Gold as money - http://www.321gold.com/editorials/saville/saville091410.html

Looking ahead, is it possible that gold will, again, be money?

The answer is yes. Gold is actually better suited to being money today than it ever has been in the past, thanks to technology that allows gold ownership to simply and instantly be transferred without the need to physically move bullion.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Gold as money - http://www.321gold.com/editorials/saville/saville091410.html

Looking ahead, is it possible that gold will, again, be money?

The answer is yes. Gold is actually better suited to being money today than it ever has been in the past, thanks to technology that allows gold ownership to simply and instantly be transferred without the need to physically move bullion.

HI Errol,

If I am not wrong you have been buying since year 2000. Did you read Thoughts of Another that prompted you to buy? How did you start?

HI Errol,

If I am not wrong you have been buying since year 2000. Did you read Thoughts of Another that prompted you to buy? How did you start?

I was much younger then (obviously). It was reading Schiff and Jim Sinclair that got me thinking. Both have proved absolutely correct.

interesting article about testing gold for fakes. Good if your new to gold.

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/0/563/Real_...Difference.html

I have the fisch, it is very simple & very good. Ken is still shipping them....

combined with the ring test........

most bullion traders I am told can spot fakes 99% of the time, I would not be able to do that by touch/eye.

"Gold hasn't broken out to new highs in Euro and Pound."

But consider that the highs we saw in Euro and Pound a while back were the result of those currencies weakening drastically against the dollar [and gold] at the time during the "Euro crisis". The highs were really just registering temporary currency weakness.

Gold still hasn't reached previous highs in Aussie and Kiwi, which were once again just currency weakness.... as capital moved from the periphery to the centre.

Accordingly, the US dollar price is the one to watch, which looks to be a steady rise here and not overdone.

vb-1.gif

"Gold hasn't broken out to new highs in Euro and Pound."

But consider that the highs we saw in Euro and Pound a while back were the result of those currencies weakening drastically against the dollar [and gold] at the time during the "Euro crisis". The highs were really just registering temporary currency weakness.

:blink: Dude you seriously need to reexamine your ideas about the world and the currencies in it.

:blink: Dude you seriously need to reexamine your ideas about the world and the currencies in it.

And maybe you could give it a little more thought?

What I'm saying is some might question this rise in gold against the US dollar, because it is not being "confirmed" in new highs against currencies such as Pound and Euro.

But when you consider the previous gold highs in Pound are Euro were a result of the "Euro crisis", then those highs were reflecting a relative weakening of those currencies at that time against such currencies as dollar, Yen and gold. Subsequently those currencies recovered [and didn't collapse as many were worried about].

This is why that even though the gold price in Pound and Euro is high, it is not at its all time highs.... yet. It shouldn't take long for gold to take out new highs in both Pound and Euro also.... and Kiwi and Aussie, perhaps at a later date on a renewal of the crisis.

This is why the price for investors to watch is the US dollar one. Other prices are much less relevant.

Chill.

z.gif

a-1.gif

Which of these two questions is easier to answer?

1. What is the maximum possible price of gold in US$?

2. What is the lowest possible price of the US$ in gold?

Well, that's a suggestive post.

1. Infinity

2. Unknown, but something greater than zero.

Realistbear contra-indicator alert on HPC.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...howtopic=151192

RB I am remaining in cash waiting for a cheap house to buy then I am not going to worry about investing.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

What's a bit sad is that if RB had put his STR fund into gold when he STR'd in 2004 (?), he'd have his house by now.

Oh well. I'm glad he's still posting, even if I don't agree with his gold position.

interesting.....

http://seekingalpha.com/article/225579-con...et-gold-hearing

"Just as the government is trying to prevent people from investing in anything other than T-Bills by raising taxes on taxable interest and dividends to confiscatory levels, it's also trying to prevent you from parking your wealth in assets, like gold, that compete with the paper dollars issued by the Federal Reserve and the Treasury. A press release from Rep. Anthony Weiner, Democrat of New York, not yet (as of this instant) posted on Mr. Weiner's Web site, announces that a September 23 hearing of the Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection (a subcommittee of Rep. Henry Waxman's Commerce Committee) will focus on "legislation that would regulate gold-selling companies, an industry who's [sic] relentless advertising is now staple of cable television."

From the press release: "Under Rep. Weiner's bill, companies like Goldline would be required to disclose the reasonable resale value of items being sold." That's great. Are Mr. Weiner and Chairman Bernanke also going to agree to print on every dollar the reasonable expectation that its value will be eroded by inflation?"

following on...

I think someone's worried:

http://www.weiner.house.gov/news_display.aspx?id=1456

I have read that this company goldline has sold some gold coins to buyers which are not the standard gold coins. Mostly numismatics which have a significant high cost due to their rarity, but wont sell easily.

BIG NEWS FOLKS!!!

Anglo Gold Ashanti is zeroing it's hedge book: no forward sales. (just like Barrick did).

http://moneyweb.co.za/mw/view/mw/en/page29...&pid=287226

Special report podcast: Mark Cutifani - CEO, AngloGold Ashanti

15 September 2010 23:01

BARRY SERGEANT: I'm in conversation with Mark Cutifani, chief executive of AngloGold Ashanti. Mark overnight your company has made a very important announcement regarding a further attack on the AngloGold Ashanti hedge book which at this stage is probably the biggest left in the global gold sector. That has come down from around six million ounces in 2008 to 2.7 million ounces as of 14 September 2010. You are going to be taking the hedge book down to roughly zero early next year and there are three elements as to the funding - there's an equity offering, a convertible bond offering and a debt raising - those three will raise $1.4billion. Do you want to talk us through those?