Gold Reserves Compared to Money Supply

According to the World Gold Council, at the end of 2006 the central banks of the 38 countries within these 25 economic areas held 24,170 tonnes of gold.

This represents 91.3% of the gold held by all countries of the world. At current Gold Prices, the value of the gold held by these 38 countries is $749.2 billion.

This suggests that, while official gold reserves as a proportion of broad money supply (M3) is barely 1.2%, the value of official central bank gold reserves equals 19.6% of the value of outstanding currency (M0) at present.

M0 (US$bn) M1 (US$bn) M2 (US$bn) M3 (US$bn) Exchange (1USD = ) Date Taken

EU 1,013.4 6,072.7 12,039.9 14,197.4 0.6355 EUR May-08

UK 99.1 1,990.7 3,291.1 3,882.3 0.5055 GBP May-08

US 832.6 1,388.3 7,688.1 13,800.0 1.0000 USD Jun-08

What I find astounding is that the total value of the central bank's gold barley covers the Americans bailout bill!!

It makes gold seem almost insignificant when compared to the values stated in the table.

Which is why it will go through the roof with Bretton Woods II :rolleyes:

I have to vent my spleen here and say that Gordon Brown seems to be revelling in the attention he is getting right now. Anyone see the press conference where a pager/mobile rang and he made a joke saying "is that another bank going down!" - the man is a joke - only 12 months ago he was saying how strong the economy is - what short memories people have - why can't the masses see through these puppets? :blink: Vent over.

SafeBetter

SafeBetter

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

this is IT! te best buy time. I am all in, gold, oil, silver. Silver is more bullish than everything, it may surprise with a spike. Just watch for the close, we must close higher, if not, we are going to keep testing tomorrow. do not put stop in profits, accept the risk, otherwise your position will be wiped out by the market sharks, waters are turbulent.

I feel you are very right. i am too busy to follow and understand any news at the moment, and its all happening so so so quick. Something about brown buying bank shares today;I have no idea what it means. I cant keep up, as soon as i understand this there will be more tomorrow. ;But its so simple to have gold :rolleyes:

So today watching the tv news;

has gordon brown saved the world with his policies? The news says yes, I think there's worse to come; it could all backfire horribly.

I feel you are very right. i am too busy to follow and understand any news at the moment, and its all happening so so so quick. Something about brown buying bank shares today;I have no idea what it means. I cant keep up, as soon as i understand this there will be more tomorrow. ;But its so simple to have gold :rolleyes:

has gordon brown saved the world with his policies? The news says yes, I think there's worse to come; it could all backfire horribly.

you know, i don't watch the news on the TV anymore, I read articles, blogs and etc... this is how I stay away from fear, panic and stuff like that.

Hi Catflap - good find on the contracts.

I just spotted that the report from 'marketforceanalysis.com' was for Oct/Dec 2007.

$1200 or ~ £700 - nice!! ;)

SafeBetter

You might enjoy reading these recent articles as well - all on the marketforceanalysis.com website and written by Adrian Douglas:

http://marketforceanalysis.com/Publication...%20PHYSICAL.pdf

http://marketforceanalysis.com/Publication...20the%20Sun.pdf

http://marketforceanalysis.com/Publication...LD%20SHORTS.pdf

http://marketforceanalysis.com/Publication...20OI%202008.pdf

It's funny; I didn't feel as dejected about gold when it was $750 as I feel now.

I'm beginning to think I don't really have the temperament for investing. I was never one for fairground rides...

Read this:

Bond Market Collapse is Imminent

This is the big one

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=4665

It should make you feel a LOT better.

Hmm, looks like Marc Faber's jumped off according to this Bloomberg report . . .

Yes they like to misquote <_<

As markets may recover from now to next March, the full sense of security will come back into the market, and people will not be that interested in gold,''

He said a "false sense of security"

Also said US and other governments close to becoming bankrupt an the US will sooner or later.

His newsletter still advises buying gold on the dips.

Interview here top right corner.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=ayQbaoc.5lLE

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIVpMXHqlk&...feature=related :)

Looks like a nice double bottom could be in place

chartrh9.gif

And the lease rates are also bullish

augo0030lscy1.gif

SO GOLD may be on the launch pad again

== ==

DO BE CAREFUL : there's also some real threat of a bigger collapse.

If the lease rates werent so high,I would just stand aside. With those lease rates

some GLD,GDX, or RGLD calls could be good.

Market turmoil: Stampede of fear into oil, gold

http://www.commodityonline.com/news/Market...-12153-3-1.html

Here is my market note on the global financial turmoil:

• Accumulate gold, silver in physical form - coins, bars, truckloads

• HOLD OFF on all equity buying - markets are extremely volatile and VOID of any valuation logic

• As I predicted, we got the rate cuts from EVERYBODY - Central Banks collude to cut

• Deflationary tendencies to be fought with EVERYTHING in the arsenal - may lead to hyperinflationary spiral ; Reflation is now underway

• Impossible to save with negative rates in most Western countries as inflation is raging ... but off the radar screen ; the only thing holding value has been gold.

I wish I had more money to buy gld with, but I am now 102% in. Each month I am financially crippling myself to buy as much as possible. Is everyone else 100% in?

About 30% as insurance which I hope does not pay out but on the other hand is a nice pension pot on its own.

I wish I had more money to buy gld with, but I am now 102% in. Each month I am financially crippling myself to buy as much as possible. Is everyone else 100% in?

About 50%, but considering more. Getting very worried about the future of Sterling more than anything else.

I am 100% im PM: 80%gold and 20%silver but from now on I will only add my monthly savings in silver.