• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

It would be interesting to argue that CGT didn't apply as it was the currency that had devalued, not your assets that had increased...

It's possibly of theoretical interest, but the government wants exactly this: devalue the currency and at the same time make you pay for keeping up with inflation. Win-win for the government. :)

It would be interesting to argue that CGT didn't apply as it was the currency that had devalued, not your assets that had increased...

I wonder if zimbabweh has cgt.

Buy an egg for $10,000 sell it a few days later for $100,000. CGT on $90,000 after your first $10,000 allowance = $20,000. More than the egg cost a few days ago.

I think True North can do my tax accounting! "ya, well I will tell them where to collect their cgt. . ."

I wonder if zimbabweh has cgt.

Buy an egg for $10,000 sell it a few days later for $100,000. CGT on $90,000 after your first $10,000 allowance = $20,000. More than the egg cost a few days ago.

The problem is that when that CGT arrives in Zimbabwe's government coffers, you can't even buy a sheet of used toilet paper from it anymore.

In the UK, always buy and sell bullion in <£5000 quantities.

No paperwork, no cgt.

In my naivete this is a rule I broke, regrettably.

I hope I don't have any accidents the next time I am out on the lough.

And <£10k/year from the same dealer IIRC.

If you drop your gold over the side of your dinghy then there is no cgt. It might be best not to claim a tax loss though ;)

yes, but you can use your wifes name to buy in with another 10k also. ;)

I got that from a couple of posters on here when I was enquiring about the same thing. I wasn't even aware of this or CGT gold coins & VAT on silver tbh. :unsure:

Pig farmers in China have been stockpiling copper. I think this shows how much people want to invest in something tangible. It augers well now that they are free to buy silver and gold.

China’s Pig Farmers Amass Copper, Nickel, Sucden Says (Update1)

By Glenys Sim

Sept. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Private investors in China, the world’s largest metals user, have stockpiled “substantial” quantities of copper as the government ramps up stimulus spending to spur the economy, according to Sucden Financial Ltd.

Pig farmers and other speculators may have amassed more than 50,000 metric tons, Jeremy Goldwyn, who oversees business development in Asia for London-based Sucden, wrote in an e- mailed report after a visit to China. That’s about half the level of inventories tallied by the Shanghai Futures Exchange, which stood last week at a two-year high of 97,396 tons.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=a1B_ZBQfii8Q

yes, but you can use your wifes name to buy in with another 10k also. ;)

I got that from a couple of posters on here when I was enquiring about the same thing. I wasn't even aware of this or CGT gold coins & VAT on silver tbh. :unsure:

Dealer: Certainly, Sir. We had a new delivery of Sovereigns this morning. May I ask your name please?

GOM: Susan.

There's no tax VAT / CGT to pay on Sovereigns & Britannia's.

I only tend to buy Sovereigns for this reason.

Okey-dokey, I've done my research and are going with CID as they seem much the cheapest. I've seen people on here approve of them. Correct?

Interestingly, CID Sovereigns are cheaper per unit gold weight than Britannias which is unusual and attractive given their divisibility and CGT free-ness.

How do sovereigns (Elizabeths) generally come packaged? Can you source capsules anywhere?

Okey-dokey, I've done my research and are going with CID as they seem much the cheapest. I've seen people on here approve of them. Correct?

Interestingly, CID Sovereigns are cheaper per unit gold weight than Britannias which is unusual and attractive given their divisibility and CGT free-ness.

How do sovereigns (Elizabeths) generally come packaged? Can you source capsules anywhere?

Britannias are also CGT free.

I had some Elizabeths from them. If I remmember correctly, they were wraped in a zip bag and taped up. I think that sovereigns are the best. I should have just had sovereigns. They are CGT exempt most importantly, a more conveinient size that an ounce, and are more trusted than pandas for example. They have a low premium too.

CID are reliable, I had no problems and I have not heard anyone else complain.

These guys sell coin capsules. http://www.coingallery.co.uk/coin-capsules-2-c.asp

A couple of months ago I compared the per gold gramme cost of CID's various gold coins. QE2 sovereigns were the cheapest of all (less than Krugs or Phillies).

I received sovereigns from them in small plastic bags which you can press closed at one end.

I've been happy with CID's service having ordered from them several times.