With all this funny money QE about, surely it is baked in the cake? It's just a matter of when it really becomes apparent to joe6pack...

correct.

they have already printed enough money to guarantee hyper-inflation and we are simply too far down the laffer curve for any tax rate increases to remove the money from circulation.

as you say, it's just a case of when is becomes apparent to J6P.

My money is on the 30s. Depression mark 2. Joe6pack won't be buying so many six packs and holding on to the little money he has.

J6P will be watching helplessly from the sidelines as a handful of oligarchs buy up all the assets with freshly printed money.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

So, you think places like e.g. Argentina didn't first have asset deflation and some even CPI-deflation(!) , and only then went hyper?

Think twice!

Similar thing in Weimar Germany, by the way.

Don't get confused by flawed Keynesian demand thinking. Supply matters just as much, as Steve Netwriter pointed out. On top of that, the plunging demand for the currency might matter more than the demand for goods at the time.

Argentinian CPI:

argentina_cpi1995-2008(copyright).gif

Argentinian stocks:

argentina_stock_market2001-2.png

Nice charts :D

I think that's an important point.

Yen.

Now wondering where to put this couple of months income...... dollars looking cheap. :)

Must keep powder dry for next crash.

I would try to wait till after the G20 meeting on the 30th, there has got to be some major dollar issues being raised there. I unlike you don't have to worry about what to do with income at the moment, as my level of work is greatly reduced, currently am just in survival mode. What line of work are you in and where?

I sold a bit of silver and a bigger bit of gold on Friday, and parked it in Canadian dollars.

I am not sold on this big crash in PMs, I think we will be on for a minor correction then off to the races. The Chinese should stop the price being taken down too far. I can't bring myself to trust any fiat at the moment, there are too many problems in the world.

I would try to wait till after the G20 meeting on the 30th, there has got to be some major dollar issues being raised there. I unlike you don't have to worry about what to do with income at the moment, as my level of work is greatly reduced, currently am just in survival mode. What line of work are you in and where?

My work as a carpenter/kitchen fitter has slowed right down. Im keeping busy with jobs at home though, like you, survival mode!

I am not sold on this big crash in PMs, I think we will be on for a minor correction then off to the races. The Chinese should stop the price being taken down too far. I can't bring myself to trust any fiat at the moment, there are too many problems in the world.

+1

"Survival mode" here too. It's taking ages to get paid, which is a pi$$ah as I want to buy more PMs.

But your previous message just said that you had sold some, or are you meaning after a price correction.

When I started buying PMs I tried to just put a certain amount in every two weeks, trying to pick a low point, but have never sold any. I think the best option is to average in over a certain amount of time, depending on your stash level. There are to many contrasting opinions around to get a good idea of what is going to happen in the short term, but everyone seems agreed what will happen in the long term. So buy over time and hold seems to be the best option.

DOLLAR TURN?

Here's how the Dollar chart looked as of Friday ... update

aa2b.gif

Notice the key resistance at 76.75

Today we see: 76.81

idx24_usd_en_2.gif

There is alot of whishful thinking in the minds of some who are talking and hopng for a major downward correction in gold look at the fundamentals they are terrible worse than ever further increasing unemployment falling retail sales no volume in house sales etc etc.on the other hand the aparent bullish sentiment being shown in the various indices is totally unfounded in any real signs of any positive economic markers it is pure hope whithout any substance.I would approach with extreme caution in this curent enviroment my strategy is simple got gold hold gold and watch and monitor the fundamentals and react apropriately.

Anecdotely on our annual trip to the sun to escape the cold sunless winters of england in 2oo3 we were visiting the alhambra complex in granada in spain and called into use an internet cafe /launderette close by actually more launderette as the sole computer was realy the owners own use computer that he had realised might add additional income to his floundering finances.I remember very clearly has he graphically explained to me the reason for him being in spain having been lucky enugh to leave argentina after its economic collapse, what really suprised him was the apparent speed of the collapse.It left him practically broke he had listened/trusted the government who were guranteeing the stability of the peso and strength of their economy while the clever/cautious people put their money int the us dollar and got it out of the country.

Does that sound familiar???

DOLLAR TURN?

Here's how the Dollar chart looked as of Friday ... update

aa2b.gif

Notice the key resistance at 76.75

Today we see: 76.81

idx24_usd_en_2.gif

dollar-1.gif

I am wondering if the markets might be just taking a breather here before one last wave up on the inflation trade. The Dow through 10000, the gold/silver ratio to near 50 and the dollar nearing its all time low of 72 would make for a fearful symmetry..... before all whiplashing in reverse.

But your previous message just said that you had sold some, or are you meaning after a price correction.

When I started buying PMs I tried to just put a certain amount in every two weeks, trying to pick a low point, but have never sold any. I think the best option is to average in over a certain amount of time, depending on your stash level. There are to many contrasting opinions around to get a good idea of what is going to happen in the short term, but everyone seems agreed what will happen in the long term. So buy over time and hold seems to be the best option.

I agree. I am buy and hold. It's just the anticipation of a crash which prompted me to take some profits and be ready to buy again in a few weeks. I am still 70 per cent in PMs at the mo.

And ready to jump back in with the balance at a moment's notice.

I am not expecting a major correction in gold. But perhaps silver will be hit by market turbulence, making it a good buy. I want to get back to a heavier weighting in silver, which I had until mid-August.

I am wondering if the markets might be just taking a breather here before one last wave up on the inflation trade. The Dow through 10000, the gold/silver ratio to near 50 and the dollar nearing its all time low of 72 would make for a fearful symmetry..... before all whiplashing in reverse.

Eep!

Thought I was being prudent having 50% Physical and 50% NS&I Index Linked, but now increasingly worried Uk might do an Argentina and I kiss goodbye to the bonds - of course, my PM's should at least double in this scenario......anyone suggest any better alternatives to UK bonds? (cash in the bank is NOT an option)

Thought I was being prudent having 50% Physical and 50% NS&I Index Linked, but now increasingly worried Uk might do an Argentina and I kiss goodbye to the bonds - of course, my PM's should at least double in this scenario......anyone suggest any better alternatives to UK bonds? (cash in the bank is NOT an option)

What is the matter with more physical Gold or Silver? Thats what I have done with my house money.

If the UK does an Argentina you gold will do a least a ten bagger, so no worries...

US bonds.... short term? :unsure:

Yes it does!!!

Look how FAST Icekand collapsed for something a bit nearer in time. And Estonia now...

It would really pay to study what happened in Argentina as the UK and USA citizens are similarly being fleeced right now whilst being spoon-fed bare-faced LIES on the boob-tube by Bernanke and Brown that all is well!!! What a load of old cobblers!!! The USA is bankrupt, so is the UK. The Dollar is doomed, as is Turdling! Faber has said that the US State Dept has informed most embassies worldwide to stock up enough local currency in cash, to get them by for at least a year - this does NOT include the Uk embassy!!! It implies TPTB know the dollar will go down the toilet taking Turdling with it. There are a whole bunch of Argentina videos on you tube that explain what happened. The oligarchs are pulling more or less the same MO right now on the USA and UK.

Exactly last winter we travelled down to spain then over to morocco back into europe through spain, france, germany, denmark, sweden, norway ,finland, ESToNIA, latvia, lithuania, poland ,germany belgium ,france then back to blighty.

As always it was a great trip and massively informative nothing like having your ear on the grund as they say.

Major points noted living costs in morocco £85o for 3 months people much happier in what peple in the west would call poverty for me it was more like heaven sustainable living real community feindly hospitable people.Spain is abslutely f**ked you have never seen so much develpment truly awful they have sold their soul to the devil.In the baltic states the only one that didnt seem to have got itself into so much debt in a race to develp and modernise was latvia the roads were noticebly in a bad state of repair where as esotnia and lithuania had alot of newly built and newly maintained roads.The capital of lithuania vilnus was suprisingly modern the credit expansion was clear to see in the buildings and the new cars on the roads.

Exactly last winter we travelled down to spain then over to morocco back into europe through spain, france, germany, denmark, sweden, norway ,finland, ESToNIA, latvia, lithuania, poland ,germany belgium ,france then back to blighty.

As always it was a great trip and massively informative nothing like having your ear on the grund as they say.

Major points noted living costs in morocco £85o for 3 months people much happier in what peple in the west would call poverty for me it was more like heaven sustainable living real community feindly hospitable people.Spain is abslutely f**ked you have never seen so much develpment truly awful they have sold their soul to the devil.In the baltic states the only one that didnt seem to have got itself into so much debt in a race to develp and modernise was latvia the roads were noticebly in a bad state of repair where as esotnia and lithuania had alot of newly built and newly maintained roads.The capital of lithuania vilnus was suprisingly modern the credit expansion was clear to see in the buildings and the new cars on the roads.

I've got to say I can echo that, in the traveling I've done outside the so-called 'West' I have found a greater sense of cooperation and community and there is an inner happiness that comes with that kind of human interaction. Now I'm acutely aware that when I am in these countries I have a privileged position beyond 99% of the people who live there and when I am back in London I live in comparative opulence (not to some of London's standards) but I do notice an inverse correlation in community 'happiness' and cohesion and credit expansion.

This may have something to do with the intense competition between us as individuals that the expansionist monetary policies of the 'west' seems to produce. I have noticed a slightly more 'human' side to people since the recesion started though- maybe it's me but people seem to be getting little kinder to each other with all this belt tightening-

Anyway wrong thread....

Sold some silver and a bit of Gold this weekend- looking for a small dip- very much in the game still, also looking at a small rally in the Dollar.

IMF sale thing rears it's head at the opportune moment again I see! :rolleyes:

What is the matter with more physical Gold or Silver? Thats what I have done with my house money.

If the UK does an Argentina you gold will do a least a ten bagger, so no worries...

All the signals are flashing red I know, but seems risky going all in on metals. I know some of you are and hats off to you for having golden balls. (How'd you explain that one to the missus?)

Having said that, I did order another 100oz of silver last week :rolleyes: