drbubb

Lost Mission? - Is HPC's Main Board buried in "noise"?

I have a lot of respect for the opinions of the people over here but I hardly think the site has lost its way. Quite the contrary really, yesterday was a record day in terms of traffic and the site keeps setting new records regularly.

It seems likely to me now that momentum will grow with the site attracting more visitors as the crash becomes more obvious which will be boosted by media commentary like today.

Before we bought the web site I thought if a crash happened it would be over but the reason we went ahead is because we concluded a crash would just be the tipping point on the growth curve and it appears likely now that our prediction was correct and that is the case.

People will always want up to date news and commentary on the state of the housing market and the web site will become even more relevant in bearish conditions that validate its stance than in bullish ones which fail to.

Calling the bottom will be the new game for the smart contrarians on the site and hopefully lots of stories will emerge from patient HPC home buyers who enter the market at more sane valuations and experience a boost in quality of life as a result.

I'd like to extend a warm welcome to you all to please join us in this journey. My view now is the time to get involved and help educate the masses who will now be listening to what you have been saying all along.

On the other hand I am glad that people are calling peak HPC now because I am sure this means that it will never complete its purpose as there is always a debate to be had. I do believe that unless greed and fear die as human emotions and people no longer have a need for fresh information the site will continue to be as relevant as it always has been and I hope also grow in popularity and functionality.

I have a lot of respect for the opinions of the people over here but I hardly think the site has lost its way. Quite the contrary really, yesterday was a record day in terms of traffic and the site keeps setting new records regularly.

It seems likely to me now that momentum will grow with the site attracting more visitors as the crash becomes more obvious which will be boosted by media commentary like today.

Before we bought the web site I thought if a crash happened it would be over but the reason we went ahead is because we concluded a crash would just be the tipping point on the growth curve and it appears likely now that our prediction was correct and that is the case.

Hi Brendan.

Thanks for visiting and posting that. I think you are seeing traffic rising as new people want to visit

and understand what went wrong with the dream of perpetual house price rises.

How long will they stick around, if they see too much posturing? And mods who are being overly touchy.

Maybe they will stick around, but people do tend to get bored after awhile, unless the arguments get

deeper and more knowing.

I still visit because it gives me a sense of what a larger mass of people are saying. And also I posted on

HPC, because I like to see how people raect to some of the intentionally provocative things I will put there.

Often enough, I will make almost the same postings here, on HPC, and on GHPC , and it is interesting to

see how the reactions vary.

People will always want up to date news and commentary on the state of the housing market and the web site will become even more relevant in bearish conditions that validate its stance than in bullish ones which fail to.

Calling the bottom will be the new game for the smart contrarians on the site and hopefully lots of stories will emerge from patient HPC home buyers who enter the market at more sane valuations and experience a boost in quality of life as a result.

Calling the bottom will be an interesting challenge.

Why not open a new section on HPC, called "Understanding the Property Cycle".

That might help people in calling the bottom. I would be happy to make a posting to kick it off,

so long as you alllow a link back here. Not a banner for GEI, just a link back. You might even consider

pinning such a thread. And without wanting to be insulting to the existing mods, you might experiment

with alternative moderation there, like having CGNAO as a moderator, and a different crowd for this

one section. It could be an experiment in testing a new direction.

I'd like to extend a warm welcome to you all to please join us in this journey. My view now is the time to get involved and help educate the masses who will now be listening to what you have been saying all along.

On the other hand I am glad that people are calling peak HPC now because I am sure this means that it will never complete its purpose as there is always a debate to be had. I do believe that unless greed and fear die as human emotions and people no longer have a need for fresh information the site will continue to be as relevant as it always has been and I hope also grow in popularity and functionality.

I have no problem with traffic back-and-forth. Certainly, HPC has a broader audience. It has done a

great job at opening people's eyes to a different way of thinking than they will find in the mainstream media.

I do think some people do tend to garvitate over here when they want to get serious about investing,

because there are many here who are making their living (or an important part of their living) from

investing. An maybe people want to dive a bit more deeply here into some of the issues.

There is room for both sites to thrive

i'll record the date/time when there is an outage. Can't say it's my connection as both at home and at work I've had issues.

There is room for both sites to thrive

Without meaning to be rude, it saddens me to say I don't think GEI will thrive as much as you or I hope it would because not enough people are open minded enough to do things like invest or start their own business. But this isn't necessarily a bad thing as it means we have much higher quality posts and contributions compared to other forums so don't have to read through pages of emotion driven twaddle like you get on HPC.

I'm a lot more interested in business than investing so I hope you could add a business subforum near the top at some point! Then when I get some experience behind me I can start contributing some posts to it :lol:

I'm a lot more interested in business than investing so I hope you could add a business subforum near the top at some point! Then when I get some experience behind me I can start contributing some posts to it :lol:

Good idea.

Start a thread, and if there's enough interest, I will start a new section

In Economics there is what is known as Gresham's law which explains why bad money drives good money away. This fundamental law is often used to describe phenomena beyond economics and here is a good example of it applied to the HPC forum. As Thomas Gresham observed, when bad money is accepted it drives the good money away and out of circulation. This escalates as the supply of bad money increases. An example of this is clipped coins during the Roman Empire.

HPC's good and knowledgeable posters have been driven away by the influx of new posters who have very limited knowledge and who are just jumping on the HPC bandwagon as it gathers speed. Although the influx of these new posters are making the "numbers" look good, as Brandon and the mods keep parroting on about, eventually the quality of the posts deteriorate until the site just collapses.

RIP HPC. Before any collapse there is normally a parabolic move up. Enjoy it.

HPC's good and knowledgeable posters have been driven away by the influx of new posters who have very limited knowledge and who are just jumping on the HPC bandwagon as it gathers speed. Although the influx of these new posters are making the "numbers" look good, as Brandon and the mods keep parroting on about, eventually the quality of the posts deteriorate until the site just collapses.

Does GEI really want to attract huge traffic from GEI?

Maybe Pluto is right, smaller can be better

Old notion of cycles - your would think HPC is in rude health

growthStages.gif

New notion of cycles - parabolic madness can preceed the plunge

trend.jpg

See this early parabola in Silver

Zeal_31_8_07_image002.gif

...eventually the quality of the posts deteriorate until the site just collapses.

The challenge is not unique to HPC.

The fall in audiences for mainstream media, is directly a result of their willingness to dumb-down.

Look what is happening

MK-AP077_CBSjp_20080409190849.gif

Hiring the dim Katie Couric was yet another example.

" Excluding several weeks of her tenure, Ms. Couric never bested the ratings of interim anchor Bob Schieffer, who was named to host the broadcast temporarily after "Evening News" anchor Dan Rather left the newscast in the wake of a discredited report on George W. Bush's National Guard service"

/see: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1207783691...ews_us_business

HPC may be afraid that it is losing its audience

Here's an example:

A mild insult in my direction from one mod,

which I returned with a mild rebuttal- and WHOSH the thread is locked !!

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...30&start=30

Strange and imbalanced behaviour IMHO

When I saw that thread yesterday, it had already been moved to Off-topic, but it wasn't locked, nor does it seem to be locked now.

To the casual observer (e.g. me), the minor tussle between you and The Oldie is just that -- a minor tussle. I didn't take it to have any deeper meaning. HPC may or may not have audience concerns, but I don't see a connection between that and the difference of opinion between you and The Oldie.

To be fair to The Oldie, I think it's not an unreasonable view that you took the thread off-topic. As per The Oldie's own reply:

This thread was about the Halifax March figures. You decided to hijack it, presumably because it had a lot of guests viewing at the time, to tell everyone how clever you are by buying property in Hong Kong. It was your off topic boasting that prompted the yawn, not how much money you may or may not have made. If you read some of the other comments on this thread, you will see that a number of people were irritated by your off topic post.

Perhaps this should just be taken at face value?

HPC just recently seems to be having trouble with trolls and newbies and not being able to tell the difference. :lol:

But for me the quality in the main forum seems to have declined quite a bit.

Gloating over bankrupt BTLers and such gets boring pretty quickly.

HPC just recently seems to be having trouble with trolls and newbies and not being able to tell the difference. :lol:

But for me the quality in the main forum seems to have declined quite a bit.

Gloating over bankrupt BTLers and such gets boring pretty quickly.

I agree; I haven't been a member of HPC for very long. Long enough to benefit from all your advice though. A genuine thank you to you all.

HPC is now full of "playground" gossip, unjustified opinions, and emotional jibes. HPC will reduce to a level similar to moneysavingexpert. As the sheeple are now realising that HPC is happening, they will be "googling", discovering HPC and then logging on in their droves. The conversation will be lowered to mindless twodle.

Thanks GoldFinger for finding a haven for those who have already moved on to the next stage of the HPC story. HPC is yesterdays news, the sensible people are now looking to the wider economy and what the next 3-5 years will bring. Gold at 2000$ ? Maybe!

Rich

To be fair to The Oldie, I think it's not an unreasonable view that you took the thread off-topic. As per The Oldie's own reply:

Perhaps this should just be taken at face value?

That explanation was added much later.

And when I posted my comment, there was alreday another thread (with growing postings)

on the huge price drop.

Is a comparison of UK property with property returns elsewhere OFF TOPIC?

It certainly isnt to global investors, but it may be to "little britain investors"

My whole point has been to stop wasting time with obsessing on UK price moves.

It's obvious that a slide will continue for many, many months. Isnt it better to be open-minded,

and seek better returns elsewhere, wherever that may be

The challenge is not unique to HPC.

The fall in audiences for mainstream media, is directly a result of their willingness to dumb-down.

Look what is happening

MK-AP077_CBSjp_20080409190849.gif

Hiring the dim Katie Couric was yet another example.

" Excluding several weeks of her tenure, Ms. Couric never bested the ratings of interim anchor Bob Schieffer, who was named to host the broadcast temporarily after "Evening News" anchor Dan Rather left the newscast in the wake of a discredited report on George W. Bush's National Guard service"

/see: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1207783691...ews_us_business

Yes, that is another good example of Gresham's law applied to media. Bad programming being initially accepted driving away good programming - initial ratings increase then they decrease until they collapse.

That explanation was added much later.

And when I posted my comment, there was alreday another thread (with growing postings)

on the huge price drop.

Is a comparison of UK property with property returns elsewhere OFF TOPIC?

It certainly isnt to global investors, but it may be to "little britain investors"

My whole point has been to stop wasting time with obsessing on UK price moves.

It's obvious that a slide will continue for many, many months. Isnt it better to be open-minded,

and seek better returns elsewhere, wherever that may be

I can certainly understand where you're coming from, but perhaps you should be mindful of how fragile people and their egos are... ;)

Your post began with:

DONT YOU WISH you'd been investing in Hong Kong property instead ??

It's certainly an attention-grabbing way of opening a post, but I think if you really are hoping to be a power for good and a positive influence on forum members, I can also see how opening a post this way may close some people's eyes and minds rather than opening them.

I'm not criticising -- of course, you're free to write your posts in any way you want to, but certain types and styles of posts are 'asking' to responded to negatively.

If you really want to promote the notion of investing in HK property, it might be better to simply continue providing information on the basis for your view that there'll continue to be growth in that market, rather than to point out how much growth people have already missed out on (but you haven't!) :)

It's certainly an attention-grabbing way of opening a post, but I think if you really are hoping to be a power for good and a positive influence on forum members, I can also see how opening a post this way may close some people's eyes and minds rather than opening them.

I can see why some may not like it.

But on that very noisy board, I reckon that you need to be punchy to get people's attention.

Besides, there was plenty of negative commentary on HPC and elsewhere about Hong Kong, when I first

made the investment. It is useful, I think, to compare results after one year in HK (which is what I did in my charts),

with the year-on-year returns in the UK.

Massaging fragile egos, will do them no good. I leave that to politicians. Those who prefer a massage from Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, to the punchy facts from Dr.Bubb, will wind up with what they deserve.

The negative response that I expected and got, helped to draw out the potential debate. It's a pity that the HPC mods killed it by transferring the thread.

Hi Doc, you are now a threat to hpc as we are, you have swiped members :lol: the-oldie doesn't have a clue about anything especially moderating - hang on, I thought he wasn't a mod any more?, as I explained on ghpc "it is possible to have secondary moderator groups" this would not show up in your profile!!

Hi Doc, you are now a threat to hpc as we are, you have swiped members :lol: the-oldie doesn't have a clue about anything especially moderating - hang on, I thought he wasn't a mod any more?, as I explained on ghpc "it is possible to have secondary moderator groups" this would not show up in your profile!!

Some of the members arent worth swiping,

a few of them are borderline psychos. And one or two have migrated to GHPC, as you may have

noticed on a recent thread.

Things on GEI are rather upbeat thus far, thank dear luck, and maybe some hard work

Well, I think you must've got to The Oldie, DrBubb! His HPC sig now reads:

Has DrBubb lost his way? Is he Supercilious? Or just a two faced devious .......?

I think he's displeased with you! He certainly seems to have 'issues'... :blink:

Well, I think you must've got to The Oldie, DrBubb! His HPC sig now reads:

I think he's displeased with you! He certainly seems to have 'issues'... :blink:

LOL.

On HPC: Those than can do. Those that cannot... moderate

Personally, I still have a lot of time for HPC. Sure, there's whackos, knee-jerks and more than a little narrow mindedness, but you also have some quality posters (Dstars, FP, extradry etc) and a glut of other original contributers who really know what they are talking about. I tend to filter out the rest. Having said that, I see a lot less threads of interest these days. Gei threads are a lot more heterogenous, which is great, although I do admit that some of the stock analysis is still way over my head.

edit: I would like to add, that my current perogative is growing my cash and maximising my income. At some point, I see property investment as one means of doing this. Does that make me BTL scum?

I would like to thank Dr Bubb for helping to educate me in matters financial. He triggered my interest to be a more active investor and I have since done rather well in the last couple of years. I have had 50% gain on RRS (Randgold) in the last few months alone. I am still a long way from total freedom but at least I have a plan now.

I enjoyed posting on HPC in the early days as forums were totally new to me and it was great to spar with people such as BBB and KOTC, I still think the concept of property as an investment is morally rerehensible and the damage property investors have casued and are still casuing is immense. The extreme stance people sometimes take on an anonymous forum has to be taken into account, I cant imagine many of the posters would be so arrogant in a face to face conversation. Then again I get the vibe that there are a few people with serious issues who post there.

I think now however there is too much noise on HPC and not enough substance, personally I would be happy to pay for content if it was of some value to me. A forum needs critical mass to function, too many posters is as bad as too few. The sad thing is that perhaps HPC was never an altrusitic endevour but a ploy to make money I would be interested to know how much it was sold for.