stevecook172001

Farmland: Looking to buy somewhere in Europe

Hello. I am new to this forum.

I recently sold my house and have released the capital. I am now renting. I am looking to buy land somewhere in Europe. The UK looks pretty much out of the question given the land prices here.

Without going into too much detail and boring all of you with stuff I am sure you are already fully acquainted with, my central thesis is that we hit peak energy in 2005 and are now probably coming off the top of that peak. In due course, over the next few years, the only and final commodity that will retain and improve on its value is land. It will just come down to the simple facts/economics of food. I wish to purchase land for myself and my family while there is still time.

Anybody know where there there is the cheapest farmland in Europe? Bearing in mind socio/economic factors as well. In other words, how stable do you think any given part of Europe is likely to be over the coming decades?

Grateful for any advice

Steve

= =

(Note: Timely thread. I changed the title, to give it wider interest. I hope you dont mind- DrB )

As an addition to the above. I am seriously considering the possibility of trying to set up a fighting fund whereby a number of like minded people pool their purchasing power and buy a large land section outright and then split it up into smaller plots that each will then own independantly and outright.

Anyone interested in discussing such an idea?

Steve

As an addition to the above. I am seriously considering the possibility of trying to set up a fighting fund whereby a number of like minded people pool their purchasing power and buy a large land section outright and then split it up into smaller plots that each will then own independantly and outright.

Steve

Possibly - whats the plan? i.e. how much, what type and where? Have considered investing directly in agricultural enterprises (see Agric thread) but not sure thats the best way to go. My current favourite agricultural investment theme is via HOGS.L and CATL.L - also see thread in Agric section.

Steve

Hmm a farmland sindicat.....sounds interesting. Where? Would the land be rented out to farmers or do we organise that too?

Hello. I am new to this forum.

I recently sold my house and have released the capital. I am now renting. I am looking to buy land somewhere in Europe. The UK looks pretty much out of the question given the land prices here.

Without going into too much detail and boring all of you with stuff I am sure you are already fully acquainted with, my central thesis is that we hit peak energy in 2005 and are now probably coming off the top of that peak. In due course, over the next few years, the only and final commodity that will retain and improve on its value is land. It will just come down to the simple facts/economics of food. I wish to purchase land for myself and my family while there is still time.

Anybody know where there there is the cheapest farmland in Europe? Bearing in mind socio/economic factors as well. In other words, how stable do you think any given part of Europe is likely to be over the coming decades?

Grateful for any advice

Steve

Perhaps an established commune or kibutz type thing to start you off.

Where ever you go unless you know whats what you will be at a disadvantage.

btw Anything smaller then bout 100-150 acres in the uk these days is a hobby farm-excluding the intensive units and friut

Not wishing to be too doom-laden, but land maybe the biggest bubble ridden commodity of all. Check out 'Boom Bust: House Prices, Banking and the Depression of 2010', it has some interesting info on land price cycles.

A reasonable thesis, but do be careful.

Someone said this:

"Land allows you to transform petroleum into food."

The location of the land, and its relationship to sources of energy, will matter a great deal.

Also, if food prices skyrocket, we afre bound to see price controls

Steve

Steve, I am thinking about something similar myself. I speak Russian (studied in Moldova some years ago) so I am looking at Slovakia/ Eastern-Poland/ Western-Ukraine/ Moldova. Slovakia and Poland are in the EU now so this is easier but visa restrictions have been lifted in Moldova and the Ukraine so they are much more accessible. My plan is to buy a modest house and some land and do the self-sufficiency shuffle. I have an engineering background and am particularly interested in matching the comfort and convenience of ‘modern’ living using a combination of wood, solar and wind energy. I am motivated by a strong sense of independence and find the UK to be an uncomfortable place to live.

I sold last Summer and am keen to use some of my funds before it all gets eaten by inflation -I have bought some gold of course ;)

It is impossible to look ahead and second-guess political stability but – I would put the UK as potentially one of the riskiest. Social unrest due to the huge drop in living standards which will inevitably occur, coupled with a rapidly growing muslim population does not bode well.

Eastern Europe has a standard of living which is about right for what they produce but I believe the future looks promising due to the high standard of education (proper science and engineering not ‘ologies’), work-ethic and social cohesion.

I am off in a month or so for a look around – I have some friends and acquaintances dotted about Eastern Europe so I will be asking their opinions/advice.

Steve

Steve, I am thinking about something similar myself. I speak Russian (studied in Moldova some years ago) so I am looking at Slovakia/ Eastern-Poland/ Western-Ukraine/ Moldova. Slovakia and Poland are in the EU now so this is easier but visa restrictions have been lifted in Moldova and the Ukraine so they are much more accessible. My plan is to buy a modest house and some land and do the self-sufficiency shuffle. I have an engineering background and am particularly interested in matching the comfort and convenience of ‘modern’ living using a combination of wood, solar and wind energy. I am motivated by a strong sense of independence and find the UK to be an uncomfortable place to live.

I sold last Summer and am keen to use some of my funds before it all gets eaten by inflation -I have bought some gold of course ;)

Good idea, but you may want to wait a bit.

I reckon that property and land prices acroos Europe will come down as the Bubble deflates in UK Property.

Too much money has been invested from the UK, and as people in the UK get into financial trouble, they will

be forced to sell some of those investments. I think this selling pressure will notr be something those markets

can stand without some serious price drops.

The BTL brigade went crazy, with all that easy money behind them, and te UK bubble was exported to many

European countrues.

Good idea, but you may want to wait a bit.

I reckon that property and land prices acroos Europe will come down as the Bubble deflates in UK Property.

Too much money has been invested from the UK, and as people in the UK get into financial trouble, they will

be forced to sell some of those investments. I think this selling pressure will notr be something those markets

can stand without some serious price drops.

The BTL brigade went crazy, with all that easy money behind them, and te UK bubble was exported to many

European countrues.

I agree DrBubb but I think this is going to affect the Brit ghettoes in Spain and France. The areas I am interested in are a long way from that nonsense but interestingly, the returning Polish migrant workers have had an effect already on property prices in the cities in Poland. Fortunately, the countryside is not of interest to young people (yet) and prices for agricultural land are low. Having already travelled in the Carpathians, I can say it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited and even better - very few people :rolleyes:

Having already travelled in the Carpathians, I can say it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited

and even better - very few people :rolleyes:

hMMM.

I'm an investor in something called Carpathian Gold (CPN.v),

so maybe I should visit someday

Steve,

This idea is right up my street. Eastern Europe has great potential - Poland is geographically well located and, although land prices have already risen, they're still lower than neighbouring Germany. Belarus (Belorussia) also has potential but is riskier and more difficult to get involved in for now. Slovakia - maybe? A slight niggle on the 'East' is the relatively harsh winters - further West gets better year-round weather.

Paying a fair price is just one issue - I think the key is to make the land generate income a.s.a.p. - If it does and land prices tank in a deflationary recession/depression then there's no real problem provided any leverage is not out of hand (ideally none). Another useful thing about Eastern Europe is the labour supply cost compared to further West. With good research, economy of scale (achievable with your approach), sensible, like-minded buyers) and a professional farm manager I think it is possible to make an investment like this relatively low risk as food is always useful.

Another point - To hedge a deal like this I'd consider leasing a large proportion of the land with an option to buy - A good contract and a small premium in these uncertain times could help. Capital spent on productivity or kept in reserve should be relatively safe from inflation if you've locked in the purchasing option.

An alternative location I'd consider is Northern Africa (Close enough to the EU markets and with potential) - or anywhere else if someone has a bright idea. (Further from Europe there's the Pacific Rim countries that are well located for Asia. I am in touch with a person interested in farming a large tract of land they're keen to cultivate bamboo on for construction materials (fast growing crop and robust)) - I wouldn't go all in on that one due to it distant location and complications with land ownership laws but I would definitely consider a side investment in partnership with any like minded folk as there are some interesting geographic and infrastructure benefits. That aside, anything in or near Europe would interest me on a larger scale.

If you and/or anyone else is really serious about moving on something like this then I'm keen to consider it too.

Hello folks. I have been away from this forum for a while and have only just checked in on this thread. Thank you for all your replies. I am now going to carefully read throgh all of them in turn and get some replies to you.

Once again, in advance, thank your for your response.

Steve