President Bush may make a prime-time speech as early as Wednesday night to put pressure on Congress to approve a $700 billion plan to bail out Wall Street, a senior administration official told CNN.

I don't really expect Bush to understand the world of finance and economics, but he really looks lately (even more than normal) like he's just reading words out loud when he's making a speech.

He makes it look SO obvious that he doesn't have any clue about what he's saying.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G0ldfinger

• romans holiday

• drbubb

• Steve Netwriter

It is very important to recognise where we are at this juncture, the 74-76 mid cycle low hit where debt levels and desperation were not at critical levels, the low was allowed to happen quite easily.

We are entering a once in a lifetime, 1 in 100 year event which CANNOT be controlled as easily, this commodity cycle i feel will behave a lot differently than the last.

I agree with that but it's wise to be aware that the same thing could happen - nothing worse that buying a peak and then seeing a big drop. This really is a once in a lifetime event but I would say it's more like 1 in 72 years - South Sea bubble 1720, Canal mania 1793, Overend and Gurney bank run 1866, 1929 crash and early 30's depression and where we are today.

Thanks for posting that, I actually understood it. :rolleyes:

:lol:

So did I ;)

I don't really expect Bush to understand the world of finance and economics, but he really looks lately (even more than normal) like he's just reading words out loud when he's making a speech.

He makes it look SO obvious that he doesn't have any clue about what he's saying.

Yep, and I would add Bernanke and Paulson to that. Thinking keystone cops and Buster Keaton here. Gotta laugh at the absurdity of things.

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=DlkdtS8OFlA

wow, suspension of elections possible:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

McCain Suspends Campaign; Obama Presses for Debate (Update2)

Sept. 24 (Bloomberg) -- John McCain made a surprise announcement that he was suspending his presidential campaign and called on Democratic rival Barack Obama to postpone their first debate until Congress hammers out a plan to steady the financial markets.

Good gracious. :o Lets's hope it's only some sort of manoevering.

Oh they are preparing alright!

Army Unit to Deploy in October for Domestic Operations

Beginning in October, the Army plans to station an active unit inside the United States for the first time to serve as an on-call federal response in times of emergency. The 3rd Infantry Division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team has spent thirty-five of the last sixty months in Iraq, but now the unit is training for domestic operations. The unit will soon be under the day-to-day control of US Army North, the Army service component of Northern Command. The Army Times reports this new mission marks the first time an active unit has been given a dedicated assignment to Northern Command. The paper says the Army unit may be called upon to help with civil unrest and crowd control. The soldiers are learning to use so-called nonlethal weapons designed to subdue unruly or dangerous individuals and crowds.

When the currency has no buying power anymore, yet the country is full of guns, the guns just might BECOME the buying power! :o

BBC: Bush's address.

Bush: "Even if you have good credit history, it would be more difficult for you to get the loans you need to buy a car..."

Apparently, ordinary people 'need' loans to do ordinary things.

"You can't fool all of the people all of the time". :)

I am hoping this crisis, and the proposed solutions, will help people see how corrupt the system is. If it doesn't, maybe this maxim is falsfied. :(

Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur's take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S27yitK32ds

[Tin foil hat: ON!] :)

I am fascinated by trying to spot correlations between the situation we're currently experiencing and other economically interesting times -- particularly between 1900 and 1930 or so.

What this congresswoman has to say reminded me of a piece from a video I've linked to before (as have others I'm sure) which is an account of the shenanigans associated with the setting up of the Fed and in the decade or three that followed.

The video documentary is Zeitgeist, and the bit I was thinking of begins at 1:17:40 (interestingly with the Jefferson quote mentioned in the quotes thread).

If anyone has ten minutes to spare to watch a bit of this video, I'd be interested to hear what others think about the points of similarity between then and now (at least as Zeitgeist reports them -- although how accurate this video is, I can't say).

What is really going on behind the scenes, or is this just a poorly-thought-out (but necessary?) bailout as a result of simple greed and fear (in that order) of ordinary traders, borrowers and lenders? If we're living through times similar to around 80 to 100 years ago, at what stage (and in what year) are we at when compared with that period?

Last time, the behind-the-scenes goal (or perhaps one of the goals) was the setting up of the Fed. If there really are shadowy figures behind the scenes pulling the strings, what's their plan this time? When we look back at now, what will we realise they've achieved that our current situation is greasing the wheels for?