GF, they have St George on the back slaying a dragon, but without the words around the edge, there is nothing else just St George. On the front I assume the 2 types are of Queen Victoria, just different designs. I find a link.....

GOM, I guess I don't quite understand what you mean by "nothing else just St George". I think the backs of my Sovs all look like this. I have no shield designs. :( Victorias, yes, there is the older queen and the younger one. Just like the Elizabethians. If I'm not wrong there might be more than two different ages, but I don't care too much anyway about how old that gold is. :)

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

this is the sigle one on its own:

116.jpg

can I ask a question about this one. If you have queen vic facing you & upright, when I spin the coin around exactly, should the coat of arms be upside down,with the crown at the bottom & upside down ? :unsure:

edit - some of the other sovs are like this also, with upside down st george .....some are the same .....h'mmm

We are back where we were yesterday morning now, gold seems to be just in a holding pattern until the G20 meeting concludes. BTW this will be the 10nth day of closing above $1000, forming a nice base for the next move up.

gold-5.gif

GOM, I guess I don't quite understand what you mean by "nothing else just St George". I think the backs of my Sovs all look like this. I have no shield designs. :( Victorias, yes, there is the older queen and the younger one. Just like the Elizabethians. If I'm not wrong there might be more than two different ages, but I don't care too much anyway about how old that gold is. :)

I have 3 different designed coins.

the one on its own (posted a seperate post for that one), the other 2 types have a younger & older queen vic I presume but both have the same St george slaying the dragon on the back. Sorry if I am being clumsy explaining, but I haven't ever seen a real sov up close to be honest.

the one on its own (posted a seperate post for that one), the other 2 types have a younger & older queen vic I presume but both have the same St george slaying the dragon on the back. Sorry if I am being clumsy explaining, but I haven't ever seen a real sov up close to be honest.

The shield design is somewhat rare, I think. The standard is that Georgie-boy massacres the poor animal.

when is that ? today ?

I think it is today and tomorrow, but am not 100% sure.

Edit: yes it is - http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...25/daily34.html

The White House announced Thursday that Pittsburgh will host the next G-20 summit on Sept. 24 and 25, a spokesman confirmed.

As predicted by Dr B (?) and others, GBP is falling as fast/faster than Gold.

All of which totally validates the do not wait for a dip if you are holding GBP approach.

You could of course convert to USD and then to gold later but this is a big risk for someone who does not have a core position yet.

+1

As predicted by Dr B (?) and others, GBP is falling as fast/faster than Gold.

All of which totally validates the do not wait for a dip if you are holding GBP approach.

You could of course convert to USD and then to gold later but this is a big risk for someone who does not have a core position yet.

+2

useful site for checking sovs

you lot probably already know all this, but I though I'd post it anyway. I am a newbie to coins... :unsure:

edit - even gives the grade of gold & how many were made for the year. more sov info

sorry to detract from all the big G20 stuff etc....

There are three Victoria heads, young, jubilee and old and I think four QE2 heads.

The george and the dragon tail is also used on victorian and pre victorian crowns - these are large coins nearly one oz silver.

The beauty of the design is much more apparent on these than on the small sov.

Gold at $998, from $1,018 a couple of hours ago. Beautifully plotted plunge.

Gold bugs, don't worry. China is on your side. Keep the (long term) perspective. Keep in mind that the people who are selling are either short term traders or people who fundamentally don't understand the financial mess we're in.

Traders, good luck! :lol:

Gold at $998, from $1,018 an hour ago. Beautifully plotted plunge.

Gold bugs, don't worry. China is on your side. Keep the (long term) perspective. Keep in mind that the people who are selling are either short term traders or people who fundamentally don't understand the financial mess we're in.

Traders, good luck! :lol:

993. This should be a wake up call for those who think it will be a one way shoot to the moon. :)

Who's trading here? Keeping powder dry for a dip certainly isn't that. Mind you, I think it makes more sense to buy silver on the big dip then trade swap to gold when it recovers.

$993.

I guess the "green $h1tes" are flying high, or the deflationists have entered naked gold shorts. :)

I wonder how much it costs them each time they do it. Chinese must be loving it.

993. This should be a wake up call for those who think it will be a one way shoot to the moon. :)

Don't count your chickens yet. Especially if you have deflationist tendencies, you might end up with less chickens than expected anyway (chicken deflation).

Hmmm, $993, is this ALL they have??

Don't count your chickens yet. Especially if you have deflationist tendencies, you might end up with less chickens than expected anyway (chicken deflation).

Hmmm, $993, is this ALL they have??

do you get the feeling that even bloomberg enjoy when gold drops ? I do.

I presume because they are also a trading platform & have lots of services hooked into trading stocks & shares rather than pm's ?