... I think that sovereigns are the best. I should have just had sovereigns. ...

+1.

A couple of months ago I compared the per gold gramme cost of CID's various gold coins. QE2 sovereigns were the cheapest of all (less than Krugs or Phillies). ...

+1.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Okey-dokey, I've done my research and are going with CID as they seem much the cheapest. I've seen people on here approve of them. Correct?

Interestingly, CID Sovereigns are cheaper per unit gold weight than Britannias which is unusual and attractive given their divisibility and CGT free-ness.

How do sovereigns (Elizabeths) generally come packaged? Can you source capsules anywhere?

I found them through a couple of recommends through here. Ziknik & fwiw iirc ?

Yes I have found them very good. Sara & Sonia are very nice to deal with. Any small issues we did have were organised very quickly.

I won't tell you about the 2nd delivery of 3 parcels, one of which was wide open & you could see the coins/bars. I kid you not. :o That was why I posted that picture of a couple of those bars as they sent the wrong ones on that delivery (just the bars), coins were fine. They offered to replace them instantly (I would have had to ship to Germany though). No problems with any other order. I have placed a lot recently.

Just make sure you specify exactly what you want first imho. :)

edited - I decided to keep the bars btw.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=a1B_ZBQfii8Q

China’s Pig Farmers Amass Copper, Nickel, Sucden Says (Update1)

By Glenys Sim

Sept. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Private investors in China, the world’s largest metals user, have stockpiled “substantial” quantities of copper as the government ramps up stimulus spending to spur the economy, according to Sucden Financial Ltd.

Pig farmers and other speculators may have amassed more than 50,000 metric tons, Jeremy Goldwyn, who oversees business development in Asia for London-based Sucden, wrote in an e- mailed report after a visit to China. That’s about half the level of inventories tallied by the Shanghai Futures Exchange, which stood last week at a two-year high of 97,396 tons.

Sucden’s estimate underscores the difficulty analysts face in gauging metals demand in China amid increased speculation by retail investors, whose holdings remain outside the reporting framework undertaken by exchanges. Private investors in China also had as much as 20,000 tons of nickel, Goldwyn wrote.

People who have nothing at all to do with the copper trade have been buying copper as a store of value, much like they would with gold,” said Jiang Mingjun, an analyst at Shanghai Oriental Futures Co.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment...ing-frenzy.html

Gold investors warned to liquidate after 'buying frenzy'

London's leading gold forecaster has advised clients to liquidate holdings of gold and silver until the latest speculative fever abates, warning that futures contracts on New York's Comex exchange are flashing warning signals.

:rolleyes:

Found a fantastic response to this that wraps up my thoughts very succinctly:

The implication of all this is that gold - and silver, too - are just comestible items to be bought and sold like paper currencies. We beg to differ. If people believe that fiat currencies are doomed, especially the dollar, and that any recovery from the financial crisis will be fitful and slow and include a deserved bout of price inflation, then they will likely be holding what they have in terms of precious metals and buying on dips. But why would you sell? Are people so adept at timing the market that they can move in and out of metals markets with consummate ease. That's not even the reason to buy metals - to take profits. Right now you probably buy metals to stave off all the problems your portfolio can experience if you leave it exposed to paper money equity and debt markets.

http://www.thedailybell.com/523/Gold-inves...ing-frenzy.html

As I have said elsewhere I am starting to genuinely think we will look back at all these articles and posts saying "time to take profits" and book them in some fiat currency and laugh.

Take profits and book them in to gold and silver!

The video of they guy saying "if you are buying gold now you are buying from me" really made me chuckle. Maybe I will write to him and thank him for selling it to me so cheap :lol:

The video of they guy saying "if you are buying gold now you are buying from me" really made me chuckle. Maybe I will write to him and thank him for selling it to me so cheap :lol:

He was buying on the way down and selling on the way up. The direction of the movement is technically unimportant, the important thing is that you do your largest transactions at what you think are the low points and the smallest at the high points. However, if you're trading in a bull market (and why wouldn't you?), and especially in a gold one, then you'd want to be left in the market when it decides just to keep going upwards. Perhaps he made money from the swings in the "energy field" but he'll be in dollars when we surge to $1400.

As I have said elsewhere I am starting to genuinely think we will look back at all these articles and posts saying "time to take profits" and book them in some fiat currency and laugh.

A typical anti-gold article like we've seen so many times over the years.

Gold has gone up, what?, little more than 20 dollars in the last fortnight and they call it a "buying frenzy".

The recent rise in gold has been mostly dollar weakness not so much gold strength.

The euro price hasn't moved much.

QUOTE (DoctorSolar @ Sep 17 2009, 11:06 PM)

The video of they guy saying "if you are buying gold now you are buying from me" really made me chuckle. Maybe I will write to him and thank him for selling it to me so cheap

Dr SOLAR. Watch out for hubris. Flying too close to the sun melts your wings off.

I think he talks a lot of sense and he follows the banks. It's 'the only way'. They have a nasty habit of winning and crushing the little guy. Of course he may be wrong here. In which case he'll slam into reverse.

OK, sovereigns done. Good. I'm looking for plastic storage tubes (not capsules) available in UK online. Anyone know where I can get them?

[sovs from CID. Cheapest physical I could find. I've now stop-lossed an equivalent sum of paper gold so should now have additional upward exposure without concomitant downward exposure]

OK, sovereigns done. Good. I'm looking for plastic storage tubes (not capsules) available in UK online. Anyone know where I can get them?

[sovs from CID. Cheapest physical I could find. I've now stop-lossed an equivalent sum of paper gold so should now have additional upward exposure without concomitant downward exposure]

let me know if you find any.

i wonder if smarties tubes are wide enough?

has this been posted yet ? I appreciate it's from yesterday.

http://www.marketskeptics.com/

"Scary developments in gold

Gold has broken above $1020 (again during Hong Kong hours). I have been expecting this all year, and now that gold is finally hitting new highs it is fairly scary. With the $1000 barrier broken, there is no telling where or when it will stop.

What makes gold rising over $1020 even scarier is what is happening simultaneously with open interest on the COMEX. In the table below, you can see how the quantity of COMEX gold futures contracts has begun spiraling out of control since the end of August."

"Open interest on gold futures is EXPLODING, yet gold prices have broken over $1000 and are still going up! We are definitely nearing the beginning of the real financial crisis. I expect gold to continue inching up until the dollar’s fall start accelerating towards the end of the year."

Open%20Interest%20on%20COMEX%20Gold_v2-717132.PNG

Has anyone on here actually gone gold panning?

I havent altho I used to live very close to an old gold mine in Tyndrum (Scottish Highlands)

there was talk of them reopening it years ago ,will have to google if they did

right heres the latest -http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/tyndrum-gold-mine-may-reopen-soon/0058/

I have been really lucky over the years when it comes to finding gold

Had a lorry driving job with Lewisham council and found 2 Victoria sovs when clearing out

an empty council flat

then I found a gold wedding band in the street in Stockwell

found a big chunky mans ring on a train when I worked in the railway

got to keep them after no one claimed it back

and finally bought a clapped out mini (1965) for £20 (I know £20 amazing)

which someone wrote off one night but my sadness turned to joy when

I found a gold ring with a 2 peso Mexican coin mounted in it

Unfortunately I sold the sovs for £60 each when I was skint must be 20 yrs ago now

but I still have the rings tucked away with my bullion

so back to the original question anyone done any panning ?

and has anyone been lucky finding bling bling ?

just curious