Yes - but in what regard do you want your opinion to be held? You certainly like to share your opinions throughout this forum - why?

My point is a lot of your opinion doesn't differ, as you describe, from ST's - and you'd realize that if you actually chose to take a look at, what you feel obliged to judge over, with a reasonable effort. 

I thought you might appreciate ST's approach - particularly pyramiding buys and sells and the reasons why that likely makes sense in this investing/trading environment.

The only point I really agreed with him on in that article, was at the end where he said something about how the Fed is trying to shepherd money into stocks. Though on the surface we might have something in common [possible lower prices], I have a fundamentally different view and approach to him [as you must know if you've read my posts this past year]. I do not see hyper-inflation, I think it is nuts to trade gold [hat tip to gf here.... though I will "trade" - hedge actually - silver]. I do not consider [real] profits to be taken in any currency besides gold.

I like to share my opinion, in order to see it rationally criticized so that I might add and improve to it, or reject something.... I consider it a work in progress. Knives sharpening knives kind of thing... perhaps an unfortunate analogy. :lol:

If we all had the same opinion here, wouldn't this forum be the poorer for it?

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

RH

The idea surely is to attempt to see the other persons point of view as if you were sitting where they sit rather than dominate by force of personality?

Yes, you should see the logic of the other position. Isn't this an example of that [in regard to the gold bug position]?

Of course, if he really thinks currencies as so vulnerable to hyper-inflation, doesn't it just make sense to get "all out" of fiat into hard assets then sit back and wait for the..... rapture? Though I can see why he continues to trade as he sees this event playing out in the future. Still, in this "worldview", there is quite a bit of risk hanging over currencies and I can understand why the bugs want to be "all in".

Noticed a cool chart in an article I was reading today, the relative gold chart shows we are far from overbought in gold currently.

Taken from;

Juniors Poised for Historic Bull Run By: Eric Hommelberg

I like stuff that I can actually stick into my own PM spreadsheet -- which I have done in the case of rGold (both for USD and GBP)... although I am starting to run out of colours for all the little wiggly lines... ;)

The only point I really agreed with him on in that article, was at the end where he said something about how the Fed is trying to shepherd money into stocks. Though on the surface we might have some them in common [possible lower prices], I have a fundamentally different approach to him [as you must know if you've read my posts this past year]. I do not see hyper-inflation, I think it is nuts to trade gold [hat tip to gf here.... though I will "trade" - hedge actually - silver]. I do not consider [real] profits to be taken in any currency besides gold.

No, I realize you opinions re. hyper,inf',defl',etc differ - I said:

My point is a lot of your opinion doesn't differ, as you describe, from ST's - and you'd realize that if you actually chose to take a look at, what you feel obliged to judge over, with a reasonable effort.

IE all of this you posted:

Here is one of the basic principles of investment; don't buy into strength, yet I wonder if it is simple as that. Shouldn't we first be asking ourselves; how much gold do I own.? How much should I own? And how much am I comfortable with owning? Concrete circumstances often trump abstract principles and I'd say that if you didn't own any gold, or only a little, you should be buying some [building a position] irrespective of the price [who knows it could possible go higher]. That said, I'd also say if you owned 100% gold, you could sell a little, not to trade, but to build a cash hedge against possible lower prices. If you are comfortable with the amount you own, you wouldn'y buy, and certainly wouldn't sell. If the intended audience is goldbugs maybe I am knit-picking here.

I like to share my opinion, in order to see it rationally criticized so that I might add and improve to it. Knives sharpening knives kind of thing... perhaps an unfortunate analogy. :lol:

If we all had the same opinion here, wouldn't this forum be the poorer for it?

Is any one asking you to have the same opinion? It's the quality of opinion that sets the quality of the forum.

I don't think you'll find ST fits with most definitions of a Gold Bug - if you look into what he actually says. You seem to be actively trying to tar people with your (mocking) 'gold bug' brush...

Yes, you should see the logic of the other position. Isn't this an example of that [in regard to the gold bug position]?

Is that your text? If so it seems you are attacking the 'world view' but what is your reason for the attack?

You are saying it makes no sense not to be all in but given the 'world view' it makes sense.

Is that your text? If so it seems you are attacking the 'world view' but what is your reason for the attack?

You are saying it makes no sense not to be all in but given the 'world view' it makes sense.

Looking at the coherency of the world view of hyper-inflation combined with waiting for lower prices.... within the context of risk.

I suggest you go back and read the posts in their context.... I hope that clarifies things.

Edited.

No, I realize you opinions re. hyper,inf',defl',etc differ - I said:

IE all of this you posted:

Is any one asking you to have the same opinion? It's the quality of opinion that sets the quality of the forum.

I don't think you'll find ST fits with most definitions of a Gold Bug - if you look into what he actually says. You seem to be actively trying to tar people with your (mocking) 'gold bug' brush...

I agree RH seems to use the Gold Bug label a hell of a lot. Does seem at times that the 'gold bug' phrase is thrown around as a subtle attack to put gold investors down. I usually bite my lip when I read this, but I must agree with Mr P on this particular point.

RH - could you let me know your actual definition/meaning of a gold bug?

Most on this site are Gold Investors. I myself am a gold bull. I don't know anyone who would call themseleves a gold bug.

I agree RH seems to use the Gold Bug label a hell of a lot. Does seem at times that the 'gold bug' phrase is thrown around as a subtle attack to put gold investors down. I usually bite my lip when I read this, but I must agree with Mr P on this particular point.

Most on this site are Gold Investors. I myself am a gold bull. I don't know anyone who would call themseleves a gold bug.

I use the term gold bug because it draws a distinction between gold bulls and gold bugs. Gold bugs can consider themselves also gold bulls, but not all gold bulls are gold bugs.

I do not consider myself a gold bug because typically they have the following beliefs:

1] A belief that the primary ordering principle for society is laissez faire markets, with the politcal position which is often anti-government/ anarchist.

2] Governments, being all powerful and corrupt, will continue to print the currency into oblivion. A belief in the certainty of hyper-inflation.

3] The belief that gold, and only gold is money, and also an overly emotional attachment to that form of money which tends to color all thought and argument about the topic..

Given these typical beliefs of gold bugs, I can not consider myself one. Rather, gold is bigger than gold bugism and the bull market it is in can be explained in other ways than by what tend to be the "dogmas/ certainties" of the gold bug worldview. :)

Maybe a new thread should be started for these cans of worms... as our gold thread for analysing the bull market in gold is getting a bit cluttered here.

RH is a gold bug. Only person i know who believes in hyperdeflation which means a gold rise is automatic. He has to be a bug!

Why all this ganging up on RH?

He (and everyone) should be allowed to post whatever he likes, so long as it is not rude nor insulting (which he never is!!!).

Heck... if people don't like his content or expressed views/arguments, then just discard or ignore his posts. Please don't start telling him or others what style of post/reasoning is acceptable.

He (and everyone) should be allowed to post whatever he likes, so long as it is not rude nor insulting (which he never is!!!).

Heck... if people don't like his content or expressed views/arguments, then just discard or ignore his posts. Please don't start telling him or others what style of post/reasoning is acceptable.

RH is fairly ruthless. He finds it funny to mock people and say they are school boy fantasists. I think he should be able to make his points while being polite without relying on Dr Bubb to support his abuse

Thank you kind Sir! :lol:

I do not mind genuine questions... but thought a separate thread would be more appropriate.... why clutter up this fine thread with what can turn into verbal ping pong.

I am not ganging up against anyone!

I thank RH for answering my direct question - it helps me understand what he is saying if i understand what a certain term means (to him).

RH - rather than use the derogatory term gold 'bug', would you consider using Perma Gold Bulls? I think this definition would aid respectful debate.

This will be my last post on this 'bug' issue - as I say I can go back to biting my lip. :rolleyes:

Regards,

fwiw

I am not ganging up against anyone!

I thank RH for answering my direct question - it helps me understand what he is saying if i understand what a certain term means.

RH - rather than use the derogatory term gold 'bug', would you consider using Perma Gold Bulls? I think this definition would aid respectful debate.

This will be my last post on this 'bug' issue - as I say I can go back to biting my lip. :rolleyes:

Regards,

fwiw

That is a good point... and perhaps I have made my point.

That said, "Perma Gold Bull" just doesn't quite have the right ring to it. Maybe we can think of another term. Anyone? :)

Edit: I do not think "gold bug" is necessarily a derogative term, but just defines those typical beliefs as outlined in the previous post. One either agrees or disagrees with them. I think it is fair to say they are fringe beliefs... but then if this is a fringe site... perhaps that makes them the "norm". :lol:

That is a good point... and perhaps I have made my point.

That said, "Perma Gold Bull" just doesn't quite have the right ring to it. Maybe we can think of another term. Anyone? :)

Actually to be fair to Romans Holiday he might be right about his definition of Gold bugs. After dealing with one particular anarchist on HPC i can understand his point of view.

If it were me i would guide people who have exstreme views into areas of the board where people who want to converse with that view can do so and expect the mainstream part of the board to avoid these conversations where people just endlessly dilute a discussion with link after link that says 'this person agrees with my opinion' and 'you are wrong' and so forth.

Mercifully that particular person does not seem to be allowed to exist on this board!