Pixel8r, embarrassing question from the back of the class but, I'm sure I read somewhere that the big commercial shorts can leave their positions open almost ad-infinitum. Why would they be in a panic to cover them now?

Note to self - Try and pay attention.

It is that physical gold is now being demanded rather than paper, so although they can roll on their paper shorts they still need to deliver, but can't.

This is a physical short squeeze when paper shorts realise their game is up.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

GATA Chairman Bill Murphy's appearance last night on Bernie Lo's "Asia Confidential" program on Bloomberg Television has been posted at YouTube in three parts. I haven't listened yet.

Seen Bill on Bernie Lo this AM and had to pinch myself. I think it lasted about half an hour. On BBC breakfast TV they also had a piece about the strengthening pog.

Moving to the mainstream ?

Bill has been ignored by the MSM for years while GATA has been correct for years, It's about time they realised and gave him some airtime. Trouble is he is just put down as a conspiracy theorist, which you can only remain the case for a few years when he is continually right.

Go GATA :D

Monday is options expiry day. The cartel will try to take the price down as far as is possible, but the thing is that they are losing the ability to do so, I believe, now that china and others are buying at any opportunity the cartel present. At some point the cartel has to let the price run, how much physical gold can they keep letting asia have cheap?

I think, and this is just my opinion, that there is a commercial signal failure going on currently. Due to the fact that the paper shorts are now being called to deliver physical, which is now in very short supply, and they can't. I expect that today after the cartels plan A action this morning the price will rise this afternoon to higher than it started, but I could be wrong.

The last week or so each time they take the price down, it has been springing straight back up. As I was saying at some point they will need to be buying in a rising market to cover their shorts before Monday. That is why I think the price will go up this afternoon to more than it has fallen.

BTW I think silver has also joined the party now.

It's good being right for once, every fool has his day I guess :P

What Will Drive The Gold Price In The Days Ahead?

By: Julian D. W. Phillips, Gold/Silver Forecaster - Global Watch - GoldForecaster.com

Gold is higher than ever before and is still climbing. Many investors are waiting for a fall in the gold price, because they are looking at the past market shape, that has not factored in the major sea-change in the shape of demand. Even many institutional analysts have not realized just what has happened to the market and turn only to their charts to decipher the next moves. You our subscribers, we hope, have realized from our writing and forecasts that a great deal more is still to come in this gold market in the years to come.

The impact of I.M.F. Sales of Gold on the gold price

Essentially there has been a leap in the evolution of the gold market, due to the I.M.F. sales of gold. For a couple of years the pending sale of 403.3 tonnes was seen as an overhang on the market and one that pointed to the days when gold’s price would peak. But the reverse has occurred once the first portion of the 403.3 tonnes sale was announced. We are waiting for further announcements on the third tranche of 201.3 tonnes. Please note that India indicated it would be an ongoing buyer of gold from the I.M.F. Mauritius is happy with its 2 tonnes.

However, if this is another central bank and not Russia or China the market will again be surprised and take the gold price even higher. China will have the same impact, with all eyes on the quantity it buys. This is because of the tide of central bank’s changing attitude to gold expressed in the action of buying gold, has not yet been fully accepted by the market place and monetary analysts. To do so would also herald as well as define dropping confidence in the U.S. $ and other paper currencies. Monetary authorities will fight this all the way, even in the face of gold buying by central banks.....

Anyone thinking of selling some in this rally?

Well I certainly wouldn't go selling a core position or anything like that.

A massive thanks to cgnao, G0ldfinger, frizzers, Dr Bubb et al who all got me on to the Gold rocket early. For any small retail investor who is trying maintain his/her standard of living I would say trying to time or trade this market is unwise. If the last 12 months have taught us anything it is that buy and hold is most certainly NOT dead where gold is concerned. Those who tried to get clever trading into USD waiting for "the dip" have just missed out on the last 15-20% move by being unimpressed.

Psychologically its difficult but keep accumulating even at these all time highs!

Gold Contrarians Will Get Killed

by Jordan Roy-Byrne, CMT, Trendsman.com | November 20, 2009

Does it look like the Gold market is anywhere remotely close to a bubble? Apparently, the bubble callers and crowded trade folks haven’t done their research. Doesn’t look crowded to me.

Even if a few more people own gold, my bet is that they don’t own enough of it. Gold is under-owned. John Paulson, the great hedge fund manager is pretty bullish on Gold, but he doesn’t own much more than 10% in his fund. (Perhaps that is why he’s starting a Gold fund). Dennis Gartman, I believe only owns around 5% (He’s said so on television). Months ago, Steve Leuthold was on Bloomberg and he was bullish on Gold but said he only owned 1-2%. A time ago, most folks would have 10% of their worth in Gold, whether it was in a bull market or not. Most people who own gold investments, don’t own enough.

Moving along, it is important to understand the technical ramifications of Gold’s move past $1000/oz. A market that breaks free from a multi-decade base is a market that shoots much much higher. There are numerous examples of this but we’ll discuss only two.

http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editoria.../2009/1120.html

This is a big story IMO, Paulson is personally putting 250 Million into this fund, so the fund is going to grow to billions, which is going into holes in the ground.

Paulson & Co. to launch gold fund

More on Paulson's new gold fund to be launched in January, which should help many gold shares.

Paulson: Gold's Bull Run Is Just Beginning

By Simon Avery | November 19, 2009

John Paulson, lionized by many investors for his winning bet on the fall of the housing and financial markets, is now getting aboard the gold wagon.

The hedge fund manager told his investors that even at $1,150 an ounce, the bull run on gold is just beginning, according to the Wall Street Journal.

His firm, Paulson & Co., plans to launch a fund January 1st dedicated to gold mining shares and other bullion related investments, the newspaper reported.

Mr. Paulson, who is estimated to be worth about $6 billion. His bet against real estate and banks between 2007 and 2009 reportedly netted his hedge fund about $20 billion.

On Thursday, the World Gold Council reported that demand for the precious metal increased 10% in the third quarter from the previous three month period, driven by investors looking for a currency hedge and more jewelery purchases.

The price of an ounce of bullion fell for the first time in five days on Thursday, reined in by a stronger U.S. currency, which rose against the loonie, the euro and the yen.

What Will Drive The Gold Price In The Days Ahead?

By: Julian D. W. Phillips, Gold/Silver Forecaster - Global Watch - GoldForecaster.com

Pix you are doing a fantastic job collating all this gold news on here. Really helping me keep focused and ignoring the gold bubble top callers. Keep up the good work! Much thanks.

Pix you are doing a fantastic job collating all this gold news on here. Really helping me keep focused and ignoring the gold bubble top callers. Keep up the good work! Much thanks.

Thanks it's nice to be appreciated by some on here, after being told I just spread misinformation and have school boy fantasies. Can't please everyone I guess. :lol:

Vietnam to import 6 tonnes gold this month -State TV

Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52am EST

HANOI, Nov 19 (Reuters) – Vietnam will import 6 tonnes of gold this month, state broadcaster VTV said on Thursday, after the central bank last week lifted a ban on imports to stabilise an overheating market.

So far, 1.5 tonnes had been imported, 500 kg each by Sacombank STB.HM, ACB ACB.NM and Eximbank EIB.HM.

Saigon Jewellery Corp (SJC) will import 1 tonne, and 500 kg being imported by Agribank Jewellery Company will arrive in a few days, the VTV 1 Financial bulletin said. (Reporting by Nguyen Nhat Lam and John Ruwitch)