That's news to me !

I wonder if anyone on here has managed to buy a gold coin below spot :D

I got 2x 1974 Krugs for £470 each from a little back street shop this week... Didn't even try to haggle him - guy didn't know current spot. Still, I reckon PMs could well be in for another kicking!

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Gold goes mainstream. Never thought I'd see a Buffalo on the front page of the Guardian.

I was only half listening, but Sarah Montague mentioned buying gold on BBC Radio 4's Today programme (their 6am-9am news and current affairs show).

I imagine they were doing the Today's Papers slot and she was just reporting this Guardian story, but as I say I was only half listening at the time -- at least before the mention of gold caused me to prick up my ears...

After chatting about the Irish decision to guarantee 100% of deposits and the response of savers, she said something along the lines of, "Meanwhile, some investors are taking matters into their own hands, and are buying gold."

The first page:

Page 1 of 5

CHINA'S DOLLAR MILLSTONE, Part 4

Gold, manipulation and domination

By Henry C K Liu

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China_Business/JJ02Cb03.html

Either I'm missing something or you can't get backwards without understanding the URL !!!

posted in it's entirety here:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=4451

All this mainstream talk about gold can only mean one thing...A large slump in the POG is imminent!

Whenever the media picks up on this story gold falls soon after.

Might be best to wait until Joe Public has been shaken out before stocking up again. <_<

at what point does platinum become a complete steal?! :blink:

I'd say when it's cheaper than gold. Happens every now and then, there are charts around.

I will start loading up with Platinum and Palladium when this happens. At least that's what I think at the moment.

I'd say when it's cheaper than gold. Happens every now and then, there are charts around.

I will start loading up with Platinum and Palladium when this happens. At least that's what I think at the moment.

Surely, you would have to be absolutely certain that a possible depression would not knock out the bull market in commodities to do that.

I am still undecided about the bull in commodities due to this looming nasty possibly global recession.

Edit: Some of the commentators calling for the bull in commodities have only ever seen inflation everywhere and have pretty much missed the deflationary picture until now.

I only have some "remote" physical gold and silver with BV and GM and I am now seriously thinking of "diversifying" my bullion investments by buying some coins. I have actually been thinking about it for quite a while now but still did not make the step.

One important question is the delivery process? How do you get delivered? Do you do it at work? If at home, aren't you afraid of the delivery man coming back at your place while you are on holiday with his van and a couple of friends to take your half-a-ton safe?

I am really sceptical about the security of holding bullion at home. Any thought on the matter? I may be too paranoid, I don't know.

I am really sceptical about the security of holding bullion at home. Any thought on the matter? I may be too paranoid, I don't know.

I was more paranoid about holding my powder in dollars in the bank. Too much counter-party risk and all that. Due to the more drastic "banks can collapse" to the more mundane "inflation erodes your money", I couldn't get my money out fast enough.

Frankly, I do not understand why people fear holding gold at home. Have we been conditioned this way? :blink:

Seconded Casimir, my concern about physical-at-home is how to store it with less risk than the risk of systematic financial meltdown rendering my BV 'unsafe'.

P.S. I live overseas, but will move back to the UK c.2011 (hopefully in time to buy a nice pad for not that much cash). What are the legalities and practicalities of moving physical bullion across the world? I can't drive to the UK so it would need to be by plane or boat.... Not sure I want pickfords packing up my gold nor I am clear if I can take it as 'hand luggage' on the aeroplane....

Wanderer

Yes.

But normally gold hits mainstream media after a multi-month run. That is the only difference. We are in a period of consolidation.

This time, gold's recent price activity isn't the reason why it's in the news. Presumably, as far as TV, radio and newspapers are concerned, it's just part of the 'Loss of Trust in Banks' story.

BTW, buying gold was just mentioned on BBC News 24. People, they said, are queuing up to buy gold. Has anyone heard of people actually queuing (e.g. lining up outside Chard's) or was this just a figure of speech?

Seconded Casimir, my concern about physical-at-home is how to store it with less risk than the risk of systematic financial meltdown rendering my BV 'unsafe'.

P.S. I live overseas, but will move back to the UK c.2011 (hopefully in time to buy a nice pad for not that much cash). What are the legalities and practicalities of moving physical bullion across the world? I can't drive to the UK so it would need to be by plane or boat.... Not sure I want pickfords packing up my gold nor I am clear if I can take it as 'hand luggage' on the aeroplane....

Wanderer

Send the coins in small quantities AIRMAIL + INSURED to your destination address prior to leaving. I sent some coins yesterday to China using Royal Mail Overseas 'signed for' + extra insurance. Most countries will have similar systems.

Alternatively, do you have any family in the UK to 'hold' the coins for you?

This time, gold's recent price activity isn't the reason why it's in the news. Presumably, as far as TV, radio and newspapers are concerned, it's just part of the 'Loss of Trust in Banks' story.

BTW, buying gold was just mentioned on BBC News 24. People, they said, are queuing up to buy gold. Has anyone heard of people actually queuing (e.g. lining up outside Chard's) or was this just a figure of speech?

double-agent posted this in the last page.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/oc...nking.economics

There's gold in them thar' shops: the rush is on

Tucked away beside the ornate entrance of the Savoy hotel in London are the discreet premises of ATS Bullion. Over the last few days staff there have witnessed an unprecedented phenomenon: queues.

One of the contributors to this thread said yesterday he had to queue at ATS (not out on the street though, I hope :D . I guess it's a little more discreet next to the Savoy).

I only have some "remote" physical gold and silver with BV and GM and I am now seriously thinking of "diversifying" my bullion investments by buying some coins. I have actually been thinking about it for quite a while now but still did not make the step.

One important question is the delivery process? How do you get delivered? Do you do it at work? If at home, aren't you afraid of the delivery man coming back at your place while you are on holiday with his van and a couple of friends to take your half-a-ton safe?

Most of the online companies ship by insured freight.

If it didn't work they wouldn't be in business.

As for the security, well, nothing's perfect.

I tend to only keep an emergency stash at home - enough to get to the country.

Rest stored in various bolt-holes in different directions out of London.

One advantage is the "value per volume" of gold - really don't need much secure space to store a reasonable stash.

double-agent posted this in the last page.

One of the contributors to this thread said yesterday he had to queue at ATS (not out on the street though, I hope :D . I guess it's a little more discreet next to the Savoy).

Too late to queue now.. they only have a single 1oz Gold Philamonika as of 13:30 today (for £560).. no others products either like bullion bars

Anyone with any explanations for the current price action in gold ? I'd've thought the whole bailout rejection issue would've seen gold fly but we're heading toward $850. I can understand the dollar strengthening against the euro given Trichet's more dovish tone but the system is still screwed. I realise investors can be a daft lot most of the time but surely the case for gold over US Treausuries has been made ?

If there are queues outside ATS Bullion, then why is gold displaying such weird price action ?

Anyone with any explanations for the current price action in gold ? I'd've thought the whole bailout rejection issue would've seen gold fly but we're heading toward $850. I can understand the dollar strengthening against the euro given Trichet's more dovish tone but the system is still screwed. I realise investors can be a daft lot most of the time but surely the case for gold over US Treausuries has been made ?

If there are queues outside ATS Bullion, then why is gold displaying such weird price action ?

It is all about deflation at the moment. That is what the market is focusing on and is flying to "safety" in the dollar.

The gold bull's day will come when the dollar starts to dive. We see the logic of inflation.. but that will only bite at a later date.

It is all about deflation at the moment. That is what the market is focusing on and is flying to "safety" in the dollar.

The gold bull's day will come when the dollar starts to dive. We see the logic of inflation.. but that will only bite at a later date.

Not today the USDX 80.7!!!