• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

So..at what price are people going to regret not stocking up a little at these prices?

Ummmm... perhaps 1300 :) [but I am hoping it goes down first].

Gold looks solid here with the dollar weak, a continuing stock market rally, confidence in financials restored by Bernanke's stress test, and investor money going into just about everything. Wonder if the illusion can last all summer.

I am starting to think inflation and deflation concerns will have less an impact on gold compared to previously. Inflation and deflation affects the price of gold in so far as it is considered a commodity. By buying gold not as a commodity but as an alternative currency, due to debt concerns, investors are effectively "monetizing" gold. This should see gold remain strong and only rise slowly as other currencies decline.

In this scenario, silver might be the best one to trade.

Hmm. He tells of a golden goose with very deep pockets. You just have to hope his economic understanding is better than his literacy.

This is the guy that owns Goldmoney...http://goldmoney.com/en/management.html

I am pretty sure his economic understanding is on sound foundations.

Hey, Steve: here's the next month's thread title:

Gold - it might be a cure for cancer.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/...90504151454.htm

Targeting Tumors Using Tiny Gold Particles

ScienceDaily (May 5, 2009) — It has long been known that heat is an effective weapon against tumor cells. However, it's difficult to heat patients' tumors without damaging nearby tissues.

Now, MIT researchers have developed tiny gold particles that can home in on tumors, and then, by absorbing energy from near-infrared light and emitting it as heat, destroy tumors with minimal side effects.

Such particles, known as gold nanorods, could diagnose as well as treat tumors, says MIT graduate student Geoffrey von Maltzahn, who developed the tumor-homing particles with Sangeeta Bhatia,

With chemotherapy treatment, 99 percent of drugs administered typically don't reach the tumor, said von Maltzahn. In contrast, the gold nanorods can specifically focus heat on tumors.

"This class of particles provides the most efficient method of specifically depositing energy in tumors," he said.

Wiping out tumors

Gold nanoparticles can absorb different frequencies of light, depending on their shape. Rod-shaped particles, such as those used by von Maltzahn and Bhatia, absorb light at near-infrared frequency; this light heats the rods but passes harmlessly through human tissue.

In a study reported in the team's Cancer Research paper, tumors in mice that received an intravenous injection of nanorods plus near-infrared laser treatment disappeared within 15 days. Those mice survived for three months with no evidence of reoccurrence, until the end of the study, while mice that received no treatment or only the nanorods or laser, did not.

Once the nanorods are injected, they disperse uniformly throughout the bloodstream. Bhatia's team developed a polymer coating for the particles that allows them to survive in the bloodstream longer than any other gold nanoparticles (the half-life is greater than 17 hours).

In designing the particles, the researchers took advantage of the fact that blood vessels located near tumors have tiny pores just large enough for the nanorods to enter. Nanorods accumulate in the tumors, and within three days, the liver and spleen clear any that don't reach the tumor.

During a single exposure to a near-infrared laser, the nanorods heat up to 70 degree Celsius, hot enough to kill tumor cells. Additionally, heating them to a lower temperature weakens tumor cells enough to enhance the effectiveness of existing chemotherapy treatments, raising the possibility of using the nanorods as a supplement to those treatments.

ScienceDaily (May 5, 2009) — It has long been known that heat is an effective weapon against tumor cells. However, it's difficult to heat patients' tumors without damaging nearby tissues.

I've done some scientific research in this area, although unfortunately not to the stardard of this MIT group.

Nanoparticles of gold (or platinum) have a lot of potential in physical cancer therapies (X-rays, UV etc.) However, they use minute quantities of metal and will not have much effect on global demand, even if they are the next major breakthrough.

I've done some scientific research in this area, although unfortunately not to the stardard of this MIT group.

Nanoparticles of gold (or platinum) have a lot of potential in physical cancer therapies (X-rays, UV etc.) However, they use minute quantities of metal and will not have much effect on global demand, even if they are the next major breakthrough.

Could the gold be recovered from a tumour and used again in another tumour? icon8.gif

Could the gold be recovered from a tumour and used again in another tumour? icon8.gif

Hi Ziknik.

No way, I'm afraid. The Au/Pt nanoparticles need to get within the tumour cell, in fact usually an organelle like the the nucleus or lysosomes. There's no technology to get it out, even if Human Tissue Act etc. would let you (which it likely wouldn't).

Really, the amount of gold to recycle would be tiny anyway. Might as well develop a technique for extracting Gold from seawater.

People are very slowly starting to wake up to the monetary holocaust that is waiting for them.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

U.K.’s Royal Mint Uses 75% More Gold as Investor Demand Expands

By Thomas Biesheuvel and Nicholas Larkin

May 7 (Bloomberg) -- The Royal Mint, established in the 13th century, used 75 percent more gold in the first quarter amid a surge in demand for bullion to diversify investments.

The U.K. mint made 28,496 ounces of gold coins in the quarter, compared with 16,317 ounces a year earlier, according to data obtained by Bloomberg News under a Freedom of Information Act request. Production last year rose 30 percent to 53,089 ounces, the data show.

People are very slowly starting to wake up to the monetary holocaust that is waiting for them.

They were quite competitive on gold coins in January, but jacked their prices up a lot. I am sure that accounted for part of the surge. For instance at one point you could buy a sovereign for cheaper than on CID.

Only 75% up.... I was expecting 750% at least!

I thought articles like yesterday's FT front page would increase gold holdings dramatically but I guess most people still put their faith in sterling as most things are fairly stable in price.

Why don't you trade Google or GM?

I think it is a bad idea to trade insurance.

I reckon it is best to trade something you know a little bit about and also know will be volatile. The odds are silver will ultimately perform as a monetary asset. Why not make use of market volatility [trade] to both accumulate and hedge against the possibility you could be wrong. Buy when it is low, sell half when it spikes, top up again when it is low again. It is just a money game, I want to play against the market. :rolleyes: Soros outlined this in his theory of reflexivity where the investor has both an idea of real value and is also cognizant of the markets momentary perception of value.

As for insurance, can't find it in this world.

Now, MIT researchers have developed tiny gold particles that can home in on tumors, and then, by absorbing energy from near-infrared light and emitting it as heat, destroy tumors with minimal side effects.

Such particles, known as gold nanorods, could diagnose as well as treat tumors, says MIT graduate student Geoffrey von Maltzahn, who developed the tumor-homing particles with Sangeeta Bhatia,

With chemotherapy treatment, 99 percent of drugs administered typically don't reach the tumor, said von Maltzahn. In contrast, the gold nanorods can specifically focus heat on tumors.

"This class of particles provides the most efficient method of specifically depositing energy in tumors," he said.

Wiping out tumors

Gold nanoparticles can absorb different frequencies of light, depending on their shape. Rod-shaped particles, such as those used by von Maltzahn and Bhatia, absorb light at near-infrared frequency; this light heats the rods but passes harmlessly through human tissue.

In a study reported in the team's Cancer Research paper, tumors in mice that received an intravenous injection of nanorods plus near-infrared laser treatment disappeared within 15 days. Those mice survived for three months with no evidence of reoccurrence, until the end of the study, while mice that received no treatment or only the nanorods or laser, did not.

Once the nanorods are injected, they disperse uniformly throughout the bloodstream. Bhatia's team developed a polymer coating for the particles that allows them to survive in the bloodstream longer than any other gold nanoparticles (the half-life is greater than 17 hours).

In designing the particles, the researchers took advantage of the fact that blood vessels located near tumors have tiny pores just large enough for the nanorods to enter. Nanorods accumulate in the tumors, and within three days, the liver and spleen clear any that don't reach the tumor.

During a single exposure to a near-infrared laser, the nanorods heat up to 70 degree Celsius, hot enough to kill tumor cells. Additionally, heating them to a lower temperature weakens tumor cells enough to enhance the effectiveness of existing chemotherapy treatments, raising the possibility of using the nanorods as a supplement to those treatments.

I could do with suggestions. I'm running out of silly things to say :D

No actually that's probably not true :lol:

Will the Royal Mint continue making 2008 Sovs and 2007 Sovs ….. this year?

All the coins from Royal Mint have an issue limit. In 2009 there will be a maximum of 75,000 Sovs, 50,000 1/2 Sovs & 1/4 Sovs (each).

The gold coins already produced this year are equivalent to this year’s entire issue of Sovs.

The issue limit for Brits and other coins is pretty low too.

Will the Royal Mint continue making 2008 Sovs and 2007 Sovs ….. this year?

All the coins from Royal Mint have an issue limit. In 2009 there will be a maximum of 75,000 Sovs, 50,000 1/2 Sovs & 1/4 Sovs (each).

The gold coins already produced this year are equivalent to this year’s entire issue of Sovs.

The issue limit for Brits and other coins is pretty low too.

Putting an issue limit on Proofs I can understand but to put a limit on bullion coins was very daft marketing, especially when they are selling like bacon butties in a builder's site!

I reckon it is best to trade something you know a little bit about and also know will be volatile. The odds are silver will ultimately perform as a monetary asset. Why not make use of market volatility [trade] to both accumulate and hedge against the possibility you could be wrong. Buy when it is low, sell half when it spikes, top up again when it is low again. It is just a money game, I want to play against the market. :rolleyes: Soros outlined this in his theory of reflexivity where the investor has both an idea of real value and is also cognizant of the markets momentary perception of value.

As for insurance, can't find it in this world.

You don't need to get rid of your insurance to take advantage of the swings in price. I trade gold and silver by swapping between them using the gold/silver ratio to time my trades. That way you increase your metal and still keep your insurance.

You never know when the next black swan is coming, I sleep better holding metal than paper in these times of QE.

any of you guys ever sold coins to CID? I'm thinking of selling a few to fund a trip this summer. They stipulate I would be responsible for shipping and insurance (obvoiusly) but I'm wondering who to use for this service and what will it cost? I'm talking a couple of dozen coins with a current value of approx 6k....

any of you guys ever sold coins to CID? I'm thinking of selling a few to fund a trip this summer. They stipulate I would be responsible for shipping and insurance (obvoiusly) but I'm wondering who to use for this service and what will it cost? I'm talking a couple of dozen coins with a current value of approx 6k....

Why not try your luck with the forum members first ??

Or just walk into ATS / Baird / Chards, all will give you a fair price.

Or you could enter the murky world of ebay, watch out for high fees and scammers :lol:

You don't need to get rid of your insurance to take advantage of the swings in price. I trade gold and silver by swapping between them using the gold/silver ratio to time my trades. That way you increase your metal and still keep your insurance.

You never know when the next black swan is coming, I sleep better holding metal than paper in these times of QE.

Not sure you could put silver in the "insurance" category. It is more speculative in nature than gold, though a great speculation nevertheless. Silver looks set to outperform, then in turn underperform gold as the manic market trades it in a highly charged setting. I want to be on the opposite side of that trade. We could see silver go to near $20 again in the summer, then plunge to where we are now as it is caught up in a general deflation scare where everything sells off... except gold maybe.

I see gold as being effectively monetized [thanks to QE and then also the Chinese reaction] by investors/nations at the moment and accordingly now a lot less volatile. Silver lags gold and should remain extremely volatile for another year or so being still considered in part a commodity.

In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value. If there were, the government would have to make its holding illegal, as was done in the case of gold. If everyone decided, for example, to convert all his bank deposits to silver or copper or any other good, and thereafter declined to accept checks as payment for goods, bank deposits would lose their purchasing power and government-created bank credit would be worthless as a claim on goods. The financial policy of the welfare state requires that there be no way for the owners of wealth to protect themselves.

This is the shabby secret of the welfare statists' tirades against gold. Deficit spending is simply a scheme for the confiscation of wealth. Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights. If one grasps this, one has no difficulty in understanding the statists' antagonism toward the gold standard.

Alan Greenspan, 2003.