UK House prices: News & Views

...When I got back, I kept a close watch on the weather to see if it was as bad as I remembered and do you know what, we have the best cross section of weather anywhere in the world I've ever been to. Extreme weather in any capacity has it's draw backs. I'm glad we came home.

My other home is Kenya, while dining outside is one of life's greatest pleasures, it is sometimes more than offset by having to put up with drought, crop failure and expensive / poor access to drinking water. Doubly bad when a large proportion of the power generation capacity is hydro and you get rolling blackouts to accompany it!

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:unsure:

I'm guessing you don't live near us (in Glasgow)? B)

John, if you pick the Glasgow summer (usually one week in May), & then (re the other thread) go to France, you will have two summers each year :D

I'm still wondering why folk don't do a little more research & find those small places with an amazing quality (of life)/price ratio :rolleyes:

John, if you pick the Glasgow summer (usually one week in May), & then (re the other thread) go to France, you will have two summers each year :D

I'm still wondering why folk don't do a little more research & find those small places with an amazing quality (of life)/price ratio :rolleyes:

Give us a list !

They are easier to find in the USA: Places like Greenville SC

Give us a list !

That three minute response time smacks of desperation Bubb! :D

A candle lit dinner of dehydrated, but nicely cooked gazelle doesn't sound too bad... At least there won't be many mozzies around :D

My other home is Kenya, while dining outside is one of life's greatest pleasures, it is sometimes more than offset by having to put up with drought, crop failure and expensive / poor access to drinking water. Doubly bad when a large proportion of the power generation capacity is hydro and you get rolling blackouts to accompany it!

I'm only describing English weather, I've only been up to Scotland a few times. Is it that bad..?

Normally, yes.

I went to Glasgow once and it was sunny whilst I was there. :)

Can you get a grant for further research?

I'm not sure I want one unless it comes with an automatic shotgun. I was put off by the off license I went to in the city centre, where the inside was completely covered in Plexiglas to stop you touching anything. It just had a small teller window so you could receive your booze and pay. Needless to say it didn't set the right image and I haven't been back since... :lol:

Can you get a grant for further research?

I'm not sure I want one unless it comes with an automatic shotgun. I was put off by the off license I went to in the city centre, where the inside was completely covered in Plexiglas to stop you touching anything. It just had a small teller window so you could receive your booze and pay. Needless to say it didn't set the right image and I haven't been back since... :lol:

My partner had a similar shock when he moved in with me.

He still can't believe folk are daft enough to pay council tax & daft property prices for the 'privilege' of living there.

I'll never forget the look on his face after a holiday in Greece in early June when the plane's decent down to Glasgow was through 15 mins of black cloud, to be trapped in a still cold, expensive, alien (to him), world.

Give us a list !

That town has an interesting claim to fame: BMX Pro Town

http://sports.espn.go.com/action/bmx/news/story?id=5852272

Wikipedia link has an interesting table showing the biggest employers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenville,_North_Carolina

# Employer Product Employment

1 Pitt County Memorial Hospital Health Care 6,297

2 East Carolina University Education 4,936

3 Pitt County Public Schools Education 2,940

4 DSM Chemicals 1,100

5 NACCO Materials Handing Group Lift Trucks 1,100

6 County of Pitt Government Administration 922

7 Pitt Community College Education 783

8 City of Greenville Government Administration 704

9 Physicians East Medical Care 500

10 Greenville Utilities Commission Public Utilities 425

11 ASMO Greenville of North Carolina Small Electric Motors 410

12 Wal-Mart Department Store 400

13 Convergys Customer Service Center 400

14 Attends Healthcare Products Adult Incontinence Products 300

15 Karastan-Mohawk Carpet Yarn 270

16 Grady-White Fiberglass Boats 250

I think it highlights the importance of SMEs, there must be a tail to that list hundreds of companies long in a city of 180,000.

That's why you lot are all made from girders...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt_rU-Sh15g

He still can't believe folk are daft enough to pay council tax & daft property prices for the 'privilege' of living there.

I'll never forget the look on his face after a holiday in Greece in early June when the plane's decent down to Glasgow was through 15 mins of black cloud, to be trapped in a still cold, expensive, alien (to him), world.

That town has an interesting claim to fame: BMX Pro Town

http://sports.espn.go.com/action/bmx/news/story?id=5852272

Wikipedia link has an interesting table showing the biggest employers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenville,_North_Carolina

# Employer Product Employment

1 Pitt County Memorial Hospital Health Care 6,297

2 East Carolina University Education 4,936

. . .

I think it highlights the importance of SMEs, there must be a tail to that list hundreds of companies long in a city of 180,000.

Actually, Tallim - That's the "other Greenville" - the (smaller) one in North Carolina:

Greenville, N.C. BMX film to be released

"Pro Town: Greenville," a new BMX documentary produced by former Ride BMX editor and photographer Mark Losey, will be debuting the trailer for the film on Monday, November 29, with a worldwide premiere on January 7, 2011 to follow.

The film, a documentary featuring interviews with BMX pros in the Greenville, N.C. area, depicts how the town grew into a BMX mecca for pros throughout the world.

==== ====

The one I favor is in SOUTH Carolina: SC

It has perhaps "The Best Main Street" in America, and is a good place to start a new business.

More Here: "Golden South" thread:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=14703

No wonder the inhabitants get up to past-times like... Extreme Cycling.

(they may become brilliant at it, or die trying, which would take them elsewhere.)

Who wants a "Walkable community" when you can cycle like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw&vq=medium

Completely agree with Warpig too.

Yes, weather extremes or always the same weather is IMHO worse than a good mix. Rain is what makes the fields and forests so green once the sun is out and the sky is blue again. :)

There are many nice places in this world, and in the past I have lived long enough in the UK to know that there are places of insane beauty. Now I live back in my home country in a place where almost any evening I just have to think to myself how fudging idyllic it is. But still I miss the UK and other places that I have been to every now and then.

It always depends on your circumstances: job, family, age, ...

I'm only describing English weather, I've only been up to Scotland a few times. Is it that bad..? I went to Glasgow once and it was sunny whilst I was there. :)

Really?, That must have been 20th June 2003. We remember that dry day and celebrate it each year. :D

Also the day that the temperature went over 20 deg C is celebrated.

Joking apart, TBH, it's pretty grey and wet most of the time, but when the sun does come out, it's (including the highlands) one of the best places I know.

Also the day that the temperature went over 20 deg C is celebrated.

The days it was -20 C are not. Mid 90s, utter chaos.

Same latitude as Moscow. Average temperature will halve if the gulf stream ceases.

Now there is a good case for renting :)

Rightmove +2.8% LOL.

Couldn't have anything to do with even LOWER mortgage rates, could it?

Report: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/news/files/2011/10/october-2011.pdf

:lol: This is getting silly.

Even I am getting more bearish at the moment.

I think the continuing deterioration in world money markets might just tip the whole thing into a new global depression, if the politicians don't pull their fingers out soon.

I think the continuing deterioration in world money markets might just tip the whole thing into a new global depression, if the politicians don't pull their fingers out soon.

Why not just chop their fingers in situ?

Imagine, the rest of the world dependant upon the stability of UK property prices.

"Brown was a visionary" will say future economics teachers. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am getting bored with it all again. Is it any surprise?

World economic collapse November 10th. Or maybe a bit later, but certainly not before.

:lol: This is getting silly.

Even I am getting more bearish at the moment.

It has sod all to do with the politicians. Interest rates have fallen and the market has priced in ZIRP for at least another 2 years, and this should be enough to sustain current prices and maybe even see a 5-10% rise imo. Mortgage rates are a lot lower now for 85-90% LTV deals than they were a year ago. Eg, you can get 3.99% for an 85% LTV from many lenders, which is around a full 1% cheaper than you could get a year ago, so the relative cost of buying has fallen significantly vs renting.

I don't buy the whole financial armageddon scenario - although if that did happen we'll have a lot more to worry about that just overpriced houses. You've been spending too much time listening to the goldbugs.

It has sod all to do with the politicians. Interest rates have fallen and the market has priced in ZIRP for at least another 2 years, and this should be enough to sustain current prices and maybe even see a 5-10% rise imo. Mortgage rates are a lot lower now for 85-90% LTV deals than they were a year ago. Eg, you can get 3.99% for an 85% LTV from many lenders, which is around a full 1% cheaper than you could get a year ago, so the relative cost of buying has fallen significantly vs renting.

I don't buy the whole financial armageddon scenario - although if that did happen we'll have a lot more to worry about that just overpriced houses. You've been spending too much time listening to the goldbugs.

Oh I don't know. While mortgage rates are indeed cheap as chips, it's the lack of growth, increase in unemployment and the continuing deterioration in the interbank lending that is starting to concern me.

Like it or not, people are getting scared, and this time, it is directly attributable to the dithering politicians. The EU problems are scaring the rest of the world into holding back investment and spending as confidence is eroded. It's afffected growth in the EU and here.

Once they get their act together (which I think they can, if they try), the slow grind out of this mess can continue again. At the moment though, the already slow recovery is slowing dangerously.

Perhaps you should take at the comment section in the Home.co.uk report.

http://www.home.co.uk/asking_price_index/

Inflation is destroying house values in real terms. :o

Like it or not, people are getting scared, and this time, it is directly attributable to the dithering politicians.

All is going according to plan. Their 'dithering' is compulsory.

JD, I laid it all out for you at the bottom of page 161 :D