The dollar will end up being the new carry trade if this goes on for much longer. Would you believe a reserve currency could up being a carry currency.

It certainly was a carry trade currency when US IRs were 1% and it may be becoming so again.

Quite frankly, the fact that Japan has had IRs so low for so long 'does my head in'....

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Wow, just got back in and looked at the charts. Hell of a bad day for silver to be honest and I can see the commodity bears clawing their way back into the picture.

In fact I'd say my sentiment now is downright negative and I'm fearful of a significant correction. :(

This tells me one thing - time to buy more gold and silver. :P

The bears have been suckered in and the bulls have money on the sidelines, a few more days and we'll be at new highs. :lol:

Wow, just got back in and looked at the charts. Hell of a bad day for silver to be honest and I can see the commodity bears clawing their way back into the picture.

In fact I'd say my sentiment now is downright negative and I'm fearful of a significant correction. :(

The bears have been suckered in and the bulls have money on the sidelines, a few more days and we'll be at new highs. :lol:

Perhaps a few days consolidation and then a further breakout north....in what is becoming a familiar pattern.

Too late if you live up north. They already have fluorinated water, and the rest of UK will soon follow. Don't take any chances if they ban bottled water; you only have one option remaining - filter your own with a high quality reverse osmosis filtration system. Don't take any chances - filters are cheap.

By the way, fluorinated toothpaste is okay as long as you don't digest it. That is the problem.

I caught my daughter eating fluoride toothpaste, she had consumed nearly a whole tube. I wondered where it was all going. Who can blame her, its called sally strawberry, looks like strawberry and tastes like strawberry. I bet she is not the only child to have done that. All species of animals have survived millions of years without fluoride tooth paste so why do we need it now?

I hope so as I've just loaded up on some more silver

Dow $11,740.15 Gold $973.15 the ratio is now 12 ounces to the Dow.

(also just realized as I was typing that in my last post I had the ratio the other way round, going to nip back to edit and hopefully save face)

Edit: nope can't edit the last post doh! still 10 ounces to 1 dow is possible by the end of the year.

I went ahead and bought some coins from coininvestdirect on Friday, so will keep you posted with the progress - thanks to those who replied to my query.

by the way, I am not CTT!! just some nobody hpc poster who wants to keep his anonymity! I should have just kept my trap shut about hpc from the start!

I have seen this B.I.N deal on ebay, what do people think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-oz-Gold-Krugerran...1QQcmdZViewItem

The Dow has said 'adios' to the 12,000-level. But today's fall still is pretty contained.

That crappy interest rate rumour from Goldman Sachs seemed to provide some kind of early lift today.. I reckon when the double bottom looks like it's about to breach, out pops Bernanke with his emergency cut... Just my thoughts.

I went ahead and bought some coins from coininvestdirect on Friday, so will keep you posted with the progress - thanks to those who replied to my query.

by the way, I am not CTT!! just some nobody hpc poster who wants to keep his anonymity! I should have just kept my trap shut about hpc from the start!

I for one would buy these of this guy if i had anymore paper money :lol: ,seems a good bargain i've looked at is feedback and to have one negative in selling over 1200 items he most be a a real honest guy. although he hasn't sold anything over 5k before.

I have bought a few kilos of silver and have had no problems from ebay sellers,if you check them out well.

Try using a free tool called http://www.toolhaus.org/

It is great for getting all the bad feedback,that you don't get looking at the ebay one.

A backlash against bottled water has started in Britain, with some newspapers urging restaurants not to serve it and politicians including London Mayor Ken Livingstone calling for a boycott. Tap water requires around 300 times less energy than bottled water for its packaging and transport and leaves nothing for disposal.

A wonderful idea: Bann bottled water.

Get rid of the 10,000 mile Caesar salad, and the 3,000 mile well-traveled water bottle

I caught my daughter eating fluoride toothpaste, she had consumed nearly a whole tube. I wondered where it was all going. Who can blame her, its called sally strawberry, looks like strawberry and tastes like strawberry. I bet she is not the only child to have done that. All species of animals have survived millions of years without fluoride tooth paste so why do we need it now?

Cheap to produce sugar loaded c*ap foods are the main cause of dental decay.

BTW in many countries fluoride toothpaste has a health warning - not in the UK mind.

The Dow has said 'adios' to the 12,000-level. But today's fall still is pretty contained.

I have a shameful admission. I've started spreadbetting the DOW for a laugh, with a modest initial stake. I almost doubled it today. Good old PTT, so very, very predictable.

Makes you think, mind you I'll probably wipe myself out tomorrow. :lol:

My target is 11,500.

Let's see what VIX and volume look like when we get there

I think, I will do the same soon. Only, my money isn't there yet. :lol:

I'm locked and loaded, added 10% of my available cash on todays correction, am holding back now thouh - doug gnazzo sees a short term correction. It looks to me as though a flag is forming here which means silver may consolidaye before it goes higer, the consolidation may have a slight downtrend whihc is the classic flag formation and a touch of a lower trend line consolidation would be the time to get in, holding back till the technical indicators either confirm or negate a correction in silver, keeping a close eye on RSI, MACD and ROC. If the flag has an upward trend as silver did at around $14 the upside will be explosive.

flag forming in silver?

http://www.financialsense.com/fsu/editoria.../2008/0310.html

edit:

hmmm, it's possible the current uptrend could continue all the way to $25 without stopping too long for a breather - with a possible 75/100 base point cut from the fed and inflation, oil over 107, commodities booming, the fundamentlas certainly tell us it is possible, accrding to this chart $25 may be a time to start taking some money off the table.

http://news.silverseek.com/SilverStrategies/1205194650.php

A wonderful idea: Bann bottled water.

But the justification for banning bottled water without banning all the other bottled drinks doesn't follow. If they only want to ban one it seems very sinister to me, perhaps flouride poisoning is the way of the future to keep the population docile :lol:

Also in places like London bottled water is your only option unless you enjoy drinking piss. Hence why it's no surprise that London Mayor Ken Livingstone wants to ban it- there must be some agenda there.

Its not far of the price of buying from a dealer. 8x£505=£4040 & 4x£259=£1036 Total £5076 for the same weight of coins

Might be worth it but only if you can collect it.

We have a reply from Brendon HPC.co.uk owner on the gold thread which has now been reopened.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

We decided to move the Gold thread to the metals section because we are keen to develop other areas of the forum and as it is a metal although a pretty special one we have linked it as a pinned topic at the top of the main discussion on house prices.

I've taken on board peoples comments on not wanting to have it moved but the main forum is really for house price discussion rather than general economic discussion or discussion on investment metals like Gold.

We are hoping that this is just the start of a few changes to the forum to try and arrange it for the next level of growth. The main forum has been hugely popular and we wanted to wait until it was about this large before trying to spread things out a bit more. This is so that we have a good level of momentum in the new forums we create as well.

I am sad to see that our actions upset some long time gold thread posters and I hope that this explanation of why we made the move will encourage you to participate in the thread in it's new location and help us build up informed discussion in new areas of the HPC site as we move forward.

But the justification for banning bottled water without banning all the other bottled drinks doesn't follow. If they only want to ban one it seems very sinister to me, perhaps flouride poisoning is the way of the future to keep the population docile :)

Water, even if it's of questionable quality, is available from the tap in every home. It would be infeasible for that to be true of every other drink that comes bottled, unless people have dozens of taps (not to mention the infrastructure)! :)

There may reasons to consider the banning of bottled water as sinister, but I don't think the non-banning of Tizer at the same time is one of them!

There may reasons to consider the banning of bottled water as sinister, but I don't think the non-banning of Tizer at the same time is one of them!

Ah but then some people think the quality of bottled water is better, how can you justify not letting them buy bottled water (which is healthy ofcourse) in comparison to a sugary drink which is very unhealthy and equally as damaging in terms of shipping the bottles and creating the waste packaging?

Ah but then some people think the quality of bottled water is better, how can you justify not letting them buy bottled water (which is healthy ofcourse) in comparison to a sugary drink which is very unhealthy and equally as damaging in terms of shipping the bottles and creating the waste packaging?

This is about ecology, at least ostensibly.

It seems plausible that it is more ecologically sound to encourage people to use tap water rather than bottled -- given that there is a choice.

It would be harder to ban all other bottled drinks as the general public don't at present have any other way to get them.

My point was only that the non-banning of other bottled drinks isn't necessarily good evidence of a conspiracy, which is what you seemed to be saying originally, i.e. 'why not ban all bottled drinks if it's not a conspiracy?' was more or less what you were saying.

EDIT: Just to add that I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person, but I think that when people scratch desperately around for any conspiracy evidence, however flimsy and unlikely, it only helps foster the view that conspiracy theorists are nut-balls. If there really are lots of conspiracies, any carelessly constructed conspiracy idea must cause the conspirators to rub their hands in glee because, in my view, it just discredits the whole notion of there being a conspiracy at all.

I am sad to see that our actions upset some long time gold thread posters and I hope that this explanation of why we made the move will encourage you to participate in the thread in it's new location and help us build up informed discussion in new areas of the HPC site as we move forward.

That still leaves unfixed the problem of idiosyncratic moderation

So, the HPC gold thread is open again. Having being shut for so long, they just think it's gonna rise from the dead? :)

Anyway, I will be quite busy the next few days, not much time to watch the price of gold. See you folks again towards the end of the week.