with further follow through coming so far this week

3. The weekly RSI, which has been in the same consolidation mode as the underlying metal, has also broken out of its pattern to the upside and has breached the 60 level.

4. Note the heavy red line near the 1003 level and you can see the significance of a WEEKLY close above this level. That has never yet been accomplished. When it does gold will test the all time high near $1030. A breach of that and $1200 comes into play. Any guesses as to why the feds are attempting to fight the price rise? They too can read price charts…

5. Ideal technical behavior would be for gold to hold support on any price retracements above the downsloping trendline that marked the upper boundary of the 9 month long consolidation pattern this year

6. Failure at this level would send it back into the triangle and would not signify any damage to the uptrend but would spell a further period of price consolidation as the market attempts to adjust to the current price levels. Keep in mind that anything above $900 is still a lofty level in the minds of many players and particularly end users who need time to see how demand fares near these current levels.

7. Only a downside breach of $860 would threaten the friendly chart picture and give the deflationist argument any credibility. It is evident that gold is dismissing that view.

http://jsmineset.com/wp-content/uploads/20...d-TraderDan.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Countdown To Dollar Implosion Madness

Jim's countdown gets a thorough bashing from Mish. I have to say when I first saw his countdown I thought it a highly ill-advised move.

Where is it at now? 50 odd days to go? I think it is far more likely that the dollar will spike upwards in 50 days than collapse. :rolleyes:

Giving you gold price objectives has not proved in the past to be in your best interest as we are read by both sides of the gold market spectrum.

:huh:

Where is it at now? 50 odd days to go? I think it is far more likely that the dollar will spike upwards in 50 days than collapse. :rolleyes:

48 days to go and counting.....

http://jsmineset.com/2009/09/20/in-the-news-today-317/

The US dollar is the new carry trade substitute for the Yen. That means lower and outrageously violent. Add negative fundamentals and the ride lower is going to be outrageously violent in both directions.

The Chinese do not have until 2010. Only 49 days to go.

clip_image005_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jim predicts that a remake of james bond, goldfinger will be one of the features marking a top in gold. He outlines the plot....

A remake of the movie Goldfinger features Sean Connery’s grandson as Bond and Jon Nadler as Auric Goldfinger. This time, the villain gets away with the gold and Bond is accused of the theft. Goldfinger is actually filmed inside Fort Knox, which, since it was discovered to be empty of gold, becomes the world’s largest production set. As an aside, the guards at Fort Knox were falsely accused of the gold theft but convicted anyway in a secret trial. During their defense, the guards claimed that there hadn’t been any gold there for over 30 years.

hahaha

Jim predicts that a remake of james bond, goldfinger will be one of the features marking a top in gold. He outlines the plot....

A remake of the movie Goldfinger features Sean Connery’s grandson as Bond and Jon Nadler as Auric Goldfinger. This time, the villain gets away with the gold and Bond is accused of the theft. Goldfinger is actually filmed inside Fort Knox, which, since it was discovered to be empty of gold, becomes the world’s largest production set. As an aside, the guards at Fort Knox were falsely accused of the gold theft but convicted anyway in a secret trial. During their defense, the guards claimed that there hadn’t been any gold there for over 30 years.

hahaha

:lol:

Sho, Mr. Goldfinger, do you egg-shpect me to talk?

081114bond-goldfinger.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

http://jsmineset.com/2009/10/21/thoughts-the-day/

Dear CIGAs,

1. California moves east as New York nears a zero cash level. Think about this when you hear anything to do with stopping or curtailing QE.

2. Think about CIT’s major executive resignation before you become too happy about a $6 billion dollar loan from the private sector that would take the most senior debt level and therefore rights.

3. 1968 to 1980 was a dress rehearsal as far as gold and the US dollar are concerned today.

4. Today is not a dress rehearsal where gold and the US dollar is concerned.

5. A permanent change in the US dollar’s international importance is in motion.

6. A permanent change in gold’s relationship to international reserves is in process.

7. A resurgence to the US dollar’s position of the reserve currency of choice is not going to happen.

8. Gold is not going to re-experience the first quarter of 1980 fall.

9. Gold is going to re-enter both the qualified investment category as well as accepted, respected monetary asset categories.

Think now about the daily countdown by looking out the market window and seeing what is happening to the US dollar.

The countdown is to a point where it is clear that confidence in the US dollar has reached a point of no fast or meaningful return.

There are 18 days left, and it certainly looks like what has been anticipated in time cycle is in FACT happening.

I do not subscribe to the thesis that this phenomena is happening by mistake or miscalculation. Those observers that think financial leaders are stupid are wrong. It is the observer who is demonstrating stupidity.

What markets cannot stand now is a major geopolitical upset where energy is concerned.

You and Bubb obviously don't read Sinclair. He IS genuinely concerned, otherwise, why would he have this blog? The guy is rich and could retire. But he spends hours explaining his point of view every day. As for the sound footing, it is certainly sounder than many others, including certain posters on GEI.

Have you missed the irony in what you have just posted?

???

"The guy is rich and could retire. But he spends hours explaining his point of view every day."

I'm sure he has more money than I do.

But what benefit do you think he derives from other folks buying gold?

Far more than I get by trying to get people to buy carefully, and hedge their Gold positions sometimes.

I really dont get this worshipful attitude towards Mr.Sinclair!

He was caught misleading people about his investments in Tan-Range, when he was quietly unloading

stock while telling everyone that he was putting money into the private placement

The man is hardly the paragon you make him out to be.

Having said that, I do think many people get value from his blog, and I am happy for you to post his

comments here. But do realise that he would love to see his "troops" have enough power to move the

Gold market is his own favor. I'm sure that at least half his motivation is that he would like to teach a

lesson to those on the other side of the Gold market, whom he has been competing with for years.

I really dont get this worshipful attitude towards Mr.Sinclair!

He was caught misleading people about his investments in Tan-Range, when he was quietly unloading

stock while telling everyone that he was putting money into the private placement

I know you posted something on this. It is not really relevant to me because I don't own any stock of his company. Could you post the link/article again please?

But do realise that he would love to see his "troops" have enough power to move the

Gold market is his own favor. I'm sure that at least half his motivation is that he would like to teach a

lesson to those on the other side of the Gold market, whom he has been competing with for years.

He certainly would like to see this. But so would I. It is no reason for me to dismiss what he writes on the general economy and other issues. He is obviously polarising, but so are people like Dines and others. He is bold enough to take a very distinct position. I think he is spot on with many thinks he writes. Just take what I posted two posts earlier. It's only a few people like Sinclair who write so clearly on this kind of stuff, and I think he is correct here.

I know you posted something on this. It is not really relevant to me because I don't own any stock of his company. Could you post the link/article again please?

Tom Obrien reported this on a TFNN podcast.

Tom is a guy of high integrity, whom I have met, and who comes across that way on his podcasts.

Tom will no longer buy stock in Sinclair's company.

I will see if I can find a link somewhere.

He certainly would like to see this. But so would I. It is no reason for me to dismiss what he writes on the general economy and other issues. He is obviously polarising, but so are people like Dines and others. He is bold enough to take a very distinct position. I think he is spot on with many thinks he writes. Just take what I posted two posts earlier. It's only a few people like Sinclair who write so clearly on this kind of stuff, and I think he is correct here.

Nothing wrong with having a view which is the same as one's position.

It is normal "to put one's money where one's mouth is". But he is hardly impartial.

I'd be very careful taking too much trading advice from him, since it is possible he will miss some very big down moves.

Like in 2008, and maybe in the weeks and months to come. Now, I may be wrong about that, and watch gold shoot up

to $1200, $1600, or $2000, while Sinclair and his fans make huge returns. But my thing is about trading the swings,

not buy and hold. And I have multiplied my money by 5X or more doing that. Better than if I had just put everything

into the yellow metal and held. Even so, I may be wrong about Gold for months at a time, but that doesnt invalidate

a successful trading strategy.

I do think the next test for Gold is $1030, then maybe $980,rather than the higher targets JS has.

I'd be very careful taking too much trading advice from him, since it is possible he will miss some very big down moves.

Sinclair doesn't give trading advice (other than buy physical and hold it). Indeed, he advises against trading (if that isn't a contradiction of my first sentence).

Tom Obrien reported this on a TFNN podcast.

Tom is a guy of high integrity, whom I have met, and who comes across that way on his podcasts.

Tom will no longer buy stock in Sinclair's company.

I will see if I can find a link somewhere.

I found these:

1/

In April 2002, shareholders of Tanzanian Royalty Exploration (formerly Tan Range Exploration) approved the acquisition of Tanzania American International, a company controlled by the Sinclair family, for shares in Tan Range . Following this transaction, Mr. Sinclair became Chairman of Tan Range and now leads its efforts to become a gold royalty company.

He has authored numerous magazine articles and three books dealing with a variety of investment subjects, including precious metals, trading strategies and geopolitical events, and their relationship to world economics and the markets. He is a frequent and enormously popular speaker at gold investment conferences and his commentary on gold and other financial issues garners extensive media coverage at home and abroad.

In January 2003, Mr. Sinclair launched, “Jim Sinclairs MineSet,” which now hosts his gold commentary and is intended as a free service to the gold community.

(Interesting timing there, isnt it? Convenient to have a popular website, which sometimes mentions TanRange.

Hey, I'm a director and part owner of a quoted mining company too.

Have you EVER seen me ramping it on GEI? I bet most here did not even know that.)

2/

(He tries hard to steel people so they will not sell gold. Another writer reported this):

Refer to my article "Gold Shares Too Hot For Dow Tumble" and Sinclair's piece "Saturday, December 06, 2003, 8:02:00 PM EST Trojan Horse Alert" at his website at jsmineset (but you must scroll down to find it; I couldn't find a direct link).

Anyone in the position of offering investment advice is naive to suggest that any sector is immune from panic at any time.

To add insult to injury (to himself), Sinclair's criticism centered on the proposition that gold shares could only fall during a collapse in the broad market if we all believed they would, and acted on those beliefs.

The self-fulfilling prophecy principle is a familiar circularity in most Keynesianspeak. It's garbage. It's the line of attack the opponents of free markets tend to take on when they want to blame gold bulls for causing interest rates to go up. It's fitting that the title of his piece was Trojan horse alert. Indeed.

He said that in his "experience, there is simply no reason for gold shares to drop along with general equity shares in a major market decline as stated" in my article. Then he rambled on about some mixed up version of economic cycles that were different before 1971 than they were after, putting me in Prechter's camp at the same time to boot!

/see: http://www.safehaven.com/article-1167.htm

3/

How he reported his participation in placements:

Tanzanian Royalty Chairman Completes $1 Million Private Placement and $375,000 Fourth Tranche of C$3 Million Private Placement - "Tanzanian Royalty Exploration Corporation advises that, including this $1 million private placement and interest free advances to the Company to be applied towards the aggregate $3 million private placement (the "Placements"), the Company's Chairman and CEO, Mr. James E. Sinclair's total share placements to date aggregate in excess of $17 million.

/see: http://www.goldreview.com/index.php?blogid...query=placement

4/

DISPOSITIONS? It is hard to find reports of him selling, he does it quietly.

But I found these:

Re: Sinclair acquires 189,036 more shares 24-Feb-09 11:20 am

Feb 20/09 Feb 16/09 Sinclair, James E. Direct Ownership Common Shares 10 - Disposition in the public market -33,000 $4.529

Feb 20/09 Feb 13/09 Sinclair, James E. Direct Ownership Common Shares 10 - Disposition in the public market -10,300 $4.484

Feb 20/09 Feb 12/09 Sinclair, James E. Direct Ownership Common Shares 10 - Disposition in the public market -24,000 $4.390

Feb 20/09 Feb 11/09 Sinclair, James E. Direct Ownership Common Shares 10 - Disposition in the public market -10,000 $4.745

(Im sure there were many more)

/see: http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stocks_(...frt=2&off=1

5/

The naked shorts, that have been a complete abomination for years now, took a shot at Jim Sinclair’s company Tan Range in Barrons this past weekend, and chopped it’s share price some 20% this morning. I’m pretty sure TRE will be around for a while, in fact, I am of the opinion that TRE will not even be “priced” in Dollars within a years time. I wonder who will be laughing then? This is like the condemned prisoner spitting in the executioners face as far as I am concerned.

/see: http://arch09.goldtent.net/2009/04/13/bill...asgood-as-ever/

6/

(( Barrons article ?? ))

7/

I havent found the Barrons article yet, but I found this:

Tanzanian Royalty CEO Provides Clarification On Recent Article in Barrons

2009-04-13 08:35 ET - News Release

This weekend the Barron’s online website carried an article about the Company that portrayed it in a less than favorable light.

There may have been some rush to put out the article for the Easter weekend as it seems the fact checking normally conducted by this publication neglected to meet its usual standards.

One of the article’s shortcomings is its misunderstanding of our business model which is essentially that of a royalty company. Our highly regarded land position in northern Tanzania was acquired and is being developed within the context of this royalty model which is unique within our peer group.

Under a Royalty Option Agreement it is the task of the funding party to complete exploration work and any subsequent 43-101 compliant resource calculations. The significant capital expenses associated with building a mine under Royalty Agreements are the sole responsibility of the other party - not Tanzanian Royalty.

/see:

WHO IS Jim Sinclair thread:

https://www.kitcomm.com/archive/index.php?t-6812.html

What Turns me off about JS, is his desire to turn an investment into a personality cult.

or a political movement

Here's how someone else put it:

People calling themselves 'Comrades in Golden Arms' are setting themselves up for disappointment and a weak handed position due to the 'at war' imagery. That is because emotion enters through this image and in war there are winners and there are losers. To me, if you have fought the gold wars long enough, you still lose even if you one day 'win' as your hyperinfaltionary ship comes in. You lose because the constant 'at war' stance has degraded you, taken chunks out of your being. In short, I do not think it is healthy. Also, gold is a tool. We do not want to worship golden idols here. We want to avoid the damage being inflicted by a corrupt and bankrupt system. Gold is not the be all and end all. It is a means to an end.

/more: http://seekingalpha.com/article/133845-jim...communal-emails

Archived