UK House prices: News & Views

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doubt it.

For the next few months i can easily believe we will get language like 'uncertainty in the global environment suggests we should promote growth rather than restrict it till more information is available'

The ECB can easily point to the rise in Euribor by one percent in the last year and throw that in as well for reasons to stay on hold.

Wouldn't count on them having a huge effect until you get up to the 5% mark, especially after reading a thread on HPC the other day with a graph of the 5 year fixed rate vs the BoE rate.

True, it's the message of intent though, bit like 2005 with .25% cut.

For the next few months i can easily believe we will get language like 'uncertainty in the global environment suggests we should promote growth rather than restrict it till more information is available'

The ECB can easily point to the rise in Euribor by one percent in the last year and throw that in as well for reasons to stay on hold.

They intend to fill the hole with inflation. Obvious.

We keep going round in circles with this.

Without wage inflation it's worse than rate rises.

The relative wages of the serfs matter not. Let them eat cake.

All that matters is what's propping up the banks and that's printy money from the gubbermint baling out directly and through SMI and other welfare schemes and inflated house prices (priced in Pounds and nothing else).

You really think this has anything to do with reality or serfs being able to feed themselves? Especially those serfs who stand on their own two feet and struggle on, wondering why life is so shit and why we're covered in parasites, like yourself, like myself.

1. They don't want HP's to fall, because 55% of the UK's 'wealth' is in its housing stock, upon which their whole economy is based.

2. They need to rebalance the economy back to exports and can't do this until the Pound is at parity with the Yuan. A long drawn out and painful affair.

House prices will collapse, but not in Pounds.

All that matters is what's propping up the banks and that's printy money from the gubbermint baling out directly and through SMI and other welfare schemes and inflated house prices (priced in Pounds and nothing else).

You really think this has anything to do with reality or serfs being able to feed themselves? Especially those serfs who stand on their own two feet and struggle on, wondering why life is so shit and why we're covered in parasites, like yourself, like myself.

1. They don't want HP's to fall, because 55% of the UK's 'wealth' is in its housing stock, upon which their whole economy is based.

2. They need to rebalance the economy back to exports and can't do this until the Pound is at parity with the Yuan. A long drawn out and painful affair.

It's relative to serf's when their trying to service debt in pounds.

It's relative to the government when the UK has such a large service economy.

Hence the desperation to keep rates on the floor.

It's relative to serf's when their trying to service debt in pounds.

It's relative to the government when the UK has such a large service economy.

Hence the desperation to keep rates on the floor.

Once the BoE started printing and feeding it to the banks through all that mortgage bailout nonsense, reality was thrown to the dogs.

Rates won't move for years. Base rates that is. Printing will continue. Big hole to fill. Surely at some point it collapses.

Think I'll just accept that Asia will be my lot in life. I'm worried though.

Once the BoE started printing and feeding it to the banks through all that mortgage bailout nonsense, reality was thrown to the dogs.

Rates won't move for years. Base rates that is. Printing will continue. Big hole to fill. Surely at some point it collapses.

Think I'll just accept that Asia will be my lot in life. I'm worried though.

It could be worse, you could be in the UK, thinking that's your lot :blink:

What if that multi-million pound house has one old lady living in it about 70 and then the poxy terrace house has about 10 people living in it which include a few children going to school.

Who is using more of the services being provided by the local council?

No doubt about it,any fairer council tax would take account of amount of people in the residence.

if the council is obligated in law to provide housing to the homeless it seems reasonable to encourage people to give up having too much house they do not need to enable families and so forth to benefit.

Generally speaking little old ladies leave their large houses to their children who benefit from all of the advantages that having a house brings to the owner.

Generally speaking little old ladies can benefit from moving out of a large house into something easier for them to manage

if the council is obligated in law to provide housing to the homeless it seems reasonable to encourage people to give up having too much house they do not need to enable families and so forth to benefit.

Generally speaking little old ladies leave their large houses to their children who benefit from all of the advantages that having a house brings to the owner.

Generally speaking little old ladies can benefit from moving out of a large house into something easier for them to manage

Is a house a community resource then? I figure that until and unless the council starts helping me with my acquisition of a house, they have no right to expect me to give it up when it is too big for me. What's next - only allowed to buy 2 seater cars when the kids have left home? What about fat people who eat too much? Should the council regulate how much they eat so that other people can have a share of the food?

I know your generation has been and will be roundly shafted - but please don't come up with some sort of totalitarian utopia to redress the balance. You'll regret it if you do because, once you give 'them' draconian powers, they'll just keep taking more and more of them. Next thing you know - the telescreen will be fitted with every TV licence renewal.

The solution to this is not tricky. We need to start building some houses on the 94% of the UK that is not built on.

What isn't addressed by the current system is people who live 10+ plus to a house and only pay the same as 2 people. Regardless of the property value.

That was my point.

It could be worse, you could be in the UK, thinking that's your lot :blink:

Or, even worse, you could be in the one of roughly 180 (190? more?) out of 196 countries that are worse places to live than the UK.

I could quite fancy New Zealand or Canada - possibly France or Italy - after that - I think I prefer it here.

I could quite fancy New Zealand or Canada - possibly France or Italy - after that - I think I prefer it here.

Of course you do. You prefer UK in large part because the printing of pounds since 1970s has overwhelming benefited your generation at the expense of all those coming after. If I bought a house for a few grand years ago I’d prefer it too. You don’t accept that the another ‘half’ have to endure shuffling from one outrageously privately rented property every few years or face ridiculous mortgages precisely because of this situation you benefit from.

Or, even worse, you could be in the one of roughly 180 (190? more?) out of 196 countries that are worse places to live than the UK.

Depends on your circumstances, nowheres ever perfect.

I have friends here that earn around 800 Pounds a month (which is less than their Thai colleagues) as teachers and are way, way better off than if they lived in the UK where there's no work anyway and life is a claustrophobic misery of dominant corrupt government, nasty insecure workplaces and seemingly endless cost. One also has a restaurant here (he's a well to do type from Kendal and loathes the UK, passionately). Another a hotel (a Thai family built for him!) on an island.

All are in their 50's. All have been out here over ten years, some for over twenty years.

The UK's quite shit to be honest. I don't say this with emotion or malice towards the UK, just observation.

I think the British love to tell themselves how lucky they are without knowing much about the rest of the world.

Depends on your circumstances, nowheres ever perfect.

I have friends here that earn around 800 Pounds a month (which is less than their Thai colleagues) as teachers and are way, way better off than if they lived in the UK where there's no work anyway and life is a claustrophobic misery of dominant corrupt government, nasty insecure workplaces and seemingly endless cost. One also has a restaurant here (he's a well to do type from Kendal and loathes the UK, passionately). Another a hotel (a Thai family built for him!) on an island.

All are in their 50's. All have been out here over ten years, some for over twenty years.

The UK's quite shit to be honest. I don't say this with emotion or malice towards the UK, just observation.

I think the British love to tell themselves how lucky they are without knowing much about the rest of the world.

£800 would be more than minimum wage here, which your expected to run a car,buy a house,food........Great living here.

I wonder where Thailand is on that mickey mouse list that some twat has dreamed.

£800 would be more than minimum wage here, which your expected to run a car,buy a house,food........Great living here.

I wonder where Thailand is on that mickey mouse list that some twat has dreamed.

Dunno.

But the Thai national teachers here are on around 50k THB a month. So a thousand quid. 5% tax on around 200k of that a year. Rent a decent 3 bed house for around 4k a month.

Yes. 4k. Not 40k.

The UK's woes are down to housing and land costs and huge f'ing bloated government. That's it.

My bills this month:

Electric - 500

Water - 85

Gas - 40 (est)

Sewerage (a vacuum tanker turns up - 100

Council tax - 0

Rent - 0 (self-build)

Internet - 695

Yes. 4k. Not 40k.

The UK's woes are down to housing and land costs and huge f'ing bloated government. That's it.

I had drinks with a friend who had just returned from the UK.

His parents are elderly and ailing. He was amazed by the care they are getting in Wales. The hospital was happy to send a car to pick them up and brink them to a clinic 100 miles away (at government expense.) He is pleased that his own parents are getting such incredible service, but at the same time, he knows the taxpayers cannot afford to carry on with that sort of wastefulness.

Eventually the governments are going to have to start telling the truth. This is exactly what senior advisor Lee Kuan Yew told Charlie Rose in the interview tonight. Western governments have to start telling the truth to voters: The world they expected has not arrived. The benefits need to be cut (and some drastically!) and taxes will also go up. The good old days are not coming back.

I had drinks with a friend who had just returned from the UK.

His parents are elderly and ailing. He was amazed by the care they are getting in Wales. The hospital was happy to send a car to pick them up and brink them to a clinic 100 miles away (at government expense.) He is pleased that his own parents are getting such incredible service, but at the same time, he knows the taxpayers cannot afford to carry on with that sort of wastefulness.

Eventually the governments are going to have to start telling the truth. This is exactly what senior advisor Lee Kuan Yew told Charlie Rose in the interview tonight. Western governments have to start telling the truth to voters: The world they expected has not arrived. The benefits need to be cut (and some drastically!) and taxes will also go up. The good old days are not coming back.

Yup. And we need to accept terminal illness and death. Palliative care. My grandfather was 91 when he died, in pain and completely senile . . . yet Bath PCT must have spent 250k quid keeping this dying old man alive for 6 months, with endless surgery and chemo and radiotherapy . . . it was cruel.

Not sure taxes can go up. They really need to be axed altogether through a transition period where we go from state intervention and control to self-reliance and family support system, like the East (which of course is impossible with high taxes).

Live free and die.

Dunno.

But the Thai national teachers here are on around 50k THB a month. So a thousand quid. 5% tax on around 200k of that a year. Rent a decent 3 bed house for around 4k a month.

Yes. 4k. Not 40k.

My bills this month:

Electric - 500

Water - 85

Gas - 40 (est)

Sewerage (a vacuum tanker turns up - 100

Council tax - 0

Rent - 0 (self-build)

Internet - 695

Are these figures £'s or THB? I assume THB as internet can't cost £700 per month. If THB this is unbeiveably cheap as £'s would be (assuming £1000 = 50,000thb:-

Electric - £10

Water - £2

Gas - £5 (est)

Sewerage (a vacuum tanker turns up - £2

Council tax - 0

Rent - 0 (self-build)

Internet - £12

Surely these costs aren't correct. Is the 50,000thb = £1000 incorrect?

edit: just checked exchange rate and £1000 is 48k thb so close enough!

The benefits need to be cut (and some drastically!) and taxes will also go up.

& the one benefit that needs to be scrapped in order to cleanse the system is housing benefit. That indirect prop & dole payout for (arguably) Britain's most unworthy, the landlord.

Yes, I know it will cause total chaos, but is slowly chipping away at it any better? - No, I know neither will happen so we are stuck with 'walktothewater's'

another ‘half’ have to endure shuffling from one outrageously privately rented property every few years or face ridiculous mortgages precisely because of this situation you benefit from.

My man would be in killer mode if stuck with such iniquity, never mind having his pet-loathing council tax piled on after income tax has been paid.

. . .

Part of the rebalance will be making Property cheaper- else how can the UK compete?

When the UK is forced to raise rates to protect its weak currency - that's when the deluge will happen.

At the moment the inflation is mostly in import prices, with little showing up in wage packets. Only those in London who have benefitted directly or indirectly from the (artificial?) run-up in stock prices are buying property I reckon. Those, and naive foreigners are buying.

If I've got this wrong, please explain how.

Yup. And we need to accept terminal illness and death. Palliative care. My grandfather was 91 when he died, in pain and completely senile . . . yet Bath PCT must have spent 250k quid keeping this dying old man alive for 6 months, with endless surgery and chemo and radiotherapy . . . it was cruel.

Not sure taxes can go up. They really need to be axed altogether through a transition period where we go from state intervention and control to self-reliance and family support system, like the East (which of course is impossible with high taxes).

Live free and die.

I have heard that 50% of the medical expense incurred on each of us goes into the last 6 months.

Imagine the costs when the boomers hit their maturity dates mostly within the same decade or so.