badhairday

NS&I - best rate for savings?

A month ago, I went to the NS&I website with the intention of opening an account for index linked savings. Just a day later though, the rates were changed so that they were nowhere near as good as the original offer. Do other countries offer NS&I bonds? Are the current rates of the NS&I really any good ? Are there better rates out there? TIA

A month ago, I went to the NS&I website with the intention of opening an account for index linked savings. Just a day later though, the rates were changed so that they were nowhere near as good as the original offer. Do other countries offer NS&I bonds? Are the current rates of the NS&I really any good ? Are there better rates out there? TIA

Yes, the reduction is shocking. I voted with my feet and bought gold with the contents of my NS&I Isa, and as soon as my bonds mature, I might consider the same for them (I got the 1.35% compounded deal). Then again , if you want to remain liquid there are some pretty competitve rates out there right now. (see mottley fool??)

There are better rates out there, but you need to consider the rosk of the bank defaulting and how much of your cash (or when) you will get back. For my core investments (allocated to a future property purchase) I am weighted now heavily towards gold and silver, and about 25% in NSI index linked savings. NSI have a slightly better just out in the last few days with a rate of RPI+0.7%

http://www.nsandi.com/products/ilsc/rates.jsp

Although I know the government heavily manipulates the inflation figures, I figure the RPI is somewhat less manipulated and in any case reflects a certain amount of inflation, so I am somewhat hedging my precious metals in the case of a severe deflation.