G0ldfinger

HYPERINFLATION

Some shocking figures here. Merv better get printing pretty fast before we have mass bankruptcies ....

http://www.debtmanagementtoday.co.uk/newss...panies_owe_53bn

Final comments excellent:

"Alongside weak growth, we now have the very real prospect that more money will be printed, which will further dilute Sterling. Stagflation is now a real and imminent threat. Although the extreme weather conditions would certainly have contributed to the shock performance of the economy in Q4, the real reasons for its continued stagnation are far more fundamental.

"Consumer spending and demand have been decimated by rising unemployment, rising living costs and the prospect that rates could rise sooner rather than later as inflation runs out of control.”

FT Alphaville also have a funny post about a Deutsche Bank note showing a chart of UK CPI overlaid with search hits for terms 'Bank of England' and 'credibility' and 'inflation'

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2011/01/26...y-on-inflation/

factiva.jpg

Oh crud. So how high will CPI be within 1 year? 7%? 9%?

RPI will be 2% more I presume?

Oh crud. So how high will CPI be within 1 year? 7%? 9%?

RPI will be 2% more I presume?

Great chart! :o

Inflation expectations! I wrote about it recently on this thread its picking up BIG TIME!! in the UK this chart confirms my gut feeling.

Even fiddled GDP is down, fiddled inflation is way over target, house prices are about to collapse thus reigning in spending crushing fiddled GDP further, the cuts are yet to bite, unemployment will make the deficit worse as social security payments rise so more cuts will be needed we will continue to print to cover the blackhole putting further pressure on the pound forcing prices up.

What a mess! There is a sense of things slipping over the edge here!

Crack-up boom?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-26/v...-keep-pace.html

Volkswagen, BMW Pinched as Suppliers Struggle to Keep Up

Volkswagen AG, Porsche SE and Bayerische Motoren Werke AG are feeling the pinch of tight component supplies as parts-makers struggle to keep pace with resurgent vehicle demand.

Crack-up boom?

Cars are a high order goods I believe so I am not sure.

I am thinking this more temporary and inventory lead due to the massive success of Gordon to save the German car industry with my money. China no doubt is having an effect but again high fuel costs will bite them too.

$200 oil should put a stop to this.

But I'll tell you one thing we will definately agree on, it doesn't look very deflationary :lol:

How can this be? People just won't eat steaks & burgers anymore, and stop drinking milk. They have no money in their hands. Cattle prices will drop until one single Federal Reserve Note will buy all cattle in the world ("hyper-deflation"). With only a few million cattle available, but gazillions of Federal Reserve Notes, additional cattle supply will be flown in from Mars. :wacko:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-28/u...ecord-high.html

U.S. Cattle Herd at Lowest Since 1958 May Spur Beef-Price Surge

The U.S. cattle herd probably shrunk to the smallest size since 1958, and the drop in beef supplies may boost prices to a record, analysts said.

I don't get it. They just shouldn't eat for a while. Then prices will fall. Then there will be so much deflation soon that everyone can swim in milk and honey. People have no money in their hands. Hello, people, have you forgotten? You have no money, so your prices can't go up. Now, just don't eat for while, and milk and honey will soon run for free. :wacko:

http://jsmineset.com/2011/01/28/hourly-act...trader-dan-397/

It seems to me that the catalyst for the huge amount of unrest in the region of the world was the surge in food prices. One of the things that the wheat market has been watching and anticipating has been Egyptian wheat purchases. They are one of our largest buyers of wheat and there was talk that began last week and continued earlier this week that Egypt was going to be forced into buying a good deal more US wheat in an attempt to make sure that there was sufficient supply for one thing and that they could snag it before its price moved even higher. Their leaders no doubt saw what happened to the government of Tunisia and wanted to nip any potential problem in the bud. Apparently things moved too quickly for them. Regardless, we have been warning that this outbreak of the inflation virus, a virus I might add which has been fed, nourished, propagated and even lovingly caressed by the US Federal Reserve, was going to result in global instability as its effects were primarily being seen in the cost of food. Rising food prices in the undeveloped world are NOT INGREDIENTS for peaceful society.

Truthfully, it has happened even more quickly than I had considered it would. I was looking more towards the spring of this year as the price rises work through the global distribution channels. A question for Ben and the boyz at the Fed, (Governor Hoenig exempted), “How do you like your handiwork now?” Is it any wonder that the Chinese are so rightfully disdainful of what the Fed is doing.

BTW, please don't blame the Fed for it. Come on, a trillion here and a trillion there, what's that against the horrendous debt deflation we are fighting against? No, the Fed's money printing has nothing to do with it. People just got too rich (too much money on their hands), and that's why we're in this inflation mess now. :wacko: Just take the money away from the people (no money in their hands), and prices will come down. Why should they eat expensive bread anyway? Let them eat cake! :wacko:

Hmm, what I still don't get is how people got that rich, given all the debt deflation and that all the money is stuck in the banks going nowhere. I sense a conspiracy. :wacko: Maybe space invaders who walk among us secretly export agri stuff from earth? Can some show me a picture with some structure on the moon or elsewhere that might prove this? :wacko:

Also, why do these African peasants complain about inflation first place? Haven't they heard that UK yachts and US real estate have totally dropped in price? There is not really any inflation, it is all deflation. If they don't like their expensive bread, why don't they go and buy a cheap yacht instead and eat some cake? It all makes no sense, or does it? :wacko:

I will repeat – the Federal Reserve of the US is exporting runaway inflation across the entire globe with its reckless policy of QE.

Come on, the Fed has nothing to do with it, I just explained that. Now, take all this money away from those starving peasants so they can afford food again, and show me the ET bases. :wacko:

Farmers warn of food price rises

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-12312249

Big rises in food prices are likely over the next year, livestock farmers in Suffolk have told the BBC Politics Show in the East.

The farmers said the rises were likely because of the increased cost of breeding chickens and pigs, due to an increase in the price of feed.

This is partly due to the rise in demand for livestock feed from China.

No mention of currency debasement, QE and the quantity of money in the world.

I need opinions. Seems the world around us and specifically the people in it are not seeing things or to put it more clearly, they are not envisaging things the way many of us are.

For eg.

http://www.pehub.com/94232/carlyle-to-buy-integrated-dental/

People are assuming that things will just carry on, normally, irrespective of the repercussions with the currency repudiation.

With hyperinflation, what would happen with the myraid of government contracts given out to private non governmental organizations?

Thoughts please?

I need opinions. Seems the world around us and specifically the people in it are not seeing things or to put it more clearly, they are not envisaging things the way many of us are.

For eg.

People are assuming that things will just carry on, normally, irrespective of the repercussions with the currency repudiation.

With hyperinflation, what would happen with the myraid of government contracts given out to private non governmental organizations?

Thoughts please?

Normalcy bias is the default position for most people - even to the extent of denial as the catastrophe is happening in front of their eyes. Just because the majority of people believe things will be ok does not mean they will be. The UK has been running on fumes for a generation. Leaving aside the debt question, the actual wealth generating capacity is now orders of magnitude below current living standards and gravity will do its work. All those who recognise the situation can do is quietly prepare.

The current attempt to persuade holders of government debt that the State is making severe cuts :lol: will probably be good for another six months - and then the printing presses will have to be fired up again.

My own inflation watch alarm bell rang the other day when I noticed fig rolls were £1.09 up from 99p a week ago and from 75p before Christmas.

I guess things carry on as normal until people along the supply chain stop turning up to work for their old nominal pay or suppliers stop supplying for their old nominal prices. At that point the supply chain stops until pay and contracts are successfully renegotiated or coercion is used to get it running again. Marginally or non-useful services would almost certainly disappear.

Moody's is thinking about downgrading US T-Bills from aaa to aaa-. Some might say that this would be a tad negative for the dollar's status as the world's reserve currency. This comment by Howard Schneider is fabulous.

'The U.S. still has the world's largest economy and reserve currency, Schneider reminds us. Yet, "however unlikely, a downgrade in U.S. debt or loss of confidence in the government's ability to repay its creditors could touch off a catastrophic series of events--from a shutdown of global trade finance and credit to the collapse of banks and governments that hold large amounts of U.S. debt and depend on the flow of money through and from the United States to stay afloat."'

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/opinions/vi...rican-Debt-6755

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12309329

Diesel price reaches record high

The price of diesel at the pump has reached a new high, figures suggest.

Experian Catalist, which compiles the data, said the average price of a litre of diesel in the UK was 133.26 pence a litre.

The previous highest figure was in July 2008, the company said.

Soaring fuel prices were among the key reasons behind inflation's sharp rise in December, when the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) went up by 3.7%, against 3.3% in November.

Experian Catalist said the average price of unleaded petrol was 128.62p. This is also a fresh high - having set new records almost every day over the past couple of weeks.

'Misery'

The new diesel price meant that drivers were paying 19.21p a litre more than a year ago, adding £9.61 to the cost of a typical 50-litre refill, according to the AA.

"Hitting a new record for diesel is yet another milestone along a road of misery for drivers," said the AA's president Edmund King.

But he added that the 4.6p difference between the cost of petrol and diesel was "considerably better" than the 13.6p differential in July 2008, saying it was "better news" for car owners who had switched from petrol to diesel.

On New Year's Day, a government fuel duty increase put another 0.76p on to both petrol and diesel. And on 4 January, the rise in VAT from 17.5% to 20% meant another price rise.

On Thursday, Chancellor George Osborne said he was considering cancelling a further fuel duty increase, due to take effect in April.

There is growing pressure to have a rethink on an extra 1p-a-litre rise at a time when petrol prices have soared - in part because of the rapid acceleration of the oil price - with Brent crude close to $100 a barrel

THE ONE PENCE FUEL RISE IN APRIL IS ACTUALLY 1P ABOVE THE RATE OF INFLATION IN APRIL NOT 1P ON TOP OF THE ACTUAL FUEL PRICE POSTED IN APRIL. :o:o ALWAYS REMEMBER TO READ THE SMALL PRINT!!!!!!!!

CREEP CREEP CREEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent Crude Oil Futures $/barrel Fri 21:30 99.31 +1.92 +2.0

Brent Crude Oil Spot $/barrel Fri 16:05 98.75 +0.39 +0.4

Normalcy bias is the default position for most people - even to the extent of denial as the catastrophe is happening in front of their eyes. Just because the majority of people believe things will be ok does not mean they will be. The UK has been running on fumes for a generation. Leaving aside the debt question, the actual wealth generating capacity is now orders of magnitude below current living standards and gravity will do its work. All those who recognise the situation can do is quietly prepare.

The current attempt to persuade holders of government debt that the State is making severe cuts :lol: will probably be good for another six months - and then the printing presses will have to be fired up again.

WISE words from schaublin as USUAL. ;)

For eg.

Thoughts please?

We might all be in for a real treat IF ALK pops in with a view from the DEflationary enviroment he is battling with in THE TWILIGHT ZONE. :lol::lol::lol:

I don't get it. They just shouldn't eat for a while. Then prices will fall. Then there will be so much deflation soon that everyone can swim in milk and honey. People have no money in their hands. Hello, people, have you forgotten? You have no money, so your prices can't go up. Now, just don't eat for while, and milk and honey will soon run for free. :wacko:

http://jsmineset.com/2011/01/28/hourly-act...trader-dan-397/

BTW, please don't blame the Fed for it. Come on, a trillion here and a trillion there, what's that against the horrendous debt deflation we are fighting against? No, the Fed's money printing has nothing to do with it. People just got too rich (too much money on their hands), and that's why we're in this inflation mess now. :wacko: Just take the money away from the people (no money in their hands), and prices will come down. Why should they eat expensive bread anyway? Let them eat cake! :wacko:

Hmm, what I still don't get is how people got that rich, given all the debt deflation and that all the money is stuck in the banks going nowhere. I sense a conspiracy. :wacko: Maybe space invaders who walk among us secretly export agri stuff from earth? Can some show me a picture with some structure on the moon or elsewhere that might prove this? :wacko:

Also, why do these African peasants complain about inflation first place? Haven't they heard that UK yachts and US real estate have totally dropped in price? There is not really any inflation, it is all deflation. If they don't like their expensive bread, why don't they go and buy a cheap yacht instead and eat some cake? It all makes no sense, or does it? :wacko:

Come on, the Fed has nothing to do with it, I just explained that. Now, take all this money away from those starving peasants so they can afford food again, and show me the ET bases. :wacko:

I SEE HUMOUR FROM GF.

THEY HAVE GOT MORE TRICKS THAN THE HARLEM GLOBTROTTERS.LETS SEE WHAT THE NEXT SLAM DUNK WILL BE.?????

My own inflation watch alarm bell rang the other day when I noticed fig rolls were £1.09 up from 99p a week ago and from 75p before Christmas.

It must be demand outstripping supply, as I like those too.

Take your pick out of these ALARM bells.!!!!

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/warning-signs

Warning Signs

Do you see all of the warning signs that are flashing all around you? These days it seems like there is more bad economic news in a single week than there used to be in an entire month. 2011 is already shaping up to be a very dark year for the world economy. The price of food is shooting through the roof and we have already seen violent food riots in countries like Egypt, Algeria and Tunisia. World financial markets are becoming increasingly unstable as the sovereign debt crisis continues to get worse. Meanwhile, the number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits is up, foreclosures are up and poverty continues to spread like a plague throughout the United States. What we are starting to see around the globe is a lot like the "stagflation" of the 1970s. All of the crazy money printing that has been going on is overheating prices for agricultural commodities and precious metals, but all of this new money is not doing much to help the average man or woman on the street.

Do you remember what the economy was like in America during the 70s? We had high unemployment and high inflation at the same time. It was horrible. Well, all the warning signs are there for a stagflation repeat. Unemployment is at epidemic levels and it isn't showing any signs of decreasing much any time soon. Meanwhile, the crazy money printing that the Federal Reserve and other central banks have been doing is starting to cause significant inflation. The price of oil is about to cross the 100 dollar a barrel mark and the UN is forecasting that the global price of food is going to increase by 30 percent by the end of the year.

So, yes, there are some really, really good reasons to be incredibly concerned about the global economy in 2011.

Meanwhile, the only solutions that our global leaders seem to be offering are more money printing, more government debt and more financial control by international organizations.

The truth is that we have a real mess on our hands. The following are 20 economic warning signs that should be of great concern to all of us....

#1 Over the past seven days, the price of wheat has risen by 11 percent as concerns about food shortages continue to grow around the world.

#2 The price of corn is up a staggering 94 percent since last June.

#3 The United Nations is projecting that the global price of food will increase by 30 percent in 2011.

#4 According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits rose last week to the highest level since last October.

#5 According to the Pew Charitable Trusts, of the 14 million Americans "officially" unemployed in December, 30% of them had been unemployed for one year or longer.

#6 Beginning in the month of March, the U.S. Postal Service will begin shutting down up to 2,000 post offices across the United States.

#7 In an absolutely stunning move, Standard & Poor's has downgraded Japanese government debt from AA to AA-.

#8 72 percent of the major metropolitan areas in the United States had more foreclosures in 2010 than they did in 2009.

#9 Approximately 5 million homeowners in the United States are at least two months behind on their mortgages, and it is being projected that over a million American families will be booted out of their homes this year alone.

#10 According to the Congressional Budget Office, the Social Security system will run a deficit of 45 billion dollars this year. When the new payroll tax breaks are factored in, the projected "Social Security deficit" for this year swells to 130 billion dollars.

#11 The U.S. money supply has been rising at a pace that is absolutely unprecedented.

#12 Right now, money is flowing out of bonds at an absolutely staggering pace.

#13 The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics says that the price of food increased 50 percent faster than the overall rate of inflation during 2010.

#14 According to the U.S. Conference of Mayors, visits to soup kitchens are up 24 percent over the past year.

#15 During the last school year, almost half of all school children in the state of Illinois came from families that were considered to be "low-income".

#16 Those living in the town of Discovery Bay, California will soon not be permitted to use cash to pay for any public services. Could this be another disturbing step in the direction of a cashless society?

#17 French President Nicolas Sarkozy says that the IMF should be given the power to enforce new rules that would be designed to prevent "global economic imbalances" from happening.

#18 The U.S. government is currently borrowing about 40 cents of every single dollar that it spends.

#19 According to the Congressional Budget Office, the U.S. government will have the biggest budget deficit ever recorded (approximately 1.5 trillion dollars) this year.

#20 It is being projected that the U.S. national debt will increase by $150,000 per U.S. household between 2009 and 2021.

So is there any good news?

Well, yes there is.

U.S. Representative Ron Paul has introduced a new bill to audit the Federal Reserve. Let us hope that the move to audit the Fed fares better in the 112th Congress than it did in the 111th Congress. It would be wonderful if the American people could actually learn what has been going on inside the Fed all this time.

But mostly the news about the global economy is really bad. There have been some people that have been warning for decades that all of this money printing and all of this government debt would eventually catch up with us. Now we have almost reached the moment of reckoning that the doomsayers have been warning about for so long, and it is going to be really painful to go through it.

Thanks to the greatest debt bubble in the history of the world, we have been living beyond our means for decades. When "times were good" it was not because either the Republicans or the Democrats were doing something right. The truth is that both political parties have been horribly addicted to government debt. The debt-fueled prosperity that our politicians purchased for us is starting to come to an end, and an economic implosion is coming that most Americans will never see coming.

But hopefully most of the readers of this article are much wiser than the average American. The warning signs are there. Now is the time to take action and get prepared.

EVEN more ALARM bells.!!!!

http://www.naturalnews.com/031123_food_inflation_prices.html

Grocery prices skyrocket faster than official inflation

(NaturalNews) Grocery prices increased at more than 50 percent the rate of inflation in 2010, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Food prices increased an average of 1.7 percent between November 2009 and November 2010, in comparison with a general inflation rate of only 1.1 percent. The greatest price increases were seen among meat, poultry, fish and eggs, which went up in cost by 5.8 percent. The price of sugar and sweets increased 1.2 percent, the price of fats and oils increased 3 percent and the price of dairy-based products increased 3.8 percent.

The only commodities to go up in price more than food were medical care and transportation.

"I noticed just this month that my grocery bill for the same old stuff -- cereal, eggs, milk, orange juice, peanut butter, bread -- spiked $25," said Sue Perry, deputy editor of "ShopSmart" magazine. "It was a bit of sticker shock."

The rises in price were caused in part by climate-related crop failures in several major food exporting countries. In addition, rising demand for corn from the biofuels industry has pushed up prices for animal feed, leading to higher meat, dairy and egg costs. Finally, rising fuel prices have increased food production and transportation costs as well.

Prices are only likely to keep rising. The Department of Agriculture has forecast a further 3 percent rise in food prices in 2011, but openly admits that the estimate is conservative.

"The USDA always plays it safe," said Wells Fargo agricultural economist Michael Swanson. Swanson predicted price increases of 4 percent, the highest since the 5.5 percent increases that led to riots worldwide in 2008.

Major food producers including Kraft and General Mills have already announced plans to increase the prices of their products. Just how much of that increase will be passed along to consumers is uncertain, as retailers may try to force prices lower to keep shopper volume high.

"Food is a high-frequency driver," Swanson said. "So if stores like Walmart and Kmart want to get shoppers in the door, it's to their benefit to keep prices low."

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031123_food_inf...l#ixzz1CTAqAFDD

Jim rogers interviewed by chris martenson.

Interview with Jim Rogers:

Why Inflation is Raging Worldwide And He's Shorting US Treasury Bonds

http://www.chrismartenson.com/blog/intervi...ury-bonds/51747

"I see more inflation and more currency turmoil as we go forward. There are huge debt imbalances in the world. U.S. is the largest debtor nation in the world and all the assets are in Asia. The largest creditors in the world are China, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore – this is where the assets are and the debts are in the West. Those imbalances have to be resolved. They frequently lead to more currency turmoil. We’ll see more inflation, we’ll see more governments fall. We just saw Tunisia fall – more are coming because the world is going to continue to have these problems, and especially inflation that is going to cause more social unrest."

So said investing legend Jim Rogers when he spoke recently with ChrisMartenson.com about the inflationary pressures rising dramatically around the globe, despite some governments' best efforts to downplay them. Jim shares his "outside in" perspective on US monetary and fiscal policy, and how international players find themselves forced to react. He sees a lot of fundamental imbalances that need to be corrected for, as well as shortages of almost everything developing. In his words,

"It's going to be a real mess before it's over."

WE NEED TO TAKE A CHAIN SAW TO THESE PROBLEMS NOT AN AXE.
:blink::blink:

WARNING !!!

WARNING!!!!

WARNING!!!

RED ALERT!!!!

HAVE YOU GOT PHYSICAL GOLD AND TAKEN PERSONAL POSESSION YET.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[drama on]

WARNING !!!

WARNING!!!!

WARNING!!!

RED ALERT!!!!

HAVE YOU GOT PHYSICAL GOLD AND TAKEN PERSONAL POSESSION YET.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/drama off]

Link to Telegraph

Orange juice will soon be 'luxury'

A series of bad harvests from Florida, America to Shandong Province, China, combined with increased demand from Asian countries, has forced up the price of orange and apple juice on the world market. Supermarkets have started to react in Britain by pushing up the price of a carton of juice.

"I think consumers are still feeling the pain, and if they see the price of their staple products in the supermarket go up, they will see them as a luxury and cut back. We're not talking an extra 5p or 10p on a carton of orange juice, we're talking a doubling in price."

we're talking a doubling in price."

It's not gonna happen. People will just drink passion fruit juice, or nothing at all. Prices will fall so far, one Federal Reserve Note ... ah, you get the picture.