Exactly.

Add to that, there is a perfect storm brewing of massive monetary stimulus in the face of commodity supply shortages (especially food).

http://www.sundayherald.com/news/heraldnew...food_crisis.php

Not to mention the possibility of oil hitting $110 this week! This will all lead to seriously hard times for many people.

I am glad to be holding gold and silver right now.

I filled up my car this morning - there was a woman on the other side of the pump complaining about the price as it had gone up 10% overnight, yes that is right 10% increase overnight, 2.99 to 3.19. I agreed with her and she then went on a tirade about the middle east. I told her petrol had not moved in value, what you are seeing is the dollar crashing. She seemed to get what I was saying. The masses are going to rush out of the dollar when the penny drops.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

I filled up my car this morning - there was a woman on the other side of the pump complaining about the price as it had gone up 10% overnight, yes that is right 10% increase overnight, 2.99 to 3.19. I agreed with her and she then went on a tirade about the middle east. I told her petrol had not moved in value, what you are seeing is the dollar crashing. She seemed to get what I was saying. The masses are going to rush out of the dollar when the penny drops.

I saw a Texaco station showing diesel at £1.18 this morning.. Thats going to shock a few people when they go to fill up tomorrow morning I think. B):ph34r:

I saw a Texaco station showing diesel at £1.18 this morning.. Thats going to shock a few people when they go to fill up tomorrow morning I think. B):ph34r:

The moves in petrol prices are going to severe - 3-5p increases will not be uncommon. If Gold +1K doesn't get their attention that will. So much for the deflationists.

The moves in petrol prices are going to severe - 3-5p increases will not be uncommon. If Gold +1K doesn't get their attention that will. So much for the deflationists.

I'm seeing quite a lot of the deflationist / commodity bubble output over at HPC.co.uk towers, yet the only bubble I'm seeing is in US and UK M3 and M4 data. :ph34r:

Strange how he doesn't talk about billions upon billions being lent to keep these banks in business... But I guess thats what happens when you fail to understand the limitless power of the printing press.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...=70256&st=0

'Tis strange how those that talk of hyper inflation of the money supply see it in isolation from the even larger collapse in derivative and asset backed debt.

The desperate switch into commodities will be relatively short-lived and will fall so hard and fast it will make your nose bleed.

Oil, food and that other thing are trading on thin air. IBs are desperately trying to claw back enough capital to continue in business. Increases in money supply (even if correct) is a total red herring in this highly deflationary environment.

There may be another 12 months or so to go in this commodity "boom" and whoever is holding them when the music stops (and the dollar is supported by the entire western world and probably the Asian world as well) will be wiped out. B)

Taken from an article on bulliondesk.com

The potential off take of physical silver from the widespread use of RFID

technology is obviously highly dependent on the performance of the market and

the adoption of the technology. Our current projections are summarised below.

These volumes are by no means going to replace the decline in silver off take

from the photographic industry, but, unlike the photographic industry, RFID

technology does not lend itself to silver recycling. As most of these tags will

form part of packing and collection will prove difficult, it is unlikely that RFID

tags will be collectable on a scale large enough for commercially viable

recycling. Moreover, research suggests that RFID tags do not affect the paper

recycling process, which means there will be no need to strip off the tags prior to

recycling. Rather surprisingly though, some businesses are planning to buy used

RFID tags to re-programme and resell, potentially at a discounted rate. The

Estimated RFID sales

Tags billion/year mg Ag/tag kg Ag/year Moz Ag/year

2007 1.91 10.9 20,819 0.67

2008 4.31 10.9 46,979 1.51

2009 6.71 10.9 73,139 2.35

2010 9.11 10.9 99,299 3.19

2011 11.51 10.9 125,459 4.03

2012 13.91 10.9 151,619 4.87

2013 16.31 10.9 177,779 5.72

2014 18.71 10.9 203,939 6.56

2015 21.11 10.9 230,099 7.4

2016 23.51 10.9 256,259 8.24

2017 25.79 10.9 281,057 9.04

Source: IdTechex.com

8 | The silver book | January 2008 Fortis/VM Group

danger is that silvers current high price could also result in thrifting and

substitution in this end use of the metal. The development of conductive

polymers could replace silver but at the moment the cost of the polymers is far

greater than silver, at $200/gram, and commercial production is still a long way

off.

On balance it is likely that the costs of passive RFID tags will tumble over the

next five years as their use becomes more widespread and the manufacturers of

RFIDs compete for greater market share. RFIDs will become a prominent player

in the world of inventory and logistic control. The extent to which they grow

will depend on the benefits the technology brings to those who use it. Silver will

without doubt benefit and we have included this source of demand in our

projected supply/demand balance

That's a lot of unrecycled silver!

kb

Red Kharma is a day trader or more correctly gambler. Red will get badly burnt one day. It happens to all them sooner or later.

He hates gold in the same way as Realist Bear. He likes to argue a contrarian view but deep down they both know whats coming.

I very much doubt either of them keep paper promises under their mattresses. :ph34r: I'm more than happy to keep my gold and silver there though. B)

Your welcome. Its difficult to tell the others where we are as you get "moderated" for it. Its kind of digital tasering. Id like to see cgnao here.

I have a link in my signature on "the other site" that seems to have gone un-noticed by the mods. It links to this forum via tinyurl.com so won't get auto-filtered.

I agree though. HPC really has turned into some hangout for hippies lately.... all this talk of growing your own food, how investing/profit is bad, etc... Anyone who discovers HPC.co.uk these days has a very high change of thinking it's inhabited by a bunch of "it's not fair, I want a cheap house, anyone who's been successful deserves to rot in hell" jealous whingers.

Getting back on-topic ... it's good to see both G&S making a start in the right direction for the week.... (and the GEI board back on-line).

I have a link in my signature on "the other site" that seems to have gone un-noticed by the mods. It links to this forum via tinyurl.com so won't get auto-filtered.

I agree though. HPC really has turned into some hangout for hippies lately.... all this talk of growing your own food, how investing/profit is bad, etc... Anyone who discovers HPC.co.uk these days has a very high change of thinking it's inhabited by a bunch of "it's not fair, I want a cheap house, anyone who's been successful deserves to rot in hell" jealous whingers.

Getting back on-topic ... it's good to see both G&S making a start in the right direction for the week.... (and the GEI board back on-line).

The dollar had a major leg down last week - and gold went down. That tells me they are trying desperately to keep the masses inside the financial system (banks). That is you transfer your hard earned lolly from one currency to another - but you still keep it in the banking system - which is global. Sooner or later Gold is going to catch up.

Some of the threads on that site are becoming downright depressing and hateful. Some poster was parroting on and on about how (s)he HATES 4X4 drivers as they are responsible for the fictional global warming and also high petrol prices. If (s)he hates them what must (s)he think of the masses that poodle off to the airport a couple times a year, take a plane ride to some exotic local, get drunk, eat too much, and spend the rest of the day sleeping on beach getting some form of skin cancer which is rampant in the UK and costs the NHS (taxpayers) millions every year. They must be ready to take them out with a rifle and telescopic sight. Or is that behavior okay to them?

Some of the threads on that site are becoming downright depressing and hateful. Some poster was parroting on and on about how (s)he HATES 4X4 drivers as they are responsible for the fictional global warming and also high petrol prices. If (s)he hates them what must (s)he think of the masses that poodle off to the airport a couple times a year, take a plane ride to some exotic local, get drunk, eat too much, and spend the rest of the day sleeping on beach getting some form of skin cancer which is rampant in the UK and costs the NHS millions every year. They must be ready to take them out with a rifle and telescopic sight. Or is that behavior okay to them?

Well it seems I can post on there again but only once the message has been screened by a moderator. :ph34r:

But i agree, some strange stuff going on over there.

:ph34r:B)

But seriously....the chart to watch is possibly Gold/JPY...if gold starts to founder against the No1 world creditor's currency then gold will loose its lustre and global deflation will occur. Since Aug07 the Yen has not been repatriated to the extent one might have thought. Instead this hot money has moved into commodities where it is yielding well....so far.

Buying a pack of Cigarettes in Zim?

57493_ZimbabweMoney.jpg

Systematic margin calls claim JPM. Another red alarm going off yesterday - commodities are now the only safe haven.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Wall Street banks are facing a "systemic margin call" that may deplete banks of $325 billion of capital due to deteriorating subprime U.S. mortgages, JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM.N), said in a report late on Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080308/bs_nm/...losses_jpm_dc_1

We are moving into a full-blown REALITY PHASE when such comments are picked up and printed

by the likes of mainstreamers like JPM

Selected Gloomberg headlines this morning:

* Asian Stocks Fall to 7-Week Low on U.S. Jobs Report; Toyota Leads Decline

* Dollar Declines as Traders Start to Bet Fed Will Cut Benchmark Rate to 2%

* Yen Bulls Test Bank of Japan's Indifference to Biggest Rally This Decade

* TIPS Prove Bernanke Has Lost Control of Inflation as Yields Turn Negative

* European Stock-Index Futures Drop; Natixis, UBS, Credit Suisse May Decline

* Auction-Rate Collapse Spurs Bond Sale `Tidal Wave,' Hearings in Congress

* China Rail Construction Shares Rise, Nation's Worst IPO Debut Since 2006

I started a Buying Woodland thread on HPC.co.uk which became a growing vegetables/becoming a hermit thread! :lol:

Having said that, I feel that I owe HPC.co.uk a great deal[1] for opening my eyes, and for putting me in what I believe to be a stronger financial position. So, I do still like to hang out there and post.

As far as I'm concerned, life's too short to concern myself with how others wish to run their forums. As long as I still feel as though I have something to learn from HPC.co.uk[2], I intend to continue visiting. And I'm sure as long as I'm not deemed to be making a nuisance of myself, I'll be allowed to continue visiting and posting.

So, for now, I continue to learn a few things, and they get someone contributing to their website-hit figures. To some extent, it's just tit-for-tat...

Okay, so I'm a hippie too! :lol:

[1] Not least of which was finding GEI many months ago!

[2] Which, when you know as little as I do, could be for quite some time to come! :)

think that is quite a good idea - peak oil will mean that the days of transporTing lettuce 10,000 miles will be very expensive. I think we are going to need to buy more locally for most things in the future -globalisation is fine if everyone gets on.

Having said that, I feel that I owe HPC.co.uk a great deal[1] for opening my eyes, and for putting me in what I believe to be a stronger financial position. So, I do still like to hang out there and post.

Oh, don't get me wrong... I owe the forum (and its posters) a great deal. Arguably they helped me decide to STR too early. :lol: ... but we'll overlook that.

I just don't like what it seems to have turned into over the past 3-6 months. I guess the way to change that is to actively post. But, like many, my free time is limited and I have to carefully choose what to spend it on.