• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

Anyone got any views on Panda's, quite fancy the 2008 ones available from coininvest, they seem that bit shinier, which is always good. And I reckon they be that little bit more valuable in the future... ?

Novice here and a convert from HPC.

Does the type of coin actually matter? Surely an Oz of gold is an Oz of gold and providing it's in a universally recognised format (and trusted as such) then the actual physical characteristics don't matter?

The reason I ask is that the spreads on buy/sell of physical gold at my local dealer vary quite markedly. US Eagles seem chapest on both counts and that's what I'm minded to take home.

Have I missed something?

Anyone got any views on Panda's, quite fancy the 2008 ones available from coininvest, they seem that bit shinier, which is always good. And I reckon they be that little bit more valuable in the future... ?

Bought one about 4 weeks ago, mmmm.... very nice, it was more out of curiosity, the rest were krugs and maples.

Novice here and a convert from HPC.

Does the type of coin actually matter? Surely an Oz of gold is an Oz of gold and providing it's in a universally recognised format (and trusted as such) then the actual physical characteristics don't matter?

The reason I ask is that the spreads on buy/sell of physical gold at my local dealer vary quite markedly. US Eagles seem chapest on both counts and that's what I'm minded to take home.

Have I missed something?

No. The type of coin doesn't really matter. An Oz of gold is an Oz of gold. Some people prefer some coins purely for aesthetic reasons. My advice is just go for the coin with the lowest dealer margin over spot. Usually this seems to be 1oz kruggerands, or maybe sovereigns (which are capital gains free if you are uk based). If you can get eagles cheaper than any other 1 oz coin then that seems good. I noticed coininvestdirect.com were doing a special offer on krugs recently. Shop around.

At Coininvestdirect:

A £52 spread on a 1 Oz coin... whoa...real gold is disappearing...

How much was a decent spread - say last year - when the market did not show these retail physical shortages (in %)?

I was under the impression that 5-10% is the norm?? :(

Looks like the resistance at 910 is about to pop.

Not quite...

Could it be the PPT?

I was expecting Gold to go down today to mark the success of the bailout (and helped/managed by the PPT)

Maybe they are trying to limit the collateral damage from the failed bailout?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080926/ap_on_...ancial_meltdown

Congress restarts troubled bailout talks

.../...

But in a sign of continuing division, House Minority Leader John Boehner demanded that "serious consideration" be given to a radically different proposal that provides no government money up front for a financial rescue.

"If such consideration is not given, a large majority of Republicans cannot — and will not — support" the administration's plan, Boehner said in a letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.

.../...

about 10 mins after I posted this on Friday, the original content of the article had been updated such that Boehner's quote had been removed. It seems to me that the mainstream press has tried to steamroll this bail-out since day 1.

Democracy wins today

Well..

All these moves just look puny now since I saw the 100 dollar move last week.

I think gold has shed the Euro/Dollar correlation and now broke the $910 resistance set up since the 100 dollar move.

I'm thinking that it might be setting up a parabola at the moment, the 5 minute and 1 minute charts look very exciting.