Does your Mrs

You haven't got any :blink::blink::blink:

Are you freaking crazy ? :blink::blink::blink:

:lol::lol::lol:

Show her this:

Fed_BORROW_080802.gif

We're married. Joint accounts. Nuff said :D

Thanks Steve,

It was actually that graph that has convinced me to pile in. Its a bit of a shocker.

I dipped my toe in with gold in 2006 and wished I'd been more brave then.

I've recently gone up to 7% in Gold & Silver with Gold money (although their fees do add up!!) which is what I agreed with the wife was my limit, but that graph is something else. Still trying to convince her though. Hey.......i'm an honest bloke!

Thanks again for your reply

Barry

Isn't it interesting that most people have absolutely no idea about that chart ?!

They don't read the stuff we do on the internet. They listen to the 6 o'clock news, and hear a few bad things are happening somewhere else.

The sky is not falling, so there can't be anything to worry about.

Who can blame such people for not understanding.

And if you're the sort of person who isn't really interested in this sort of stuff, you're not going to want to plough through pages of boring rubbish.

I suspect most people start off just getting a little idea of what is going on, and just dip a small toe in the gold pond.

That gives them a little confidence, and they learn more, and gradually they increase the % they have in gold.

I still don't know what to say to people who say "what % should I have" other than "it's up to you".

I have got sufficiently confident in the arguments to say "you should have at least 10% in gold". I say "Well worst case if gold halved you'd only lose 5% of your portfolio. Worst case you might lose the 90% and the 10% will save you".

It must be hell for any couple where on partner wants to be well into gold and the other says "no way, none".

At least you have reached a compromise situation, which is good.

Just trying to convince Mrs. scott we should own some gold.

Anyone else 'fess up or do you just blow the family jewels?

Barry

I said the following to my soon-to-be-wife: "I'll stop buying coins, when the banks stop failing". So far she's fine with that, as she's a tad creeped-out by how my opinions/predictions over the past 18 months have been popping up on the news..

as she's a tad creeped-out by how my opinions/predictions over the past 18 months have been popping up on the news..

I still find it utterly bizarre that the economic forums on the Internet are so far ahead of main stream and in most cases economic journalism.

Maybe Mrs Scott would like to read this:

The Beginners Guide to Gold/Silver

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=3757

Steve,

Thats goodstuff. she's starting to listen, she is actually swinging towards physical gold , saying "well if the bank's can go under why can't this Gold Money outfit?"........ err.. has she got a point?

Steve,

Thats goodstuff. she's starting to listen, she is actually swinging towards physical gold , saying "well if the bank's can go under why can't this Gold Money outfit?"........ err.. has she got a point?

She’s not that daft, your missus, is she!

I don't have a wife or any kids, so I don't have to worry about that.

If I were married I would discuss and agree everything (well, most) with the wife.

It's probably only because I'm single that 66% of my savings are physical gold. :o

Steve,

Thanks.

I think there are risks with every solution. There is a vault in Auckland, NZ. Auckland is on the thinnest part of NZ's Earth's crust :huh::blink:

I don't think there is a risk with Gold Money going bust. It could, but if they are telling the truth, they do not own the gold. You do.

From what I have read, I think the worst that could happen in that respect, is that you would lose access to your gold for a while.

But Gold Money is not trading gold. It is just a storage facility, with a system that removes any risk from them.

There may be more risk of gold becoming confiscated. The owning of it could become illegal.

Another risk is a nuclear attack on the vault, and the collapse of the insurer.

Given that there is risk with every solution, my only suggestion is diversification. The more "safe" solutions you can find and use, the lower the potential loss from any one.

Steve,

Also I wonder how GoldMoney could go bust. They don't lend money or gold to people, they just make commission from selling gold. I cannot think of a company less likely to go bust at the moment and as Steve has said they don't own your gold.

Banks are going bust due to their irresponsible lending.

Also I wonder how GoldMoney could go bust...

Just because they are effectively a business that generates 'cash' does not mean that they cannot go bust, for all you know they may have taken on a debt for advertising or to setup their contracts, the directors may be pulling more money out of the company than it is taking in as profit.

If they were to go bust then the allocated gold is stored. The owners of the gold would then be responsible for the fees for either maintenance of storage or delivery after proof of ownership has been obtained. Like any other investment obtaining proof may require a court appearance and payment of court costs to get official recognition.

Is your allocated gold safer than you making a loan to a bank and would you have a greater chance in getting to it, most probably yes.

I still find it utterly bizarre that the economic forums on the Internet are so far ahead of main stream and in most cases economic journalism.

When I went into Uni I was thinking about becoming a journalist but became disillusioned. The failings of main stream media goes way beyond their crappy job regarding the economy, how about the War in Terror / Iraq, 9/11 just for a start. The only reason I watch or read any mainstream media is to gain an idea of what the masses are thinking.

One of the funny things about university (and later travelling) is that it actually made me realise that stereotypes exist for a reason.

Business Admin students are only interested in making money and have little interest in knowledge of anything else.

Law students have no morals (I once heard they were the students most likely to plagiarise or buy essays and dissertations).

Anyone interested in becoming a journalist: middle class, ivory-tower, effeminate indy-dweebs.

I'd say that possibly the most valuable thing I learned while studying was just how retarded 99% of people are. Before then I was naïve and thought every one was doing their best and basically had good intentions.

Reason for edit: Sppelinge.

Law students have no morals ...

just how retarded 99% of people are. Before then I was naïve ...

Are Law students given them when they pass: lol:

On the subject of just how retarded people are I found something similar when I joined the forces instead of working at the local car plant, I was always told that I was stupid and there was no point to me being in school, so I never bothered going. In the forces I met teachers that could actually teach subjects like math and English and realised that I was not stupid just badly taught.

I always thought that the further you get up the tree the more I would find integrity, honest, capability, etc and Oh! how naive was I. It has taken many years but I am now getting better.

When I went into Uni I was thinking about becoming a journalist but became disillusioned. The failings of main stream media goes way beyond their crappy job regarding the economy, how about the War in Terror / Iraq, 9/11 just for a start. The only reason I watch or read any mainstream media is to gain an idea of what the masses are thinking.

Ever considered why mainstream media fail? Some of them might even believe in gold for instance, but surely the main role is to create sensational headlines that people want to hear about or more to the point can understand, let alone believe! Which may in turn suppress the truth or require denial.

Ever considered why mainstream media fail? Some of them might even believe in gold for instance, but surely the main role is to create sensational headlines that people want to hear about or more to the point can understand, let alone believe! Which may in turn suppress the truth or require denial.

Isn't this an area where our society is failing though? 50 years ago there was at least a semblance of honesty in the scribbling of journalists. Today it is more about entertainment, the entertainment of the 99% of retards that Wigler quoted.

Perhaps with some form of automated cross checking, a bit like open source coding where the error, omission and deliberate miscoding are spotted, reported and fixed, the blog and forum could be a or even is already the place of the honest scribble.

Isn't this an area where our society is failing though? 50 years ago there was at least a semblance of honesty in the scribbling of journalists. Today it is more about entertainment, the entertainment of the 99% of retards that Wigler quoted.

Perhaps with some form of automated cross checking, a bit like open source coding where the error, omission and deliberate miscoding are spotted, reported and fixed, the blog and forum could be a or even is already the place of the honest scribble.

Wouldn't disagree. Might be interesting how many on GEI buy a daily paper for instance? Personally i don't, just look at internet version, not only is this thrifty but to be honest other than sports news i find little in them that generally interests( or is that entertains) me for the reason you state, though i'm perhaps kinder to those who don't match wigler's intellectual criteria :lol:

EDIT: But this is a bit off topic.

Wouldn't disagree. Might be interesting how many on GEI buy a daily paper for instance? Personally i don't, just look at internet version, not only is this thrifty but to be honest other than sports news i find little in them that generally interests( or is that entertains) me for the reason you state, though i'm perhaps kinder to those who don't match wigler's intellectual criteria :lol:

EDIT: But this is a bit off topic.

Regarding the 'retarded' remark... sorry I get a bit carried away / passionate once in a while.

As for my own intellectual capacity, if I had been smart I would have anticipated things changing quickly (within a decade) and planned and acted accordingly :huh:

As for the original question. I'm single and browsing. Any future life partner (Don't see the point in getting married) would have to take an interest in money matters. Though I get the feeling a lot of 20-something women will start to take an interest in these things soon enough.

Archived