Due to get some more gold, when prices near 800 / 1000 gbp im gonna back off i think..

whats your levelling off price guys?

Also off topic , but wheres a good place to buy palladium in uk ?

Have you looked at Baird's? I bought some from them in Jan 2009 an got good service:

http://www.goldline.co.uk/investmentBarsPage.page

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

According to the Sinclair model, gold is pretty darn cheap here.

There are two ways the "equilibrium" can be restored, right? Besides the price of gold increasing to meet all the "money creation", the debt can be written off. The most probable outcome will be a mix of the two [which would not make gold look quite so cheap in dollar terms], combining [external] debt deflation with inflation in the price of gold.

Any true "equilibrium' between gold and money would have to involve a renewal of a gold standard.

Venezuela will slash value of currency, the bolivar

Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez has announced that the national currency, the bolivar, will be devalued for the first time since 2005, by at least 17%.

The bolivar, whose rate is set by government decree, will be devalued from its current rate of 2.15 to the US dollar to 2.60 for "priority" imports. However, the bolivar will be worth 4.30 to the dollar, a 50% devaluation, for items considered non-essential.

Mr Chavez was under pressure to devalue to boost revenue from oil exports. The country is currently facing 25% inflation, as well as reduced foreign earnings. However, the bolivar is far more devalued on the parallel, unofficial currency market where it trades at rates as high as six bolivars to a US dollar.

Food and health care imports, and the public sector will be able to take advantage of the lower of the two official rates.

However, cars, chemicals, petrochemical and electronics will be charged at the higher rate.

President Chavez said that the two official rates would have the effect of "limiting imports that are not strictly necessary and stimulating export policy".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8449721.stm

Venezuela will slash value of currency, the bolivar

Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez has announced that the national currency, the bolivar, will be devalued for the first time since 2005, by at least 17%.

This is of course the newer/improved Bolivar.

The old one was worth 17 to the $ iirc when I lived there in the mid-80s, just after a huge devaluation.

Some years later i saw it was circa 170!

Isla Margarita suddenly looks very appealing again. Great climate. No hurricanes. Cheap living. Far less chance of being terminated than in Caracas.

EDIT:- Just found the difference between the two Bolivars ........... three zeros!

Gold - just shot up $15

I just woke up here in HK to see Gold has shot up to $1153, maybe higher

t24_au_en_usoz_home.gif

I will investigate...

1/

US Slaps Tariff on China; Gold Price Jumps

Seeking Alpha (blog) - ‎14 hours ago‎

Back in September, I wrote a commentary in which I linked US tariffs against Chinese pipe imports to the surge in the price of gold (“Has Trade-War Started ...

2/

IAF strike kills three Gaza militants posed to fire rockets

Ha'aretz - ‎2 hours ago‎

By News Agencies and Haaretz Service An Israel Air Force strike in the central Gaza Strip on Sunday killed three Palestinian militants, including a senior field commander, hours after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed a "powerful response" to any ...

3/

California Earthquake Good Practice for Tsunami

Discovery News - Michael Reilly - ‎40 minutes ago‎

Saturday afternoon, residents of northern California were violently shaken by a magnitude 6.5 earthquake not far offshore in the Pacific Ocean.

Early days yet. Gold is just as likely to slowly rise as slowly fall in the immediate term... before the big dip. This could be a few months away yet. I like to think of what gold will do in real time, not whether it will go up or down in the abstract/ perma-present. It goes without saying that gold is going to 2000/3000 but this could be a good few years away imo.

I recently bought some silver half expecting one last wave up here [even though I expect gold to revisit 900 handle at later date] . Nice little profit on this trade so far.:P

maybe:

Moody's says Portugal's rating threatened - FT report

11 Jan 2010 - 00:13

LONDON, Jan 11 (Reuters) - Moody's may downgrade Portugal's credit rating unless it takes credible measures to control its deficit, the Financial Times newspaper quoted a senior analyst with the ratings agency as saying on Monday.

"If Portugal wants to avoid a downgrade, it is going to have to take meaningful, credible steps to get the deficit under control," Anthony Thomas, a senior sovereign risk analyst with Moody's was reported as saying.

Gold - just shot up $15

1/

Back in September, I wrote a commentary in which I linked US tariffs against Chinese pipe imports to the surge in the price of gold (“Has Trade-War Started ...

Maybe the Chinese decided to "send a message" to Washington, using the Gold price

Venezuela, another (hyper-)deflation in Southamerica?

Oh, wait!

Yes, it really is inflation - as is in 99% (or more?) of all cases.

EDIT: Sorry, RH, I have to do this! :rolleyes:

lol

Why not distinguish between peripheral and central currencies? What happens in minor peripheral currnencies is hardly significant and might indeed have the opposite effect in the central ones, which become relatively stronger. Also, currency devaluation [by decree] is hardly hyper-inflation is it? This is what happened in the great depression, currencies were devalued against each-other. It might make imports more expensive in the short term... but would have the effect of stimulating exports, with the population exporting more and importing less. In a deflation, what is good for the economy is "bad" for the currency, and vice-versa.

With the global economy in mind, what is happening in peripheral economies suggests a deflationary depression to me.

My hyper-deflationary thesis incorporates the depreciation of peripheral currencies.... which is why I'd be more concerned having my savings in NZ dollars, or Korean Won rather than gold and US dollars. The "hyper" refers to currency depreciation, peripheral ones against central ones, and perhaps central ones against gold, silver. Depreciated currencies will remain valuable for the population, and against local assets, as assets will also depreciate in value as money becomes scarce [continued credit/ debt deflation]. This is not hyper-inflationary, where currency becomes super-abundant and it's value destroyed.

we could well see gold eventually testing the 900 handle.

:lol::lol:

yeah good luck with that RH. Your predictions are on my list inbetween Realist Bear & Ker. ;)

hey IRS,

it's like watching financial car crash tv stuff in super sloooooooooooooooow motion isn't it. People apparently trading metals instead of buying physical & holding it. Always they seem to buy low & sell high though, they must be very clever. ;)

Boy are they going to be very sorry soon.........

Gold - just shot up $15

I just woke up here in HK to see Gold has shot up to $1153, maybe higher

t24_au_en_usoz_home.gif

I will investigate...

1/

2/

IAF strike kills three Gaza militants posed to fire rockets

Ha'aretz - ‎2 hours ago‎

By News Agencies and Haaretz Service An Israel Air Force strike in the central Gaza Strip on Sunday killed three Palestinian militants, including a senior field commander, hours after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed a "powerful response" to any ...

3/

California Earthquake Good Practice for Tsunami

Discovery News - Michael Reilly - ‎40 minutes ago‎

Saturday afternoon, residents of northern California were violently shaken by a magnitude 6.5 earthquake not far offshore in the Pacific Ocean.

Gold up in all currencies. But also oil jumped similarly.

It is strange because the rise started and ended so suddenly.

it's like watching financial car crash tv stuff in super sloooooooooooooooow motion isn't it. People apparently trading metals instead of buying physical & holding it. Always they seem to buy low & sell high though, they must be very clever. ;)

Boy are they going to be very sorry soon.........

I'm not really a short term trader. If I trade currencies, it is mostly very infrequently and on the big moves [still to come].

My record has been pretty good so far with currencies:

Bought gold and silver when they were cheaper.

Bought Yen when it was cheaper [subsequently swapped for dollars].

Bought US dollars at the bottom.

If we get one last wave up here in the markets, we could see the gold/silver ratio nearing 50 [now 61] at which point I'd trade my silver for gold, considering profits taken.