Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

ah redemption is at hand though from mattyboy:

h'mmm

is this mattyboy from here here btw ?

What you could do is buy something - ideally something tangible (physcial, that you can keep yourself with no counterparty risk), something that does not require credit to purchase (like a house - these are going down for a while), something that holds its value (has a track record of doing so), is easily sold if needed (liquid), and it might also be useful if it is compact.

What could he mean ?

Cows ?

No, maybe not. Maybe pigs ?

Hmmmm, no.

Ahhh, I know, tins of baked beans.

Oh no, that's not it.

Scratches head. There must be sooooommmmmeeeeething !

Ahhhh, I know.

It's.......GXXX :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliantly bit of saying it without saying it :D :D

What could he mean ?

Cows ?

No, maybe not. Maybe pigs ?

Hmmmm, no.

you could do is buy something - ideally something tangible (physcial, that you can keep yourself with no counterparty risk), something that does not require credit to purchase (like a house - these are going down for a while), something that holds its value (has a track record of doing so), is easily sold if needed (liquid), and it might also be useful if it is compact.

Now, let me see. I think the clue lies in the words compact, track and record. I know, CDs !

Goldline are out of most of the main 1 oz bullion coins again

Australia Nugget 1oz - out of stock £ 578.75

Austria 1oz Philharmoniker - out of stock £ 578.75

Canada Maple Leaf 1oz - out of stock £ 591.75

China Panda 1oz £ 589.25

South Africa Krugerrand 1oz - 2 weeks wait £ 597.25

United Kingdom Sovereign's £ 149.00

United Kingdom Britannia 1 oz - out of stock £ 602.50

USA Eagle 1oz - out of stock £ 578.75

I also rang Chards the other day, and they were out of Sovereigns, though they did have Krugerrands available.

Interesting email from stockgumshoe.com: Discounted gold & silver with help from... Microsoft!!! :blink:

The following is copied from my email of Nov. 24, it has not been updated for the new 30% cash back rate from live.com or the now lower gold and silver prices ...

The story of how you can buy gold with Microsoft's help.

For those who have been interested in buying some gold coins, or just want to explore some online shopping during this holiday season, I wanted to alert you to the massive effort Microsoft is making to throw away money in its attempt to catch Google ... and how you can catch some of that money.

Microsoft's new plan is to give cash back to folks who are registered with live.com (free), set up a free "cash back" account, and buy something after clicking on an ad within the live.com search. I've done this myself, it takes just a few minutes -- they explain the basic rules here, but I can verify that, at least in my case, they have approved my cash back and even paid some of it already.

What you do is set up your live.com account, set up a cashback acount using the link at the top of their page, and then do a live.com search -- here's what a search might look like. The little gold coin icon in the ads alerts you that there's an ebay sponsored ad for this search that you can click on, which begins the cashback train.

This has quickly spawned a cottage industry within eBay, which is a large advertiser on live.com. Today the cashback percentage that Microsoft is offering is 25%, with a maximum total of $200 per purchase -- sometimes the cashback is instant, sometimes they delay it by a month or two. And they can also drop the program or change the percentage or amount any time they want (and they have).

So what does that mean? It means that if you don't mind taking ten minutes to jump through Microsoft's hoops, the ideal purchase on eBay right now is around $800 -- that would maximize your 25% cash back, and in the end you would pay only $600 for your $800 item.

And what costs about $800?

An ounce of gold.

Gold coins have been trading at a big markup to their melt price lately, especially on ebay, but not a $200 per coin markup -- so you could go in and buy an American Eagle coin for about $1000, get your $200 cash back, and have paid $800 for one ounce of gold that has a current melt value of $820, and that will typically be sold by other secondary dealers for at least $900.

You can buy these coins directly from the mint for $975 right now, so you can see that this is a great offer for dealers, too -- they can make a quick profit by charging a little more than its worth just by following Microsoft's rules (it has to be an instant purchase of a "Buy it now" item, last I saw, and after paying with PayPal you just click a link to request the cashback, and it should register pretty quickly in live.com's system).

You'll see a lot of offers on ebay that reference this cashback program, and that clearly are priced at a premium to fair value because of that $200, but they may still be good deals if you like the idea of buying gold or silver coins (or whatever you may be shopping for). The silver offers are legion on ebay as well, whether for Maple Leafs or American Eagles, so the savvy dealers have put together lots of deals that are in the $800-$1000 range to try to tempt the customer who knows about the live.com program and wants to get the best possible deal -- with the runup in silver today of around 10%, I saw several package deals that were priced below melt value after you took account of the cash back.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, of course -- you may have to wait a couple months for Microsoft to pay you back (for me, about half of my purchases got instant cashback and half will come in a month or two); you may overpay because of the cashback, which will irritate those who like fairness; you are dealing with ebay, so it's always important to make sure you trust the person you're buying from; and you have to use PayPal, which I know a lot of you don't like.

Also note that some of these ads on ebay are clearly for middlemen, folks who don't have the coins yet -- be careful of those, they're probably planning to buy them after they get your money, and the sale could always be cancelled if they don't get the coins at a profitable price for themselves. Look for coins in inventory, and photos of the actual coin, among all the other important things that you might care about for coins (quality, etc., if you're not buying just for the melt value of the gold).

And of course, as some predict, gold may head down to $400 again and your little cashback adventure would have been for naught.

And the final reminder: I am far from an expert on numismatics or on ebay. Still, in the current market this is the only way I know that I can buy good quality American Eagle gold or silver coins at or near melt value right now, and that's saying something. Plus, I got a few nice 25% cash back discounts on some Christmas gifts for my kids, so it's worth knowing about even if you don't want to wade into coin shopping.

So I can only tell you that I know the Microsoft-Ebay-PayPal program is not a scam, and they don't make it hard to get the money back, at least in my case ... whether you use it to buy something worthwhile or not, well, that's another question.

Same problem on Firefox as is makes use of the same Java Virtual machine, I've tried another PC that's not had the Java upgrade and it works, I'll contact Bullionvault about this issue; cheers for the advice.

what browser are you using ?

get firefox in the meantime if you are on IE, remember to browse the addon page though for flash etc...

Same problem on Firefox as is makes use of the same Java Virtual machine, I've tried another PC that's not had the Java upgrade and it works, I'll contact Bullionvault about this issue; cheers for the advice.

sorry, been out.

ah, so it's definetly the java upgrade (out of interest any windows update files get done also? just in case although prob java)

you have rebooted haven't you ? ;) firefox needs a restart after java upgrade, but full reboot always advised.

I assume you are running microshaft xp or veesta ?

add remove programs, uninstall java, reeboot, then either get the older version that worked & reinstall or go for the new one again but after reboot obviously.

let me know if you want to troubleshoot it.....

Goldline are out of most of the main 1 oz bullion coins again

Australia Nugget 1oz - out of stock £ 578.75

Austria 1oz Philharmoniker - out of stock £ 578.75

Canada Maple Leaf 1oz - out of stock £ 591.75

China Panda 1oz £ 589.25

South Africa Krugerrand 1oz - 2 weeks wait £ 597.25

United Kingdom Sovereign's £ 149.00

United Kingdom Britannia 1 oz - out of stock £ 602.50

USA Eagle 1oz - out of stock £ 578.75

I also rang Chards the other day, and they were out of Sovereigns, though they did have Krugerrands available.

out of sovereigns! - that is unusual, they usually have many thousands.

my local dealer, as are many others, are completely out of krugs. i phoned him today as i noticed their margins on krugs compared to bars were huge so i enquired whether they would swap my krugs for bars and also pay me the cash difference. he nearly bit my hand off. i realise bars are harder to trade, but an ounce is an ounce and it also gives me some extra paper to play with over the festive season. anyone see any problem with this? the bars are pamp suisse

Since updating my Java version the Bullionvault chart does not work! Anyone else had this issue?

I had an issue with the iced-tea implementation supplied with Fedora 8.

(Applet not initialised).

The fix is to uninstall iced-tea packages (but due to the large number of dependencies

it will remove a lot of other stuff). Install the sun JRE/JDK, reinstall things like Open Office etc.

ABB

my local dealer, as are many others, are completely out of krugs. i phoned him today as i noticed their margins on krugs compared to bars were huge so i enquired whether they would swap my krugs for bars and also pay me the cash difference. he nearly bit my hand off. i realise bars are harder to trade, but an ounce is an ounce and it also gives me some extra paper to play with over the festive season. anyone see any problem with this? the bars are pamp suisse

He bit your hand off and yet bars are harder to trade?

As of last night it started working again, I can only suspect that they fixed it to work with the latest Java VM as my lap top on which I'd not upgraded my Java version never had a problem while my two other machines on which I'd upgraded had a problem for a day or so.

As a general comment maybe it would be better for them to use Flash or Silverlight for their graphs as a number of workplace firewalls block Java.

I had an issue with the iced-tea implementation supplied with Fedora 8.

(Applet not initialised).

The fix is to uninstall iced-tea packages (but due to the large number of dependencies

it will remove a lot of other stuff). Install the sun JRE/JDK, reinstall things like Open Office etc.

ABB

Well this makes a change. Recently I've got used to watching gold and silver move, and then the US$JPY and others move in the same direction.

So gold would start to drop, and then the US$JPY would start to drop.

Well right now, gold started up, and the US$JPY started down !

It might just be one of those things. But then sometime they've gotta start moving in the right relative directions :D

That's US$ down, GoldUS$ up :D

It must be your machines, all of mine have worked fine with the newer version.

As of last night it started working again, I can only suspect that they fixed it to work with the latest Java VM as my lap top on which I'd not upgraded my Java version never had a problem while my two other machines on which I'd upgraded had a problem for a day or so.

As a general comment maybe it would be better for them to use Flash or Silverlight for their graphs as a number of workplace firewalls block Java.