I have used them (CID), for me they were first rate.

Stuff is sent via UPS and you can track it.

EDIT : hate to say it, but the spread on them maples is going to cost you £58 / Oz.

two months ago, it was half that.

Buy Price: Netto Price:

£486.80 £544.14

(£544/Oz at today's paper price of £467 / Oz is phenomenal)

I don't mind.....I'm in it for the long term ;)

I have a local jewellers that I have bought some diamonds & other gems from before, i though about putting a call into him to see if he had anything in stock.

I did have a small list of things to look out for (built from an email that GF sent me when I used to post on hpc), but I can't find it.

has anyone got a quick bullet point list ?

eg;

thickness of coin, what edges look like etc ?

iirc, if you spin them in the air they make a certain noise ?

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Hello GOM - This is music to my ears!

I have used Coininvestdirect and they are very good and efficient! These are the guys to use if you want to go online only.

I have also used ATS Bullion, but I went to their shop(premises really) and bought over the counter. I had to call in advance for them to put some coins aside for me. I got kruggers, maples, buffalo's, and pandas - Again no problems...

I have also bought from the Royal Mint (I wanted some Brittanias and they had a nice box set - was expensive though!).

Good luck mate!

thanks FWIW.

I must be the only gold bug on here that doens't own any bl00dy gold. :blink::D

thanks FWIW.

I must be the only gold bug on here that doens't own any bl00dy gold. :blink::D

That is wisdom GOM. It guarantees you did not buy at the 'wrong' time ............... so far :)

Sorry I can't help you on that one off the top of my head, but I have no reason to suspect you will receive anything but perfect service from CID. They are normally stocked up to the hilt, but not at the moment. Their website is updated daily, so if you are after anything specifically then keep checking back, they are an efficiently run business (makes a change) and they are always restocking.

I'd have to say if you were buying based on the COMEX price then your timing IMO is just about perfect. Either way a very good time to jump in if you can.

I did have a small list of things to look out for (built from an email that GF sent me when I used to post on hpc), but I can't find it.

has anyone got a quick bullet point list ?

eg;

thickness of coin, what edges look like etc ?

iirc, if you spin them in the air they make a certain noise ?

That is wisdom GOM. It guarantees you did not buy at the 'wrong' time ............... so far :)

thanks, BUT I would have said it was because I was skint tbh, although the £800ish buy points have stuck in my mind, I would have still bought at £900-£950 tbh (& still will). I was going to buy in at £800 last year BUT I needed the cash to do work on my house in France (work I had promised my renters I would do), so I didn't buy then.

Having said that, remember I am only buying a small amount now (under 5k).

Sorry I can't help you on that one off the top of my head, but I have no reason to suspect you will receive anything but perfect service from CID. They are normally stocked up to the hilt, but not at the moment. Their website is updated daily, so if you are after anything specifically then keep checking back, they are an efficiently run business (makes a change) and they are always restocking.

I'd have to say if you were buying based on the COMEX price then your timing IMO is just about perfect. Either way a very good time to jump in if you can.

small order placed with CID & I have recieved my email invoice.

can you just pay the total into the UK HSBC bank details listed on there website then ? or is it better to wait until the invoice comes ?

can you just pay the total into the UK HSBC bank details listed on there website then ? or is it better to wait until the invoice comes ?

if you have the email invoice, then you have the invoice?!?! the payment instructions come in the email with the invoice - read them carefully the first time (you have to quote the invoice number in your hsbc payment, something i forgot to do first time).

I would wait for the invoice personally, there's no immediate rush. I have paid a week later because of banking problems and it wasn't a problem. I would add to Aardvark's comments that I would include the invoice number on every bank transfer to them. Bear in mind, if at any point you are going to do a large purchase, to break it in to chunks, so they don't ask for ID. After a certain value they require documentation in case you are money laundering, I think it's around £10K. Whilst it probably doesn't matter, it is preferable to stay off as many radars as possible.

You can buy my whole stash @ £800ish, in fact I can supply quite a bit at that price if you need it. :P

thanks, BUT I would have said it was because I was skint tbh, although the £800ish buy points have stuck in my mind, I would have still bought at £900-£950 tbh (& still will). I was going to buy in at £800 last year BUT I needed the cash to do work on my house in France (work I had promised my renters I would do), so I didn't buy then.

Having said that, remember I am only buying a small amount now (under 5k).

if you have the email invoice, then you have the invoice?!?! the payment instructions come in the email with the invoice - read them carefully the first time (you have to quote the invoice number in your hsbc payment, something i forgot to do first time).

dear xxxx

"We would like to thank you for your order which has just been registered and will be processed immediately. Please transfer the amount of GBP 1914.06 to our below listed on the invoice before 27.10.2008. Please select an appropriate account based on the currency of your purchase."

aha, due to the phrasing of the text I didn't open up the 1st link, but found the exact same info on there website. :rolleyes:

I would wait for the invoice personally, there's no immediate rush. I have paid a week later because of banking problems and it wasn't a problem. I would add to Aardvark's comments that I would include the invoice number on every bank transfer to them. Bear in mind, if at any point you are going to do a large purchase, to break it in to chunks, so they don't ask for ID. After a certain value they require documentation in case you are money laundering, I think it's around £10K. Whilst it probably doesn't matter, it is preferable to stay off as many radars as possible.

I don't think there is any fear of that happening in the near future. I decided to only buy 2k's worth today, but I do plan to try to buy about 2-3k every year.

My stepdad has just retired & just got a 100k lump, he also has about 200k in other banks. :blink::unsure: The stoopid bugger has it all in cash & isa's even after I gave him all the advice last year of what was about to happen. My mam also has about 50k ish in cash accounts ffs.

I need their cash with my investment strategies, learnt from here. :(

I fear in the current climate my inheritance is being either inflated away &/or taken away by the banking system.

edited - I have about another 2.5k in cash in the house, which I think is still needed even though I know it would be better placed in gold no doubt.

You're still better off than me, my dad bought an £800K house in December/January, thats £200K nailed instantly. Thanks dad!

I don't think there is any fear of that happening in the near future. I decided to only buy 2k's worth today, but I do plan to try to buy about 2-3k every year.

My stepdad has just retired & just got a 100k lump, he also has about 200k in other banks. :blink::unsure: The stoopid bugger has it all in cash & isa's even after I gave him all the advice last year of what was about to happen. My mam also has about 50k ish in cash accounts ffs.

I need their cash with my investment strategies, learnt from here. :(

I fear in the current climate my inheritance is being either inflated away &/or taken away by the banking system.

edited - I have about another 2.5k in cash in the house, which I think is still needed even though I know it would be better placed in gold no doubt.

It seems almost deliberate. At least I managed to stop him pushing my brother in to buying 2 houses in roughly the same time frame. I think they have a FA friend who's given them exceptionally bad advice and he wouldn't hear anything to the contrary. He still thinks this is just a blip and it will go back up... Why can't I find someone as stupid to buy my house... :D

oh, that's bad timing.....

I assume you also have a dad that thinks he knows better then... <_<

I do not think this analogy holds. A chart merely reflects the day to day behaviour of the market; it is arbitrary. An architect's plan reflects an understanding of certain objective rules of geometry and engineering; it is orderly [in the long run the market is constrained to be rational]. An understanding of macro-economics and fundamentals is the equivalent of the long term plan.

Charts are more like the daily weather forecast; to know whether you can build or not for that particular day. :)

Edit: Someone with a fundamental macro-picture which is positive for gold will not buy gold when seeing it spike. Rather, when POG is in a downward channel as it is now, they will buy. They will in effect read charts in "reverse" to those with no macro picture. They will still use the charts... but as a mere "weather report".

Regards.

I spent the day working on some 208 year charts :blink: :blink: :blink:

:lol:

OK I see what you mean, we're looking at the charts slightly differently. I'll get my terminology people to speak to your terminology people and we'll get this mess sorted out.

I mean that the general trend is downward so a corrective move would be upward.

It depends which way you are looking at the market